Author Topic: Avengers:Infinity War. GO SEE IT  (Read 22222 times)

doc7924

• Elite Boss
Re: Avengers:Infinity War. GO SEE IT
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2018, 02:14:34 PM »
Well its official -

"Best........... Box Office Opening.............Ever.........."

(Until Avengers 4)

Garble

• Boss
  • Shy Weirdo
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2018, 09:24:20 PM »
The first one made me literally think they should have just eaten Gilligan.  If i was there, I would have literally shot him in the face.

Yeah... "We don't trade lives!"

Spoiler for Hidden:
So let's send hundreds of Gungans Wakandans to die protecting one dude.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2018, 09:32:23 PM »
BTW nostalgia feels that the giant wheel ships looked a bit like the Doctor Doom vehicle in the Secret Wars toyline. Unfortunately the shield the Wakandans gave Cap didn't appear to be lenticular.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2018, 02:43:16 AM »
The weekend estimates are for record 250 million domestic - Justice League only limped to 229 million domestic for it's whole run - it's not even a contest anymore, it's a rout.

The latest number I'm seeing is 258 million domestic, which beats The Force Awakens by an incredible ten million dollars.

Also, Black Panther moved *upward* in Infinity War's opening weekend, moving from 8th place to 5th place domestically, partially aided by double features in some locations.  That's just crazy.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2018, 02:45:19 AM »
Yeah... "We don't trade lives!"

Without spoilers, I think this is going to be the arc words of the Infinity movies.  And I think the speaker of them will come to deeply regret them.

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2018, 03:13:17 AM »
I enjoyed the movie, but the pacing felt really weird to me.  Like it was a bunch of movies pieced together.  Not to mention this particular thing kept bugging me

Spoiler for Hidden:
You could practically put money on when someone would be rescued, and someone would die.  Oh no, this hero has lost!  Good thing another appears on the horizon!  That loses its effect after the 10th freaking time.

I recommend the movie, but its exposition needed work.  The movie would be a lot better if it was like a 5 part HBO series instead of trying to pack so much stuff into a single movie.

hurple

• Elite Boss
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2018, 01:37:12 PM »
DC and Warner should go see this and takes notes - lots of notes on - how to do these types of films that won't suck.

Or just let Disney buy them too.

H311, DC's movie division should watch "Crisis On Earth-X" and take notes on how to do these types of films that won't suck.

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2018, 03:17:50 PM »
H311, DC's movie division should watch "Crisis On Earth-X" and take notes on how to do these types of films that won't suck.

This is true. That miniseries was way better then any of the films.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2018, 08:37:41 PM »
Hrm... I liked Thanos' original motivation, but I also like and fully endorse his motivation in the movie.  I was never a big fan of Thanos in the comics, though - I liked his motivation there because it was absurd and served to make him a bit of a laughing stock.

I loved that the suit had four arms instead of three.

The 3D ranged from pointless to awful.

All-in-all it was a fun ride.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Golden Girl

• One Liners and Winky Faces
  • Elite Boss
    • Heroes and Villains
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2018, 09:47:38 PM »
This is true. That miniseries was way better then any of the films.

It worked for the same reason that IW worked - the characters had all been introduced and fleshed out previously, so the team-up could hit the ground running.
"Heroes and Villains" website - http://www.heroes-and-villains.com
"Heroes and Villains" on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
"Heroes and Villains" on Twitter - https://twitter.com/Plan_Z_Studios
"Heroes and Villains" teaser trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnjKqNPfFv8
Artwork - http://goldengirlcoh.deviantart.com

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2018, 09:58:24 PM »
i liked Thanos's motivations better than the comics. It's always better when the villain has more depth than "I am mighty and I want x!"

Spoiler for Hidden:
Though nobody tell Thanos it only takes Earth about 20 years to double its population.

I don't really agree with that.

Spoiler for Hidden:
He was better as just a serial/mass killer. There's no reason to give him a twisted benevolent slant. He kills because death is good and he loves her. That is all. The sight of Thanos crying disgusts me. The only tears he should be capable of are crocodile.

Actually, you're both partially wrong.  MCU Thanos' motivation is not radically dissimilar to the one in the comics.  It is just that a lot of people have forgotten what his motivation actually was in the comics.

Minor spoiler:
Spoiler for Hidden:
In the comics, Thanos worships Mistress Death, but in the Thanos Quest / Infinity Gauntlet story line Thanos is not an indiscriminate killer - he is actually working for Death itself.  Death resurrected Thanos specifically to accomplish a task, which Thanos himself has interpreted as bringing balance to the universe by culling the population so that life doesn't completely choke itself of all resources and dies.  If everything overpopulates itself to death, then no more things can die.  Death doesn't want everything to die, Death wants continuous death.  That can only happen if life continues to exist.

In that respect, MCU Thanos has the same motivation as comic book Thanos.  It is just that MCU Thanos reaches this conclusion on his own after he witnesses the fate of his home world while comic book Thanos is given this mission by Mistress Death.  Death chooses Thanos to carry out this mission specifically because he likes Death and destruction, but his goal is supposed to be not that of a lunatic killer.  He believes he is serving a cosmic purpose.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2018, 11:08:15 PM »
Actually, you're both partially wrong.  MCU Thanos' motivation is not radically dissimilar to the one in the comics.  It is just that a lot of people have forgotten what his motivation actually was in the comics.

We've probably read too much of Deadpool ragging on him in the intervening years.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2018, 12:51:48 AM »
On another note, if anyone is reading this thread and is one of the nine people on Earth that hasn't seen the movie yet, stay to the end of the credits for the stinger scene at the end.  In my opinion Infinity War's stinger is an integral part of the movie.  Without it, Infinity War ends on a very specific note.  But with the stinger, the movie ends on an epilogue that has a materially different tone.

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2018, 03:30:27 AM »
On another note, if anyone is reading this thread and is one of the nine people on Earth that hasn't seen the movie yet, stay to the end of the credits for the stinger scene at the end.  In my opinion Infinity War's stinger is an integral part of the movie.  Without it, Infinity War ends on a very specific note.  But with the stinger, the movie ends on an epilogue that has a materially different tone.

In reference to that I was a little confused

Spoiler for Hidden:
Who was that distress call too?  I couldn't quite make it out, I thought it might be Captain America?

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2018, 03:49:24 AM »

As long as it doesn't lead to very little and is not disappointing after waiting so long for it.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2018, 04:15:19 AM »
In reference to that I was a little confused

Spoiler for Hidden:
Who was that distress call too?  I couldn't quite make it out, I thought it might be Captain America?

Spoiler for Hidden:
Captain Marvel. I suppose we'll find out in her movie what she's been up to (since it's supposed to be set in the 90s i'm guessing the post-credit scene will involve current her getting Fury's signal) but presumably she's running around the galaxy being all proactive or some such.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2018, 07:00:29 AM »

I don't see it.

Spoiler for Hidden:
It's a dark ending where the bad guy has dramatically won with grave consequences for the entire universe either way.  Without any more details, it can't even be called a bare glimmer of hope in the darkness, and even if it were taken as such it's tarnished itself by the dissolution of Fury.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2018, 08:12:52 AM »
I don't see it.

Spoiler for Hidden:
It's a dark ending where the bad guy has dramatically won with grave consequences for the entire universe either way.  Without any more details, it can't even be called a bare glimmer of hope in the darkness, and even if it were taken as such it's tarnished itself by the dissolution of Fury.

I don't see it either

Spoiler for Hidden:
Just seems like the usual set up for the next character they've been doing since IM. Because to me Doc Strange's use of the time stone pretty much invalidates any of the grave consequences we see from that point on. Now maybe they won't just have Thanos put it all back the way it was or have it revert when Tony tricks him into saying 'Sonaht' or have them all reappear on Battleworld at the end of part 2 or whatever. But I have trouble accepting anything after a character views possible futures, sees one scenario that turns out well, then does something seemingly ridiculous.

on a different note
Spoiler for Hidden:
I like the idea that Carol would hit the snooze when half the universe's population disappears but would hop to at a fancy DM from Fury.

CG

• Elite Boss
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2018, 02:57:21 PM »
Saw it, really liked it.  I really liked the story of Thanos - the best villains don't think they're villains.

Spoiler for Hidden:
They played the "I must save this one life and give Thanos a chance to complete the gauntlet even if it means the death of trillions" too many times.  They certainly do trade lives.

Thor is the best!  He's just on completely different level than everyone else.  Things that rational people think would be impossible are obvious options for Thor and he makes it work. 
  • Survive unaided in the vacuum of space?  Yup.
  • Kick start a dyson ring by hammer throwing (Olympic-style) a spaceship.  Easy.
  • Doing a bodybuilder pose to open a portal to a neutron star to melt metal and surviving.  A flesh wound.
  • Mortally wounding Thanos where the best anyone else could do was a scratch? With authority.

I hope they come back around to that "You should have gone for the head" comment.

I love that he took Groot in school I can totally see Thor thinking "it's only 3 words; easy 'A'"

Stormbreaker puts us one step closer to Beta Ray Bill, who is one of my favourite characters!

Steve and T'Challa racing ahead to engage the outriders was awesome too!

I *loved* that they actually killed half of everyone!  Going to be interesting to see how they undo that.  I suspect that Dr. Strange's one vision of success was this timeline.

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2018, 01:01:33 AM »
Saw it, really liked it.  I really liked the story of Thanos - the best villains don't think they're villains.

Spoiler for Hidden:
They played the "I must save this one life and give Thanos a chance to complete the gauntlet even if it means the death of trillions" too many times.  They certainly do trade lives.

Thor is the best!  He's just on completely different level than everyone else.  Things that rational people think would be impossible are obvious options for Thor and he makes it work. 
  • Survive unaided in the vacuum of space?  Yup.
  • Kick start a dyson ring by hammer throwing (Olympic-style) a spaceship.  Easy.
  • Doing a bodybuilder pose to open a portal to a neutron star to melt metal and surviving.  A flesh wound.
  • Mortally wounding Thanos where the best anyone else could do was a scratch? With authority.

I hope they come back around to that "You should have gone for the head" comment.

I love that he took Groot in school I can totally see Thor thinking "it's only 3 words; easy 'A'"

Stormbreaker puts us one step closer to Beta Ray Bill, who is one of my favourite characters!

Steve and T'Challa racing ahead to engage the outriders was awesome too!

I *loved* that they actually killed half of everyone!  Going to be interesting to see how they undo that.  I suspect that Dr. Strange's one vision of success was this timeline.

Spoiler for Hidden:
I felt like they really beefed up Thor for this one.  Which I am okay with but he seemed even more powerful than normal