Author Topic: Your most fun character vs. your most powerful character  (Read 15248 times)

Stratoburst

• Minion
Re: Your most fun character vs. your most powerful character
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2014, 02:54:27 AM »
Most Fun:  Tie between Stratoburst (Peacebringer) and Mindful One (psi/mental dominator) - Confuse was a blast, and I juiced it up but good!

Most Powerful:  Brilliant Twilight (rad/dark defender, conceived as an "artificial Warshade that came out sideways"); T4 incarnate "around the horn"

SARobb

• Boss
  • Rawr.
« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2014, 10:41:24 AM »
I think my most fun toon was my Mind/Psi/Psi Dominator - Mindwing.  She was pretty close to my most powerful as well.  My most powerful was my Fire/Kin/Fire Controller, Daughter Dawn.  If I wanted to go FAST I used her; otherwise I'd just hop on Mindwing and take a map at whatever pace I felt like - nothing could get through either toon's controls by the end of it.
Stand up for what you beleive in - even if you are standing alone

Talon Blue

• Minion
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2014, 03:12:28 PM »
As much as my Claws/SR was my favorite solo toon and a high DPS toon (I used her for the solo-pylon challenge), my Night Widow could play similarly to it at times. She was built for Perma-Mind Link and soft-capped defenses, but she also offered a far more versatile play-style for both solo and team oriented play. A jack-of-all-trades but master of none. A decent single target attack chain of Follow Up->Lunge->Strike->Swipe, fair AoE damage with Dart Burst, Spin, Electrifying Fences, and Ball Lightning, and an assortment of team wide buffs of Tactical Training, the Leadership pool, and Mind Link. She was not my strongest toon per-se in terms of numbers, but overall she did so many different things that it felt like she was.

Widows and Fortunata are very fun to play.

My most powerful? Probably my Dark/Shield Scrapper. Soul Drain+Against All Odds->Shield Charge->Fireball and Dark Consumption if necessary and say goodbye to that x8 wave of minions. Simple, straight-forward, effective.

Clave Dark 5

• Elite Boss
« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2014, 04:14:52 PM »
Most Fun:  Most every toon I made was hella fun at some point or another, sometimes just based on if I played with a good team that night or not, but if I had to choose, I think I'd go with my Bots/Dark MM, "Watership Doom" who rocked a creepy bunny/Doctor Doom look.  I have always been a fan of the fun an MM gets from standing back and watching their pets wreak havoc and destruction, and Bots were really good at that, while Dark just exacerbated the problem.

Most Powerful:  I was never much of a builder until near the end so I never had many toons that I could say were powerful in any form of "power gamer" sort of way.  One of those few though was my namesake stalker, Energy Melee/Super Reflexes.  After finally yielding to the thought that building builds might build the fun, I sat down with him and after a little work and careful choices, I came up with a stalker who could tank for a team fairly well, something I sadly didn't get to do more than a handful of times - by the end, population on red-side, at night, was pretty much reserved for the "play Incarnate or go home" crowd, when there even was a crowd (I say crowd... a "handful" more like...)(actually that was mostly the blue-side crowd as well).  Sure, I might have moved him to blue-side, but that would have felt like an injustice.
"What you say is rather profound, and probably erroneous." - Joseph Conrad

Bleed

• Underling
« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2014, 06:12:49 AM »
Most fun pvp stalker em/nin before all the changes that ruined pvp such a fun toon to play, a glass cannon with a nice mix or toys, my most powerful....most likely traps bots mm pretty hard to go past a toon that could solo most of the GM's and Heroes and AV's prior to all that post 50 epic garbage

My most powerful was my MM traps bots

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rs4rgG2NxkI
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 05:44:25 AM by Bleed »

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2014, 02:54:24 PM »
Most fun: Rekless my Energy/Energy blaster - because he is a reckless blaster!

Most powerful: Thwak my Broadsword/Willpower scrapper. In many TF's I would go on full scrapper lock and clear entire areas of the maps. The TF with the millions of Rikti - I would just go along slaughtering huge rooms full of Rikti.

rojahdom

• Underling
« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2014, 04:18:23 AM »
As far as powerful my street justice/ energy aura stalker, soled Ghost in the scrapyard,Death surge, and Rom with him. His DPS was not the best but he had endurence for days and could take hits like a tank.For fun electric/kin controller and claws/ will stalker.
Interestingly I found this from RV run in pvp with my stalker two attacks AS and Crushing Uppercut

Your Doublehit hits for 76.55 points of Energy damage!
Your Assassin's Strike waylays (name withheld) for 242.14 points of Smashing damage!
You land a critical hit with your Assassin's Strike for an extra 747.6 points of smashing damage!

Your Doublehit hits for 98.74 points of Energy damage!
You blast (name withheld) for 69.34 points of bonus negative energy damage!
You hit (name withheld) for 71.74 points of bonus Lethal damage!
Your strike (name withheld) with your Crushing Uppercut for 294.62 points of smashing damage!
You stun (name withheld) with your Crushing Uppercut!
You knocked (name withheld) from their feet!
You land a critical hit with your Crushing Uppercut for an extra 263.05 points of Smashing damage!

Good Times!

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #47 on: October 04, 2014, 09:17:43 AM »
Most fun:
tossup between Pengie, my penguin tanker and Tagalong Kristy (the brat with a bat LOL)

Most powerful:
Karmic Ashe, tank. She is amazing and hardly ever lost health/end even in a huge mob.

I can't wait to be able to play them again!!!
Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

Chance Jackson

• Lieutenant
« Reply #48 on: November 05, 2014, 05:36:56 AM »
Most Fun and most powerful Bots/Traps/Mu I created it when I got a free 2 week COV code. it's what brought me back to COH. It's the first toon I've created that I could solo AVs and GMs with. When GR came out I grinded trials. I had all LVL 4 incarnate slots and I would solo LAMDA sentry guns in reverse order while the league was fighting spawns this tendency caused some confusion amongst my leaguemates because they were so used to going after each sentry gun 1 after the other but when they played with me most were wiped out already lol

However my Time/Sonic/Soul was shaping up to surpass my Bots/traps/mu as most powerful by far if I had a chance to work in the sorcery powerpool; sadly the game ended before I was able to unlock incarnate

« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 02:55:07 AM by Chance Jackson »
Chance Jackson was my Global, I mostly played on Triumph Toons: LIEGE CHEETATRON X - Bots/Traps/Mu lvl 50 +3; DOWN RIGHT FIERCE - SJ/Fire/Soul Brute lvl 50 +3; FIGHT OF YOUR LIFE -KM/Nin/Fire Stalker lvl 50 +3; TIME MAY CHANGE ME - Time/Sonic/Dark; INFERNAL SAMURAI - DB/Fire/Fire lvl 50 +3 replaced by "NITORYU" - DB/WP probably a brute; THUNDEROUS BRUTE - Elec/Shield Scrapper; And Many More!

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
« Reply #49 on: November 05, 2014, 06:05:38 AM »
How ever my Time/Sonic/Soul was shaping up to surpass my Bot's traps as most powerful by far especially with the sorcery powerpool sadly the game ended before I was able to unlock incarnate

I absolutely love it when someone states that their most powerful char was a defender.

I know that it couldn't possibly be true. I mean come on, it's a defender. We all know they are the worst AT in the whole game. Low damage, the buffs/debuffs they do can all be duplicated by a myriad of other ATs and just cuz they aren't the same strength they are still as good as the defenders version.

They look funny too.

Defenders are at best your little cousin who you have to take to the movies on Saturday when you want to go with your friends :)

Sarcasm just makes me happy... Lordy I want to log in and play my Time/Ice or TA/Sonic or NA/DP right now. 
Cogito, Ergo... eh?

Drauger9

• Elite Boss
    • My gaming blog
« Reply #50 on: November 05, 2014, 08:09:44 AM »
My most fun would have to depend on what kind of mood I was in. That was the beauty of CoH to me. You could play based on your mood.

If I wanted to farm, claws/fire brute or fire/kin troller.

If I wanted to farm solo with teaming if I got bored or a TF came up I wanted to do? Fire/kin troller, bots/trap MM, bots/pain mm.

If I wanted to team or do TF, I like playing support but still be able to take care of my self. So ill/kin troller, plant/cold troller, fire/thermal or fire/sonic troller.

If I wanted to farm and kill GMs when I got bored? bots/traps MM, thugs/traps MM, ect..

I never really got into dominators or defenders, which I regret and plan to do if/when the game comes back. :)

ryuplaneswalker

• New Efforts # 17,000!
  • Boss
« Reply #51 on: November 05, 2014, 01:47:10 PM »
I absolutely love it when someone states that their most powerful char was a defender.

I think the most hands down powerful character in the game was a Radiation Defender, Yeah a corrupter could do more damage but a Radiation Defender by itself with two toggles could gut any Non AV Non GM Mob, and if things went badly..

PBU + Vengence + Fallout was instant win on any fight pre-incarnate.

Hyperstrike

• Elite Boss
  • SaveCoH!
    • So Super It Hurts
« Reply #52 on: November 05, 2014, 06:12:45 PM »
For me, it was Hyperstrike.  Once I got all his defenses sussed out, he was just ridiculous in regular play.  And the cool thing?  The IOs used weren't expensive at all at the time!

KaarsAerinstar

• Underling
« Reply #53 on: November 05, 2014, 07:16:26 PM »
First post here... I just came across this thread, got super nostalgic, and couldn't help myself.

My "Most Fun" toon was probably what I would consider my "Most Powerful" as well...

Kaars: Mind/Fire Dominator

Perma Dom, Soft-capped to Smashing, Lethal, and Energy, Tier IV incarnates across the board... it was ridiculous.  Every mob got a wide variety of AoE mez, with sleeps, holds, confuses, and fears.  It had legit single target DPS and a seamless rotation, because Dominate had such a great, quick, animation that flowed so nicely into Blaze.  It was like the powesets were built for one another. 

I had well over 50 level 50's by the time they shut her down, but I always kept going back to my Dom.

Hedgefund

• Underling
« Reply #54 on: November 06, 2014, 01:44:24 AM »
Most fun:  My last 50 - a Staff/Ninja Stalker.  I used to hate Stalkers, or rather I should say they were my least favorite AT, but the Stalker changes at the end (including the proc to put you back into Hide) made me do a 180 and my last 2 50s were Stalkers and I loved both of them (StJ/Ice being still a lot of fun, but just a little less)

As many others have said, most powerful needs a little more clarification.  Whether it's farming, AV/GM killing, or team support would cause me to give entirely different answers.  I'll just say it's a shame I never got to play live what would likely have been a character that would have been amazing at all 3 and would have been my answer to the question:  an i24 specced Fire/Time/Power corr.

Chance Jackson

• Lieutenant
« Reply #55 on: November 07, 2014, 06:09:06 AM »

I know that it couldn't possibly be true. I mean come on, it's a defender. We all know they are the worst AT in the whole game. Low damage, the buffs/debuffs they do can all be duplicated by a myriad of other ATs and just cuz they aren't the same strength they are still as good as the defenders version.

They look funny too.

Defenders are at best your little cousin who you have to take to the movies on Saturday when you want to go with your friends :)

Sarcasm just makes me happy... Lordy I want to log in and play my Time/Ice or TA/Sonic or NA/DP right now.
While you may have loved your defenders Time/Sonic/Soul is a very very different beast. "Time May Change Me" is the only defender I bothered to get past 20 with and i took it all the way to 50 during the last weeks of the game stuck in f2p mode.

-Defender's version of sonic blast has the strongest -res component(at least -15 per blast) making it nearly equal over time to corrupter sonic blast in damage(I've heard that it surpasses the Cor version)

-Between +def, +healing, +recharge and the debuffs Time is a great  set especially in the hands of  adefender that can really exploit it

-Res is arguably the strongest debuff in the game it effects Minions, AVs and GMs the same (there is no resistance to it other than damage resistance itself) Between Time's -30res and all the -res in Sonic and you can  maintain -100 res on a hard target and/or -50 res on a group

-Soul mastery's powerboost drastically improves the AOE +def power of Time(nearly doubling it's base value) stacked with pool powers, being at 50-60 def to all doesn't require that large an investment in IO bonuses and the pet benefits from the buffs and the -res

-Incarnate Aoe and Pets would have been able to take great advantage of all the -res

-the sorcery pool would have provided significant +res to go along with all that +def and the +res could have been nearly perma

TL;DR your almost unkillable between all the +def, healing and +res; not to mention you and your pets do twice the damage you other wise would regardless of damage caps. This is a combo that should surpass bots/traps against AVs and GMs
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 06:23:25 AM by Chance Jackson »
Chance Jackson was my Global, I mostly played on Triumph Toons: LIEGE CHEETATRON X - Bots/Traps/Mu lvl 50 +3; DOWN RIGHT FIERCE - SJ/Fire/Soul Brute lvl 50 +3; FIGHT OF YOUR LIFE -KM/Nin/Fire Stalker lvl 50 +3; TIME MAY CHANGE ME - Time/Sonic/Dark; INFERNAL SAMURAI - DB/Fire/Fire lvl 50 +3 replaced by "NITORYU" - DB/WP probably a brute; THUNDEROUS BRUTE - Elec/Shield Scrapper; And Many More!

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
« Reply #56 on: November 07, 2014, 09:31:59 AM »
While you may have loved your defenders Time/Sonic/Soul is a very very different beast. "Time May Change Me" is the only defender I bothered to get past 20 with and i took it all the way to 50 during the last weeks of the game stuck in f2p mode.

-Defender's version of sonic blast has the strongest -res component(at least -15 per blast) making it nearly equal over time to corrupter sonic blast in damage(I've heard that it surpasses the Cor version)

-Between +def, +healing, +recharge and the debuffs Time is a great  set especially in the hands of  adefender that can really exploit it

-Res is arguably the strongest debuff in the game it effects Minions, AVs and GMs the same (there is no resistance to it other than damage resistance itself) Between Time's -30res and all the -res in Sonic and you can  maintain -100 res on a hard target and/or -50 res on a group

-Soul mastery's powerboost drastically improves the AOE +def power of Time(nearly doubling it's base value) stacked with pool powers, being at 50-60 def to all doesn't require that large an investment in IO bonuses and the pet benefits from the buffs and the -res

-Incarnate Aoe and Pets would have been able to take great advantage of all the -res

-the sorcery pool would have provided significant +res to go along with all that +def and the +res could have been nearly perma

TL;DR your almost unkillable between all the +def, healing and +res; not to mention you and your pets do twice the damage you other wise would regardless of damage caps. This is a combo that should surpass bots/traps against AVs and GMs

Nice analysis. Personally, I went Time/Ice/Dark for a tanker feel with lots of damage numbers. 

Give another look or two at defenders in general and you will see more possibilities than you might think.

For instance, I can put together a NA defender that puts out a +153.8% dam solo that's above what is slotted.

I can put together a TA/Sonic that leaves little to complain about compared to a controller and puts out huge damage numbers.

The list goes on and on.

Cogito, Ergo... eh?

Waffles

• Elite Boss
« Reply #57 on: November 07, 2014, 04:33:17 PM »
Defenders were a class I could never really get into, my first character was a dark/dark defender, and it was 'good' for team play, but alone It was just garbage, in I1, and after getting it to 40 after a year and a half of just lounging around Atlas, I kinda gave up on it, unfairly, mind you, but it was a bad first impression, though, granted, I was ten/eleven, this was my first MMO, and I wasn't exactly smart at the time..So part of it is my own idiocy (My first 11 months of playing, I had no idea what enhancements were.)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 04:44:16 PM by Waffles »

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
« Reply #58 on: November 07, 2014, 06:27:12 PM »
Defenders were a class I could never really get into, my first character was a dark/dark defender, and it was 'good' for team play, but alone It was just garbage, in I1, and after getting it to 40 after a year and a half of just lounging around Atlas, I kinda gave up on it, unfairly, mind you, but it was a bad first impression, though, granted, I was ten/eleven, this was my first MMO, and I wasn't exactly smart at the time..So part of it is my own idiocy (My first 11 months of playing, I had no idea what enhancements were.)

Honestly, it was pretty a fair evaluation of Dark/Dark in the early days. It started as a broken set that they kept working on until it became a good combo. The heal took like 4-5 seconds to cast, tar patch was just a slow, the pet was stationary... it was just not well thought out.

I think it took the devs quite a while to embrace the offender style that made me really like the AT.

And since I took us down this side bar, I will get us back on track by electing a TA/H2O/Mace defender as an absolute beast of a farmer. Lots of Defense, controls, damage and even a smidge of healing when needed. A big plus is you would have slots to spare with it as several powers can go with a single or a double slotting.

Here's a quick build of one.
http://www.cohplanner.com/mids/download.php?uc=1535&c=709&a=1418&f=HEX&dc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
Cogito, Ergo... eh?

Chance Jackson

• Lieutenant
« Reply #59 on: November 09, 2014, 02:19:35 AM »
Most Fun and most powerful Bots/Traps/Mu I created it when I got a free 2 week COV code. it's what brought me back to COH. It's the first toon I've created that I could solo AVs and GMs with. When GR came out I grinded trials. I had all LVL 4 incarnate slots and I would solo LAMDA sentry guns in reverse order while the league was fighting spawns this tendency caused some confusion amongst my leaguemates because they were so used to going after each sentry gun 1 after the other but when they played with me most were wiped out already lol

However my Time/Sonic/Soul was shaping up to surpass my Bots/traps/mu as most powerful by far if I had a chance to work in the sorcery powerpool; sadly the game ended before I was able to unlock incarnate
Adding to my earlier post there are other standouts in terms of fun:

INFERNAL SAMURAI - DB/Fire/Fire lvl 50 +3 this the actualization of a character based on Ryo of Wildfire/Armor of Inferno that I had wanted to do since issue 2 so you know I voted for DB in that poll for new powersets from awhile back this is also my first brute to 50*the aoe fire dmg overtime created an interesting effect when combined with sword strikes it's hard to describe it was like a death from killing blow lag and it was awesome to see in effect

DOWN RIGHT FIERCE SJ/Fire/Soul Brute lvl 50 +3 (Some may get the reference only one person in game did) inspired by Mirai Trunks this toon was a blast to lvl up especially while doing the Croatoa Arc since it gave my toon a Broad Sword and Energy Attack which were both in keeping with the toon's inspiration and highly effective in the hands of my brute due to Brute's Fury, SJ's -def, & -res along with those temps power's bonus dmg against red caps and fir bolg wish I had gotten a chance to try to solo Jack in Chains or Eochai. 2nd brute to reach 50

FIGHT OF YOUR LIFE -KM/Nin/Fire Stalker lvl 50 +3 inspired by energy palm strike characters like Yorouichi and Naruto(post Rasengan) this is the only stalker i took to 50. I loved the guaranteed critical with hide from both AOEs and the Origin Specific Purple IO proc  made this that much better to play as I also loved slotting my APP hold with Hold procs and a BU proc thx to 32 second recharge time the recharge based procs got heightened rates of going off, the BU proc was at 53% while the hold procs would go off 100% you could hold an EB with 2 such procs(7 mag hold in total for 8 secs ajyway)