Author Topic: How are you handling the loss?  (Read 186943 times)

AeternalDreamer

• Underling
How are you handling the loss?
« on: December 03, 2012, 06:51:49 AM »
I've played COH for about eight years, to be honest I lost track. I started about two weeks after launch though, so before issue 1 even came out, back when if you wanted a new costume that entailed remaking your character as there was no icon or facemaker yet.

I was there when they turned the server off too. I seem to be making myself upset though, hoping that one day the game will mysteriously be back, like NCSoft changed their minds to change their image or some such. I logged in the day after, just to see, and tonight I checked the server status and since it said Virtue was up I checked. It wasn't. That picture of Statesman in the launcher also got me sad. I didn't like Statesman as a character, he was.. holier than thou might be a good way to describe him, but the symbolism in that picture was heart wrenching.

NecrotechMaster

• Elite Boss
  • is there a badge for that?
Re: How are you handling the loss?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 06:55:57 AM »
i still have hope that coh will be revived in some way, either through acquisition of the IP by another company or by whats being done with the phoenix project here

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 06:58:06 AM »
I have hope, but I've been keeping busy so I haven't thought too much about it.  Finals are a week away, so I haven't had time to catch my breath and sob :(

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 07:03:01 AM »
I've stayed really busy, so I guess I haven't really felt it yet.  I did log into Champions Online since they posted such a nice message to us and played through the tutorial earlier today.  It was just so... different.  Not bad, just weird.  Not being intimately familiar with the interface, not being able to just jump in and do stuff, being the n00b for the first time in almost a decade while everyone else seemed to just "get it", I dunno.  It was a really bizarre feeling.  I don't know if I'll stick with it.  I do plan on trying out Neverwinter when I can get beta access; at least then, everyone will be the n00b and I have a chance to grow up with the community once again.

I've also been working on various web site stuff, and another little non-CoH project that I can't really talk about, and watched a bit of football today.  (What's up, 49ers?  The Rams are your kryptonite or something?)  The Falcons played on Thursday night (and beat the Saints by 10, woohoo!), so I didn't even have them to take my mind off of things.  I also hung out with Belle, did a bunch of Skype chatting, and miscellaneous stuff.

But yeah, I'm a bit down because I'm not seeing or talking to the usual crew of people I hang with, but I'm still convinced that we'll be able to bring the game back somehow, so I'm more pissed off at NCsoft and determined than down or depressed.

faith.grins

• Boss
  • Split your lungs with blood and thunder.
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 07:05:08 AM »
The Falcons played on Thursday night (and beat the Saints by 10, woohoo!), so I didn't even have them to take my mind off of things.
ARgh!  You are on the wrong side of history, my friend!  The Saints are coming!  Exclamation points!!!
Aram:  "Man, just look at all this.  Sometimes it's hard to believe that we get to live surrounded by such wonder."
Gamal:  "We don't live over there." Aram:  "We don't?"
Gamal:  "No.  We live over there." Aram:  "... But it's all on fire."
Gamal:  "Yes it is, Aram.  Yes it is."

Jetfire99

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 07:11:59 AM »
RPing elsewhere recovering getting ready to help with mouse letters. If anything i'm mad, I'm not going to lay down and die. I want to see COH rise again even if it's just...as a museam of what it was someday.

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 09:20:14 AM »
Throwing myself into coding and my studies, with the occasional thought to updating the offlince costume creator or producing something similar to it.
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

Sarge Morris

• Minion
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 09:32:15 AM »
Not well, to tell the truth.  To be honest, CoX was my first re-introduction to semi-normal society after I got out of Iraq. 

I served for fifteen months as a machine gunner.  Aiming at other humans and pulling the trigger was a fact of life.  When I got out of Iraq, I was, well, not quite hitting on all eight cylinders, if you know what I mean.  Hardly a functioning human being.  CoX was easy - I could play it from my barracks room, where I was comfortable.  I didn't have to go out in public, where I'd spend more time instinctively scanning for targets and feeling naked for my lack of body armor. 

CoX helped me more than I can effectively articulate as I struggled to make the transition from professional killing machine to human again.  Just simply interacting with people through a non-threatening medium where I didn't have to deal with the other glitches, twitches and bugs I had picked up while being shot at in a hostile environment for over a year of my life.

I'm still not quite right, and its been nearly five years, but I'm at least functional in the civilian sector these days, and I credit CoX and the community a lot with helping me through that difficult time.  Now that its gone, I'm not quite sure what to do with myself.  I still don't like going out in public. 

I suppose I'm moving on to STO finally.  I got the lifetime subscription, being a lifelong Trekkie, when it first came out, but that subscription sat ignored until very recently.  Despite not really being a comic book fan, CoX captured my attention, my imagination, and the friends I made are irreplaceable. 

Although if CoX2 comes out, I think my starships are going to go back to gathering dust in a drydock again.

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2012, 09:58:07 AM »
First off, Sarge Morris THANK YOU for your service. No one will ever understand what you have been through except your brothers in arms. I am very glad you are here in the forums, and hope you will always consider the CoX community a home base. The game helped so many people deal with inner struggles. I pray for your continued peace. Hang in there. You are a hero in and out of The City.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 01:29:59 AM by healix »
Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2012, 10:07:29 AM »
Thank you for your service and sacrifice, Sarge Morris.  Hang in there, game therapy is proving to be highly effective for vets.  Find another game that gives you some of the same release and relief as quickly as you can.  And stick with us here, we've got your back.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Tiberian Fiend

• Minion
  • Canis tiberius
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2012, 10:35:54 AM »
I'm kind of relieved.  I've been playing all the games I wanted to but couldn't because I was getting as much CoH in as I could over the last three months.  I hope to play CoH again some day, but I really was tired of it by the end.
The Titantic Tiberian Fiend

Minotaur

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2012, 10:41:23 AM »
I lost my mother 10 years ago. I'm feeling all the same emotions of bereavement but recognise them this time and am dealing with them better.

Sophronisba

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2012, 10:54:19 AM »
I thought I'd accepted the loss a couple of months ago, but it's bothered me more this weekend than I expected. I played CO this weekend (double XP!) but CoH was my favorite game and I haven't been able to find anything that really compares.

I do believe that CoH will be back someday, in some form, just because that's usually how things work. But I don't know whether someday will be six months from now or ten years from now.

NecrotechMaster

• Elite Boss
  • is there a badge for that?
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2012, 03:58:31 PM »
i took a 2 month break between oct and most of nov till the last day, i was almost burning out around the time of the shutdown announcement waiting for i24

however i still was on here the whole time, and when i was in game for the last day, i got to see and talk to numerous poeple whom i will miss greatly now that coh isnt always there for me to login

i still habitually open the official forums when i open a web browser and constantly reminded and saddened by the sunset message instead of the usual villain colored forums

every time i play a different game i always am reminded how coh DID absorb a lot of my time and i love it, most other games i play nowadays barely last me 8-20 hours which is about 1-3 days of play

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2012, 04:12:02 PM »
First, thank you for your service, Sarge Morris.

necrotech: i still habitually open the official forums when i open a web browser and constantly reminded and saddened by the sunset message instead of the usual villain colored forums

I deleted that off my favorites first thing. Something about that "thank you for your years of support, and FLY FREE!" message strikes me as the biggest middle-finger to the playerbase ever.

Its like getting my assignment changed at work, and the email ending with "...and thank you for your cooperation!" Yeah, like I have a choice in the matter. If you're going to be a totalitarian, don't try to sugarcoat it, I'll respect (rhetorical) you more.

Colette

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2012, 04:20:23 PM »
SGT Morris, even those of us who never saw action come away with PTSD, and have a dfficult time transitioning. Avoid "war movies" because they will trigger you, but go track down a copy of The Best Years of Our Lives. I found it helpful. Do not fall back on pre-programmed behavior. If you find yourself saying "suck it up!" just... stop and reclaim the real you. Good luck. -- LT Nolan.

Back on topic, I'd thought I had a healthy distance, but it looks like that was just my usual emotional compartmentalization. The last time I was in Gemini Park I couldn't bear to remain for the shutdown, so Sister Colette left, less than a minute after Ascendant did the same. Now I find myself feeling lonesome and I can feel it affecting my health. I'm looking forward to getting back to work today and being around people.

"Something about that 'thank you for your years of support, and FLY FREE!' message strikes me as the biggest middle-finger to the playerbase ever."

Agreed. That night I couldn't sleep, saw that, and made this.

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2012, 04:27:14 PM »
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 05:14:44 PM by Thunder Glove »

Nafaustu

• Boss
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2012, 04:31:38 PM »
Saturday after the crash (i'm in est and I was mid-swing with my Brute when Virtue went down the last time) I slept until Noon.   My gaming group was very understanding about the late start to my L5R game.  I was pretty sad, but I ended up GMing from 2ish-10pm.   Mind was on that.

Sunday I woke up and automatically hit the CoH icon on my lapstop.   Very sadface. LoL tournements on the big tv in the living room and Torchlight II.  Friends and distractions.

Came here to read these forums in my downtime at work.   Even more sadface.

Still hoping for a Hail Mary to win the game.

And thank you for your service, Sarge Morris.  :)

Spellcaster Hana

• Minion
  • City of Heroes will always and forever be my home.
    • Hana's Deviantart
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2012, 05:34:20 PM »
Most of my time revolved around CoX. Now that it's gone, I'm becoming depressed, anxious and restless.

I'd like to hope that NCSoft would change their mind on selling the IP but I think that's just asking for a miracle to happen. I know there are also people making a successor for the game, but right now, everyone is doing their own thing which I think is bad. We're still on the initial stage and we're not getting along already. I think now would be a good time to forget our pride, learn to compromise and work together or else all our efforts are going to go down from here.

I'm still hoping for that miracle...
"Sometimes, crossing the line is necessary in order to move forward."
"ALL HAIL EMPEROR COLE!!!" ( ̄^ ̄)ゞ
----------
My Deviantart: http://hanariblue.deviantart.com

Kaiser Tarantula

• Elite Boss
  • @Nerva
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2012, 05:52:14 PM »
I was rather depressed before rejoining CoH late August, and CoH helped take the edge off prior to closing.  Now I'm feeling it pretty hard and I'm struggling for a way to relax.  I'm finding little thing that honestly shouldn't bother me to be inordinately irritating.  Even on these forums, I've had to resist the urge to backseat moderate a couple times, which is a bad habit I have from my days as a moderator on several other forums.

I may need to just step away from everything CoH-related and find something else to throw all my free time into for a while, until I pull out of this depression-spiral.  Maybe I can get back into Minecraft again... provided I don't get the irrepressable urge to rebuild Atlas Park or Grandville in Creative mode.