Author Topic: If City of Heroes came back what might stop you?  (Read 61564 times)

Nebularian

• Boss
    • Voyages of Imagination
Re: If City of Heroes came back what might stop you?
« Reply #80 on: March 10, 2013, 12:42:56 PM »
It fills the time, but not the void.

HAH...that is how I define my time spent with DCUO now LOL.
(@Nebularian)(AKA Dylan Clearbrook) Champion/Virtue - Nebularian/Sgt. Raines/Nurse Darklight/Cosmicana-Cosmicella/Mercy Vengeance/Angel Sprite/Suzy Uzi/Blue Arc/Dark Carolyne 

Waffles

• Elite Boss
« Reply #81 on: March 10, 2013, 08:13:07 PM »
New, idiotic developers that don't know half the shit we have experienced and openly say that Paragon "Were amatuers". This would infuriate me beyond anything...And remind me of Diablo 3.

brucetromp

• Underling
« Reply #82 on: March 12, 2013, 12:01:14 AM »
Like most everyone, I'd come back no matter what.  To me the fun was the people.  If some of them come back then the game would be great.  I feel like I spent a lot of down time just roaming the city.  So I'd like to see the city in the same shape that it was.  Other than that I'm ready to play!  Hope everyone is doing well.

Sailboat

• Boss
« Reply #83 on: March 12, 2013, 12:05:21 PM »
Armed guards.

BobMc

• Lieutenant
« Reply #84 on: March 12, 2013, 09:43:44 PM »
We'd be back for sure.

I might not be willing to give money willingly to NCSoft, or only the bare minimum needed to play,but I'd be back even so.

If anyone else saved the game, I'd be back with wallet open, happy as could be.

Even starting from scratch, or an previous version of the game. We've both been playing since COV beta, and I've been in since July of starting year.

The final line of a post  by Sweet_Sarah on Liberty
"Together we entered a city of strangers, we made it a city of friends, and we leave it a City of Heroes."

Chrome

• Underling
« Reply #85 on: March 14, 2013, 01:12:32 AM »
I would want to play! but NCSoft will never get another dime from me :(

æhæd

• Underling
  • Oh! Really?
« Reply #86 on: March 14, 2013, 02:29:56 PM »
I'll be back if it doesn't cost much more than before. It needs to be free for those who cannot donate. It doesn't need any further functionality, although some I24 beta bits might as well be turned on and if development does stop then it'll need to be structured as non-profit.

There is so much content I haven't tried and so much I want to do again with my friends.

slickriptide

• Elite Boss
« Reply #87 on: March 14, 2013, 06:24:58 PM »
I can't think of anything in particular that would make me say "no" to playing. I assume already that if the game ever comes back that it will be a start from scratch affair.

I think that ED was a good thing for the game, regardless of the rancor it created, but I doubt I'd base a play decision on whether the game was pre/post ED in setting.

Kaiser Tarantula

• Elite Boss
  • @Nerva
« Reply #88 on: March 15, 2013, 07:37:37 AM »
No matter who brought CoH back there is always going to be the dreaded day when it gets shut down again. Even WOW will face that day, eventually.
I can understand that, but they could've been more forthright about information regarding the shutdown, and more gradual in the shutdown process itself.

A lot of games exist basically in maintenance mode, with no further upgrades or updates, but left open for diehard players, and with their stores still open for subscriptions and microtransactions, just in case there's still any money to be milked from the game.  CoH, when it was shut down, wasn't some niche title that barely had a playerbase - it was one of NCsoft's biggest titles this side of the Atlantic, if not its outright biggest.

They had, and still have, alternatives to just shutting down the game and squatting on it.  It's not making 'em any money, so why not pick a halfway reasonable price and sell the entire IP, code, and server rights to someone who wants it?  Or maybe rig up a user-level server software and license it to individual people to run private servers for their own enjoyment?  There's plenty of money to be made there, if they'd take those options, but they haven't, and it still perplexes me to this day why they don't.

Sure, all games will eventually die.  But from a financial and moral standpoint, it's better to let 'em run their course and wring everything you can from 'em, rather than arbitrarily strangling them with a pillow while they're on their deathbed.

Helyom

• Underling
« Reply #89 on: March 15, 2013, 06:08:12 PM »
Dear friends, im sure they erase our accounts and chars months ago. We lost everything...Our dream is restart to play on the exactly point that they closed the game. But it is really no possible....And yes, i'm still very depressed, there is no game to replace COX to me.

NeoFight

• Underling
« Reply #90 on: March 15, 2013, 06:22:48 PM »
Im sure they erased our accounts and chars months ago. We lost everything...

I sincerely hope not.  But even if they did, I have not.  My heart still burns to patrol Paragon City again, in one form or another.
DEBT before DISHONOUR !!

Kyriani

• Elite Boss
« Reply #91 on: March 15, 2013, 07:00:16 PM »
Dear friends, im sure they erase our accounts and chars months ago. We lost everything...Our dream is restart to play on the exactly point that they closed the game. But it is really no possible....And yes, i'm still very depressed, there is no game to replace COX to me.

If I can get i24 COH functional either as a single player, LAN, or private server and just have to start over and rebuild what I've lost I would still be happy. If the price of playing coh again is the loss of my 50's/base/enhancements/etc so be it... I just want the game back.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 02:01:55 PM by Kyriani »

Aleksandros

• Minion
« Reply #92 on: March 15, 2013, 10:50:56 PM »
If I have to rebuild every toon from level 1, re-lay every brick and banner/recraft every enhancement in my base, I will do exactly that.  I have a wealth of screenshots, saved Costume files for each and every one of my heroes and villains, Sentinel files for all as well.  If the City sees another sunrise, I will be there in full regalia to greet it.  In the meantime, our City lives on in my memories and yours.

Achimrst

• Underling
« Reply #93 on: March 16, 2013, 03:02:35 AM »
Nothing would stop me from coming back, I can remake a character and have spent enough time away.

SirKittles

• Underling
« Reply #94 on: March 16, 2013, 08:23:14 PM »
There is nothing at this point that would prevent me from ever going back, even if it went into the hands of some less-than-reputable developers. That doesn't say that it would prevent me from leaving, but I would be happy to have this game back in any form, just to see it playable again.
"What do you think, everyone?"

Cinnder

• Boss
« Reply #95 on: March 17, 2013, 07:23:32 AM »
I'd agree with most of the posts above regarding things like open world PvP, pay to win, etc, and add some things like changing to a gear-based, loot-oriented system, but to me such changes would alter the game so fundamentally that I would question whether it really was CoH coming back as posed in the original question.

However, I think my list is getting shorter day by day as I find the feeling of loss is growing with time rather than diminishing.  I quit the one other MMO I played for a little over a year when they announced their next release recently and I realised that they don't seem to care about the journey from 1-50 anymore but are just adding new endgame grinds.  What I always loved about CoH was the choices I had with new characters -- both in power sets and content.

You always hear about the desperate measures to which drug addicts will go to get one more hit.  Well, I never thought of myself as addicted, but I realised yesterday that I would pay a LOT of money just to be able to play one more mission...  Well, except for any of the Twinshot missions, so I guess I'm not that far gone... :-)

Oh, and thanks a lot Captain Electric.  I was curious what the link was in your sig, so I just followed it to see Evangel's "Memories" video, and here I am 10 min 11 sec later experiencing all the emotions of the closure again as if it just happened.  I never thought a "mere game" would affect me this much for this long.

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #96 on: March 17, 2013, 06:04:26 PM »
If NCIdiocracy bundled CoX with the release of a new game, meaning that you had to buy the new game in order to get back into the City.... would you still do it?

I would do it. I would buy the new game and never once touch it, in order to get back in. That's pretty desperate of me.. but yes I would do it.

The more I think about it, the more I have a feeling they wiped our servers. It makes the least amount of sense for NCSoft to have done that, so of course that is what they did! Think about it.... it feels right. Those bozos would do it without thinking twice.

I also am suprised that so many people are saying a wipe would mean they would not bother with a relaunch. Thats all we did, was start new characters and level them up! We had it down to a science. Well, we also took level 50s and crafted them into perfection, but we had that down to a science too.

The thing that would really irk me is the loss of irreplaceable badges. But, lemons out of lemonade....

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #97 on: March 17, 2013, 08:01:04 PM »
I know people who spent hundreds of hours crafting just a few toons to make them awesome. I can see how they'd be unwilling to come back if it meant having to redo all that.

Me, I was always more interested in the story and trying out new powersets so I'd be happy to start over if it meant I had COH back.

Cinnder

• Boss
« Reply #98 on: March 17, 2013, 08:35:48 PM »
Me, I was always more interested in the story and trying out new powersets so I'd be happy to start over if it meant I had COH back.

Same here, definitely.

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #99 on: March 17, 2013, 09:27:52 PM »
I know people who spent hundreds of hours crafting just a few toons to make them awesome. I can see how they'd be unwilling to come back if it meant having to redo all that.

Man. If I ever said the words "That was my favorite game of all time and now it's gone forever!" ...I could never follow it with the words "Someone brought back another version of it later, but I just didn't feel like logging in again."

I guess I can understand the feeling, but I cannot agree. There's no way simply starting over would be enough to keep me out.