Author Topic: If City of Heroes came back what might stop you?  (Read 61430 times)

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
Re: If City of Heroes came back what might stop you?
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2013, 03:39:32 PM »
My conditions.. All my stuff back.. and Issue 24 released.. and an open apology..

Rotten Luck

• Elite Boss
  • "I'd rather go out a hero than a coward."
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2013, 04:06:55 PM »
Technically they already did - consider the levels of power you can attain with invention sets. Then realise that to get then you either have to have veteran rewards, buy an invention license or subscribe, all of which require paying money. Also they were selling the booster powers, and dual/team inspirations which were outright better than standard ones and unavailable without paying.

True the top gear was locked behind pay.  But you can go all the way to 50 with out IOs at all.  I didn't really start on Invention sets till 50 most of the time anyway.  Like I said the Incarnate stuff and the signature story arcs were the only content locked behind the pay wall.  I'm more frustrated at that move content should never be locked players are part of content in a MMO.  The Booster powers, and Ins were more convince they made things easier there was never a you HAVE to have it.  Then again perhaps that why I was loosing heart near the end I was seeing the corruption of that method of Milking the cash cow. 
One way or another... Heroes will fly again!

Nebularian

• Boss
    • Voyages of Imagination
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2013, 04:42:48 PM »
As we've seen in another thread, one of the things that would stop me would be reopening with a too early version.

But if it opened exactly as it was when it shut down, with no hope of future updates?...No big deal. Wouldn't bother me in the slightest. 

Wouldn't mind having to start all over again...with brand new toons. I think it would be kinda fun to bring all those toons back up again.

Not having the ability to opt out of PVP?  yeah, that would be a deal breaker.  Don't like PVP and want no part of it.

NCSoft in charge?  Well, I am boycotting NCSoft UNTIL they sell the IP  OR reopen.  So, I would play...but I wouldn't trust them not to do it again.

Not having COV wouldn't bother me too much.  Never was much into playing Villains..but I would miss the "Gold" side.  Still, wouldn't be a Deal Breaker. 
(@Nebularian)(AKA Dylan Clearbrook) Champion/Virtue - Nebularian/Sgt. Raines/Nurse Darklight/Cosmicana-Cosmicella/Mercy Vengeance/Angel Sprite/Suzy Uzi/Blue Arc/Dark Carolyne 

Kaiser Tarantula

• Elite Boss
  • @Nerva
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2013, 05:36:36 PM »
My absolute dealbreakers:
  • NCSoft having the ability to shut it down again: I would prefer NCsoft be totally uninvolved, but so long as NCsoft does not have the ability to shut the game down again in its new incarnation, I'd probably be content.  If NCsoft still has enough power over the game to shut it down, then I couldn't play.  I couldn't risk coming back to the game and just getting hurt again.  I would hate myself and my friends would lynch me (they're tired of hearing me talk about it.)
  • Compulsive openworld PVP: I liked the fact that PvP in CoH was totally optional.  Sure, there were badges involved, but they weren't required for much of anything.  I don't think any accolade powers required a mix of PvP and PvE badges.  I do not like the prospect of potentially being ganked by a higher-level player that I have no hope against when I roll a new toon in Atlas.
  • Pay-to-Win BS: Pull incarnate content out from behind the pay-wall, even if you leave incarnate powers themselves locked.  Heck, I'd honestly let players have their incarnate powers too.  C'mon, you worked for that Lv50, and worked for that alpha experience, you should have the right to use it regardless of your pay status.  I'd also want to see the invention system opened back up.

You can say what you want, but IOs were the single biggest boost in power players recieved prior to the hybrid model, and they're pretty much required if you want to exist in PvP at all.  Limiting them to paying players immediately restricts PvP to the paying elite, who will stomp all fun from those who aren't, then leave because they have no easy targets once the free players realize they're not welcome in PvP any more.  While it doesn't matter to me, I know a lot of players that it DOES matter to, and they aren't going to play if under those conditions (and indeed, I know a lot of players that STOPPED playing when they learned their IOs were going to be restricted come Freedom).
  • Be ABSOLUTELY CLEAR on what a Free account can and cannot do: There were way, way, WAY too many hidden disadvantages for playing free.  No medium/large inspirations without veteran rewards, no merit rewards of any kind without subscription, an irritating interface button that you could not get rid of by any means, no invention enhancements without paid license, no participation in the game's economy without a license or subscription, no outgoing mail without vet rewards or subscription, no outgoing whispers without vet rewards or subscription, restricted reward tables for taskforces and other group activities, no incarnate powers... I would have appreciated a warning before running into all of these irritating, niggling little restrictions, everywhere.

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2013, 10:23:39 PM »
I could definitely play I23 for decades to come.

Optimus Dex

• Boss
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2013, 12:18:49 AM »
My conditions.. All my stuff back.. and Issue 24 released.. and an open apology..
[/quote

All the above but I don't thi8nk I could trust Nc Soft ever.

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2013, 01:33:53 AM »
True the top gear was locked behind pay.  But you can go all the way to 50 with out IOs at all.  I didn't really start on Invention sets till 50 most of the time anyway.  Like I said the Incarnate stuff and the signature story arcs were the only content locked behind the pay wall.  I'm more frustrated at that move content should never be locked players are part of content in a MMO.  The Booster powers, and Ins were more convince they made things easier there was never a you HAVE to have it.  Then again perhaps that why I was loosing heart near the end I was seeing the corruption of that method of Milking the cash cow.

Locking incarnates and signature arcs behind a pay wall is something I would've been a lot more upset about if the game didn't have piles and piles of content to keep everyone entertained anyway. And as you say, there was stuff you could pay for that'd outright make you more powerful than someone who didn't. But you never NEEDED that stuff, I think is the key point that kept too many people being bothered by it. A lot of 'free' games go too far in locking things behind paywalls to the extent that if you don't pay you're not actually capable of playing the game. Admittedly I'd love free incarnates and IOs, but I don't think it's strictly necessary.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2013, 03:07:03 AM »
Unavoidable PvP.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Timelord Tom

• RIP Timlord
  • Lieutenant
    • Paragon Radio Gallifrey
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2013, 03:14:33 AM »
My absolute dealbreakers:
  • NCSoft having the ability to shut it down again: I would prefer NCsoft be totally uninvolved, but so long as NCsoft does not have the ability to shut the game down again in its new incarnation, I'd probably be content.  If NCsoft still has enough power over the game to shut it down, then I couldn't play.  I couldn't risk coming back to the game and just getting hurt again.  I would hate myself and my friends would lynch me (they're tired of hearing me talk about it.)
  • Compulsive openworld PVP: I liked the fact that PvP in CoH was totally optional.  Sure, there were badges involved, but they weren't required for much of anything.  I don't think any accolade powers required a mix of PvP and PvE badges.  I do not like the prospect of potentially being ganked by a higher-level player that I have no hope against when I roll a new toon in Atlas.
  • Pay-to-Win BS: Pull incarnate content out from behind the pay-wall, even if you leave incarnate powers themselves locked.  Heck, I'd honestly let players have their incarnate powers too.  C'mon, you worked for that Lv50, and worked for that alpha experience, you should have the right to use it regardless of your pay status.  I'd also want to see the invention system opened back up.

You can say what you want, but IOs were the single biggest boost in power players recieved prior to the hybrid model, and they're pretty much required if you want to exist in PvP at all.  Limiting them to paying players immediately restricts PvP to the paying elite, who will stomp all fun from those who aren't, then leave because they have no easy targets once the free players realize they're not welcome in PvP any more.  While it doesn't matter to me, I know a lot of players that it DOES matter to, and they aren't going to play if under those conditions (and indeed, I know a lot of players that STOPPED playing when they learned their IOs were going to be restricted come Freedom).
  • Be ABSOLUTELY CLEAR on what a Free account can and cannot do: There were way, way, WAY too many hidden disadvantages for playing free.  No medium/large inspirations without veteran rewards, no merit rewards of any kind without subscription, an irritating interface button that you could not get rid of by any means, no invention enhancements without paid license, no participation in the game's economy without a license or subscription, no outgoing mail without vet rewards or subscription, no outgoing whispers without vet rewards or subscription, restricted reward tables for taskforces and other group activities, no incarnate powers... I would have appreciated a warning before running into all of these irritating, niggling little restrictions, everywhere.

I agree with all the above in spirit, if not details.

No matter who brought CoH back there is always going to be the dreaded day when it gets shut down again. Even WOW will face that day, eventually.

I completely agree with PvP.

Pay to win? Bleh, nope, want to avoid that at all costs. Play for FUN? CoH pretty much had that nailed.

Too many hidden disadvantages to playing a free account? Hmmm... maybe, but I wouldn't expect the limits to change, just need to be better spelled out. Free accounts are really just there, from a business perspective, to give the player time to play for free and decide if they want to upgrade to a subscription... and even this wouldn't stop me, as I had two paid subscriptions going.

Golden Ace

• Boss
  • Moon Zone Damn it!
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2013, 03:23:12 AM »
Unavoidable PvP.

Yeah that would probably stop me.

AlphaFerret

• Boss
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2013, 03:23:49 AM »
I would come back to any version of Paragon City....they need to let us back in there!  ***shakes locked gate***

Night-Hawk07

• Elite Boss
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2013, 04:51:52 AM »
Not sure anything would be a true "deal breaker", but not having at least the "Freem Fifteen" on it would certainly make me hesitant. They know the game, they know us, we know them. A whole new dev team could take the gem we had and turn it into a shit. It could be argued that they could keep things as good (or make them better), but I'm somewhat of a glass-half-empty type.

And I liked our devs.... :(

DarkCurrent

• Boss
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2013, 05:05:48 AM »
If all our data was deleted and then everything was turned into microtransactions to get it back.  Like we were all given 'freebie' account status and had to purchase extra character slots, invention licenses, etc.  That would be a dealbreaker for me.

Kuriositys Kat

• Lieutenant
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2013, 01:43:42 PM »
The deal Breakers: Unavoidable  PVP. NCsoft ownership UNLESS they built in an option for the game to be bought by the game community  at a realistic price, when they decided to shut down again.

Other than that don't care if  I have to start over when the game comes back,  I have my info, I can recreate my characters. 

"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, and somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do!" - The Doctor

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2013, 06:41:01 PM »
I miss Argent so damned much that I'd put up with about anything to know I could fly around in her boots again.

I tried CO to keep a grasp of some aspect of her, but a million factors combining with how CO is just not a fun game to play with other people...

So, nothing would. I'd pay. I'd level her from 1-50. Heck, if they made it so kheldians could only be unlocked by hitting 50 again, I'd rush a brute Argent to 50 just to unlock kheld for her.

Sigh.
Woo! - Argent Girl

samfivedot

• Underling
  • ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWAH
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2013, 07:16:10 PM »
I can't think of anything that would stop me. I would seriously trade away any of my possessions (except my computer, of course!) for the chance to once again rocket around the city as TR-109 and foil the sinister machinations of Crey. The idea of starting over at Level 1 wouldn't bother me at all. It was never just about levels, it was about bringing to life characters that I created all by myself.

The best I can do is make characters in Icon, but that's not enough - I want to play them! It's like having a whole bunch of badass action figures and never being able to take them out of their boxes.

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2013, 08:23:25 PM »
I don't think any of the things mentioned would stop me, except maybe open world PvP.  (Would that really be a concern?) Many of them would lessen my enjoyment, of course, but I don't know if they'd drive me away completely before I even log in.

Mister Bison

• Elite Boss
  • *psychotic grin*
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2013, 08:35:32 PM »
But not just any truck.  I imagine it would have to be pretty big.  And probably red.  As trucks go, it would probably be a prime specimen, I'd say...
I... erm... *didn't even think of that*

No, I meant a normal truck. That prime won't be able to stop me this time ! Ha ha ha ha haaa yeeees !
Yeeessss....

Dollhouse

• Boss
  • "What will happen? Will I dream?"
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2013, 08:49:35 PM »
Losing my characters would almost certainly keep me away. Those characters (along with so many in-game friends) were the reason I was still playing after all those years. Although the game still played very well and more than offset its age with years of refinement, gameplay stopped being a big draw on me long ago. Friends and characters...

NCSoft's involvement would be a source of concern for me, but by no means a deal-breaker.

Open world PvP, however unlikely, would be a deal-breaker. Not that I mind PvP...just not post-i13 CoH PvP, thanksverymuch. Not as an opt-in and damn sure not as compulsory.

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2013, 11:01:43 PM »
Pretty much nothing would stop me.

I doubt unavoidable PvP would ever be an issue, if NCIdiocracy was running the game, that would mean too much investment in the game. If someone else were running it, it would mean a complete redo of the game anyways.... so I dont ever see that happening.

I would remake everyone from the ground up if I had to.

I often wonder exactly WHAT NCIdiocracy actually DID with our servers. Are they wiped? I would not bet a dollar that the info is stil intact. The mere thought enrages me. But what can be done once, can be done again.