Author Topic: Which AT will you miss the most?  (Read 7421 times)

Knightslayer

• Elite Boss
    • Monster Game!
Which AT will you miss the most?
« on: November 30, 2012, 02:56:47 PM »
I've always thought CoH's ATs were a rather unique breed, so I'm wondering, which one of them will everyone miss the most while our City goes on hiatus?
For me personally it's Masterminds, I've always loved running around with my own squad, or rioting it up with a Gang War on a mayhem mission.
Though it's a close call with Brutes.

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
Re: Which AT will you miss the most?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 03:05:38 PM »
I'll second Masterminds for this one. It's what my main is, and it's the only one that my computer's dislike for CoV will let me play effectively. (Minions don't care if my computer is not processing at the right speed to answer movement commands properly.)

Coulomb

• Underling
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 03:07:02 PM »
Brutes, hands down.  I think if they'd never introduced side switching (or the ability to start either side as nearly any AT) I wouldn't have even SEEN hero side since late 2005...

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 03:07:33 PM »
Honestly? All of them, equally.

Manga

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 03:09:22 PM »
My Katana/Super Reflex scrapper.  I'm no min-maxer, but it's still almost indestructible.  All other games I tried, there's absolutely nothing like it.  Not even in Champions.

AlienOne

• HumanZero
  • Elite Boss
  • Resident Kheldian
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 03:38:25 PM »
My Warshade for sure... There is nothing like it in any other game, really.
"What COH did was to show [developers of other] MMOs what they could be like if they gave up on controlling everything in the game, and just made it something great to play."  - Johnny Joy Bringer

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 03:45:34 PM »
Dominator.. and unfortunately it took me years to figure out how much I really truly loved Dominators..

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 03:50:11 PM »
My Katana/Super Reflex scrapper.  I'm no min-maxer, but it's still almost indestructible.  All other games I tried, there's absolutely nothing like it.  Not even in Champions.

Yeah not many places has a good COX like super reflex like component. In CO, I'm not even sure how one would even build a COX like Super reflex scrapper since there is no hit rolls and way to actually dodge an attack, meaning dodge it and take no damage. But was never was a fan of the hit roll system. Seems like the enemy were a bit too lucky with those rolls at times. I averaged about 70s in the rolls but the mob I faced averaged about low 20s, with plenty below rolling below 5 alot, more than that 5% chance of hitting frequency would suggest. Then again, I was never a very lucky bloke thus dont care too much stuff that depended on luck, especially with an AT where luck is the difference between being a very sturdy build to face planting every other mob.

I'll miss the COX Brute though, even though I have been able to replicate it in CO somewhat but different mechanics so some things are different but got it close enough to feel like I would a imagine a Brute feeling with the mechanics of that CO game. Hits hard, can take a hit, and lives for a fight.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012, 04:22:48 PM »
Of all my characters, I will miss my Tankers the most.  Woe be to all others MMOs that I have tried or will in the future try, for no characters I find seem to live up to the standards set by my CoH Tankers.

I will also miss my Masterminds, but I suppose I can recapture at least a little of their experience by playing a good RTS.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Kaiser Tarantula

• Elite Boss
  • @Nerva
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2012, 04:39:56 PM »
Masterminds.  To date, no game has allowed me to have my own personal squad of troublemaking leg-breakers.  Sure, they got their faults, but they're immensely charming in their own unique way.

Lord Banefire, my Demon Summoning/Thermal Radiation Mastermind, is just such a fun character to play.  I was able to solo both Scrapyard and Lusca with him (and the abuse of a lot of team inspirations, admittedly).  The ability to hurl a plethora of damage types, stack -Res like nobody's business (Melt Armor is good, Melt Armor plus Corruption/Lash/Crack Whip is even better), and wield heals, bubbles, and a rez when necessary was great.  From a storyline perspective, he's a dapper demon lord who was called here by a botched summoning and took over the body of his summoner.  He's mostly in it for his own power and glory, and doesn't much care what he does to get either of them - he understands that humans like to worship heroes, so he plays the honorable gentleman in public, while privately using his demon underlings and his own infernal powers to strong-arm or blackmail anyone who has something he wants.

Second would be Tankers.  Such a maligned and misunderstood archetype, but back in the day, when I teamed more, I loved the durability.  I loved being able to stand in the face of a horde of enemies and just sneer at their feeble attempts to hurl me, and just laugh as I toss them around like ragdolls and my allies just steamroll them.  Sure, not the most damaging, but give me an AoE or two or three and I'm a happy man.

Finally... the Arachnos Soldier.  Ever since I first saw a Crab Spider, I wanted that backpack.  The armor's nice too, but I wanted to have those clawed spider limbs waving and swaying menacingly overhead, a clear and present threat to anyone who would challenge me.  I wanted to be a walking multi-limbed spider-themed arsenal of weapons.  the Arachnos Soldier delivers... at least mostly.  Suppression was underwhelming, damagewise, and I was kinda miffed that Longfang is a machinegun instead of a rapid-fire energy cannon.  I kinda wished that Longfang would fire multiple rounds from multiple arms like Suppression does.  Other than that, the Crab Spider Soldier was a blast to play, and there's a good reason it was the first character I took to 50 on Beta server when I re-registered.  My forum account here is the namesake of my Soldier.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 05:17:13 PM by Kaiser Tarantula »

Tivomaniac

• Minion
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2012, 04:53:15 PM »
My Illusion/Storm Controller (Lady Valhalla) with a 202% recharge rate.  She is awesome.  Next to that my Spines/Dark Scrapper (Prickly Darkness).
--
You may know me as @PricklyDarkness from Triumph

angelo.pampalone

• Underling
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2012, 05:04:42 PM »
MM because I never had seen anything like that class
Brute because my favorite toon is a brute

PollyannaMatronic

• Underling
  • Redside for Life
    • Public Character List
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2012, 05:05:29 PM »
Definitely masterminds. The first toon that truly made my heart sing was my main villian and namesake, a bots/poison MM. I just loved playing her. I loved the noise the bots make, clanking after me everywhere I go. Polly's backstory always featured her as being a little bit lonely, and bots had a very loud way of making sure she knew she was never alone.

I think scrappers became my favorite AT in terms of playstyle, but in the end, the mastermind is the one I can't replace in other games.

Colette

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2012, 05:18:33 PM »
I wish I knew what type of MMs y'all were playing. I got my necro-dark to 50, but often literally went to sleep at the keyboard. "Letting other people fight for me?"

Sadly, I'm constitutionally unable to play anything squishy against mez, so I had real trouble getting a def (dark/psi) to 50. Never got a blaster, corruptor or PB there. Never even tried controllers or 'shades.

I like tankers, though I find them slow.

That leaves stalks and brutes, and I adore them. But you can't show off your costume on stalks, and you gotta work so hard to manage your End on brutes to take advantage of Fury (Levelled an axe/dark. Ye gods!) plus it kinda discourages stopping to type, and I'm an RPer.

The SOAs are terrific! I love my Fort and realy should have levelled more. Even so, they're limited to only four variations.

So... scrappers! They can tank except against AVs, astound everyone with their survivability and scrapperlock massacres, bodyguard the squishies... love scrappers!

Kaatrina

• Underling
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2012, 05:25:57 PM »
Ill have to say My Dominators Mind/fire/fire---dark/dark/psi---ice/psi/fire---electric/electric/mu
And my Corruptor water/kin

Mentalshock

• Boss
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2012, 05:31:12 PM »
Blasters are how I started.  Blasters are where I'll finish.

BadWolf

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2012, 05:58:08 PM »
Going by the number of 50s I have, Brutes narrowly edge out all the others. I have more Brutes at 50 than any other archetype, and I'll admit, the sheer adrenalin rush of "smashy smashy SMASHY!" is just awesome. Dual Blades, for some reason, was a personal favorite powerset. Moving from combo to combo to combo just always felt so Zen.

Then Masterminds and Scrappers tie for second; I'll never forget the time my Grave Knights knocked a Button Man into the air and his foot caught in some geometry, leaving him dangling upside down at half health. The "Zombie Pinata" didn't last long, but his memory will live forever. :) I also have fond memories of the time I ran into Manticore, and he started his attack by saying, "Bring it on. I've got enough arrows for everybody." Then my Thugs/Dark MM popped Gang War and dropped her Dark Servant. Turned out that strictly speaking, Manticore wasn't 100% accurate there.

Scrappers, of course, are the vanilla ice cream of the game. They go well with everything. :)

After that...got a couple tankers and a couple defenders, but I was starting to get more into those archetypes right before the announcement...I'd started to figure out how to slot them for a more aggressive, solo playstyle, and was really getting into them. I think that "next year in Jerusalem", I'll probably play my defenders a lot more. Ditto with my Corruptors (who I never got to 50.)

One blaster, one controller...too squishy and too slow for me, respectively, but I'm sure there are plenty who would disagree. :)

One stalker...too easy, really. You can ghost everything you don't want to bother with. It always felt like cheating to me.

No dominators. To me, they always seemed like the worst elements of controllers and blasters combined. But again, I'm sure there are plenty who would disagree. :)

No epics, but I loved them. There was just never enough time.

sl701

• Minion
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2012, 05:59:29 PM »
For me, Brutes... My main, and also my first toon created in CoV 7 years ago, is Killfrenzy, an SS/Inv brute. I had and have a blast playing him. I think I just fell in love with that AT.

2nd would be Masterminds, but only after the thugs power went active. Skull Biker is a thugs/dark MM and a former member of The Gang on Union. What a group that was! I remember those days fondly. A full team packed with thugs/... Masterminds steamrolling through missions and strike forces.

As for the rest... I think I tried every AT at least once and they will all be missed, but Brutes and MMs will hold a special place in my heart forever.

Kaiser Tarantula

• Elite Boss
  • @Nerva
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2012, 06:11:14 PM »
I wish I knew what type of MMs y'all were playing. I got my necro-dark to 50, but often literally went to sleep at the keyboard. "Letting other people fight for me?"
The idea behind MMs is that while your henchies do the bulk of the heavy lifting and tanking, you yourself are not helpless.  All mastermind primary sets have attack powers, and it's a good idea to take at least one of them in order to support henchmen. Some Mastermind sets are better than others in this regard; for instance, the whip attacks from Demon Summoning inflict -Res, which can be stacked capably with a little recharge enhancement (or liberal use of Hasten), and Crack Whip is a freaky-deaky short-range cone that can accept melee enhancements.  Lots of stacked -Res means your demons get to gleefully inflict more and more damage with every attack you land - even if your own damage sucks, it's worth it for that -Res stackage.  That's why I paired Demon Summoning with Thermal Radiation, which has Melt Armor for even more -Res.

For most Mastermind sets, your secondary set determines how you support your minions - healing, controlling, buffing or debuffing as necessary.  Your primary set's attacks really don't do much besides stacking To-Hit (great for crippling someone's offense in PvP, not so hot in PvE unless you're up against a lone boss, EB, or AV, and you'd need to stack it to overcome their resistance), so look to your secondary set for stuff to do in combat.  Dark Miasma is really Controller-y: you got Petrifying Gaze (ranged hold) and Fearsome Stare (cone fear), which you should be using religiously to incapacitate enemies for your Undead henchies to rip apart.  You can actually use Black Hole (AoE foe phaseshift) to thin out a tough crowd of enemies; usually bosses, EBs, AVs, and sometimes tougher LTs will escape it, allowing you to deal with them without being bothered by their underlings.

Dark Miasma, however, is very passive and inoffensive, and and your primary set's attacks have a defensive-oriented secondary effect.  I can see how you might feel like you're twiddling your thumbs while your Corpse Corps do all the work.

Tiberian Fiend

• Minion
  • Canis tiberius
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2012, 06:16:11 PM »
The best archetype: Scrapper.
The Titantic Tiberian Fiend

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2012, 07:11:04 PM »
I like tanks, but I was only just really getting the hang of 'em. Regen scrappers and brutes are nice, but my highest levels are blasters and corrupters.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Profit

• Boss
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2012, 07:13:35 PM »
I will miss my tanks. All 18 of them. :D

voltknuckle

• Underling
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2012, 07:32:23 PM »
I'm gonna miss my arachnos soldier, he was part of one of my best RP experiences ever  :'(

but what I'll miss even more is Titan Weapons, Never has a giant weapon powerset been done so perfectly, especially for a giant dude in red armor wielding an axe the size of someone's body

Foxlight

• Underling
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2012, 07:35:15 PM »
Brutes.

Just felt like the best ratio of damage/not dying.

Also, there's something about getting right up in bad guys face and punching them.

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2012, 07:56:12 PM »
Defenders ended up being my favorite archetype.  I was working on a new main, Storm/Fire, when Black Friday came.  I had just gotten his first t4 Incarnate ability.  I love Defenders because of their versatility; two different combinations were two entirely different characters, who performed different roles.  Example, my Storm/Fire did a lot of damage and had some modest debuffing capability.  But an Emp/Sonic would focus entirely on buffing and debuffing, leaving damage as a tertiary concern.  Whereas something like Rad/Rad would be caught up in the middle. 

This isn't entirely unique to Defenders, but I feel that they have the biggest disparity between combinations of powersets.  On a Brute or Scrapper, the powersets play differently but perform (mostly) the same role.  The same is true (though less so) for Controllers, Masterminds, and other support archetypes.  Defenders are different, having amped up buff/debuff numbers make them more defined by the powersets they choose, leading to more versatility.  Also, my first and last level 50s were Defenders, which is cool :)

LT. Couper

• Boss
  • The battle won't end until it's won!
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2012, 08:44:45 PM »
I'll miss Scrappers. I had about 15ish of them and although I've always found the powersets of all the ATs were amazing, but I could only play a Scrapper really well, seeing as I've still charge into combat as a Controller or Defender.  :roll:
"Heroes may die, but heroism never shall." ~Cyrus "Breakneck" Thompson

HarvesterOfEyes

• Lieutenant
  • Mine is to collect from the wicked.
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2012, 09:04:10 PM »
I'll miss Peacebringer, especially for the sound-effects.

Shaz

• Underling
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2012, 10:05:59 PM »
Brutes. Absolutely Brutes. Something about the Fury mechanic... it would totally overcome me. GOT FURY CAN'T STOP GOT FURY CAN'T STOP, and I would go on and on and on and absolutely love every second of it.

Masterminds. Because wow, I have an ARMY of my OWN. Thug/Traps is what I fell in love with first, and has always had a special place in my heart.

City of Heroes may have been the first MMO I ever pre-ordered because of how fantastic I thought it was in beta, and I may have enjoyed all of the Heroic archetypes, but it was City of Villains that I truly fell in love with.

Palladiamors

• Minion
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2012, 10:11:17 PM »
My mastermind.  Leveled every type up to at least 32.  My only fifty is a mastermind.  Just something about having my own little army that appeals to me.  I have always loved pet classes,  and Masterminds are a pet class+.  I will never be able to find another MMO with a class like that, sadly.  I know.  I've looked.  The closest I can get are carriers in Star Trek Online,  or maybe Drone/Fighter carriers in EVE.  Still not the same feel though.

After that,  Soldier of Arachnos.  A good mixture of damage and later,  pets.  Made me all sorts of happy.  Bah,  this is all making me depressed.

Heraclea

• Minion
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2012, 10:36:19 PM »
Tankers.  My first character was one.  I have as many level 50 tankers as I have of all the other ATs.  If I have one level 50 on a server, it's a tanker.

I've rolled tanking classes in other games, and playing one in most other games is not nearly as much fun.  My favorite, in the end, was my Inv/Dark Melee tanker on Victory, Omphale.  If Dark Melee had been available to tankers when Heraclea was rolled, I would have used it instead.  Absolutely the toughest character I've ever had in a game, and with adequate DPS. 

Ichaerus

• Underling
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2012, 10:38:47 PM »
Corruptors, especially Ice/Dark, Dark/Dark, or Dual Pistols/Dark for combinations.  I always liked that proc chance inherent to a Corruptor.
Brutes: Dark/Dark Brute(Duck duck goose?), or Dual Blades/Willpower were my favorites.  And the fury mechanic was just great.
Scrappers: Titan Weapons/Fire Aura, or Martial Arts/Regen.
Stalkers: Electric Melee for the best looking animations.
Blasters/Blappers, for the stories I heard about these plucky heroes/villains.
Masterminds: Because it was the only AT I played that came w/ a whip powerset.

My only 50 is a Titan Weapons/Fire Aura scrapper villain.  I love the hell out of him.

Mister Bison

• Elite Boss
  • *psychotic grin*
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2012, 11:09:49 PM »
First it was the MM, then after a lot of trying and waiting (when SR went out for this AT), the brute.

You can just loathe the other games not providing this army-command.

And brutes. Now I really enjoyed upping 1-50 with my dark/SR brute, even the elites were cake. Felt truly powerful. And still is now.
Yeeessss....

LightofthePhoenix

• Lieutenant
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2012, 12:24:46 AM »
My first 50 (and a couple other 50s) was (were) Controllers.  I loved Controllers.  Built right they could sit there and toy with a mob for ages until eventually finishing them off.  It was so sadistic yet satisfying.

My second 50 was a Tanker.  I've never had another Tanker get very high but this lone Tanker has had the most time I spent ingame on a character.  Will never forget her indestructibility.

My third 50 was a Defender.  She was soooo much fun.  I had another Defender or two get to 50 and they were fun as well, but that one Defender... she could stand on her own with ease despite being a 'support' set.

I got a couple Blasters to 50 and, no pun intended, they were also a blast to play.  My Blasters were so powerful it was great fun to just run into a large mob and knock em all out before they could return the favor.
My CoH documentary class project:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGcFC197rfQ

Spellcaster Hana

• Minion
  • City of Heroes will always and forever be my home.
    • Hana's Deviantart
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2012, 12:34:24 AM »
I would say all of them but I will miss ice blasters and dual pistols of any AT the most.
"Sometimes, crossing the line is necessary in order to move forward."
"ALL HAIL EMPEROR COLE!!!" ( ̄^ ̄)ゞ
----------
My Deviantart: http://hanariblue.deviantart.com

Zolgar

• Grand Poobah of Plan Z
  • Boss
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2012, 01:30:13 AM »
ATs? Mechanics mean little to me..
I'll certainly miss my tanks, and brutes, and controllers and spider... >.>

What I will really miss though, are all my characters, and the wondrous creator they gave us.

Stratoburst

• Minion
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2012, 02:10:17 AM »
For just an archetype,  the Defender - it's so versatile.

For a character - I will miss my Peacebringer, because that character had the best biography I ever wrote.

Colette

• Elite Boss
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2012, 04:27:55 AM »
 "I can see how you might feel like you're twiddling your thumbs while your Corpse Corps do all the work."

Exactly! I need suggestions for a very active MM set for when CoH reopens. I expect the sorcery blast and the fighting pool enhancements will make a big difference too.

Tubbius

• Fun Title
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2012, 07:07:36 AM »
Archetype. . . Controller.  Specifically, XX/Empath.  Even more specifically, my two main toons, Tubbius (Plant Control/Empath/Ice Mastery) and Waddle the Penguin (Ice Control/Empath/Ice Mastery).  Tubbius is one of Justice's more prominent Santa Claus lookalikes; Waddle is the character dearest to my heart in terms of story due to his development over the four PENGUIN Architect Entertainment arcs and over his appearance in a fifth arc, This Costume Contest Sponsored by Tubbius.

Why do I love Controllers?  I'm a fairly natural leader who likes playing mid-range in the action, where I can both manage the action and call the shots.  As an Empath, I've never gone for Fortify, Clear Mind, Heal Other, or Absorb Pain, favoring the short range aura effects (better for soloing and better for forcing teamwork!), so after making numerous Empath controllers, I can say that it definitely suits my primary playstyle.

steve1967

• Minion
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2012, 08:11:16 AM »
Warshade, without a doubt.  Depending on how you build them you could play very differently, and always on the knife edge.  I loved when people would say, "Holy shit - I didn't realize Warshades were so uber!"

Pinnacle Blue

• Boss
  • Pinnacle Server is best server.
« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2012, 09:19:57 AM »
Triform Kheldians, especially my MFing Warshade Norville Pembrook.
Warshades don't take Alphas.  They give Alphas.

JusticeBringer

• Underling
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2012, 10:16:33 AM »
Beta: Blaster. Mesmerius, my 50 Psychic/Mental had always performed well, but Emissary of Justice (the original but mostly abandoned), my Fire/Fire/Flame Blaster suddenly became decently survivable. Also, I could finally turn his flames blue since his Epic Pool Powers could finally be changed to match! Blue flame primary/secondary attacks with standard flame colors for the Epic was completely unacceptable.

Live: Tanker. I only had one: my Willpower/Fire beast, Emissary of Justice., but he was all I needed. I've yet to encounter a superhero MMO that provides anything near the same survivability as he had. My flirtation with DCUO left me with a Fire Tank that felt weaker than my Fire/Fire/Flame blaster.

Technerdoc

• Lieutenant
« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2012, 10:25:06 AM »
I loved my mastermind Lina Moonshine, it's a character I can't rebuild anywhere else because no game have masterminds with robots....

...damn I will miss the entire game and everyone else...

Oliin

• Underling
« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2012, 10:29:59 AM »
A full third of my characters were blasters of some stripe or another.  I think it's safe to say I'm going to miss them the most.  Sure I suppose you could say that there's nothing terribly unique about a ranged damage class but they just felt different than all the other ones I've played before.  More like ranged artillery than anything else ... squishy ranged artillery, but still.

Moses Jones

• Underling
« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2012, 10:47:46 AM »
I will indeed miss Masterminds most of all.  No other game comes close to the flexibility and uniqueness with their pet classes.  Masterminds fill niche in comic books that's unique, in that their only real superpower is an amazing H.R. department.  In some ways they were the ultimate fun support class, because your Damage all came from your pets, so you could turn em loose on the mob, and then focus on healing, bubbling, trapping, whatever.  I will miss Masterminds the most, because there's no other game where you can play one. 

I will also miss the sheer variety of classes, including prestige classes, and the astounding range of possible power combinations for each class. 

Lastly I will miss Travel Powers.  Who needs mounts when you can fly across oceans, and leap over tall buildings?  Whatever the next worthy superhero MMO is, I think it should be designed with incorporating travel powers into the combat system. 

Ziggy1890

• Underling
« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2012, 10:49:38 AM »
Most definitely peacebringers.

Lots of fun and can not be emulated in any other game.

FFFFFFFFF*BEEEEEEEEEEEP*

Tahliah

• Lieutenant
« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2012, 11:02:18 AM »
My first toon ever was a blaster, and I went out on my blaster (my second one who became my main). 

But I think that I will miss MM's the most.  I loved playing mine (both ds/dark and ds/poison) . . . such fun!  I didn't get a chance to get my water corr to 50, but omg was she a blast (um, you know what I mean).  I also really loved playing unicorns, and I will definitely miss my plant/emp troller a lot. 

Sigh.

I already do.  Miss them all.  A lot.

EDIT:  lol, "controller," which I'd abbreviated to the T-word was auto-changed to unicorns.  I love it!  Yay, I will definitely miss playing my unicorns.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 11:08:45 AM by Tahliah »

Heroette

• Elite Boss
  • Penelope Pistol lives forever in my heart.
« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2012, 11:06:15 AM »
My Fire/Fire Blaster.  There is nothing like burning DOT.  Even if they did not die right away, you knew they would soon.  And my Ice/Dark Tank.  She could really take a beating and keep on going.  Man, I am going to miss them (Bernadette and Glacial Shadow respectively).  Oh, and Penelope Pistol.  She was so graceful in all her moves (Dual Pistols).  Ok, I think thats enough.

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2012, 11:30:18 AM »
Support ATs, in general. The idea of support being a force multiplier through buffs and debuffs rather than just a healbot was one of my favorite things about CoH, and probably the thing I miss most playing Champions.

ohms

• Boss
    • OV website
« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2012, 11:33:15 AM »
Defenders, Corruptors and Blasters were all my favourite although I had 50s for all ATs except VEATS. Any toons I didn't enjoy playing got deleted at lower levels.

Edit:

Actually, thinking about it I had a crab Spider at 50 but no Widow.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 07:13:10 PM by ohms »

Paindancer

• Lieutenant
« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2012, 11:59:46 AM »
My E3

Nothing says love like battle inspired by Tsung Tzu
@vengeance mk2

The iReport:  http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-838027
(read it, share it, recommend it)

candidate

• Underling
« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2012, 04:33:00 PM »
Brute and Stalker.

Those were awsome.

Quinch

« Reply #51 on: December 02, 2012, 08:30:10 AM »
Controllers, especially my mind/emp.

Because nothing says fun like whack-a-mole on championship difficulty.

ohsirus

• Underling
« Reply #52 on: December 02, 2012, 11:58:52 AM »
ICE/STORM Troller. Everyone else on my teams were just pets.

McNum

• Underling
« Reply #53 on: December 02, 2012, 02:24:26 PM »
Defenders.

So much diversity in one archetype. From making people nearly unhittable with forcefields, to shooting trick arrows at people, to summoning storms and mastering radiation. And every powerset did something different than the others. Or at least accomplished it in a different way.

Soundtrack

• Boss
« Reply #54 on: December 02, 2012, 02:39:01 PM »
My controllers and defenders were my favorites...

Scendera

• Boss
  • Faith Manages.
« Reply #55 on: December 02, 2012, 03:27:05 PM »
Loved my Peacebringer. She was officially biform, only picked up squid at the very end after reading how Kheldians could use their two forms to travel in space, and I wanted her to have a chance to survive, somehow...

srmalloy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #56 on: December 02, 2012, 03:27:48 PM »
For uniqueness, Masterminds; there are pet classes in other MMOs, but the flexibility and variety in Masterminds was head and shoulders above other games.

For the other ATs, specific characters and powersets stand out. My AR/EM Blaster, who, with my Psi/EM Blaster, were built out to see if I could make Jack Emmert's assertion "range is a Blaster's defense" true. To a fair extent, it worked, although the Malta Group, whose Gunslinger lieutenants and bosses could, with pistols, outrange a Snipe with Range Boost added on, were always a pain. And it was always entertaining, on a Rikti mothership raid, to stand in the middle of the bowl on the ship, hit Range Boost, and Full Auto the Rikti standing up on the lip of the bowl. The Psi/EM Blaster became my favorite for ITFs, because all of her attacks fell neatly into the Rage hole, so when the Minotaurs and Cyclopes popped Unstoppable and everyone else's damage dropped into the low two digits, I was still doing three- and four-hundred point shots to them.

My DM/EA Brute I wish I had more time to tweak her build on; I feel I could have increased her survivability and made her a more rugged fighter. I was able to tweak my TW/EA Tanker, capping resistance to Energy and Negative, which made any mission against Rikti almost a cakewalk. With her I had to be careful not to fall into the Tanker equivalent of scrapperlock. Although the slow animations meant that, unless facing opponents with lots of HP or defenses, they would all be on the ground before she could get more than an attack or two off.

I could go on about my Dominators and Scrappers and the like, but in the end I have to say that there's no one AT that I'm really going to miss much more than any other; it all pales beside the loss of the game as a whole. Although if I were to do it again, I don't think I would have the dogged determination to get a TA/Arch Defender to 50 and an Arch/TA Corruptor to 29... while the combination of Trick Arrow and Archery is a ton of fun in a group -- you don't take down a lot yourself, but it's very easy to see how much faster things go down around you with all your debuffs flying around -- they require a very careful, measured play style to survive well solo at the higher levels.

ukaserex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #57 on: December 02, 2012, 07:36:31 PM »
The blaster. Specifically, my fire/mm blaster and my fire/fire blasters. My main was ice/ice - sturdy, solid. Quite capable. Perfect for very tough challenges - but not built for speed.

The Fire/MM blaster - I had only just rolled one in June, had so much fun with it, after I got it tier 4'd, I rolled another one on another server. A lot of people feel that blasters were "squishy". Pure hogwash. When built properly, a blaster can survive easily. (with clever use of inspirations from time to time)

Still, opinions vary.

Second favorite is the brute. Brutes have great damage and high hp couple with the potential for soft-capped defense and a good amount of resistance, depending on your powerset choice. I love the SS/Fire brute for sheer killing speed. A great farm toon. (Even better than tw/fire with my play style.)
Will miss them all from time to time.
Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese

Dollhouse

• Boss
  • "What will happen? Will I dream?"
« Reply #58 on: December 02, 2012, 09:09:30 PM »
Toss-up between Defender and Stalker for me.

In the former case, D3s in particular. They were a bit of a specialty for me, and were really as much Controller as Defender. I loved their incredible versatility...it seemed like there was a club in the bag for every situation. Very solo-worthy (way, way back in the day, they could solo AVs...), and game changing on a team. In the early days of the game, no one wanted them. That was when it was hard for any Defender who was not an Empath or a Bubbler to get an invitation.

But some people knew. One of my favorite moments  ever in the game was getting a then-rare invite and the first thing I heard on Team chat was the leader saying "We got this now. I found us a Dark Defender."  :D

Now that I think of it, two of the other most gratifying, chest-bursting-with-pride things I ever heard from another player were D3-related. On Spookie's stretch run to 50, she was streetsweeping on PI, and had taken on a full spawn of Nemesis minions (at +3). Harder than most spawns for her, since they resist Fearsome Stare, but she was whittling them down. I got an incoming /tell: "How are you still alive??" When I had time to reply (she was scrambling pretty seriously...), I replied, "I make 'em miss a lot."  Good times...

The other? Rolling through some endgame content using "D3 Snaring" tactics, and hearing a team mate say "Having a D3 is like Team Godmode." I think I grinned my fool head off for the rest of the session.

Okay, the Stalker stuff's gonna have to wait. Recalling the above was a bit too bittersweet.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 03:20:32 PM by Dollhouse »

Nebularian

• Boss
    • Voyages of Imagination
« Reply #59 on: December 02, 2012, 09:30:13 PM »
I am going to miss my Emp=Defs most.  Mercy Vengeance, Nurse Dark-Light, Doc .45, Angel-Sprite.

I think I got the greatest fun out of playing the healers.

I can remember (or not remember, as the case may be LOL) going through entire arcs with only the slightest of clues who we were fighting because my entire attention was focused on keeping the rest of the team alive or revived LOL.   I only got to play for about 2 years, but in that time, I was able to play an okay blaster...an okay brute...never could tank worth a damn LOL  But I discovered I was danged good at playing emp-defs.   not quite sure if that is because I enjoyed them so much or the other way around :)

(@Nebularian)(AKA Dylan Clearbrook) Champion/Virtue - Nebularian/Sgt. Raines/Nurse Darklight/Cosmicana-Cosmicella/Mercy Vengeance/Angel Sprite/Suzy Uzi/Blue Arc/Dark Carolyne 

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #60 on: December 02, 2012, 09:38:51 PM »
I am going to miss my Emp=Defs most.  Mercy Vengeance, Nurse Dark-Light, Doc .45, Angel-Sprite.

I think I got the greatest fun out of playing the healers.

I can remember (or not remember, as the case may be LOL) going through entire arcs with only the slightest of clues who we were fighting because my entire attention was focused on keeping the rest of the team alive or revived LOL.   I only got to play for about 2 years, but in that time, I was able to play an okay blaster...an okay brute...never could tank worth a damn LOL  But I discovered I was danged good at playing emp-defs.   not quite sure if that is because I enjoyed them so much or the other way around :)
When I first played an Empathy Defender, I was so intent on keeping everyone at 100% I would exhaust myself.  Simple missions seemed like hours.  I later realized that keeping people alive was easier if I buffed them.

Nebularian

• Boss
    • Voyages of Imagination
« Reply #61 on: December 02, 2012, 09:48:22 PM »
When I first played an Empathy Defender, I was so intent on keeping everyone at 100% I would exhaust myself.  Simple missions seemed like hours.  I later realized that keeping people alive was easier if I buffed them.

Perhaps....but the point is...I enjoyed it :)  Seriously, I had a blast playing those emp defs :)   I even remember one team leader say something along the lines of "uh-oh, the healer has time to shoot at some one...time to raise the diff."   ;D

I tried playing the support types, but they really didn't interest me...don't think I got a troller above lvl 20 before I deleted it.
(@Nebularian)(AKA Dylan Clearbrook) Champion/Virtue - Nebularian/Sgt. Raines/Nurse Darklight/Cosmicana-Cosmicella/Mercy Vengeance/Angel Sprite/Suzy Uzi/Blue Arc/Dark Carolyne 

Undercat

• Minion
« Reply #62 on: December 02, 2012, 09:52:01 PM »
My illusion/kinetics controller was probably my fave. It occurred to me one day that, instead of directing a measly six brain-damaged pets as a mastermind, I could use /kinetics to supercharge an entire team (or taskforce) of intelligent "player-pets" into a finely-tuned killing machine. Add Phantasm, Phantom Army and a situational pair of Lore Pets to the equation and the result was a screen full of exquisitely-buffed mayhem-makers. Mwahahahahaa!

-Ahem-

The runner-up toon was probably my electric/fire blapper. Switch on Hot Feet and Blazing Aura, wait for the tank to take the alpha, then literally hop into the middle of a pack and cut loose with an embarrassing arsenal of AoE attacks (Fire Sword Circle, Short Circuit, Combustion, Ball Lightning, sometimes Bonfire). And die, often enough...only to pop Rise of the Phoenix and have the last laugh. Not that most mobs would last that long except at +3/4 or in itrials, but it sure was fun when it all clicked. And Melee Core Embodiment would occasionally turn her into an unstoppable volcanic Cuisinart.

Ah, good times. I'm sure this empty spot in my gaming soul is only going to get larger over the coming weeks. -sigh-

Daimyoshi

• Lieutenant
  • Shinobi
« Reply #63 on: December 02, 2012, 09:55:40 PM »
masterminds, nothing else like them anywhere. Stalkers too!

Minotaur

• Elite Boss
« Reply #64 on: December 02, 2012, 09:58:31 PM »
I will miss my tanks. All 18 of them. :D
Much the same, 15 50s and several lower in my case including my first 50 to go with something like 10 50 brutes and 13 50 scrappers, throw in 4 stalkers, a bane a WS speced as a tank and a couple of full on blappers then you have about half my 50s as melee toons.

I love being able to tank most things without support, towards the end I moved away from tanks as my pipe wrench/stone brute Bob the boulder could tank like a tank and hit like a truck. My most fun single toon was probably the last one I rolled, MA/shield scrapper. I'd avoided MA because of the KB on the low level attack, fitted the -KB attuned IO and just kicked asses for the last few days of CoH. I really wish I'd rolled it earlier. Before that it was probably my elec/shield scrapper.

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #65 on: December 03, 2012, 12:22:48 AM »
I always loved the responsibility of keeping others alive as a healer. Sometimes, it was so difficult on a big team, but an awesome feeling when I succeeded. (So many times I'd go invisible and travel all over looking for lowbies in battle and heal/buff them then take off....one of my favorite things to do.)
I think most of us have come to the realization that our favorite characters were little extensions of ourselves. (Being a villain allowed our dark sides to come out and play. Muhahahaha)
Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

Sajaana

• Boss
« Reply #66 on: December 03, 2012, 03:15:16 AM »
Back when CoV first arrived, I started a corruptor named Sajaana on Triumph (energy/kinetics).  She was instantly the most popular girl in the Rogue Isles.

She could Heal!  She could Solo!  She could do Damage!  She could even do some light Tanking!  She could do any job you asked her to do.

Corruptors were some of what I would call the best "eighth villains," and later, "eighth heroes" in the game, from my standpoint.  By that I mean, if you have your basic damage sink (tanker, MM and brute), your damage dealer (blasters, dominators, controllers and scrappers), and your healer (defender), the corruptor was a great archetype to fill in the remainder of the group slots.  Because the corruptor could do a little bit of everything and could fill in anywhere when someone went down.

Of course, a lot of ATs were like that.  The ATs in CoH weren't, as a rule, one role builds.  They could do many roles, even ones they weren't 'designed' to do.

Cryfire

• Lieutenant
« Reply #67 on: December 03, 2012, 11:01:47 AM »
Scrappers, Blasters coming in second.

My former lvl 50 scrappers...
Neverblade, Regen, Broadsword
Blade Pakdie, Regen, Katana
Red Brass, Regen, Martial Arts
Speedburst, Super Reflexes, Martial Arts
Dragon Cursed, Regen, Spines
Night Quest, Dark Armor, Claws
Dusk Sentinal, Dark Armor, Spines
Sol Suus, Willpower, Fiery Melee
Kyphris, Willpower, Duel Swords
Gold Condor, Super Reflexes, Claws

My former lvl 50 Blasters...
Cryfire, Electric, Electric
Blood Cricket, Archery, Mind
Power Boy, Fire, Energy
Trivod, Fire, Devices
Energy Master, Energy, Energy
Voyager Force, Duel Pistols, Energy

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #68 on: December 03, 2012, 11:14:55 AM »
All of them....all of them.

It was never the AT for me, it was always the character.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

FeeFyeFoeFum

• Underling
« Reply #69 on: December 03, 2012, 01:31:42 PM »
Scrappers, Brutes and Blappers - for the sheer thrill of driving me fist/weapon/etc into the bad guys faces  ;)

Special place in me heart for Masterminds, just for the fun of soloing AV's with em.

Great times....  :D

FeeFye

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
« Reply #70 on: December 03, 2012, 04:34:22 PM »
All of them....all of them.

It was never the AT for me, it was always the character.

Yeah. This. The ATs provided the flexibility to create anything I wanted.

I don't like talking about this in past tense.  :-(