Author Topic: And the mask comes off.  (Read 1741334 times)

Surelle

Re: And the mask comes off.
« Reply #920 on: September 04, 2014, 02:02:46 PM »
From someone who plays EQ2...trust me, it's not as awesome as you expect. Occasionally kinda cool, like the Sarnak newbie quests, but more often annoying, glitchy, and repetitive.

I'm on Freeport and Nagafen!   ;D  And yeah, you think voiceovers are bad there, try Elder Scrolls Online.  Zenimax actually got rid of some of them-- including this long-winded banker girl that would give you a five-minute spiel every single time you tried to put something into or withdraw something out of the bank.  OY.  Personally I think voiceovers are the least of our worries, and get annoying and repetitive fast.  At least you can blindly click through the banker chat in a chat window-based NPC chat MMO.

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #921 on: September 04, 2014, 02:03:08 PM »
I kind of like the whole "Volume 2, Issue 1" thing. I've wondered.. Would Revival's first issue be...Issue 1? or Issue 24?
and either way, isn't that a little confusing?

I think the "Volume, Issue 1" is an excellent idea, actually! So Revival's first release would be exactly that! 

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #922 on: September 04, 2014, 02:03:24 PM »
I'm just hoping that, if this deal works out, We can finally see what Battalion was going to look like!

Posi talked briefly about how they're basically a giant swarm of random alien races, slaved into the army.
So. I guess, picture any mostly-humanoid, bi-pedal alien wearing kick-ass space body armor. Bam. Battalion.
"Let's get dangerous..."
Lead Developer and Master of Mischief - Revival Project.
Revival website: APR.Pc-Logix.com

SemanticAntics

• Minion
  • Formerly "AllYourBase"
« Reply #923 on: September 04, 2014, 02:04:00 PM »
Ok, so...by special request. New pictures of REALLY unpolished stuff.
Warning: Seriously under construction.
Images will be hidden under spoiler tags, so Agge doesn't smack me with her mod hat.

Spoiler for Hidden:

Spoiler for Hidden:
The plaza of Steel Canyon's University.

Spoiler for Hidden:
The first shot of Independence Port.
In this picture, you might be able to see the hintings of one of my favorite changes that I'm making.
If you're flying along, and you look out past the War Walls...You can see the rest of Paragon City in the distance.

Spoiler for Hidden:
Another shot of I.P. a tad closer to the bridge.

Spoiler for Hidden:
I have no idea where this is. I think it's from a different game. /sarcasm

Spoiler for Hidden:
This picture...is Paragon City from above. It should have the War Walls for just about all of the cities zones. Only Atlas Park, Independance Port, and Founders Falls have any of the zone detail showing in this image however.

Those look incredible! Very exciting.

I will warn you, however. Something nobody thought to tell me when I got into learning Game creation. Get into it far enough, and you'll never look at games the same way. You start to look at how you think things were built, and how you might build them better/differently. Seriously, I look at games and I like...see Wireframes and scripts, lol.

I have found this to be true with most any form of production. I've done a little bit of coding, web design, audio production, and video production over the years and I find that very often while using/listening/watching some piece of content I often wonder how it was made, and how I would do it if I had to re-create it.

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #924 on: September 04, 2014, 02:04:44 PM »
I'm on Freeport and Nagafen!   ;D  And yeah, you think voiceovers are bad there, try Elder Scrolls Online.  Zenimax actually got rid of some of them-- including this long-winded banker girl that would give you a five-minute spiel every single time you tried to put something into or withdraw something out of the bank.  OY.  Personally I think voiceovers are the least of our worries, and get annoying and repetitive fast.  At least you can blindly click through the banker chat in a chat window-based NPC chat MMO.

For me, voice overs are great for cut scenes, but forget it for anywhere else... They just get annoying after a bit.

AlienOne

• HumanZero
  • Elite Boss
  • Resident Kheldian
« Reply #925 on: September 04, 2014, 02:08:41 PM »
I will warn you, however. Something nobody thought to tell me when I got into learning Game creation. Get into it far enough, and you'll never look at games the same way. You start to look at how you think things were built, and how you might build them better/differently. Seriously, I look at games and I like...see Wireframes and scripts, lol.

I'm the same way with films after getting my degree and experience in it... My fiance sees a scene and is thinking about the plotline, and I see a scene and I'm thinking about angles and lights and lines and markers and green screen...lol

There are always positives and negatives to becoming an expert in something... ;)
"What COH did was to show [developers of other] MMOs what they could be like if they gave up on controlling everything in the game, and just made it something great to play."  - Johnny Joy Bringer

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #926 on: September 04, 2014, 02:09:36 PM »
That's why Codewalker is the only player I fear.  He likes it.  That's Cthulhu kinds of wrong.

I am going to print this out and frame it.

KennonGL

• Boss
« Reply #927 on: September 04, 2014, 02:10:48 PM »

Kind of like Neo at the end of The Matrix . . .  :)

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #928 on: September 04, 2014, 02:11:30 PM »
On the subject of voice work... I'm not currently planning on adding Voice work to Revival. That's not to say it's never going to happen, ever. But if it did...It would be around like...the 4th or 5th issue at the earliest.

...I'd have to spend at least that long finding the right voices for the characters.
"Let's get dangerous..."

tripthicket

• Lieutenant
« Reply #929 on: September 04, 2014, 02:20:35 PM »
On the topic of folks downloading/learning/using Unreal Engine 4:

Should one have any prerequisite knowledge? Know how to program in one or more languages first? Would a program like Blender make constructs that would then plug in to Unreal Engine 4, or is the capability of making such constructs already a part of UE4?

Looks like I gots some research to do. TO THE INTERNET-MOBILE!!

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #930 on: September 04, 2014, 02:25:00 PM »
On the topic of folks downloading/learning/using Unreal Engine 4:

Should one have any prerequisite knowledge? Know how to program in one or more languages first? Would a program like Blender make constructs that would then plug in to Unreal Engine 4, or is the capability of making such constructs already a part of UE4?

Looks like I gots some research to do. TO THE INTERNET-MOBILE!!

Assets like models, and textures have to be built in 3rd party programs such as 3DS Max, and Photoshop. Blender's a good free alternative to Max. I don't use it myself, but I've seen good things built with it. Really, you can use any 3D modeling program that can export in .FBX.
As for textures... I use GIMP. It's fairly robust, and I no longer have a copy of Photoshop. While there are certainly things Photoshop can do that GIMP can't...I've found them to be pretty irrelevant.
"Let's get dangerous..."

tripthicket

• Lieutenant
« Reply #931 on: September 04, 2014, 02:32:26 PM »
Assets like models, and textures have to be built in 3rd party programs such as 3DS Max, and Photoshop. Blender's a good free alternative to Max. I don't use it myself, but I've seen good things built with it. Really, you can use any 3D modeling program that can export in .FBX.
As for textures... I use GIMP. It's fairly robust, and I no longer have a copy of Photoshop. While there are certainly things Photoshop can do that GIMP can't...I've found them to be pretty irrelevant.

Good to know. I have a subscription to Adobe's Creative Cloud, so access to lots of programs there. Will try noodling around in Blender first, perhaps.

feculenz

• Underling
« Reply #932 on: September 04, 2014, 02:35:09 PM »
Stunned and amazed at the grace and subtlety involved.  Thank you for being discrete and patient.  And good luck with the entire project.  It feels to me that we will be back and the idea of COH 1.5 is not a terrible one at all. WE all just want to fly again.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #933 on: September 04, 2014, 02:36:30 PM »
There are a LOT of Youtube videos on programming in UR4. I am hoping once APR gets up and going with it's own site we can pool the experience that Irishgirl has learned to do the maps.

Understand there is a LOT of work to do beyond maps.

Character creator - I am going to see if I can make an Icon port basically to render all the models and existing costume parts - this alone is a LOT of work. Codewalker used a program to map to existing assets - we have to create the assets and the Creator.

Styrj

• Boss
« Reply #934 on: September 04, 2014, 02:37:02 PM »
Irish_Girl:  Will APR have any type of Beta test schedule planed?  For what its worth, you got my support!
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!  Infinity Server...

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #935 on: September 04, 2014, 02:38:27 PM »

You see these are the things we need to pool and link to - all the software and engines used so we have a standard version and can freely work back and forth.

Scendera

• Boss
  • Faith Manages.
« Reply #936 on: September 04, 2014, 02:42:29 PM »
Personally, If people want to learn Unreal Engine 4...Go and buy it. Drop 20 bucks, then cancel your sub. I encourage people learning this stuff. It's a lot of fun, and you learn a lot about how/why certain things are they way they are in games.

That was my thought.

As mentioned before, I'm part of a small (2 person) studio that had 2 separate projects going. The other person bought a license for her project, but at the time I figured since I'd be scoring it, and working on my own project under a different toolkit as well, I wouldn't bother because it was just extra expense and wasted time on something I'm tenuous on at best. But between the fact it COULD be useful to have a second set of hands and eyes, and a second brain working on problems, AND maybe potentially help for this? I just might.

It's cheap enough not to be a big deal if I buy it and just can't grok.

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #937 on: September 04, 2014, 03:06:27 PM »
Irish_Girl:  Will APR have any type of Beta test schedule planed?  For what its worth, you got my support!

The support is appreciated! Unfortunately, I couldn't even hazard as a guess at a release schedule yet.
I think I can pretty comfortably say it would prolly be before 2020. Yeah... Almost definitely before 2020.
"Let's get dangerous..."

ooglymoogly

• Underling
« Reply #938 on: September 04, 2014, 03:07:32 PM »

any thought of putting together a kickstarter, or similar effort, to raise money for this project? seems a rather prodigious amount of work and some additional assistance with tools, people, project management, etc would likely help.

Between MWM, H&V, APR, Valiance, and CoH revival/binary, this group has almost created the game version of marvel's movie universe...

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #939 on: September 04, 2014, 03:07:59 PM »
You see these are the things we need to pool and link to - all the software and engines used so we have a standard version and can freely work back and forth.

APR's site is in some serious dis-repair atm. I'll be seeing about dealing with that first thing after the move.
"Let's get dangerous..."