Author Topic: Avengers:Infinity War. GO SEE IT  (Read 22231 times)

Vee

• Elite Boss
Re: Avengers:Infinity War. GO SEE IT
« Reply #60 on: May 04, 2018, 06:21:56 AM »
How can you be so heartless as to consider a movie emotionally processed before you even know who catered it and what record company did the soundtrack?

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #61 on: May 04, 2018, 06:45:59 AM »
Actually, you're both partially wrong.  MCU Thanos' motivation is not radically dissimilar to the one in the comics.  It is just that a lot of people have forgotten what his motivation actually was in the comics.

Minor spoiler:
Spoiler for Hidden:
In the comics, Thanos worships Mistress Death, but in the Thanos Quest / Infinity Gauntlet story line Thanos is not an indiscriminate killer - he is actually working for Death itself.  Death resurrected Thanos specifically to accomplish a task, which Thanos himself has interpreted as bringing balance to the universe by culling the population so that life doesn't completely choke itself of all resources and dies.  If everything overpopulates itself to death, then no more things can die.  Death doesn't want everything to die, Death wants continuous death.  That can only happen if life continues to exist.

In that respect, MCU Thanos has the same motivation as comic book Thanos.  It is just that MCU Thanos reaches this conclusion on his own after he witnesses the fate of his home world while comic book Thanos is given this mission by Mistress Death.  Death chooses Thanos to carry out this mission specifically because he likes Death and destruction, but his goal is supposed to be not that of a lunatic killer.  He believes he is serving a cosmic purpose.

This got me rereading Infinity Gauntlet.  Because it didn't match up with the love stricken doof I remembered.  I present Thanos' self-proclaimed cosmic purpose, spoken to Death about why he collected the Infinity Gems:

"But I only sought such glory to become worthy of your love.  Your heart deserves better than the thrall I was."

This is in amongst some hilarious why-won't-you-notice-me-sempai type dialogue as Thanos begs, pleads, threatens, blows up a minion, and otherwise tries to get Death to love him.  What a maroon.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

ryuplaneswalker

• New Efforts # 17,000!
  • Boss
« Reply #62 on: May 04, 2018, 06:56:56 AM »
I watched it today and Absolutely loved it.

Thanos and his Motivation

Spoiler for Hidden:
I will be fine with his motivation as a Genocidal Cosmic Environmental Terrorist, but I hope they pull the "In love with Death" motivation too, just to screw with people. I loved his Portrayal through the entire movie, and his fight in Titan was absolutely amazing, That is how I always imagined an Archvillian fight in City of Heroes actually played out.

I will say his plan makes almost no sense, in that it will kill -far- more than half the population of the universe since like he is going to murder people in places of importance.

Thor

Spoiler for Hidden:
I Loved Thor in this, I love that it was him that pulled Groot out of being a spoiled brat, and I love him calling Racoon a Rabbit, him getting a new weapon makes sense and it opens for Beta Ray Bill once Helmsworth gets finished with being Thor.

The only thing they missed, was having the Stinger they used in Ragnarok when he came in at the end, The biggest complaint I have about the MCU is the lack of great music and they hit the exact song they should be using for when The God of Thunder shows up in full glory.

Iron Man

Spoiler for Hidden:
Poor Tony, he lost Pepper again..I bet 100% Pepper is one of the people Thanos dusted.

Star Lord

Spoiler for Hidden:
Did they REALLY need to make him screw up the final Fight on Titan? was that really needed, how about instead of having a hero act like a twat (understandably but still) how about you have that SOUL STONE that Thanos just got save him instead of it being a plot trinket that was overall pointless which leads me into

The Soul Stone

Spoiler for Hidden:
Did this thing need to exist? I mean I loved that Red Skull got to show up again but they could have cut this part out, as the Soul Stone did absolutely nothing, Thanos didn't even use it in combat, I am 100% convinced that they are going to use it as a get out of jail free card for the Heroes at this point.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #63 on: May 04, 2018, 09:19:15 PM »
This got me rereading Infinity Gauntlet.  Because it didn't match up with the love stricken doof I remembered.  I present Thanos' self-proclaimed cosmic purpose, spoken to Death about why he collected the Infinity Gems:

"But I only sought such glory to become worthy of your love.  Your heart deserves better than the thrall I was."

This is in amongst some hilarious why-won't-you-notice-me-sempai type dialogue as Thanos begs, pleads, threatens, blows up a minion, and otherwise tries to get Death to love him.  What a maroon.

The issues to read are the prelude to Infinity Gauntlet, especially Silver Surfer 34-38.  They are collected in the Silver Surfer: Rebirth Of Thanos trade paperback.  From Silver Surfer 35:

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #64 on: May 04, 2018, 09:21:22 PM »
The credits were so long that by the time the requisite after credit scene appeared the processing of the movie's story should've been well over.  I'm not arguing that the ending wasn't emotional even knowing that there's inevitably more to come, just that the after credits scene didn't change that one way or the other (in my opinion, it would be a shame if it did).  Nor have any of them really impacted their preceding story.

I'm not specifically arguing what should happen either.  I'm stating as a fact how many people did in fact process the ending and/or described how the stinger affects the ending.  I can't make promises about how anyone will definitely do so.  I'm making a recommendation about the stinger based on how a large number of people actually viewed the stinger and the ending.  I'm by far not the only person making this particular observation.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #65 on: May 04, 2018, 09:55:54 PM »
Thanos and his Motivation

Spoiler for Hidden:
I will be fine with his motivation as a Genocidal Cosmic Environmental Terrorist, but I hope they pull the "In love with Death" motivation too, just to screw with people. I loved his Portrayal through the entire movie, and his fight in Titan was absolutely amazing, That is how I always imagined an Archvillian fight in City of Heroes actually played out.

I will say his plan makes almost no sense, in that it will kill -far- more than half the population of the universe since like he is going to murder people in places of importance.

Spoiler for Hidden:
I don't believe Thanos' plan specifically requires the number of entities destroyed to be precisely fifty percent.  I don't believe Thanos' plan is to simply decimate the population so there's less mouths to feed.  I believe Thanos' plan is to *show* the universe just how much better life is when there are less mouths to feed, so that they can see just how right he was, and then it will be easier to implement population and resource controls.

It is not a totally absurd plan.  Here on Earth, there is a trend that countries with high population rates tend to also have lower economic growth: it is a vicious circle of needing more people to have enough workers to subsist and outrace a higher death rate.  When population growth slows and families have fewer children and concentrate their resources on feeding and educating fewer children, standards of living tend to rise and that tends to incentivize having fewer children.  Shifting from a high population growth subsistence path to a low population growth higher standard of living path requires a cultural change and it is probably the change Thanos wants to effect in the universe by showing what the alternative is.  I'm not saying that plan will work, but I believe Thanos is trying to make a more fundamental change to how people think.  And remember, he believes he is right, so he probably believes he can convince others.  As proof, he states that after he culled the population of Gamora's home world it became a utopia because of abundance.

Star Lord

Spoiler for Hidden:
Did they REALLY need to make him screw up the final Fight on Titan? was that really needed, how about instead of having a hero act like a twat (understandably but still) how about you have that SOUL STONE that Thanos just got save him instead of it being a plot trinket that was overall pointless which leads me into

Spoiler for Hidden:
There are three thoughts here.  One: Starlord is an idiot.  Two: Starlord is actually in on Strange's plan, but we the audience don't know that yet.  Three: 99.99999% of the time Starlord does not do that stupid thing, but Dr. Strange needed that to happen so he made sure to manipulate events to guarantee that circumstances were the one in fourteen million where Starlord goes bananas.  I'm not sure where I fall yet.

The Soul Stone

Spoiler for Hidden:
Did this thing need to exist? I mean I loved that Red Skull got to show up again but they could have cut this part out, as the Soul Stone did absolutely nothing, Thanos didn't even use it in combat, I am 100% convinced that they are going to use it as a get out of jail free card for the Heroes at this point.

Spoiler for Hidden:
We don't know the Soul Stone did absolutely nothing.  Each stone offers some control over an aspect of reality individually, but they also combine in power collectively.  Vision uses the mind stone to project force beams, for example, which have nothing to do with minds.  The presumption is that it is the wielding of all of them in combination that allows the wielder to have full control over the whole of the universe.  Thanos also doesn't specifically do anything with the mind stone in combat either.  He takes it from Vision to complete the Gauntlet.

Because there is a "mind" stone and a "soul" stone that establishes that in the MCU there's a difference between mind and soul.  To cause half the universe' entities to be wiped out of existence, it is entirely possible that Thanos needed control over both minds and souls to do that.  But it is also possible that to affect universe-spanning changes you simply need all the stones to work together, regardless of which aspect of the universe each stone focuses on.

As to the soul stone being a get out of jail free card, I don't think that's the case.  Infinity War establishes that the one thing you don't get to do is use the Soul Stone for free.

There's a backstory to the stones that hasn't appeared in the movies yet and has only been hinted at, but has shown up in some background material.  Supposedly the infinity stones were created by actual cosmic entities at the time of creation: Eternity, Infinity, Entropy, and Death. This may not be 100% canon as it appears in the Art of the Guardians of the Galaxy book, but if the stones were created by the cosmic entities then it is possible that the Soul Stone was created as a kind of deliberate key to unlocking the other stones.  In effect, it prevents lesser beings from wielding the full set for lesser purposes because it requires someone that actually genuinely loves something and yet willing to give it up for a greater purpose.

Dev7on

• Elite Boss
« Reply #66 on: May 05, 2018, 12:02:46 AM »
Spoiler for Hidden:
There are three thoughts here.  One: Starlord is an idiot.  Two: Starlord is actually in on Strange's plan, but we the audience don't know that yet.  Three: 99.99999% of the time Starlord does not do that stupid thing, but Dr. Strange needed that to happen so he made sure to manipulate events to guarantee that circumstances were the one in fourteen million where Starlord goes bananas.  I'm not sure where I fall yet.

I disagree with you Arcana. What Star Lord did was human. Also, remember in Civil War when Tony Stark found out Bucky killed is parents? He tried to kill him. That was very emotional and it's also hypocritical of Tony telling him that. Imagine if you found out I killed one of your loved ones you will do the same thing to me. I don't blame Star Lord at all in my opinion.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #67 on: May 05, 2018, 12:45:52 AM »
Spoiler for Hidden:
I also didn't like the Soul Gem's "payment." It should be that you sacrifice your own soul. Killing someone else isn't a sacrifice on your part.

Spoiler for Hidden:
I don't know, I have a sneaking suspicion that the situation with the Soul Stone may be a bit more complicated than it seems at first.

My pet theory is that Gamora is the Soul Stone -- or rather her soul became it after being sacrificed. The flash of young Gamora talking to Thanos the instant he activates all the stones plays into that. Notice that up to that point, while he activated the other gems individually to deal with different situations, he avoided using the Soul Stone entirely.

It's quite possible that he simply doesn't understand its power, but it would be an interesting twist if the 'cost' is something that is invoked every time the stone is used rather than a one-time payment.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #68 on: May 05, 2018, 02:22:43 AM »
The issues to read are the prelude to Infinity Gauntlet, especially Silver Surfer 34-38.  They are collected in the Silver Surfer: Rebirth Of Thanos trade paperback.  From Silver Surfer 35:

I believe that's recapped in the opening narration of Infinity Gauntlet and seems to describe Death's motivation for reviving Thanos and not, as we discover, Thanos' actual motivation.  Indeed, killing half the universe is something he ends up doing as an afterthought to keep his vow in another attempt to win Death's affection - it's not even nearly the first thing he does.
 He's far less relatable/sympathetic to me in the comics, and far more just hilariously awful. 'Why won't you love me/speak to me/smile for me?!'  So hilariously awful.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

ryuplaneswalker

• New Efforts # 17,000!
  • Boss
« Reply #69 on: May 05, 2018, 03:32:25 AM »
one moment futzing with tags

Spoiler for Hidden:
I don't believe Thanos' plan specifically requires the number of entities destroyed to be precisely fifty percent.  I don't believe Thanos' plan is to simply decimate the population so there's less mouths to feed.  I believe Thanos' plan is to *show* the universe just how much better life is when there are less mouths to feed, so that they can see just how right he was, and then it will be easier to implement population and resource controls.

It is not a totally absurd plan.  Here on Earth, there is a trend that countries with high population rates tend to also have lower economic growth: it is a vicious circle of needing more people to have enough workers to subsist and outrace a higher death rate.  When population growth slows and families have fewer children and concentrate their resources on feeding and educating fewer children, standards of living tend to rise and that tends to incentivize having fewer children.  Shifting from a high population growth subsistence path to a low population growth higher standard of living path requires a cultural change and it is probably the change Thanos wants to effect in the universe by showing what the alternative is.  I'm not saying that plan will work, but I believe Thanos is trying to make a more fundamental change to how people think.  And remember, he believes he is right, so he probably believes he can convince others.  As proof, he states that after he culled the population of Gamora's home world it became a utopia because of abundance.

Spoiler for Hidden:
The problem is, the way Thanos does things isn't through cultural change, not long term sorts, slaughtering/vanishing 50% of a planets population will have in terms of politics, leadership, wars breaking out, civilizations collapsing, he can believe he is right all he wants, the plan is still derp simply because of unintended consequences of just poofing people mid important tasks. "I will leave half of everyone alive minus all the people who die as a result of me poofing randomly.

His plan would likely work short term on any of the Medival societies there are in the universe, but any for lack of a better term "western" society his plan likely would lead to the large majority of the remaining population dying off from starvation because the means of food production/packaging and transportation fall apart. I honestly don't trust Thanos when he says that Gamora's home became a utopia, as her rap sheet said that she was the last of her kind, and Thanos seems to be the sort that would just assume his plan worked without actually checking in on things.

Spoiler for Hidden:

Spoiler for Hidden:
Eh the scene itself was easier resolved just by Thanos breaking out through brute force, the second one doesn't absolve Star Lord of responsibility, and the third is very unlikely. I just hated that they felt the need to make one of their main characters look absolutely absurd.

Spoiler for Hidden:
We don't know the Soul Stone did absolutely nothing.  Each stone offers some control over an aspect of reality individually, but they also combine in power collectively.  Vision uses the mind stone to project force beams, for example, which have nothing to do with minds.  The presumption is that it is the wielding of all of them in combination that allows the wielder to have full control over the whole of the universe.  Thanos also doesn't specifically do anything with the mind stone in combat either.  He takes it from Vision to complete the Gauntlet.

Because there is a "mind" stone and a "soul" stone that establishes that in the MCU there's a difference between mind and soul.  To cause half the universe' entities to be wiped out of existence, it is entirely possible that Thanos needed control over both minds and souls to do that.  But it is also possible that to affect universe-spanning changes you simply need all the stones to work together, regardless of which aspect of the universe each stone focuses on.

As to the soul stone being a get out of jail free card, I don't think that's the case.  Infinity War establishes that the one thing you don't get to do is use the Soul Stone for free.

There's a backstory to the stones that hasn't appeared in the movies yet and has only been hinted at, but has shown up in some background material.  Supposedly the infinity stones were created by actual cosmic entities at the time of creation: Eternity, Infinity, Entropy, and Death. This may not be 100% canon as it appears in the Art of the Guardians of the Galaxy book, but if the stones were created by the cosmic entities then it is possible that the Soul Stone was created as a kind of deliberate key to unlocking the other stones.  In effect, it prevents lesser beings from wielding the full set for lesser purposes because it requires someone that actually genuinely loves something and yet willing to give it up for a greater purpose.

Spoiler for Hidden:
The problem I have is that, Thanos didn't use the Soul Stone in combat, in all the fights as he was using the Stones they would glow, we know he wasn't using the Soul Stone except once because it never glowed as he was infinity geming, and of course he wouldn't use the Mind Gem..he didn't get it till last :P

I disagree with you Arcana. What Star Lord did was human. Also, remember in Civil War when Tony Stark found out Bucky killed is parents? He tried to kill him. That was very emotional and it's also hypocritical of Tony telling him that. Imagine if you found out I killed one of your loved ones you will do the same thing to me. I don't blame Star Lord at all in my opinion.

My problem is less with Star Lord specifically, but the felt that the writing team felt the need to have a situation at all where Quill f***ed the universe, I understand the actions of the character in that situation..but they should never have had that situation in the first place as it exists ONLY to make Quill look terrible.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 12:31:21 PM by eabrace »

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #70 on: May 07, 2018, 12:10:04 AM »
Spoiler for Hidden:
The meme potential, people.  The meme potential.

-- Shot of Quill flipping off Thanos then disappearing through Strange's portal.  GIFs must be made.
-- Image Macro ideas are going off in my mind now.
     -- Thanos Pianos!  Clearance Sale 50% Off-- oooh, too soon?
     -- "No Thanos, you had enough time with the Lite Brite."  Cut to a shot of Thanos grinning with all six gems in place.
     -- Four year old with Hulk Gloves!  Thanos grinning... "Keep it."

Maybe I didn't get out of the movie what others did.  ???
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #71 on: May 07, 2018, 12:36:50 AM »
Have to get up pretty early in the morning to beat this one

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #72 on: May 07, 2018, 10:31:33 PM »

Iron Man was lashing out angrily, but he wasn't trying to kill Rogers, or for that matter probably not Bucky either, in Civil War.  He wasn't unleashing anywhere near the full lethal abilities of the Iron Man suit at the time.  He could have literally vaporized both of them.  We've seen him unleash firepower far in excess of what he was using on both of them. 

As to Starlord's actions, this is spoiler territory:

Spoiler for Hidden:
People arguing that Starlord reacted as anyone else would are literally wrong.  People confront other people who have murdered their loved ones all the time in the real world, and irrationally attacking them is not common.  That would be comparable to a murder victim's survivor jumping over the rail and attacking the murderer of their loved ones in court, or shooting them dead as they walked into the court room.  That is so rare of an occurrence so as to be noteworthy when it happens.  And the entire universe is not on the line in those cases.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #73 on: May 07, 2018, 10:38:29 PM »
I don't know, I have a sneaking suspicion that the situation with the Soul Stone may be a bit more complicated than it seems at first.

I'm going to extract this one sentence from the spoiler tags because its not really spoilerish on its own.  I'm pretty sure everything about the Infinity Stones is more complicated than it seems on the surface.  We are talking about objects with potentially unlimited power but clearly depicted to have limits that depend on circumstance and wielder.  In A3 Thanos has one goal, so we don't have to think about what the limits of the Infinity Stones are.  But in A4 I'm pretty sure we the audience will need to know what those limits are or the characters will have to learn what they are in order to tell a narratively interesting story.

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #74 on: May 07, 2018, 11:33:19 PM »
Not really a spoiler, but...

Spoiler for Hidden:

Less of a spoiler than the "I don't feel so good" one.

"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #75 on: May 08, 2018, 12:00:15 AM »
I had another thought about the Infinity Stones that may be relevant to Avengers 4.

Spoilers for A3:

Spoiler for Hidden:
Technically speaking although everyone talks about Thanos wielding the Infinity Stones it occurs to me that he didn't actually wield the Infinity Stones.  He wielded the Infinity Gauntlet which uses them.  It is established in the MCU that Infinity Stones are almost impossible to wield directly and will destroy lesser beings, but they can be placed into artifacts that allow the wielder of the artifact to wield *some* of their power.  The Eye of Agamotto is one such artifact.  Ronan placed the power stone in his weapon to wield it, and the Celestial in the Collector's records wielded an infinity stone in another weapon.  Thanos has the gauntlet created by Eitri the dwarf craftsman, who created Stormbreaker and I think Mjolnir as well.

It is a little weird that Stormbreaker seems capable of resisting the infinity stones at the end of Infinity War, but in retrospect that might actually make sense.  Stormbreaker isn't resisting the infinity stones, it is resisting the power of the Infinity Gauntlet.  The Infinity Stones might have unlimited power, but the Infinity Gauntlet might have lower limits to its ability to harness that power.

The Infinity Gauntlet appears to be destroyed by Thanos when he unleashes the power of the Infinity Stones to eliminate half the population of the universe.  I have a feeling that this difference between what the Infinity Stones can do and what the limits of a weapon powered by the stones can do will become important in Avengers 4.  And I'm wondering now if prior statements by Kevin Feige that Captain Marvel is the "most powerful" superhero they've ever written into the MCU has something to do with her ability to control Infinity Stones.

Dev7on

• Elite Boss
« Reply #76 on: May 08, 2018, 04:12:45 AM »
Iron Man was lashing out angrily, but he wasn't trying to kill Rogers, or for that matter probably not Bucky either, in Civil War.  He wasn't unleashing anywhere near the full lethal abilities of the Iron Man suit at the time.  He could have literally vaporized both of them.  We've seen him unleash firepower far in excess of what he was using on both of them. 

As to Starlord's actions, this is spoiler territory:

Spoiler for Hidden:
People arguing that Starlord reacted as anyone else would are literally wrong.  People confront other people who have murdered their loved ones all the time in the real world, and irrationally attacking them is not common.  That would be comparable to a murder victim's survivor jumping over the rail and attacking the murderer of their loved ones in court, or shooting them dead as they walked into the court room.  That is so rare of an occurrence so as to be noteworthy when it happens.  And the entire universe is not on the line in those cases.

I'm not buying it. We clearly saw he was trying to kill Bucky. He even took out his arm for crying out loud. They're called "Avengers" for a reason. Also, it does happen often in real life. Not where I come from. For example, [I'm kinda getting off topic] when the USA women's gymnastics doctor was charged for sexual abuse the father of one of the athletes irrationally attacked him in court. A police officer killed an unarmed civilian and a person randomly killed a police officer in retaliation. What I'm trying to say is it depends on the person. Some people are emotional, some are not.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 04:41:58 AM by Dev7on »

LateNights

• Elite Boss
« Reply #77 on: May 08, 2018, 06:46:24 AM »
You said it - the arm - if Tony had really wanted to hurt Bucky he could have, but by choosing to take out his arm it's clear he only meant to neutralize the threat.

Rogers had other ideas though...

It's Tony that's lucky to be alive, cause Steve went straight for the thing that could quite easily have killed him!!

Dev7on

• Elite Boss
« Reply #78 on: May 08, 2018, 01:16:37 PM »
You said it - the arm - if Tony had really wanted to hurt Bucky he could have, but by choosing to take out his arm it's clear he only meant to neutralize the threat.

Rogers had other ideas though...

It's Tony that's lucky to be alive, cause Steve went straight for the thing that could quite easily have killed him!!

Oh yeah? Then why Tony was using tank missiles earlier in the fight? If those missiles would've hit Bucky that will kill him. I'm still not convinced guys.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 01:31:45 PM by Dev7on »

CG

• Elite Boss
« Reply #79 on: May 08, 2018, 04:53:56 PM »
I'm not buying it. We clearly saw he was trying to kill Bucky. He even took out his arm for crying out loud.
Tony didn't take out Bucky's arm via some strategy or tactic. He did it to keep Bucky from ripping out the Arc reactor.  That the arm was destroyed was a side effect.