Author Topic: Which AT will you miss the most?  (Read 7418 times)

Knightslayer

• Elite Boss
    • Monster Game!
Which AT will you miss the most?
« on: November 30, 2012, 02:56:47 PM »
I've always thought CoH's ATs were a rather unique breed, so I'm wondering, which one of them will everyone miss the most while our City goes on hiatus?
For me personally it's Masterminds, I've always loved running around with my own squad, or rioting it up with a Gang War on a mayhem mission.
Though it's a close call with Brutes.

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
Re: Which AT will you miss the most?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 03:05:38 PM »
I'll second Masterminds for this one. It's what my main is, and it's the only one that my computer's dislike for CoV will let me play effectively. (Minions don't care if my computer is not processing at the right speed to answer movement commands properly.)

Coulomb

• Underling
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 03:07:02 PM »
Brutes, hands down.  I think if they'd never introduced side switching (or the ability to start either side as nearly any AT) I wouldn't have even SEEN hero side since late 2005...

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 03:07:33 PM »
Honestly? All of them, equally.

Manga

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 03:09:22 PM »
My Katana/Super Reflex scrapper.  I'm no min-maxer, but it's still almost indestructible.  All other games I tried, there's absolutely nothing like it.  Not even in Champions.

AlienOne

• HumanZero
  • Elite Boss
  • Resident Kheldian
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 03:38:25 PM »
My Warshade for sure... There is nothing like it in any other game, really.
"What COH did was to show [developers of other] MMOs what they could be like if they gave up on controlling everything in the game, and just made it something great to play."  - Johnny Joy Bringer

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 03:45:34 PM »
Dominator.. and unfortunately it took me years to figure out how much I really truly loved Dominators..

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 03:50:11 PM »
My Katana/Super Reflex scrapper.  I'm no min-maxer, but it's still almost indestructible.  All other games I tried, there's absolutely nothing like it.  Not even in Champions.

Yeah not many places has a good COX like super reflex like component. In CO, I'm not even sure how one would even build a COX like Super reflex scrapper since there is no hit rolls and way to actually dodge an attack, meaning dodge it and take no damage. But was never was a fan of the hit roll system. Seems like the enemy were a bit too lucky with those rolls at times. I averaged about 70s in the rolls but the mob I faced averaged about low 20s, with plenty below rolling below 5 alot, more than that 5% chance of hitting frequency would suggest. Then again, I was never a very lucky bloke thus dont care too much stuff that depended on luck, especially with an AT where luck is the difference between being a very sturdy build to face planting every other mob.

I'll miss the COX Brute though, even though I have been able to replicate it in CO somewhat but different mechanics so some things are different but got it close enough to feel like I would a imagine a Brute feeling with the mechanics of that CO game. Hits hard, can take a hit, and lives for a fight.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012, 04:22:48 PM »
Of all my characters, I will miss my Tankers the most.  Woe be to all others MMOs that I have tried or will in the future try, for no characters I find seem to live up to the standards set by my CoH Tankers.

I will also miss my Masterminds, but I suppose I can recapture at least a little of their experience by playing a good RTS.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Kaiser Tarantula

• Elite Boss
  • @Nerva
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2012, 04:39:56 PM »
Masterminds.  To date, no game has allowed me to have my own personal squad of troublemaking leg-breakers.  Sure, they got their faults, but they're immensely charming in their own unique way.

Lord Banefire, my Demon Summoning/Thermal Radiation Mastermind, is just such a fun character to play.  I was able to solo both Scrapyard and Lusca with him (and the abuse of a lot of team inspirations, admittedly).  The ability to hurl a plethora of damage types, stack -Res like nobody's business (Melt Armor is good, Melt Armor plus Corruption/Lash/Crack Whip is even better), and wield heals, bubbles, and a rez when necessary was great.  From a storyline perspective, he's a dapper demon lord who was called here by a botched summoning and took over the body of his summoner.  He's mostly in it for his own power and glory, and doesn't much care what he does to get either of them - he understands that humans like to worship heroes, so he plays the honorable gentleman in public, while privately using his demon underlings and his own infernal powers to strong-arm or blackmail anyone who has something he wants.

Second would be Tankers.  Such a maligned and misunderstood archetype, but back in the day, when I teamed more, I loved the durability.  I loved being able to stand in the face of a horde of enemies and just sneer at their feeble attempts to hurl me, and just laugh as I toss them around like ragdolls and my allies just steamroll them.  Sure, not the most damaging, but give me an AoE or two or three and I'm a happy man.

Finally... the Arachnos Soldier.  Ever since I first saw a Crab Spider, I wanted that backpack.  The armor's nice too, but I wanted to have those clawed spider limbs waving and swaying menacingly overhead, a clear and present threat to anyone who would challenge me.  I wanted to be a walking multi-limbed spider-themed arsenal of weapons.  the Arachnos Soldier delivers... at least mostly.  Suppression was underwhelming, damagewise, and I was kinda miffed that Longfang is a machinegun instead of a rapid-fire energy cannon.  I kinda wished that Longfang would fire multiple rounds from multiple arms like Suppression does.  Other than that, the Crab Spider Soldier was a blast to play, and there's a good reason it was the first character I took to 50 on Beta server when I re-registered.  My forum account here is the namesake of my Soldier.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 05:17:13 PM by Kaiser Tarantula »

Tivomaniac

• Minion
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2012, 04:53:15 PM »
My Illusion/Storm Controller (Lady Valhalla) with a 202% recharge rate.  She is awesome.  Next to that my Spines/Dark Scrapper (Prickly Darkness).
--
You may know me as @PricklyDarkness from Triumph

angelo.pampalone

• Underling
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2012, 05:04:42 PM »
MM because I never had seen anything like that class
Brute because my favorite toon is a brute

PollyannaMatronic

• Underling
  • Redside for Life
    • Public Character List
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2012, 05:05:29 PM »
Definitely masterminds. The first toon that truly made my heart sing was my main villian and namesake, a bots/poison MM. I just loved playing her. I loved the noise the bots make, clanking after me everywhere I go. Polly's backstory always featured her as being a little bit lonely, and bots had a very loud way of making sure she knew she was never alone.

I think scrappers became my favorite AT in terms of playstyle, but in the end, the mastermind is the one I can't replace in other games.

Colette

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2012, 05:18:33 PM »
I wish I knew what type of MMs y'all were playing. I got my necro-dark to 50, but often literally went to sleep at the keyboard. "Letting other people fight for me?"

Sadly, I'm constitutionally unable to play anything squishy against mez, so I had real trouble getting a def (dark/psi) to 50. Never got a blaster, corruptor or PB there. Never even tried controllers or 'shades.

I like tankers, though I find them slow.

That leaves stalks and brutes, and I adore them. But you can't show off your costume on stalks, and you gotta work so hard to manage your End on brutes to take advantage of Fury (Levelled an axe/dark. Ye gods!) plus it kinda discourages stopping to type, and I'm an RPer.

The SOAs are terrific! I love my Fort and realy should have levelled more. Even so, they're limited to only four variations.

So... scrappers! They can tank except against AVs, astound everyone with their survivability and scrapperlock massacres, bodyguard the squishies... love scrappers!

Kaatrina

• Underling
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2012, 05:25:57 PM »
Ill have to say My Dominators Mind/fire/fire---dark/dark/psi---ice/psi/fire---electric/electric/mu
And my Corruptor water/kin

Mentalshock

• Boss
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2012, 05:31:12 PM »
Blasters are how I started.  Blasters are where I'll finish.

BadWolf

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2012, 05:58:08 PM »
Going by the number of 50s I have, Brutes narrowly edge out all the others. I have more Brutes at 50 than any other archetype, and I'll admit, the sheer adrenalin rush of "smashy smashy SMASHY!" is just awesome. Dual Blades, for some reason, was a personal favorite powerset. Moving from combo to combo to combo just always felt so Zen.

Then Masterminds and Scrappers tie for second; I'll never forget the time my Grave Knights knocked a Button Man into the air and his foot caught in some geometry, leaving him dangling upside down at half health. The "Zombie Pinata" didn't last long, but his memory will live forever. :) I also have fond memories of the time I ran into Manticore, and he started his attack by saying, "Bring it on. I've got enough arrows for everybody." Then my Thugs/Dark MM popped Gang War and dropped her Dark Servant. Turned out that strictly speaking, Manticore wasn't 100% accurate there.

Scrappers, of course, are the vanilla ice cream of the game. They go well with everything. :)

After that...got a couple tankers and a couple defenders, but I was starting to get more into those archetypes right before the announcement...I'd started to figure out how to slot them for a more aggressive, solo playstyle, and was really getting into them. I think that "next year in Jerusalem", I'll probably play my defenders a lot more. Ditto with my Corruptors (who I never got to 50.)

One blaster, one controller...too squishy and too slow for me, respectively, but I'm sure there are plenty who would disagree. :)

One stalker...too easy, really. You can ghost everything you don't want to bother with. It always felt like cheating to me.

No dominators. To me, they always seemed like the worst elements of controllers and blasters combined. But again, I'm sure there are plenty who would disagree. :)

No epics, but I loved them. There was just never enough time.

sl701

• Minion
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2012, 05:59:29 PM »
For me, Brutes... My main, and also my first toon created in CoV 7 years ago, is Killfrenzy, an SS/Inv brute. I had and have a blast playing him. I think I just fell in love with that AT.

2nd would be Masterminds, but only after the thugs power went active. Skull Biker is a thugs/dark MM and a former member of The Gang on Union. What a group that was! I remember those days fondly. A full team packed with thugs/... Masterminds steamrolling through missions and strike forces.

As for the rest... I think I tried every AT at least once and they will all be missed, but Brutes and MMs will hold a special place in my heart forever.

Kaiser Tarantula

• Elite Boss
  • @Nerva
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2012, 06:11:14 PM »
I wish I knew what type of MMs y'all were playing. I got my necro-dark to 50, but often literally went to sleep at the keyboard. "Letting other people fight for me?"
The idea behind MMs is that while your henchies do the bulk of the heavy lifting and tanking, you yourself are not helpless.  All mastermind primary sets have attack powers, and it's a good idea to take at least one of them in order to support henchmen. Some Mastermind sets are better than others in this regard; for instance, the whip attacks from Demon Summoning inflict -Res, which can be stacked capably with a little recharge enhancement (or liberal use of Hasten), and Crack Whip is a freaky-deaky short-range cone that can accept melee enhancements.  Lots of stacked -Res means your demons get to gleefully inflict more and more damage with every attack you land - even if your own damage sucks, it's worth it for that -Res stackage.  That's why I paired Demon Summoning with Thermal Radiation, which has Melt Armor for even more -Res.

For most Mastermind sets, your secondary set determines how you support your minions - healing, controlling, buffing or debuffing as necessary.  Your primary set's attacks really don't do much besides stacking To-Hit (great for crippling someone's offense in PvP, not so hot in PvE unless you're up against a lone boss, EB, or AV, and you'd need to stack it to overcome their resistance), so look to your secondary set for stuff to do in combat.  Dark Miasma is really Controller-y: you got Petrifying Gaze (ranged hold) and Fearsome Stare (cone fear), which you should be using religiously to incapacitate enemies for your Undead henchies to rip apart.  You can actually use Black Hole (AoE foe phaseshift) to thin out a tough crowd of enemies; usually bosses, EBs, AVs, and sometimes tougher LTs will escape it, allowing you to deal with them without being bothered by their underlings.

Dark Miasma, however, is very passive and inoffensive, and and your primary set's attacks have a defensive-oriented secondary effect.  I can see how you might feel like you're twiddling your thumbs while your Corpse Corps do all the work.

Tiberian Fiend

• Minion
  • Canis tiberius
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2012, 06:16:11 PM »
The best archetype: Scrapper.
The Titantic Tiberian Fiend