Author Topic: If City of Heroes came back what might stop you?  (Read 61175 times)

Absolute

• Lieutenant
Re: If City of Heroes came back what might stop you?
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2013, 04:21:32 AM »
Unavoidable PvE

Kidding, although that was a serious concern and the reason I could never get friends to join ("PvP in this game is great, but you won't see it until you grind for a week").

The lack of PvP would stop me from coming back, and it's sad that taking out PvP completely is actually a common suggestion when it's completely optional.

Are there even any MMO games where you cannot avoid PvP (Aside from joining PvP specific servers)? I've never heard this as a rational fear before. I honestly can't imagine an MMO that forces players to fight other players and somehow be successful.

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2013, 05:55:41 AM »
The lack of PvP would stop me from coming back, and it's sad that taking out PvP completely is actually a common suggestion when it's completely optional.

I haven't seen anybody here saying take out PVP completely. What I meant by "unavoidable pvp" (and I think the others agree but I can't speak for them) is when you're forced into it. When it's a necessary step in order to advance past a certain point, or to gain certain benefits/items/contacts that you need just to handle even-level situations.

CoH did it perfectly right... they made PVP opt-in only. Meaning if you chose to participate you had to go to distinct and separated areas, which were clearly labeled with big signs saying what you were getting into. Nothing outside those zones required you to go there, and nothing you got in them was necessary just to get ahead in the game. Useful and potent, sure, but you could handle the entire game without it. That's what I'm saying; keep it optional.

If CoH itself comes back as it was, obviously that won't be an issue. But if it comes back with changes, or if a replacement does things differently, then making PVP non-optional is a change that will keep a lot of us away. Because to non-PVPers, many PVPers can make for intensely distasteful encounters. (And I know not all PVPers are like that, but the bad ones are so bad that it's usually preferable to just avoid them all.)

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2013, 06:02:40 AM »
Are there even any MMO games where you cannot avoid PvP (Aside from joining PvP specific servers)? I've never heard this as a rational fear before. I honestly can't imagine an MMO that forces players to fight other players and somehow be successful.

Yes, they do exist.  It's been awhile and I can't recall the name, but there was a game I tried where once you got out of the tutorial it was open PVP.  However, it had some sort of karma system for it wherein ganking lowbies eventually got the town guard NPCs after you.

And, of course, there's EVE Online.  It's been awhile since I tried it, but when I did there wasn't much to do that didn't ultimately involve entering PVP areas.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2013, 06:21:01 AM »
Aion. If you don't PVP, you basically can't advance at anything even remotely approaching reasonable.

Actually, most Korean- and Chinese-style games tend to be HEAVILY PVP-oriented, to the point that some of them barely have anything that could be called 'PVE'.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Absolute

• Lieutenant
« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2013, 07:15:05 AM »
Aion. If you don't PVP, you basically can't advance at anything even remotely approaching reasonable.

Wow, after a quick Google search, you're right. There are guides written specifically to dodge PvP and they mostly include "Go afk".

That's a horrible system. Good way to exclude a ton of people. What if I'm not in the mood to PvP? I guess another game would get my money then.

Considering Aion is well-known and NCsoft controls the game, there actually might be a chance they could bring back CoH in a forced PvP world. That would crash and burn pretty fast.

cohvictory

• Underling
« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2013, 09:38:58 AM »
They Killed the Game we all loved.  If the my characters are all gone, so am I.  So many nights, working out builds, hanging with my son, and building great heroes.  It makes me sad to even think about the game these days.

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2013, 10:03:21 AM »
Regarding PvP, I honestly wouldn't mind if it was made a bigger part of the game in a relaunch. As long as I could still opt out without having to avoid whole zones I'd be fine, and a simple flag system like WoW has on its non-PvP servers would do that. I always thought it was a bit of a catch 22 - no one PvPs because PvP is such a small and insignificant part of the game because no one PvPs. Exaggerating obviously as there were people that did it but never enough. Making it slightly more involved without taking away that ability to opt out would be an idea I could get behind, especially if they put some effort into rebalancing it as well.

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
  • CoH global: @Kristoff von Gelmini
« Reply #47 on: March 04, 2013, 10:54:50 AM »
I like all the reasons in the posts before mine (i even chortled over a few) but yeah obligatory PvP would be one good reason to opt out.

At this moment what might stop me is that really weird virtual non-cyber space game called Real LifeTM - and :D i'm still trying to get hip to the replies I get from my fan letters to that game's lead designer(s).  Thus I might be too actively involved in grassroots initiatives and democratic processes re: protecting the Environment, or attempting to achieve social justice in my lifetime, or any of a dozen or more worthy social causes, not least of which is the Obama-Biden White House Initiative: Organizing for America.  There's still thousands of books I'd like to read, music I've not yet heard as well as oldies I still love, and one current goal is to view all the TED Talks on YouTube (and maybe even learn how to make video myself - if this old hound dog ain't too old to learn new tricks.)  I am even attempting my hand at writing (purely amateur "Sunday Painter" type stuff, like essays with an online men's group, the odd "slam" poem, etc. and a neat group of people on LiveJournal, most of whom feel that I went into "an MMO coma" but have graciously welcomed me back.

It's nice to be back with you all here on Titan.  One of my even older than I hippie friends has accepted my commission to design a few buttons for me to give away or wear.  Labeling can be groovy, and mine shall read: Senior Citizen in Training!  P.S. have I mentioned I've met some really cool people and have marvelous friends?  PPS. Included in that operational definition of KEWL people and Marvelous/Fabulous friends is YOU, gentle reader.  P.S. Thanks a LOT for encouragement, TonyV.  That was precisely the right message at exactly the right time. and yeah, echoing Healix, Mercedes is da "man" aka our Fearless Leader!!!!!  /em holdtorch   8)
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2013, 11:25:37 AM »
... I'm amazed at the number of people who wouldn't go back if they had to remake their characters again.  I'd have no trouble with remaking my characters and get them back to level 50, if the only other option is "never play CoH again."

Heck, a week or two after the closing announcement, I created a brand-new character, and got her to 50+2 before the shutdown (while still playing other characters, mind you); getting new versions of my original 50s back up to that level wouldn't take much longer.

Not to disparage other people's reasons, of course.  I just can't quite wrap my head around it, particularly in a game where it's so relatively quick and easy to get characters to 50 (or even 50+3), and I'm not even a speed runner.

Maybe it's just because I'm an altoholic.  Leveling up characters is what I like to do. :D

therain93

• Elite Boss
« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2013, 01:33:09 PM »
As much as I miss the game, I probably would not return to City of Heroes if NCsoft merely reopened it.  Why?  Just on principle and because most everyone would be gone -- players AND developers.  Things would never be the same.  If a new studio picked up the game and there was some continuity in vision (including some of the previous key developers), I would be more inclined to return.
@Texarkana - March 5, 2004 - December 1, 2012 -- Imageshack |-| Youtube
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You don't know what it's like.... |-| Book One. Chapter one...

OzonePrime

• Elite Boss
  • Never Give Up! Never Surrender!
« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2013, 02:27:02 PM »
Not much. I'd play.

Lothic

• Lieutenant
  • Like tears in rain...
« Reply #51 on: March 04, 2013, 05:18:20 PM »
I would probably give any rebooted version of CoH a solid try regardless.

But I probably wouldn't stay around very -long- if they did anything drastic like imposed open-world PvP or wiped everyone's original characters.  I also probably wouldn't stay around too long if there was no promise of any new content.  After 8.5 years I had already done everything the original game offered multiple times and TBH the occasional bit of new content was one of the few things keeping me around.
CoH player from April 25, 2004 to November 30, 2012

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #52 on: March 05, 2013, 12:16:40 AM »
1. All player data being reset/lost. We all have to make new accounts and everything we bought, vet powers earned and characters made were lost.
No stopping, the characters I had were more or less complete... might be fun remaking them from scratch with slightly tweaked powerset choices tho.
2. No further developments or changes. Game in maintenance mode. (Issue 23) That is tough knowing the game will no longer evolve.
Meh. Eight years of content, more than enough to keep everyone busy for a while.
2a. No successor.
A successor would not be the original. Not an issue far as I'm concerned.
3. Radical changes to the game. Adding in or removal of "key" features. Fairly generic catagory but its possible if the game came back the powers to be decieded to add some new feature like open world pvp or say removed bases or inventions. This might bes too generic but just a topic of things changed which might make me not want to come back.
Maaaybe, if the change altered the gameplay too much. Probably not an immediate deal-breaker tho.
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #53 on: March 05, 2013, 12:25:08 AM »
I had around 70 50s by the time the game shut down, so I wouldn't feel partiicularly sad about restarting them as long as A) I could get my names back B) I could play the same powersets I had played before.

Golden Ace

• Boss
  • Moon Zone Damn it!
« Reply #54 on: March 05, 2013, 12:58:46 AM »
I had one 50 I loved more than any other.  I played him nearly constantly for 8 years. maxed out in influence on him 3 times.  I only had 2 50's for many years until I got a second account, then I started leveling many others through the sidekick and level with a buddy system.

I had half a dozen 50's on my account that never left atlas park. 

Corlagon

• Lieutenant
« Reply #55 on: March 05, 2013, 01:20:29 AM »

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #56 on: March 05, 2013, 06:30:42 AM »
Considering CoH was City of Altitis it really confuses me too that people wouldn't be thrilled at the chance to have an excuse to recreate their main and do it BETTER that time.

Le sigh.
Woo! - Argent Girl

Lucretia MacEvil

« Reply #57 on: March 05, 2013, 05:26:22 PM »
Considering CoH was City of Altitis it really confuses me too that people wouldn't be thrilled at the chance to have an excuse to recreate their main and do it BETTER that time.

Le sigh.

"Main"?  What's a "main"?  :P

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #58 on: March 05, 2013, 05:29:50 PM »
"Main"?  What's a "main"?  :P

My mistake, I meant "their beloved characters" :p

But this also comes from the woman who was constantly asked how many alts she had of the same character.

Blaster/Brute/PB/Scrapper... and I had plans for an eventual defender... and for her Praetorian version she already had a Dominator, was going to get a Stalker...

Don't look at me! DON'T LOOK AT MEEEEEEEEE!
Woo! - Argent Girl

Golden Ace

• Boss
  • Moon Zone Damn it!
« Reply #59 on: March 06, 2013, 12:28:30 AM »
Hmmm....

If the Protector server ever came back as anything but a bunch of undead creatures.