Author Topic: And the mask comes off.  (Read 1748868 times)

Azrael

• Elite Boss
Re: And the mask comes off.
« Reply #1020 on: September 04, 2014, 08:03:28 PM »
As for Skyway.  Leave it alone.  Though it was infuriating without travel powers... :P  I had a bit of fun there on the way up to L22 and SOs...  The Lost, Clocks etc always gave me a hard time.  But russian roulette on street sweeps...  *eye twitches.

It's like the Hollows or Perez.  It has it's own charm.  All the zones in vanilla CoH did.

I was so fond of the original zones I didn't like them being revamped in a way.

The worst revamp being the patronising Hollows revamp.  It was better before.  Even better when Tanks could pull half the map... :D

Azrael.

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1021 on: September 04, 2014, 08:06:25 PM »
You see these are the things we need to pool and link to - all the software and engines used so we have a standard version and can freely work back and forth.

Might I suggest a brief conversation with some MWM folks. I bet they have a lot of that kind of thing already pooled.
Cogito, Ergo... eh?

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1022 on: September 04, 2014, 08:19:13 PM »
Heh, I probably see it a bit clearer than many because I'm a programmer by trade, have been for over 20 years.  I don't write games, but I DO write huge, complicated application software.  Right now we're working on porting all our legacy VB6 code over to C#.  This is going to take us at LEAST 2 years, just to get back to the current status quo...  And this is just a sales/invoicing/production system...

I feel your pain FFM.

That's the kind of thing that always drove me crazy. Does the VB6 code still work correctly? Does it need things that can only be written in C#?

I only spent a year as a code monkey but about 12 doing all the surrounding support. Everything from Configman to Sys Admin to Application Manager and support.
Cogito, Ergo... eh?

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1023 on: September 04, 2014, 08:24:35 PM »
Might I suggest a brief conversation with some MWM folks. I bet they have a lot of that kind of thing already pooled.

The Irish Girl/Atlas Revival project getting more prominence and even an official seal of approval for an Unreal Engine Port is a terrific example of what Iron Wolf was getting at regarding a communal aspect to CoH development.

Sure.  Such things need co-ordinating.

However, you look at Unreal Engine 4 and the licensing options and the accessible pricing...and the Revival project is ripe to test the accessible model with community based development.  And what better community than the CoH?

...the time is ripe for Iron Wolf's vision provided the CoH deal can be officially stamped with the 'unmasked' developer team.

The patient nature of dealing with a Korean culture/business makes perfect sense now.

Posts from Iron Wolf and Codewalker have intimated these cultural differences before.

But it's clear we're going to have to be even more patient.  Maybe even months or even another half a year.  Be nice to have an announcement by the 2nd anniversary though!

Getting an official seal of approval to license the engine and sub-license the IP to APR and others sounds like an inspirational idea.  It lays the gauntlet down to the CoH community at least as far as a 1.5 CoH port to Unreal 4 goes.

Me?  I'm happy playing Issue 23 for ten more years. :D

It's not a 'no' yet.  And 'Unmasked' seem to be doing everything in their powers to understand NC Soft's business culture.  It's a delicate matter of honour.

The intimation is that we know a lot more about why the original bid failed and will know even more if this one fails.

But it hasn't so far...

Azrael.

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1024 on: September 04, 2014, 08:24:42 PM »
Personally, I think the original CoH base system is one thing you should NOT try to replicate. It was ugly as sin and made it a right chore to get anything decent looking.

You can do better, loads better. :p  Personally.. I kinda like how they do it in DCUO.  Just a collection of big empty rooms you can decorate how you like. Just don't gate the furnishings behind drops and let the users buy additional rooms to add on to it (including multiple levels).

I still want my little bookstore that you have to go and move a particular statue and book in order to open up the base. :)
Cogito, Ergo... eh?

AlienOne

• HumanZero
  • Elite Boss
  • Resident Kheldian
« Reply #1025 on: September 04, 2014, 08:33:22 PM »
I still want my little bookstore that you have to go and move a particular statue and book in order to open up the base. :)

If I had anything to do with it (which I don't), and improvements to base building were ok, I think it would be in order to create possibilities for people to make secret entrances, hidden passageways, and other cool things that are certainly part of superhero lore. That's what a lair is all about, right? :P
"What COH did was to show [developers of other] MMOs what they could be like if they gave up on controlling everything in the game, and just made it something great to play."  - Johnny Joy Bringer

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1026 on: September 04, 2014, 08:34:05 PM »
I don't like any of the movie Captain America outfits.  They all sucked.  The one they patronised in the Cap PR black and white war propaganda promo from the 1st film I liked best.

'Realistic.'  Pfft.

Azrael.

Cobra Man

• Boss
« Reply #1027 on: September 04, 2014, 08:43:37 PM »
Deleted.

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #1028 on: September 04, 2014, 08:44:18 PM »
I feel your pain FFM.

That's the kind of thing that always drove me crazy. Does the VB6 code still work correctly? Does it need things that can only be written in C#?

I only spent a year as a code monkey but about 12 doing all the surrounding support. Everything from Configman to Sys Admin to Application Manager and support.

oh, it works... But our main client is in the throws of moving to Windows 8, and though the apps themselves work fine in that, the IDE is another matter entirely...

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1029 on: September 04, 2014, 08:44:53 PM »
These youngsters, unfortunately not many games are written in the COBOL and FORTRAN that I did most of my programming in :)

http://academic.microfocus.com/code/index.asp
Cogito, Ergo... eh?

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1030 on: September 04, 2014, 08:53:07 PM »
As for Skyway.  Leave it alone.  Though it was infuriating without travel powers... :P  I had a bit of fun there on the way up to L22 and SOs...  The Lost, Clocks etc always gave me a hard time.  But russian roulette on street sweeps...  *eye twitches.

It's like the Hollows or Perez.  It has it's own charm.  All the zones in vanilla CoH did.

I was so fond of the original zones I didn't like them being revamped in a way.

The worst revamp being the patronising Hollows revamp.  It was better before.  Even better when Tanks could pull half the map... :D

Azrael.

My main suggestions for zones is to make sure that Super Speed can be used effectively in all of them as a travel power, or else give super speed vertical movement capability
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #1031 on: September 04, 2014, 08:55:38 PM »
Probably a bit early to be asking for major changes to the game.

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1032 on: September 04, 2014, 08:59:53 PM »
oh, it works... But our main client is in the throws of moving to Windows 8, and though the apps themselves work fine in that, the IDE is another matter entirely...

Moving to Windows 8? No more discussion needed. Just take their money, shake your head and do some work.

Personally, I think most business systems should be functional on Unix/Linux based OSs.

Hmmm, work systems that are on a stable environment so we don't need to upgrade every other year? That can run for months at a time without having to reboot? That don't suffer the same security issues that make script kiddies so happy (I know, there are other problems though)?
That couldn't possibly work.
Cogito, Ergo... eh?

Harpospoke

• New Efforts # 4,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #1033 on: September 04, 2014, 09:03:54 PM »
We could have PvE raids too, where you have to defend the base you built from waves of enemies! That way, even the lonely 1 person SGs could get in on the fun)
Very cool idea!

felix

• Underling
« Reply #1034 on: September 04, 2014, 09:06:43 PM »
I look at games, particularly MMOs, and I see ... a need to improve math programs in the US education system.

This, a thousand times, this.

Giffen

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #1035 on: September 04, 2014, 09:38:53 PM »
(as an additional note, why just have PvP raids? We could have PvE raids too, where you have to defend the base you built from waves of enemies! That way, even the lonely 1 person SGs could get in on the fun)

Back when bases and base raids were still new, I made a suggestion to the devs that today I would describe as "make base raids like a tower defense mini-game where one player makes the base and adversary players create teams of PvE enemies that they can send against the base" (back then I think I described it more in terms of gladiator-style PvP arena crossed with base raid).

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #1036 on: September 04, 2014, 09:46:28 PM »
To me, it seems like if anyone wanted raidable bases, the multiple floors idea would help quite a bit with that concept. Of course I greatly prefer the flexibility bases got when you no longer had to follow raid rules, but being able to have a floor designated as such could be a neat idea for those who want that variety of gameplay :)

I know this is a bit of a "distant future" thing, but it occurred to me so, sharin'!
Woo! - Argent Girl

MM3squints

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1037 on: September 04, 2014, 09:48:29 PM »
Back when bases and base raids were still new, I made a suggestion to the devs that today I would describe as "make base raids like a tower defense mini-game where one player makes the base and adversary players create teams of PvE enemies that they can send against the base" (back then I think I described it more in terms of gladiator-style PvP arena crossed with base raid).

So like a Moab (DoTA, LoL, Infinite Crisis, etc) type of deal but instead of picking your heroes, you pick make them? :O I don't know if that is what your are getting at, but that would be fun :P

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #1038 on: September 04, 2014, 09:53:10 PM »
So like a Moab (DoTA, LoL, Infinite Crisis, etc) type of deal but instead of picking your heroes, you pick make them? :O I don't know if that is what your are getting at, but that would be fun :P

Just so someone less polite doesnt correct you - the abbreviation is MOBA (for Mutiplayer Online Battle Arena iirc).

But I do like how Moab sounds so I might call them that for awhile on purpose :D
Woo! - Argent Girl

hejtmane

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1039 on: September 04, 2014, 09:53:21 PM »
Moving to Windows 8? No more discussion needed. Just take their money, shake your head and do some work.

Personally, I think most business systems should be functional on Unix/Linux based OSs.

Hmmm, work systems that are on a stable environment so we don't need to upgrade every other year? That can run for months at a time without having to reboot? That don't suffer the same security issues that make script kiddies so happy (I know, there are other problems though)?
That couldn't possibly work.

First thing finding Linux Admins and then and the stupidity of the general population sorry; I just see it way to often as easy as Windows is to use the general user base is dumber than a stump