Author Topic: Your most fun character vs. your most powerful character  (Read 15190 times)

Supermax

• Minion
Your most fun character vs. your most powerful character
« on: July 31, 2014, 10:45:38 PM »
I just found this place yesterday, and it's brought back a lot of memories. Since there's a faint hope of CoH coming back at some point, I've been thinking about my old toons and new ones that I'd make if given the opportunity. That brought me to the question in the subject. Now maybe your most fun character was also your most powerful. But maybe you're like me, and it wasn't.

For me, my most fun toon, and the one I would most likely remake first, was my Fire/EM blaster. The blaster AT was arguably the hardest to play, because they had nothing to rely on except pure damage. But that's what I learned the game on, and after that, every other AT was a piece of cake. So why was it so fun? Just because of the challenge. You couldn't just put a power on auto, jump into the middle of a huge spawn, and then leave to make a sandwich. You had to truly play your character, and if you made a single mistake, there's a good chance you'd die.

That brings me to my most power character, my Fire/SS tanker. He could do things the blaster couldn't even dream of. And I don't mean one or two things, but practically everything. Pretty much the only thing he did worse was damage dealing on a team. For everything else he was better. He was as close to godlike as you could get - a fire tank with the standard resists, a quick-recharging healing flames, the highest tier Rebirth for extra healing, and almost softcapped defense. You literally could put a power on auto and leave to make a sandwich. There was very little in the game that had even a chance of killing him.

And that was the beauty of CoH - the amazing variety in playstyles. If I wanted to just plow through stuff without being challenged, I'd play my tank. If I wanted to be kept on my toes, I'd play the blaster. Or I'd play something else, for yet another completely different experience. Ah...I miss it :(

Heroette

• Elite Boss
  • Penelope Pistol lives forever in my heart.
Re: Your most fun character vs. your most powerful character
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 11:39:56 PM »
My most fun character I had was the DP/Devices Blaster.  She was just so fun.  I like that I could set up mines, get my gun drone and shoot like crazy.  My most powerful character was my Ice/DM tank.  But she was boring.  I could jump in mobs and it was just one kill after another.  No challenge.  There were days that I wanted to just beat up stuff but most of the time, I just wanted to have fun so my main ended up being my blaster. 

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 01:35:59 AM »
 The concept of most fun vs most powerful doesnt register for me.. Powerful is fun.. and Powerful can mean many many different things

Charged Mastermind

• Lieutenant
  • I was 10 when I made this name i know it is dumb
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 01:45:04 AM »
I'd say my most fun and powerful character was my Dual Pistols/Devices Blaster Dual Bullets. I had a blast playing him (see what I did there? God I am so lonely), considering how he was my first Incarnate and my new main after that, I thought I would make him my main (aside from my Stone/Stone Tank) and it pretty much grew from there. I ended up hosting a Hami and Mamaship Raid and some trials, which made me like him even more.

My most fun character was probably my Robotics/Pain Domination MM Charged Mastermind. He didn't pack as much of a punch as Dual Bullets did in my opinion but the robots were so fun to watch. And Pain Domination (in my opinion) was better than Empathy. He eventually passed my Blaster in IOs and Incarnate stuff because I felt he was a bit more durable and fun to play than Dual Bullets, but he was still my favorite fun to play character.

My most powerful character in terms of damage was probably my Peacebringer. Ironic but I had slotted a lot of damage buffs and endurance reductions on him so Photon Seekers almost one shot a group of Bosses when I tested him in AE. Either my PB or my Scrapper was more powerful. I'd say equal.

My most powerful in terms of tanking was probably my Stone/Stone Tank. A rather basic set, but I felt that Granite Armor absorbed so much so I kept him going. Didn't play him much after Incarnate's came out because no one seemed to like Stone tanks anymore on Victory. Oh well.

houtex

• Elite Boss
  • I was the turkey all along! MEE!
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 02:44:05 AM »
My most powerful was probably Thing of Bigness.  Big stompin' guy who wore the biggest of everything possible.  In red/black colorations.  He looked ridiculous..ly awesome. :)  Even had the punkin' head to ensure his status as having all the big.  SS/WP brute.  He was fun fun fun.

But, and this the oddity, my most *fun* character was Brawling Humiliator.  I know, I know, guys and gals.... but I really enjoyed him.  If any haven't heard about him, Brawl/WP, street, solo, no contacts, and only Brawl.  Ever.  Got him to 50+.  He was fun, because he was hilarious, and also taught me a lot about how to deal with the enemies in ways I hadn't considered, which helped my other characters a LOT.

I mean... when you stroll in to a mob of +4 or +5 bad guys, what with maybe 4 minions, a LT or two, and a Boss, and... you just stand there, bappin' them in the face until one by one they just fall under the death of 1000 papercuts (in effect)...

I cackled the entire way to 50 over the course of the 6 months of 'when I could play'.  Totally worth it.

Then again, I'm insane.  I was the turkey all along, and I ride a pig.  Says so, and shows me in action, on the left there.

MaidMercury

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 06:54:51 AM »
It is hard to tell which character one will enjoy the most...You just have to create them and experiment.
I've deleted characters I was not having fun with.

In my case it was Venus, my empath, I eventually grew attached to.
She was so weak, I kept weapon, damage ability as low as I could to make her a super healer.

It was fun to be invited to missions, TF's only for such abilities. I think the Tanks, scrappers enjoyed protecting her
and other players like mine. We all had our jobs to do, that's all that mattered.

Mistress Urd

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2014, 10:27:37 AM »
My most powerful was probably Thing of Bigness.  Big stompin' guy who wore the biggest of everything possible.  In red/black colorations.  He looked ridiculous..ly awesome. :)  Even had the punkin' head to ensure his status as having all the big.  SS/WP brute.  He was fun fun fun.

But, and this the oddity, my most *fun* character was Brawling Humiliator.  I know, I know, guys and gals.... but I really enjoyed him.  If any haven't heard about him, Brawl/WP, street, solo, no contacts, and only Brawl.  Ever.  Got him to 50+.  He was fun, because he was hilarious, and also taught me a lot about how to deal with the enemies in ways I hadn't considered, which helped my other characters a LOT.

I mean... when you stroll in to a mob of +4 or +5 bad guys, what with maybe 4 minions, a LT or two, and a Boss, and... you just stand there, bappin' them in the face until one by one they just fall under the death of 1000 papercuts (in effect)...

I cackled the entire way to 50 over the course of the 6 months of 'when I could play'.  Totally worth it.

Then again, I'm insane.  I was the turkey all along, and I ride a pig.  Says so, and shows me in action, on the left there.

Oh, this reminded me of my friend who had "Brawlman" not quite the same idea although he did use brawl. a lot.

My Favorite was a fire/fire/fire blaster, so much AoE damage and carpet kissing! Got even more AoE when Overwhelming force came out. KB to KD made Bonfire OMG! sick.

My most powerful fire/kin controller, with quite of bit of purple was just off the charts sick, great at soloing and teaming.

Nightmarer

• Boss
  • We all float down here
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2014, 12:55:47 PM »
Hmmm, one of them would definitely be my Ice/Fire tanker, specially when teaming with other tanks and using my favourite bind "All your aggro belongs to meh!", the other one, definitely my Stone/Fire Brute. As I levelsed him before inherent fitness pool, I remember I spend all my inf on a lv 20 Miracle +recovery and still, when reaching lvl 20 and getting Stamina I was so relieved I even made a "yay! stamina!" bind. After lvl 20 and with liberal use of "Fault" it was probably funniest char I've ever played.-

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2014, 12:59:47 PM »
 I have a problem defining MOST powerful...

Firstly because I have several characters that are very powerful.. its hard to quantify which is MORE than the other..

Second.. what is Powerful?... Is it doing more damage ?? Is it the ability to survive more damage ?? Is it the ability to completely lockdown a mob and destroy them at your leisure?? Is it how fast you can defeat foes ?? Is it who can defeat the strongest foes ?? Is it Single Target damage being an effective boss killer? Is it AoE damage being able to wipe out mobs efficiently ?? Is it being an AV killer ??

And All of the characters I have created are fun for one reason or another.. There isnt one that is MORE fun than the other for me..

hejtmane

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2014, 03:16:50 PM »
I can say after playing scrappers with out taunt auras the ones with where way more fun for me to play before that and before IO's my spines/da was real fun but after

Fire/sd and my DB/EA where my two top tier builds I loved to play

My DB/EA was becoming my main and moving along (He was 50 but doing my TF's and getting my badges and incarnates and soloing a few AV's)  and then shut down gerr so he could do a lot but I ran out of time before I could do as through of an AV test on him to the extent I did my fire/sd he was powerful and real fun and I did take down several AV's his aoe was solid and I was still building to one IO to up his dps a little more

Before that my Fire/sd was my AV hunter and aoe farmer I could say he was my most tested I soloed somewhere between 10-15 of the AV's successfully with the following rules (Pre incarnate) no temp powers and no inspirations

Anyways those where my most fun and most powerful builds

Supermax

• Minion
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2014, 05:22:42 PM »
Second.. what is Powerful?... Is it doing more damage ?? Is it the ability to survive more damage ?? Is it the ability to completely lockdown a mob and destroy them at your leisure?? Is it how fast you can defeat foes ?? Is it who can defeat the strongest foes ?? Is it Single Target damage being an effective boss killer? Is it AoE damage being able to wipe out mobs efficiently ?? Is it being an AV killer ??

To me it's a combination of all of the above. Just overall power, and being able to do anything.

For example, my blaster was very fun, but all he could do was provide high levels of continuous single target and AoE DPS....if kept alive by teammates.

Meanwhile my tank could outdamage many scrappers, both in ST and AoE. He could survive practically anything. He could keep all aggro on himself, which is basically "crowd control" for the team. Or he could break off from the team and kill entire spawns by himself.

So looking at those two toons, there is no question about who was more powerful overall, even though the blaster could do more damage.

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2014, 10:00:36 PM »
I liked to roleplay, hopefully not to the point of being annoying.

So one of my fun to play toons was a nerco/dark MM named Necrophillia.
My most powerful had to be the wp/fire/fire tank Super Fire Dragon, who was also fun to play.

Blackstar5

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2014, 10:14:42 PM »
My most powerful in terms of defense was my Stone/stone tank
My most powerful In terms of damage was my dark/wp brute
my most fun ........ toss up between my dark/regen scrapper or my Street Justice/WP brute. both were hella fun.

mezzosoprano

• Underling
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2014, 12:46:28 AM »
Lots of contenders for both most powerful, but most fun I had, hands down, was my plant/storm controller. Purpled and IOd for ridiculous recharge, with damage procs everywhere, she was an aoe whirlwind of carnage. Stealth and seeds of confusion meant never eating an alpha. I only wish I'd discovered this combo sooner!

Iron-Emerald

• Minion
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2014, 01:22:14 AM »
My most powerful was my dark melee / invulnerable scrapper. She had a rough start battling CoT too often in low levels before I really knew how the game worked, but ended up a real powerhouse. Once I had my build together it was so much fun just wading into groups trusting on high defence and high resistance to protect me.

My most fun was still probably my energy / energy blaster. Played solo most of the way to 50 and really enjoyed knocking things about the place. Then by level 50 got my ranged defence and resistances up enough to start taking on AV's solo even. And it was pretty satisfying running about Dark Astoria with a blapper build too.
Honourable mention for duel pistols and water blast since I loved the special effects on them. :)

Byakuya523

• Underling
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2014, 01:38:02 AM »
Most powerful my energy/energy blaster, most fun my robots/thermal mastermind
Nahar 50 Energy/Energy Blaster
DraconicSins 50 Fire/Fire Tank
Chaotic Princess 50 Robotics/Thermal Radiation MM
Kugari 50 Titan Weapon/Super Reflex Brute

blacksly

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2014, 01:02:57 PM »
I got lucky... I made my Ill/Rad thinking that with all the options it was going to be a fun character. Lucked out into a FotM just by trying to have fun :D

ukaserex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2014, 01:30:17 PM »
I think that for me, fun varied with the mood I was in.

When I was younger, I used to read what I considered at the time, a silly series called The Destroyer with a character called Remo Williams. Now, Remo was kind of dull, but his mentor and trainer Chiun was truly the stuff legends are made of.

Not legends like Alexander the Great, comedic legends. The writers really had fun with this guy. Being older, I find the books to have staled with age, as the original pair of authors is no more. Richard Sapir and Warren Murphy somehow co-wrote these books working on them seperately. But, for me, when Sapir left the series before his death, that's when things got stale for me. Anyways, I would buy the books and skip through to Chiun's dialogue, just for the silly comments.

So, I made a super-reflexes scrapper called Klang the Trite. For some inexplicable reason, I wanted to make Klang similar to Chiun. I made him have a crush on Connie Chung, despite her marriage to that "Pale Piece of a Pig's Ear", Maury Povich. He also found Soap Opera's to be "lovely dramas".

The unsettling thing was that teaming with him was difficult, as he would want to be paid for his efforts. And his manners were a bit atrocious.
The dialog I used for him, well, I had a fun time with it, although I'm sure others were scratching their heads when I'd get an invite, I'd accept. But, I told them I couldn't possible risk my life for less than 1000 influence, payable in gold. And, the more difficult the task, the more I would ask for. Some gave it, as it was a nominal fee, others would just figuratively go "huh?". Some just kicked poor Klang without further comments.

Because he was an RP character, I put him on Virtue. But, because I'm a Liberty player at heart, Klang didn't get much love. His earnings are still embarassingly low for a highly esteemed Korean assassin. However, I believe he is still in @Sgt Pandora's sg on Virtue, or was at the game's end. I felt badly for not playing on the server much, but I think for some of us, we get that feeling of guilt when we're not on our home server. Eh, maybe that's just me. <shrug>

Aside from this character, I kind of have a tie for 2nd. Ukase Rex my main, ice/ice/Mace blaster (my badge toon, I want to say 1339 at the game's closing.) and Molten Heat, Fire/Mental/ Cold, another blaster (one of my two different characters to get The Really Hard Way. Loved that trial - mainly the epic fight against Cole in the end, avoiding the lightning.)
Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2014, 05:22:23 PM »
I cant just name one because they were all fun to play, where as my most powerful I would have to say on the top of my head is my brute eng/wp :)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 06:56:23 PM by Angel Phoenix77 »
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2014, 06:37:04 PM »
Here is my impression of the most powerful toons I created.. in no ranking order.. just my personal impression of what was very powerful.. that being said I felt that every toon I made was powerful.. but these I would rank as the best of the bunch... some of this is obviously skewed by builds and IO's etc etc.. also Incarnate abilities..

Blasters

Rad/Fire hands down..

Controllers

Ill/Rad
Ill/Dark
Grav/Time

Defenders

Cold/Ice

Tanks

Elec/SS
WP/SS
Shield/Fire