Author Topic: Captain America: The Winter Soldier  (Read 11994 times)

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
« on: April 04, 2014, 08:53:12 AM »
I like the film.  Very Three Days of the Condor feel to it.

I liked the name dropping of other Marvel characters including Steven Strange.

Going to need to freeze frame some screens when the DVD comes out to see if any other interesting names are dropped.  Went by pretty quick.

The crossover to Agents of SHIELD will be interesting at the very least.

Really didn't expect the extent of the "Twist".

Nice lease Nick.

Interesting new vocations for some key players.

Glow Stick of Destiny.

The "Twins".

Two after scenes.  First after the fancy credits, second after the main credits.

Of course last trailer shown was Ooga Chaka, Ooga Chaka.

I miss when the midnight (near midnight) screenings had the true hard core fans.  My 11:45 showing didn't seem as much fan based, more college rowdy based.  But I did see a lot of fans exiting out of the 8 to 8:30 showing.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
Re: Captain America: The Winter Soldier
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 09:48:21 PM »
Yes, I'm wondering what the fallout to Agents of Shield will be.

Spoiler for Hidden:
It's too bad about Jasper. The comic book character was one of my favorite SHIELD agents. Sort of Sheldon Cooper as a SHIELD Agent.

TriNitroToluene

• Minion
  • Triumph Server....the few, the proud, the pantless
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 12:43:59 AM »
All I can say is daaaaaaaammmmmmnnnnnnn.  That was a hell of a ride.  I cannot wait to see what they do with the next installment. 

I had high hopes from the trailers I'd seen and I was not disappointed in the least.  This movie kicked butt all over the place.

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 08:09:23 PM »
loved it, though did not get to stay for the post-scripts. This is what Man of Steel should have been. Although.. I'm wondering if just maaaaaaaybe GM might have had a few pennies in sponsoring the movie? 8) But I'll tell you what, Scarlet Johansen can roll up to me in a black stingray and call me a fossil any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Though I was surprised they did not do a bit more with the neighbor character than they did... but I guess at 2 plus hours already, it was pushing the bladder-threshhold just a bit
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

Cinnder

• Boss
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2014, 11:31:21 PM »
Yep, this definitely made up for Thor 2 -- and then some!

Interesting to see one of the solo films take such a central and critical place in the overall plot.  Seemed much closer to the "core," as Avengers was -- i.e. seems like if one missed this film, then much confusion would reign when viewing Avengers 2.

Magus Prime

• Boss
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 01:59:28 AM »
Loved this movie.  The first one was meh but this sequel didn't let me down one iota.  The fight choreography, the story, and dialog all came together nicely. A top notch effort.  Definitely worth a view in the theater.

Arnabas

• Minion
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2014, 03:56:59 AM »
Loved it. Note I'm really intrigued for what they'll do on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

I hope this leads to a Nick Fury movie before SLJ's contract is up. My only complaint is that I wish they would have hired a cameraman who didn't have epilepsy.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2014, 07:22:47 AM »
loved it, though did not get to stay for the post-scripts. This is what Man of Steel should have been. Although.. I'm wondering if just maaaaaaaybe GM might have had a few pennies in sponsoring the movie? 8) But I'll tell you what, Scarlet Johansen can roll up to me in a black stingray and call me a fossil any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Though I was surprised they did not do a bit more with the neighbor character than they did... but I guess at 2 plus hours already, it was pushing the bladder-threshhold just a bit

First stinger (didn't know that's what they're called until recently) we will see a form of in Avengers 2.  Second stinger is brief and likely ties in with Cap Am 3.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2014, 06:58:03 PM »
I hate Winter Soldier... the character.  This was a good movie overall, though.  Mostly great fights and action - there were a couple of close-in shots of hand to hand that would have benefitted from a steady camera rather than a camera-in-an-earthquake.  Loved seeing the "classic" outfit back in action.

In the after-credits we get the worst Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch...
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Magus Prime

• Boss
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2014, 08:25:19 PM »
In the after-credits we get the worst Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch...

Then Bryan Singer happened:

Peacemaker

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2014, 08:40:19 PM »
I loved this movie.  I am a huge winter soldier fan and loved the brubaker run on the comic.  I enjoyed the first film but I felt The way Bucky was killed off felt rushed.  Glad they brought him back in cap 2 and looking forward to cap 3 with hope of a winter soldier movie.

TriNitroToluene

• Minion
  • Triumph Server....the few, the proud, the pantless
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2014, 12:28:00 AM »
One additional thought on the movie.  I think this was Stan Lee's finest cameo so far.  Followed up by those in Cap #1 and Avengers.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2014, 04:51:05 AM »
At least the Bryan Singer one half-assed a bit of silver into the hair.  That's a small step above the one in Captain America.

And what the heck was up with fat Gary Shandling?  That seemed like a very random cameo. 
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2014, 07:47:15 AM »
Using the good old senator was a way to go back in time and link in an older Marvel property, (IM2) so it doesn't seem like the movies are just randomly forgotten after a year or two or done in a lockstep progression but are more organic like the comics with different interlevings. More random, why were Greg Kineer and the goober from community there as technicians?

I still don't like Colbie Smulders as Agent Hill. She has none of the punch or gravitas I expect of Nick Fury's right-hand woman... and every time I see her in these movies I am yanked violently out of the marvel movie-verse and into a episode of "How I met your Agent." Hopefully her new job will see her shipped off to some obscure PR gig in Malaysia or something and we don't have to see her again.

And yeah, I loved Stan the Man... I remarked to my dad after we left the theater "We should all be so lucky to be able to do what we love at that age"
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2014, 10:07:02 AM »
Heh, I don't remember Shandling in Iron Man 2.  Must not have made an impression then.

And I don't know who Greg Kineer is off hand, nor have I watched The Community (indeed I'm only barely aware enough of it to recognize it as a title without capitalization rather than ask " which community?")...

But I gotta agree about Maria Hill.  As much as I like the actress, she seems to innately come across as lighthearted and fun.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2014, 12:23:49 PM »
Heh, I don't remember Shandling in Iron Man 2.  Must not have made an impression then.
A quick jog of the memory at 1:10 in the Iron Man 2 Trailer
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Magus Prime

• Boss
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2014, 08:33:34 PM »
At least the Bryan Singer one half-assed a bit of silver into the hair.

I had faith that his silver mane would be written in later.  ;)

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2014, 08:12:48 AM »
But I gotta agree about Maria Hill.  As much as I like the actress, she seems to innately come across as lighthearted and fun.
Myself personally I thought she came across as an extremely loyal and competent right hand to Fury in Avengers.  I don't think she had enough to do in Winter Soldier to get any strong vibe off of her except as a background character.

And to be honest Clark Gregg came across as light and fun initially, and gained gravitas for me in Avengers.

Beyond that, I think Winter Soldier is definitely the strongest Phase Two movie so far.  I liked Iron Man 3, I think Dark World was weaker but passable.  I think Winter Soldier is definitely the best so far.

Honestly, Avengers 2 is shaping up to be great, Amazing Spiderman looks great so far, Days of Future Past looks killer, and even Ooga Chaka Ooga Ooga Chaka looks like it could be a fun ride.  This is my thirteen year old self's cinematic fantasy: when they name dropped
Spoiler for Hidden:
Stephen Strange
in Winter Soldier my brain pumped out enough endorphins to make my fingernails hum.

CG

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2014, 08:08:54 PM »
My dad made an interesting observation about the movie; he said Steve was the only person in the movie who didn't kill anyone.  He certainly injured some people pretty badly, but I couldn't remember an instance where he actually killed anyone.

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2014, 09:44:00 PM »
technically true... but you could argue that his plan to bring down the Insight-class helicarriers lead directly to the deaths of their crews on board. not to mention anyone on the ground in the immediate area around the Triskelion.

still, it is worth pondering, that observation.
-Lex Luthor