Author Topic: If City of Heroes came back what might stop you?  (Read 61461 times)

Mistress Urd

• Elite Boss
If City of Heroes came back what might stop you?
« on: March 01, 2013, 11:30:05 PM »
I'd certainly love to see CoH come back and I would most likely want to support anyone who decided to stick their neck out and reboot the servers. I was just wondering, what might be a dealbreaker to you coming back to CoH?

1. All player data being reset/lost. We all have to make new accounts and everything we bought, vet powers earned and characters made were lost. Starting over at level 1 with no characters. I would be annoyed but it wouldn't be a dealbreaker for me.
2. No further developments or changes. Game in maintenance mode. (Issue 23) That is tough knowing the game will no longer evolve.
2a. No successor.
3. Radical changes to the game. Adding in or removal of "key" features. Fairly generic catagory but its possible if the game came back the powers to be decieded to add some new feature like open world pvp or say removed bases or inventions. This might be too generic but just a topic of things changed which might make me not want to come back.

Minotaur

• Elite Boss
Re: If City of Heroes came back what might stop you?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 11:32:58 PM »
NCSoft being involved in any way.

None of the other things would stop me at least playing casually other than compulsory open world PvP.

houtex

• Elite Boss
  • I was the turkey all along! MEE!
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 03:50:31 AM »
I can live with CoH coming back, even if NCSoft is behind it.  But if NCSoft is behind it, I better damn well have all my information back too.  And I'd want an unbreakable guarandamntee that they will NEVER EVER pull the plug until it's proven there are 0 accounts left active for at least 2 months time.

That would certainly be acceptable.

Risha

• Boss
  • Dancing at the end of the World
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 03:52:06 AM »
I would come back no matter what.  Still damn-dreaming-at-night about COH
Writer of Fantasy and Fantasy Romance

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 04:27:49 AM »
Loosing my characters would be a big draw back for me.

That's 8 and half years of emotional investment out the window.

Lucretia MacEvil

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2013, 04:50:14 AM »
In some ways, I think I may actually want to start all my characters over again.  I never got quite as much into RP as I wish I had, and starting over would give me a chance to do it "right", or to improve on previous characters that I didn't want to have to delete for some reason (I'm a bit of a hoarder, it seems).

On-topic, the community is what really made the game for me.

In real life, I don't really feel like part of a social group very often.  Even when I'm talking about human beings in general, I tend to say "they" or "people" instead of "we".  After the Save-the-Game campaign began, I noticed something; the CoX community is my "we".  I would give my dad updates on the situation, saying "we're gonna just keep playing until they shut the servers down" and "we have a petition going on-line" and stuff like that.

I want my "we" back.

That's all.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 04:57:58 AM »
I would be OK with almost anything aside from asinine stuff like open-world-PVP, that doesn't belong here.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2013, 06:32:50 AM »
Honestly? Nothing would stop me. Characters can be remade, probably with different powersets than before. Bases can be rebuilt, MA arcs rewritten. Even NCSoft running it wouldn't stop me, because while starting the game up again wouldn't entirely redeem them for shutting it down in the first place it'd mark a genuinely good decision. And really, if they did start it up again and everyone went 'eeeew, NCSoft!' and didn't go for it they'd just shut it down a second time.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2013, 06:46:10 AM »
I deleted all of my characters before the game shut down.

If the game came back exactly as it was when it shut down, I'm not sure I'd immediately jump on it.  Even if it came back and was moving forward with some of the Issue features that were in beta I might not immediately jump on it.  If it came back with a test server that had a permanent click-to-quick-level NPC, I would jump on it immediately and probably never play anywhere else. ;P
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Ice Trix

• Boss
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2013, 08:01:06 AM »
If the price sub was unreasonable, or we had to repurchase lots of stuff. That would annoy me.

Xieveral

• Chaotic Neutral
  • Boss
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2013, 08:07:36 AM »
If it was just City of Heroes. No redside, no deal. Not having my friends around would also be an obstacle, I'd still play but without friends I don't have the same drive or passion for the game. If I wanted to play an MMO by myself, I'd still be playing WoW.

And really, if they did start it up again and everyone went 'eeeew, NCSoft!' and didn't go for it they'd just shut it down a second time.

What's to stop them from shutting it down for no reason a second time? Fool me once...
?RSN = CKN(CRS.ROD)

RSN = GLR(EMP.MCL)

no hero

• Lieutenant
  • Regens "do it" solo! :)
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2013, 08:23:28 AM »
Is there a deal-breaker for me?
As far as I know... no.
Samantha:  "I have to ask you a question. It's a good one so think about it. If a Player and a Game love each other, but they just can't seem to get it together, when do you get to that point of enough is enough?"

Jerry:  "Never."

Mister Bison

• Elite Boss
  • *psychotic grin*
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2013, 08:49:20 AM »
A truck.

A truck would stop me, yeeees ...
Yeeessss....

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2013, 09:06:12 AM »
A truck.

A truck would stop me, yeeees ...

But not just any truck.  I imagine it would have to be pretty big.  And probably red.  As trucks go, it would probably be a prime specimen, I'd say...
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Kyriani

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2013, 12:46:09 PM »
The only deal breaker for me would be something like open pvp without the ability to opt out. Besides that I'd play again even if I had to start over and was frozen at i23 for the rest of the time playing.

Steelclaw

• Lieutenant
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2013, 12:59:03 PM »
Deleting all my old characters is something I used to do to myself on a fairly regular basis so that wouldn't bother me at all.

I don't think ANYTHING would really stop me from playing entirely, however I must admit that no further game development would be a constant thorn.  On the other hand, I'm not sure I would trust anyone but the Development Team we HAD to move forward with content. 

If Matt headed up La Resistance then I would be all for it.

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2013, 01:00:31 PM »
But not just any truck.  I imagine it would have to be pretty big.  And probably red.  As trucks go, it would probably be a prime specimen, I'd say...

In his case, I think it would take something more primal. A gorilla maybe, that would maximize its chances. But even then I'm sure he could terrorize it into submission. ;)

I'm on the "unavoidable pvp is all that would stop me" list too. Our city was changing every few months anyway, what's a couple more changes gonna hurt? And leveling characters is one of the parts I liked most so restarting them all would actually be fun for me. It'd give me a chance to plan them better, and not make all my rookie mistakes again. Plus this time I'd know how to make money on the auction house right from the start... oh heck yeah, I'd be down for that. Just give me the chance!

Rotten Luck

• Elite Boss
  • "I'd rather go out a hero than a coward."
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2013, 01:07:36 PM »
I can handle having to do my characters again.  My SG friends often have a bet that an Alt of mine won't last a week before I redo it over again.  (Various reasons Powers not right, Animation of said powers seem off for character concept.  Or most common I'm just insane.)

So starting over not a big deal. 

Now if we get CoH in the hands of a studio that won't listen to the players I might think twice about subbing.  What was great about CoH was the Devs were interactive responded openly to our concerns.  even if the response was "We are looking into it."

I wouldn't trust NCsoft again that for sure.  Not because they closed the game but HOW and how they went about closing Paragon Studios.... that said...

I will return, but I will have my characters bags packed ready to go just in case.

IF they turn COH into a Pay to Win (Incarnate stuff was touching on this) or some other Grind my money out of my pocket system.  Then I will have to leave.

Ahh heck I have to say the unavoidable pvp on my list as well.
One way or another... Heroes will fly again!

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2013, 01:38:13 PM »
IF they turn COH into a Pay to Win (Incarnate stuff was touching on this) or some other Grind my money out of my pocket system.  Then I will have to leave.

Technically they already did - consider the levels of power you can attain with invention sets. Then realise that to get then you either have to have veteran rewards, buy an invention license or subscribe, all of which require paying money. Also they were selling the booster powers, and dual/team inspirations which were outright better than standard ones and unavailable without paying.

And yet, no one really seemed to mind. I can't speak for everyone but there's a certain level of pay to win that I can tolerate. Really it's only when non-paying players become unable to play the game effectively that I have a problem. On the standard difficulty, that is. Not having to set it to -1.

Edit:
What's to stop them from shutting it down for no reason a second time? Fool me once...

If they have anything resembling half a shred of common sense, the game becoming wildly popular as people flock back to it would stop them at least in the short term. Tme would tell if it'd also convince them to give half a damn about marketing the game so it stays viable for much longer.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2013, 02:10:16 PM »
For me deal breaker would be if it was less enjoyable than the game I'm playing now.
Another one would be if they have no semblence of marketing plan.
With those two ir rather lack of those, I might as well stay where I'm at.

The last direct deal breakers are if they give no consideration to those  may not like having to team to play with too much team required content and pay to win like invention and incarnate stuff. Put up with it for a while and played it to see and not itching to do it again, especially a player ran market making inf go into hyper inflation mode faster than the Zimbabwean dollar. Then, once again, if that happens, I will be better off staying where I am already now. My dealbreakers. Mine.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 02:23:09 PM by JaguarX »