Author Topic: And the mask comes off.  (Read 1750051 times)

Harpospoke

• New Efforts # 4,000!
  • Elite Boss
Re: And the mask comes off.
« Reply #1360 on: September 06, 2014, 10:08:37 PM »
Exactly... I actually had an Empath Defender that I made specifically to do just that.... My fav thing to do was just join new lowbie teams doing sewer runs and keep everyone alive while they passed the "boring" levels (as I like to call them)... :)

I didn't do it often, but sometimes it was really fulfilling to get a few reactions from people who were really new to the game.... "Wow, what kind of a community IS this?!?!?" as if all their previous gaming experiences were with teenage Call of Duty players that call each other horrible names....
My favorite was hanging out between the Hospital in Atlas and the Hollows gate to give out SB.   More than once a newly SB'ed toon would take off for a few feet only to come to an abrupt halt to look around and see what the heck just happened.

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1361 on: September 06, 2014, 10:10:04 PM »
I was probably a member of all of them.   Always plenty of options to choose from and the teams were full of good players.  (Maybe there is a correlation between knowing about chat channels and being a good player?)

Elitist. :)
Cogito, Ergo... eh?

Harpospoke

• New Efforts # 4,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #1362 on: September 06, 2014, 10:21:00 PM »

Harpospoke

• New Efforts # 4,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #1363 on: September 06, 2014, 10:22:31 PM »
Found it:
That original quote is not as clear as I would like with the idea that NCSoft offered I23.   It just states that the team only asked initially for the IP.   There is nothing there about what led to I23 being included.  :(

Remidi

• Minion
« Reply #1364 on: September 06, 2014, 10:29:47 PM »
I have a small question.  With all the talk about coding and what will and won't be possible if we get the game back, I have one question - will we be able to rebuild our supergroup bases?  Obviously I've written off the old one, but since I was the base builder for our SG, I need to make plans for the new one.

Rejolt

• Elite Boss
  • Infinity Server 2005-2012
« Reply #1365 on: September 06, 2014, 10:34:50 PM »
My favorite was hanging out between the Hospital in Atlas and the Hollows gate to give out SB.   More than once a newly SB'ed toon would take off for a few feet only to come to an abrupt halt to look around and see what the heck just happened.

I did this with Fulcrum Shift. Yes, I didn't join the team lol, just played guardian angel.
Rejolt Industries LLC is now a thing. Woo!

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #1366 on: September 06, 2014, 10:48:26 PM »
I did this with Fulcrum Shift. Yes, I didn't join the team lol, just played guardian angel.

Now i'm going back into the good memories of nuking things with a fulcrum shifted energy blast nova.  From a defender or corruptor.  I had an energy blast/kin corruptor in the works near the shutdown, I wanted to see just how much damage I could get a nova to do in the hands of a corruptor.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Scott Jackson

• Plan Z: Gameplay Lead
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #1367 on: September 06, 2014, 11:19:11 PM »
Scott! Good to see you. Thanks for posting, and thanks for starting this whole thing off.
- Warcabbit

Thanks, Warcabbit!  From your CoT updates, I get that you're very dedicated to the feel of CoH gameplay as I was, and it's too bad we didn't get the chance to work side by side over these two years.

Whatever I may have done to help get Plan Z rolling and make it seem real and achievable, I count that as time well spent.  I wish that life hadn't stepped in the way of me playing a bigger part, but it brings a smile to my face every time this community gets past another inevitable tough choice or technical hurdle.  It's great to see everyone steaming ahead, all charged up with engine software and volunteers and financing, and then recall those early days... an odd mix of "We can't let it end like this" anger/courage while the shutdown counter ticked to zero, trying to spread hope and confidence that one way or another the City would return.  That we could eventually have the City back in 5 different incarnations would have been astonishing at the time, even more so that a Plan Z project begun with zero cash and no intent to approach NCSoft might end up connecting the right people and tactics for a TFHM win.

I can hardly wait to see these games, worlds, and characters [back] in action.

jendragon

• Underling
  • I don't look half as good as my CoH toons.
« Reply #1368 on: September 06, 2014, 11:36:58 PM »
Character creator - I am going to see if I can make an Icon port basically to render all the models and existing costume parts - this alone is a LOT of work. Codewalker used a program to map to existing assets - we have to create the assets and the Creator.

Would it not be easier for Codewalker to port Icon instead?

Pherdnut

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1369 on: September 06, 2014, 11:42:01 PM »
I have a small question.  With all the talk about coding and what will and won't be possible if we get the game back, I have one question - will we be able to rebuild our supergroup bases?  Obviously I've written off the old one, but since I was the base builder for our SG, I need to make plans for the new one.

Assuming it pans out, any feature that was active in the game at the time it was closed should be available. What they won't be able to do is add a ton of new stuff easily.

Brigadine

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1370 on: September 07, 2014, 12:12:04 AM »
Good point. The main stuff missing was the server if I understand right.

Brigadine

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1371 on: September 07, 2014, 12:13:13 AM »
Assuming it pans out, any feature that was active in the game at the time it was closed should be available. What they won't be able to do is add a ton of new stuff easily.
So the Christmas event/Halloween events were not active. Wouldn't that mean none of that stuff?

Pherdnut

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1372 on: September 07, 2014, 12:29:15 AM »

Doing a direct port is more complicated than it might sound. Clothes actually have physics nowadays. And even the skintight stuff is probably going to need new textures.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #1373 on: September 07, 2014, 12:31:23 AM »

I think he is busy on something else.

Burnt Toast

• Elite Boss
  • Tastes Good!
« Reply #1374 on: September 07, 2014, 12:48:53 AM »

Neither was the Summer Blockbuster...which means the Overwhelming Force IO set probably won't be in play :( I have been going under that premise when making my builds. I just hope the Super Packs are in the game otherwise we lose all our AT IOs :( :( :(

So the Christmas event/Halloween events were not active. Wouldn't that mean none of that stuff?

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #1375 on: September 07, 2014, 01:06:38 AM »
That original quote is not as clear as I would like with the idea that NCSoft offered I23.   It just states that the team only asked initially for the IP.   There is nothing there about what led to I23 being included.  :(
Well i'm not going to search for that now, i have to get ready for a club night.  :P Anyway, i was responding to the part of the discussion about NCsoft offering the game to the NuDevs when the initial inquiry was about the IP. It's not going to get any clearer, because at that time Ironwolf didn't know it was specifically the i23 version that was being offered. That wasn't known until somewhere much closer to the time this thread was created. So you won't get much more clarity than you already have since you found out at about the same time as everyone but the NuDev team.
So far so good. Onward and upward!

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #1376 on: September 07, 2014, 01:11:39 AM »
Neither was the Summer Blockbuster...which means the Overwhelming Force IO set probably won't be in play :( I have been going under that premise when making my builds. I just hope the Super Packs are in the game otherwise we lose all our AT IOs :( :( :(
Thing is that all seasonal events can be switched on and off without changing the game code, so no access to the source is required. Various seasonal events have been turned on and off in the past without any need to push out a patch every time.
So far so good. Onward and upward!

Darkfaith

• Minion
« Reply #1377 on: September 07, 2014, 01:24:43 AM »
Thing is that all seasonal events can be switched on and off without changing the game code, so no access to the source is required. Various seasonal events have been turned on and off in the past without any need to push out a patch every time.

Indeed. If I remember correctly, many of them were run for us in the days between the announcement and the final day, and there was definitely no patching in that period.

ukaserex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1378 on: September 07, 2014, 01:36:21 AM »
*nods as if he knows much of anything*

I don't want an identical experience between using my PC, phone and tablet, but I do want an integrated experience: they should all talk to each other as a unified whole (hardware limitations withstanding).

Well, after years of fighting it, I finally got a smart phone. And, it would seem, compared to me, it is smart. For some reason, it wants to be integrated with my gmail account. I really don't understand why. I love the notion of using the phone to see where the cheapest gas is on my commute to and from work. Using a phone for e-mail? That makes no sense to me. Even though the keyboard is three times the size of my old flip phone, I cannot fathom the mind of the person who thought people would want to update their fb status from a phone or send an email from a phone. I don't care much for this integration -- at least, not until I learned I could upload my workout to google drive and then access and edit that same workout via the smartphone (with an app for the editing). That kind of integration I can deal with.

As for Windows 8, or really, any new operating system... I know why Microsoft creates newer versions - they want more revenue. But, I really dislike upgrading to an OS that has a different look and feel. And Windows 8 does indeed look and feel different. I'm waiting for 9..and maybe even 10 before I upgrade. I'm not a big fan of change, it seems.
Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese

Heliopause

• Underling
« Reply #1379 on: September 07, 2014, 02:35:28 AM »

I'd hang out in Atlas and give all the noobs Inertial Reduction and they'd be like, holy shit what just happend!