Author Topic: Korean Kibun  (Read 62003 times)

Mister Bison

• Elite Boss
  • *psychotic grin*
Re: Korean Kibun
« Reply #80 on: October 05, 2012, 11:21:17 PM »
No, we're more of a hybrid Genetic Algorithm and Particle Swarm Optimization.
And each particle's error function is a Neuronal Network whose parameters are from genetics.

Wasn't it us that discovered "42" ? or we were made to discover the question ? That seems mighty plausible.
Yeeessss....

StarRanger4

• Boss
« Reply #81 on: October 05, 2012, 11:28:55 PM »
And each particle's error function is a Neuronal Network whose parameters are from genetics.

Wasn't it us that discovered "42" ? or we were made to discover the question ? That seems mighty plausible.

The question.  Which, Mr Adams allegedly claimed was something along the lines of "What is six x seven"

pandora114

• Lieutenant
« Reply #82 on: October 05, 2012, 11:52:21 PM »
The question.  Which, Mr Adams allegedly claimed was something along the lines of "What is six x seven"

Potato!

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #83 on: October 06, 2012, 12:28:53 AM »
Potato, potahto, tomato, tomahto!

Let's call the whole thing off!

:D

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #84 on: October 06, 2012, 12:33:01 AM »
I'm not sending this until it's fine-tuned.  I *think* that enough modernity has trickled over into Korea at this point that admitting your are old and childless is inclined to elicit more pity ("she has no one to take care of her!") than scorn.  I also believe that the SOUTH Koreans are at the stage of admitting that "differently abled" kids are worth having around, as opposed to China and NORTH Korea who refuse to admit they have any such thing.

But I'm not sure, so if anyone can dig anything up on either of those I would appreciate it.  You might have noticed I tinkered with the language a bit to make it more smooth and "harmonious." 

Since I plan to send this by overnight mail we have all weekend to work on it.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #85 on: October 06, 2012, 12:36:01 AM »
I'm not sending this until it's fine-tuned.  I *think* that enough modernity has trickled over into Korea at this point that admitting your are old and childless is inclined to elicit more pity ("she has no one to take care of her!") than scorn.  I also believe that the SOUTH Koreans are at the stage of admitting that "differently abled" kids are worth having around, as opposed to China and NORTH Korea who refuse to admit they have any such thing.

But I'm not sure, so if anyone can dig anything up on either of those I would appreciate it.  You might have noticed I tinkered with the language a bit to make it more smooth and "harmonious." 

If you think of anything a wordsmith-in-training can contribute, VV, just let me know. I think this letter of yours has a great chance at hitting the mark, and would like to make sure it succeeds. :)
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

QuantumHero

• Elite Boss
« Reply #86 on: October 06, 2012, 12:54:47 AM »

VV,

As another childless woman who holds enormous respect for you...I just wanted to offer you a hug for the things revealed in that letter and for any further pain I caused you by asking these painful questions...I was thinking of china and north korea with differently-able children you hit it right on the head.  I also hope they are more modern and that women are see as more then brood mares...but in Japan I understand that proper behavior is to walk behind one'shusband and they are also modernized in many ways.  They don't necesarilly haveto actually be degrading to women to have some small but critical piece of inter-gender protocal that could be very important for female leter writers..and there I ask for myself as well.

I am trying to decide if I am ashamed of myself for completely ignoring south korea in my quest to understand what shapes history and cultures across the world...but then I remember how little effort this company has previously made to understand us.  My words for them kep vacilating between pity for their ignorance and closed eyes, desperation for those eyes to open....and the desire to rip them multiple new orifaces with a razor sharp tongue.
If given two roads that lead no where good...stop using roads and carve your own path.

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #87 on: October 06, 2012, 12:56:07 AM »
* DrakeGrimm hugs EVERYONE in this  thread.
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #88 on: October 06, 2012, 01:19:52 AM »
Just so you know, I didn't have kids because I didn't want kids, not because I couldn't have them.  However I am not averse to playing that card to my advantage.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

QuantumHero

• Elite Boss
« Reply #89 on: October 06, 2012, 02:23:27 AM »
Just so you know, I didn't have kids because I didn't want kids, not because I couldn't have them.  However I am not averse to playing that card to my advantage.

I undertand VV, at the age of 37 I am at the point of needing to make that final decision one way or another before biology makes that point moot.. and somehow why am just the least bit afraid of the prospect of playing cards with you   ;) but then ncsoft is the one who keeps trying to play the game of Bullshit (which actually is a card game btw) but I also liked the phrase.

In a story it would come down to a dramatic speach, an honorabl competition, or an epic battle...one thingis for certain...if we do go down and there is no prospect of reprieve, no cooperation then on November 30th...we make a personal forest of sorrows for ncsoft which protects all other western gaming communities forever.   I suspect my implication there is clear to anyone who has read or written  ;) a certain series of books.

We are heroes, and this is what we do :) 
If given two roads that lead no where good...stop using roads and carve your own path.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #90 on: October 06, 2012, 02:30:18 AM »
....but I don't want to turn into a tree!

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #91 on: October 06, 2012, 03:37:02 AM »
Me, I do want kids. Scads of them. Hopefully, whatever girl is generous enough to wed me will feel the same.

And no, we're not turning you into a tree, VV. What do you think this is, Speaker for the Dead? :P

Quinch

« Reply #92 on: October 06, 2012, 02:34:02 PM »

And thus the "Mercedes is secretly Fluttershy" rumor is debunked.

Yes, I just made up that rumor. What's your point?

StarRanger4

• Boss
« Reply #93 on: October 06, 2012, 03:04:34 PM »

I'd rather be the forest than the tree.  But I agree with VV in that respect.  Vanyel's curse, while powerfull, isnt exactly the way I wanna go out either.

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #94 on: October 06, 2012, 03:40:13 PM »
I'd rather be the forest than the tree.  But I agree with VV in that respect.  Vanyel's curse, while powerfull, isnt exactly the way I wanna go out either.

You gotta admit though - as final exits go - that one had STYLE.

Mantic

• Boss
« Reply #95 on: October 06, 2012, 04:56:51 PM »
All this focus on cultural angles gives me the image of trying to negotiate with Chiun from The Destroyer. Maybe that's a good image; one would not want to piss Chiun off.

In a story it would come down to a dramatic speach, an honorabl competition, or an epic battle...one thingis for certain...if we do go down and there is no prospect of reprieve, no cooperation then on November 30th...we make a personal forest of sorrows for ncsoft which protects all other western gaming communities forever.

It perplexes me that anyone ever expected... what? A transfer of ownership within a couple month's time and uninterrupted service come November 30? That's what it sounds like whenever folks speak of November 30 as if there is no hope of accomplishing anything on December 1, or in the following months or years. Are you aware of some nefarious plan by NCSoft to delete everything and burn all physical records at midnight, November 30?

Pressure to sell or license the property should persist just the same on December first. Shutting the servers down doesn't shut us down. Or shouldn't, at least.

Not that I'm against illicit measures, before and after November 30, but I'd hope such things are geared more to preserving City of Heroes than warring with NCSoft. Calling upon the DDOS wrath of Anonymous is not really my line of thinking.

P51mus

• Boss
  • aka Pitho
« Reply #96 on: October 06, 2012, 09:53:04 PM »
Are you aware of some nefarious plan by NCSoft to delete everything and burn all physical records at midnight, November 30?

I have no idea what is usually done with account info/game info when a game is shut down, or what NCsoft plans to do with it when they shut CoH down.  Pretty sure just storing it all wouldn't cost too much, but if they don't want anything else to do with the game they might not bother storing anything.  And they haven't told us anything about it, so who knows.

Tacitala

• Boss
« Reply #97 on: October 07, 2012, 01:05:44 AM »
I'm not the best/most organized researcher but I've done some preliminary scrounging that might be able to get someone who is a better researcher in the right direction.

I *think* that enough modernity has trickled over into Korea at this point that admitting your are old and childless is inclined to elicit more pity ("she has no one to take care of her!") than scorn.

That seems to be correct, although there's a slight amount of panic (since it then falls to the government to lend a hand to the women, that puts a budget issue on the horizon)

Side note: if you follow some of the strictest ancestor worship, Congratulations! We're going to turn in to minor evil gods when we die.  See you in Dark Astoria and I call dibs on sending out the Elders of Sorrow.  :P  A more shamanic tone seems to be right on track: out in the countryside it's much more common for women to take up shamanism.

I also believe that the SOUTH Koreans are at the stage of admitting that "differently abled" kids are worth having around, as opposed to China and NORTH Korea who refuse to admit they have any such thing.

There is still a large stigma attached unfortunately, especially to children in the autism spectrum (which is blamed on the children's moms and seen as a shame to the whole family).

However a somewhat recent study on the number of children in the autism spectrum in S. Korea garnered a fair amount of press, so hopefully someone in the city would have a more modern view.

Hopefully.
"And I, of course, am innocent of all but malice."
- Princess Fiona of Amber

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #98 on: October 07, 2012, 03:28:04 AM »

There is still a large stigma attached unfortunately, especially to children in the autism spectrum (which is blamed on the children's moms and seen as a shame to the whole family).

Interesting, since that would seem to work in the letter's favor, since it is the mothers of these kids who themselves found a way via CoH to turn the kids around.

Quinch

« Reply #99 on: October 07, 2012, 04:18:19 AM »
I have no idea what is usually done with account info/game info when a game is shut down, or what NCsoft plans to do with it when they shut CoH down.  Pretty sure just storing it all wouldn't cost too much, but if they don't want anything else to do with the game they might not bother storing anything.  And they haven't told us anything about it, so who knows.

Hit Streak said that they're probably planning to back up stuff. Check the stream from a couple of days ago.