Author Topic: How are you handling the loss?  (Read 186944 times)

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
Re: How are you handling the loss?
« Reply #700 on: August 28, 2013, 05:20:45 PM »
...one year later, and I'm still really -not- "handling it." There's a hole in my heart that only City can fill, a place called "home" that can only be met by Paragon, Rhode Island. A word called "family" that is filled only by members of the City community.

I mostly try to ignore the pain, bury myself in other things. That's how I get by. It's really easy to do right now, given my living situation, but I will always miss the wonderful patterns of chaos that flew through the streets of the digital City I chose to call my home.
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #701 on: August 29, 2013, 05:47:43 AM »
Just keep holding on and believing that we will somehow get our City back!
Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #702 on: August 29, 2013, 06:15:06 AM »
Just keep holding on and believing that we will somehow get our City back!

Oh great, now I've got Journey stuck in my head. THANKS.

... No really, thanks. It's a great song :)

Lycantropus

• Elite Boss
« Reply #703 on: August 29, 2013, 07:49:39 AM »
This reassurance made my day, Tony.  Thank you for everything you do.

I know I've said similar before, but agreed. When it comes to City of Heroes, I feel so... powerless about it, and am so thankful to those more talented, and/or tech-savvy than I, caring enough about this game to keep it alive, in both trying to revive the game itself, and in the projects in which they try to reproduce how we feel about it.

Even then, I have to realize how lucky I am that most of my SG mates and I have managed to stay together through the loss. As an 'older' group of gamers (small group of 30-40's and more+ as our makeup) we aren't inclined to just 'move on to the next thing' and I was really worried that I'd lose friends I'd spent over seven years of weeknights together over this. Hearing how so many folks lost touch with their SG's and our little group keeps 'chugging along' makes me realize how fortunate I am.

It's funny that most games that call themselves "MMO"s cater to teams of 4 or so. We've never really had trouble with too many people online for it to be an issue. Now, it's an issue fairly often. One of ours has been overseas in service and is now looking for stateside employment and between him and 3 other folks who show up fairly regular, it looks like we're going to have to do a 'two team' thing, which is a shame, as most of us log on to play with each other. On top of the fact that we keep saying "there's no place like home" to remind ourselves of our situation... it's hard.

Even then, I have to be thankful we're still together somehow, and sometimes that can be just as hard. Trying to organize our little group when we're 'overfull' on teams when in CoH we'd 'finally have a full team'... and making sure we can all participate and accomplish what we're doing any given night (prerequisites, purchased updates, etc.) continues to be harder than its seems it should most days.

When I speak of handling the loss, I can't just speak for myself. We're still working through the rough patches and while we've found other things that entertain us, we just want our city back.

This thread continues to illustrate we're not the only ones.

Beautiful artwork, Ellscry.

Lyc~

Floride

• Elite Boss
  • Badgehunter Extraordinaire
« Reply #704 on: August 29, 2013, 08:42:40 AM »
I made this for the anniversary today. Kinda answers the question. Still heartbroken and full of disdain while utterly confused.
History shows again and again
How nature points out the folly of men

OzonePrime

• Elite Boss
  • Never Give Up! Never Surrender!
« Reply #705 on: August 29, 2013, 11:24:00 AM »
Nice!

PunkusJR

• Boss
« Reply #706 on: August 29, 2013, 04:42:59 PM »
.__. Part of me says to set that as my wallpaper for the day even though it knows that will upset the other part of me.
I am the gun that rains judgement. I am the chill in the spine of evil doers. I am the flame that burns with justice. I am the teal angel that rises from death! I! AM! KAIT0!

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #707 on: August 29, 2013, 08:45:38 PM »
and now I have this vision of Libby on her knees screaming "KAAAAHHHHHHHNNNNN!!!!!"
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #708 on: August 30, 2013, 03:25:15 AM »
I made this for the anniversary today. Kinda answers the question. Still heartbroken and full of disdain while utterly confused.

That is really powerful. I want so badly to go stand on those steps again. With other people I mean.

Also, I just had a really strong urge to tell Ms Liberty to come reminisce on the forums with us. I... may need more sleep. :-\

Tubbius

• Fun Title
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #709 on: August 30, 2013, 04:24:35 AM »
That picture is beautiful, in a sad sort of way.  Well done.

Floride

• Elite Boss
  • Badgehunter Extraordinaire
« Reply #710 on: August 30, 2013, 05:20:57 AM »
I feel your pain
History shows again and again
How nature points out the folly of men

NecrotechMaster

• Elite Boss
  • is there a badge for that?
« Reply #711 on: August 30, 2013, 05:49:45 AM »
coh was still the only mmo that could ever keep my attention longer than a week or 2

what ive been doing in the last year? burning through my steam games list (im nearing approx 700 games now, thanks steam summer sale lol) and i think ive played approximately 100-200 games in the last year both trying to find something that would kill some time, as well as steam trading cards (damn steam trading cards lol)

the only mmo that ive found somewhat entertaining in the meantime is the one called defiance, but its certaintly no coh

LT. Couper

• Boss
  • The battle won't end until it's won!
« Reply #712 on: September 08, 2013, 12:27:52 PM »
Last night I had a dream about CoH that vaguely resembled a mission/taskforce in Strigia, fighting off the 5th Column and Council baddies. And it made me really long to play my peacebringer. Just kinda tears at me, having dreams like that. :'(

For some reason, the pain today feels as strong as if it were November 30th/December 1st all over again.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 01:59:42 PM by LT. Couper »
"Heroes may die, but heroism never shall." ~Cyrus "Breakneck" Thompson

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #713 on: September 08, 2013, 10:34:52 PM »
The pain of the loss was especially bad today, and last night.  An RP session went faulty on me because someone watch's to many bad anime's where one tiny little fighter or power armor suit "destroys 7 battleships in one shot!", bleh, the worst part of this godmoding is, well, the persons trying to stick to the lore of CO.  Problem is he makes it even more cheesy and black/white then it already is, which deeply annoyed me.

I realise that CoX didn't have perfect lore either but, I realise more then before how it's actually reasonably scaled.  And it was much more likable for it, compared to CO lore, which I honestly don't like at all anymore.  Because, it's just so black and white, and very bland to me because unfortunately the characters are cheesy, even the villains.  "Most advanced suit in the universe" got to me alot last night.

It's especially hard, and I'm hoping for CoX to return more then usual, and even more-so hoping to see how valiance online or the phoenix project goes.  Any of the plan Z's doing well would be a good thing, honestly I suspect it'd be the end of CO if they did to, a shame since CO had so much potential :(.  But thats life and the nature of competition.  Given CO likely won't get shut down but still, it'd certainly lost many players if good competition showed up again.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

PunkusJR

• Boss
« Reply #714 on: September 09, 2013, 01:17:34 AM »
The pain of the loss was especially bad today, and last night.  An RP session went faulty on me because someone watch's to many bad anime's where one tiny little fighter or power armor suit "destroys 7 battleships in one shot!", bleh, the worst part of this godmoding is, well, the persons trying to stick to the lore of CO.  Problem is he makes it even more cheesy and black/white then it already is, which deeply annoyed me.

I realise that CoX didn't have perfect lore either but, I realise more then before how it's actually reasonably scaled.  And it was much more likable for it, compared to CO lore, which I honestly don't like at all anymore.  Because, it's just so black and white, and very bland to me because unfortunately the characters are cheesy, even the villains.  "Most advanced suit in the universe" got to me alot last night.

It's especially hard, and I'm hoping for CoX to return more then usual, and even more-so hoping to see how valiance online or the phoenix project goes.  Any of the plan Z's doing well would be a good thing, honestly I suspect it'd be the end of CO if they did to, a shame since CO had so much potential :(.  But thats life and the nature of competition.  Given CO likely won't get shut down but still, it'd certainly lost many players if good competition showed up again.

I know what you mean with the lore. CoH's Lore wasn't perfect, I've played a lot of games with better lore, but it was great for a comic book based MMO. I mean I'm sure the Lore of DCU is good to . . . but that's based on actual comic series so it has an edge there. xD Anyways, hold onto hope. The plan Z's will come out, and the save city of heroes movement still exists so there's a chance we'll be able to go back even if it's small.
I am the gun that rains judgement. I am the chill in the spine of evil doers. I am the flame that burns with justice. I am the teal angel that rises from death! I! AM! KAIT0!

navyrayne

• Minion
« Reply #715 on: September 12, 2013, 04:04:01 PM »
I've not really posted on these boards, but all this time later I just can't let go. I believe this video (for those who have not yet seen it) still illustrates how I feel,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6QJmyP_azI

This was the last image I took of my main character, and I've not been able to bring myself to delete it.

Nothing else comes close, not CO, and not DCUO to the customization, the fun, the...well...FREEDOM to make the character I wanted to make.

I miss all those RP sessions on Virtue, all those friends made, all those TF's ran, all the joy of each new update..

I miss it all.
Community and Media Relations Manager - Pixel Constructor LLC - Grumpy Witch
Formerly,
Community Manager - Kerbal Space Program - Squad Games
Community Manager - Legends of Aethereus - Three Gates Studio
Community and Media Relations Manager - Heliborne - JetCatGames

PunkusJR

• Boss
« Reply #716 on: September 12, 2013, 09:44:33 PM »
I've not really posted on these boards, but all this time later I just can't let go. I believe this video (for those who have not yet seen it) still illustrates how I feel,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6QJmyP_azI

This was the last image I took of my main character, and I've not been able to bring myself to delete it.

Nothing else comes close, not CO, and not DCUO to the customization, the fun, the...well...FREEDOM to make the character I wanted to make.

I miss all those RP sessions on Virtue, all those friends made, all those TF's ran, all the joy of each new update..

I miss it all.

Personally I wouldn't delete it. Mine were deleted by accident and I've missed them ever since. You just have to hold on and be part of the community. :) The kickstarter for TPP starts soon. Personally I'm hopeful for it and the other plan Z's to turn out well.

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #717 on: September 12, 2013, 10:45:41 PM »
I am sitting here sobbing after watching that video, remembering the loss I felt when the server shut down for the last time. So much fun, so many friends....a part of my life for 8 years was gone. I HAVE to believe that we will get it back.  I won't stop believing that. The torch of hope burns brighter than ever in my heart, and we will all have our City back some day.
Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

navyrayne

• Minion
« Reply #718 on: September 12, 2013, 11:48:49 PM »
Every time I watch that video healix, I am filled with regret and hurt. Though, for some reason, I can't stop watching it.
Community and Media Relations Manager - Pixel Constructor LLC - Grumpy Witch
Formerly,
Community Manager - Kerbal Space Program - Squad Games
Community Manager - Legends of Aethereus - Three Gates Studio
Community and Media Relations Manager - Heliborne - JetCatGames

srmalloy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #719 on: September 13, 2013, 05:35:42 PM »
Personally I wouldn't delete it. Mine were deleted by accident and I've missed them ever since. You just have to hold on and be part of the community. :) The kickstarter for TPP starts soon. Personally I'm hopeful for it and the other plan Z's to turn out well.

I went through and took screenshots of all of my characters, and in addition to being squirrelled away on disk, I have them all in a folder on my tablet where I can pull them up and look through them to keep the memory... and the hope... alive.