Author Topic: How are you handling the loss?  (Read 188458 times)

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
Re: How are you handling the loss?
« Reply #660 on: August 20, 2013, 01:56:44 PM »
I'm still not handling the loss well.  Pining for CoH made me try CO again lately, and that wound up just reopening old wounds.

... that was exactly what I'm doing, though the wounds haven't quite opened yet.

Trying to decide whether I'll resubscribe, or just play Silver for a while.

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #661 on: August 20, 2013, 07:14:43 PM »
I still cry when I see the tribute videos of the end....the loss hurts. That being said, it only fans the flame of hope in my heart that we will  be able to enter the City again. The fires withing burn with all the '/emholdtorches' my heart can hold.

Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

Gr8ape

• Underling
« Reply #662 on: August 23, 2013, 04:59:56 AM »

This is still such a sad thing.  There are heartstrings yet to break over this long term loss.  The connections with people out there, the love of the game and the time teaming with my daughter are priceless.  NC soft, you have hurt us all.  I have tried every game out there....  None compare to COX.  I will miss this time playing on my computer forever.  I'm just crying inside and I don't think it will ever stop.  Love all those who miss COX as much as I.  Good luck to you all!

PunkusJR

• Boss
« Reply #663 on: August 23, 2013, 07:37:46 AM »
Reading through this thread . . . I figured I'd post again for my dad. He's still not taking it well. He wont get on here though, I've told him about the forums; says it would just upset him more. Almost everyday we wind up talking about city. At the end of our talks he goes back into his rooms. The end of these talks come suddenly. I tell myself he's playing his new game or something . . . I know what he's really doing though. Thinking of your father crying. It's a painful thing. He used to have an Arachnos shirt he'd wear this thing at least once a week. Ever since that announcement though . . . I haven't seen that shirt. I don't even know if he still has it.

My father and I haven't grown distant since the closure, but we don't have the same bond. It used to be, "Hey it's friday. Ready to run through a task force?" "Hey, come on this team and be my tank." or, "Let's show them what we can really do." Now it's only, "Remember that time when . . . ?" The memories are great and I love reminiscing with him but our relationship isn't the same. We try other games. They aren't the same. :/ Kinda silly I guess to think of being so close to my dad through a game, but it was great relationship.
I am the gun that rains judgement. I am the chill in the spine of evil doers. I am the flame that burns with justice. I am the teal angel that rises from death! I! AM! KAIT0!

Kaiser Tarantula

• Elite Boss
  • @Nerva
« Reply #664 on: August 23, 2013, 10:05:27 AM »
Nothing silly about it, Punkus.  Some kids bond with their Dads over baseball, or philosophy, automotive repair, or watching pro-wrestling.  You and your Dad had City of Heroes.

Every time I read something like this, I feel three things.  A pleasant warmth, at being once again reassured that City was more than just a simple MMO to so many of our community.  A twinge of envy, as I would have loved to been able to bond with my family members over CoH like you and others have.  And a deep, bile-filled, sulfurous, smoldering loathing for NCsoft, for destroying the medium through which these special relationships operated.

I don't wanna speak for others, but it'd mean a lot to me personally if you can give him a hug, and let him know that even if he can't bear to be here due to the pain of memories, he and others like him, for whom CoH was not just a game, are in my thoughts.

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #665 on: August 23, 2013, 07:40:03 PM »
PunkusJR...PLEASE don't give up hope that you and your dad will get your Fridays in Paragon back! A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their mission can alter the course of history.
Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #666 on: August 23, 2013, 09:08:57 PM »
I wish someone would at least tell us they're making progress on the private servers... hell they can use my a_noni_moose handle if needs be!
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

PunkusJR

• Boss
« Reply #667 on: August 23, 2013, 09:55:31 PM »
^^ Thanks guys. I haven't given up yet. Don't plan on it either. I was that blaster with rise of the phoenix after all >:D Teamwipe? I don't care I'm standing up! They might kill me again, but I'm taking some of them with me! >:D

I wish someone would at least tell us they're making progress on the private servers... hell they can use my a_noni_moose handle if needs be!

I get why they can't, but I agree it is kinda annoying to be in the dark about it. Anyone working on it, thankyou. You're not the one causing the annoyance here.
I am the gun that rains judgement. I am the chill in the spine of evil doers. I am the flame that burns with justice. I am the teal angel that rises from death! I! AM! KAIT0!

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #668 on: August 23, 2013, 10:40:24 PM »
I was that blaster with rise of the phoenix after all >:D Teamwipe? I don't care I'm standing up! They might kill me again, but I'm taking some of them with me! >:D

That's the kind of attitude that can make even the most grizzled old scrapper proud. *sniffle*

Kaiser Tarantula

• Elite Boss
  • @Nerva
« Reply #669 on: August 23, 2013, 11:07:52 PM »
That's the kind of attitude that can make even the most grizzled old scrapper proud. *sniffle*
This is why I like Dark Armor on Brutes and Tankers.

I loved being able to get right back up after going down amidst a crowd of enemies.  i'M bAaaAAAAaaaaCkkkK...

I should've made a Street Justice/Dark Armor Brute character named "Cauldron-Born" after the unstoppable undead monstrosities of Irish Myth.  If it had been out, I'd have used Savage Melee for him instead.

PunkusJR

• Boss
« Reply #670 on: August 23, 2013, 11:16:44 PM »
This is why I like Dark Armor on Brutes and Tankers.

I loved being able to get right back up after going down amidst a crowd of enemies.  i'M bAaaAAAAaaaaCkkkK...

I should've made a Street Justice/Dark Armor Brute character named "Cauldron-Born" after the unstoppable undead monstrosities of Irish Myth.  If it had been out, I'd have used Savage Melee for him instead.

Haha, I wanted to make a blaster with the martial secondary (I forgot what it was going to be called now) so bad xD That wasn't going to be a pretty sight. . . But it would have been fun.

Kaiser Tarantula

• Elite Boss
  • @Nerva
« Reply #671 on: August 23, 2013, 11:35:43 PM »
Haha, I wanted to make a blaster with the martial secondary (I forgot what it was going to be called now) so bad xD That wasn't going to be a pretty sight. . . But it would have been fun.
It was Martial Combat, my friend.

Reaction Time and Reach for the Limit were so broken on beta server.  Throw Sand was kinda bastardry as well.  Since it blinds enemies, you could almost use it as a cone AoE placate.  Martial Combat actually had a lot of survivability for a blaster combat set, enough so that there were a lot of blappers on beta who used it.  Generally, it was just tough enough to get you into melee, where your bevy of offensive powers and sheer ridiculous damage output would put them down before they'd put you down.

Blasters would've gotten a lot of buffs in i24.  They were damned vicious on beta.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 11:47:49 PM by Kaiser Tarantula »

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #672 on: August 24, 2013, 12:41:42 AM »

I cannot say that without thinking "Maaaaartiaaaaaal Kooooombaaaaat!!!"

FIGHT!

*punch* *punch* *BAMF!* *kick-kick-kick* *BAMF!* *smack smack smack* *KA-PUNCH*

... Flawless Victory.

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #673 on: August 24, 2013, 12:54:20 AM »
and now I'll have that ear worm all night
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

Kaiser Tarantula

• Elite Boss
  • @Nerva
« Reply #674 on: August 24, 2013, 12:57:05 AM »
FIGHT!

*punch* *punch* *BAMF!* *kick-kick-kick* *BAMF!* *smack smack smack* *KA-PUNCH*

... Flawless Victory.
*steps out from behind a now battered and smoking Arachnobot*  I'll bill you for the repairs later.

Anyway, Martial Combat was basically intended to let someone use a Blaster to re-create a Fighting Game character, in the vein of characters like Ryu or most of the cast of Mortal Kombat.  Martial arts combined with some kind of themed projectiles.

DJMoose

• Missing His Jeep
  • Boss
  • To believe in the heroic makes heroes.
« Reply #675 on: August 24, 2013, 04:01:28 AM »
Martial arts combined with some kind of themed projectiles.
That was "Martial Assault" to a T.  SHURIKEN IN YOUR FACE!  And OMG was it fun to use.  I had loads of fun with Void Summoner, my Dark Control/Martial Assault Dominator on Beta.  But thinking about all of that potential gone makes me all mad and sad again.

Damn you NCSoft....Damn you...

And then I think about how we are almost upon the one year anniversary of the shutdown announcement; I wish we could hold another Unity Rally of some type in remembrance.  But to have to live through Black Friday again...

But seriously we as a community need to have another Rally of some type to remind everyone, and especially NCSoft, that we are still here and have not simply rolled over and died.

Don't know if TonyV has anything planned for that terrible day, but I will be on ICON in Atlas Park with all of my characters and all of them will be /emholdtorch.
Serkana The Wise
Primal Praetorian

PunkusJR

• Boss
« Reply #676 on: August 24, 2013, 05:42:40 AM »

Reaction Time and Reach for the Limit were so broken on beta server.  Throw Sand was kinda bastardry as well.  Since it blinds enemies, you could almost use it as a cone AoE placate.  Martial Combat actually had a lot of survivability for a blaster combat set, enough so that there were a lot of blappers on beta who used it.  Generally, it was just tough enough to get you into melee, where your bevy of offensive powers and sheer ridiculous damage output would put them down before they'd put you down.

Blasters would've gotten a lot of buffs in i24.  They were damned vicious on beta.

Oh, I was so excited. Blasters became my favorite class once I realized, in other games, that I loved being a glass cannon. :/ Hoping if any fan servers pop up at least one or two will be the beta.

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #677 on: August 24, 2013, 05:28:01 PM »
I am still at the stage of ANGRY...
 >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Golden Girl

• One Liners and Winky Faces
  • Elite Boss
    • Heroes and Villains
« Reply #678 on: August 24, 2013, 06:50:59 PM »
Reading through this thread . . . I figured I'd post again for my dad. He's still not taking it well. He wont get on here though, I've told him about the forums; says it would just upset him more. Almost everyday we wind up talking about city. At the end of our talks he goes back into his rooms. The end of these talks come suddenly. I tell myself he's playing his new game or something . . . I know what he's really doing though. Thinking of your father crying. It's a painful thing. He used to have an Arachnos shirt he'd wear this thing at least once a week. Ever since that announcement though . . . I haven't seen that shirt. I don't even know if he still has it.

My father and I haven't grown distant since the closure, but we don't have the same bond. It used to be, "Hey it's friday. Ready to run through a task force?" "Hey, come on this team and be my tank." or, "Let's show them what we can really do." Now it's only, "Remember that time when . . . ?" The memories are great and I love reminiscing with him but our relationship isn't the same. We try other games. They aren't the same. :/ Kinda silly I guess to think of being so close to my dad through a game, but it was great relationship.

We're working as hard and fast as we can to get "Heroes and Villains" up and running - you and your dad will be teaming up as superheroes again.
"Heroes and Villains" website - http://www.heroes-and-villains.com
"Heroes and Villains" on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
"Heroes and Villains" on Twitter - https://twitter.com/Plan_Z_Studios
"Heroes and Villains" teaser trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnjKqNPfFv8
Artwork - http://goldengirlcoh.deviantart.com

PunkusJR

• Boss
« Reply #679 on: August 24, 2013, 07:34:53 PM »
We're working as hard and fast as we can to get "Heroes and Villains" up and running - you and your dad will be teaming up as superheroes again.

I'm really excited for that. So is my dad actually :D