Author Topic: Captain America: The Winter Soldier  (Read 12009 times)

Harpospoke

• New Efforts # 4,000!
  • Elite Boss
Re: Captain America: The Winter Soldier
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2014, 07:48:19 AM »
This one blindsided me.   I had very little desire to see it after Cap 1....which I thought was "meh".

Then I watch Cap 2 and now it's my favorite Marvel movie!  (yep...edging out even Avengers for me)

Christ....I'm so obsessed with it.   I saw it 4 times in theaters and might do a dollar theater viewing as well.   I only saw Avengers 3 times...usually my limit no matter how much a love a movie.

This movie is so good it made me hate Spidey 2....and Spidey is my favorite character!

My dad made an interesting observation about the movie; he said Steve was the only person in the movie who didn't kill anyone.  He certainly injured some people pretty badly, but I couldn't remember an instance where he actually killed anyone.
I dunno about that.   I'm betting that guy he kicked off the ship in the middle of the night had a tough go of it.   ;D   I'll bet there are more examples as well.   Cap didn't mess around in this movie!

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2014, 11:06:48 AM »
Spidey 2 can make you hate Spidey 2 all on it's own merit.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Harpospoke

• New Efforts # 4,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2014, 06:26:00 PM »
;D

Yeah....Rhino....   :o

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2014, 06:02:29 AM »
Dunno where the hate comes from for AmSpid2; its not as strong as Cap2 by any means, but even with its flaws I thought it was a pretty good movie.  It was a bit more "comic-booky" with things like its 70s X-Ray spectacles-like Science (magnetized web shooters can absorb lightning bolts!), but I liked this characterization of Spiderman better than the Toby Maguire version that I thought was just a little too depressing.  This Spiderman helps kids displays over-the-top bravado towards run of the mill criminals and actually tries to talk down villains rather than just beat them up.  To me that's a lot closer to my mental image of Spiderman than any of the other recent movies.

Cinematically speaking, the plot was a bit jumbled and the Rhino teaser messed with some people's heads (I was ok with it), but I found those to be forgivable glitches.

Cinnder

• Boss
« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2014, 02:53:36 PM »

Actually LOL -- well said!

I thought they started this reboot off with some promise (like correcting the web shooters), and then...this....

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2014, 04:30:22 PM »
Actually LOL -- well said!

I thought they started this reboot off with some promise (like correcting the web shooters), and then...this....
Actually no, they started off this reboot because toby and kirsten refused to come back for Spiderman 4 but Sony was going to lose the license back to Marvel if they didn't put a movie out.
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

Lightslinger

• Elite Boss
  • @Lightslinger, Virtue
« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2014, 01:24:39 PM »
Actually no, they started off this reboot because toby and kirsten refused to come back for Spiderman 4 but Sony was going to lose the license back to Marvel if they didn't put a movie out.

Nope, Sony and everyone else were so disappointed in Raimi, Toby & Kirsten they moved on, Spiderman 3 was that bad. I think Toby and Kirsten and everyone involved was ready to move on, more than happy to actually, so there is that, but the studio was absolutely ready for a new cast and creative team after that debacle. The reboot happened fast to keep the rights, but also because it's one of Sony's biggest cinematic assets, Spiderman prints money for Sony, so they're going to keep making them.

CG

• Elite Boss
« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2014, 04:41:04 PM »
I just wish they would stop re-telling the origin...  Just pick one: regular or Ultimate and make movies.  :-\

Lightslinger

• Elite Boss
  • @Lightslinger, Virtue
« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2014, 05:28:39 PM »
I just wish they would stop re-telling the origin...  Just pick one: regular or Ultimate and make movies.  :-\

Agreed, established cinematic superheroes, ie: any of the Avengers, Superman, Batman, Spiderman, no longer need origin stories, even in the face of a total recasting, just get a story and move on. Everyone is over origin stories.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #49 on: May 15, 2014, 05:53:38 AM »
Agreed, established cinematic superheroes, ie: any of the Avengers, Superman, Batman, Spiderman, no longer need origin stories, even in the face of a total recasting, just get a story and move on. Everyone is over origin stories.
Dunno: Batman already had an origin story done before Nolan came around, but Nolan's story doesn't work except with its origin telling specifically.  I think repeating what other people have already done carries risks, the biggest of which is that its not enough to just be different, you have to somehow exceed what has been done in the past to not be a mere rehash.  But I think all rules have exceptions, and the exception is that if you tell it right, retelling the origin story can have huge payoffs if its done right and done in a way integral to the future stories you tell.

Case in point, besides Nolan's Batman there's the Daniel Craig trio of Bond films, which have a certain feel similar to Nolan's Batman arc: its not just an origin story but almost the building of a myth.  I've said before that Nolan's movies aren't exactly about Batman, its about a guy named Bruce Wayne creating the Batman myth.  He has a personal story, but part of that story is that from the very beginning he intended to create this legendary figure that criminals would talk about like the boogeyman.  What we saw was a man: Nolan's Batman is actually that statue they unveil at the end of Rises: a legend that grows with each telling of the story.  In a sense, Daniel Craig isn't just a reboot, its almost the same thing: a story arc that sort of tells how a man went from being a gritty amateur to a seasoned veteran to James freaking Bond.

Most of the time, you're not going to get that kind of result, true.  But on the other hand, if you don't allow people to try, you'll never get them at all.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #50 on: May 15, 2014, 12:14:22 PM »
Yeah, but one of these days I'll get exposed to a radioactive origin story while being struck by lightning that reacts with the mixture of heavy butter and artificial sweetener I was holding and then you'll see...  you'll ALL see.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Lightslinger

• Elite Boss
  • @Lightslinger, Virtue
« Reply #51 on: May 15, 2014, 01:12:50 PM »
Dunno: Batman already had an origin story done before Nolan came around, but Nolan's story doesn't work except with its origin telling specifically.  I think repeating what other people have already done carries risks, the biggest of which is that its not enough to just be different, you have to somehow exceed what has been done in the past to not be a mere rehash.  But I think all rules have exceptions, and the exception is that if you tell it right, retelling the origin story can have huge payoffs if its done right and done in a way integral to the future stories you tell.

Case in point, besides Nolan's Batman there's the Daniel Craig trio of Bond films, which have a certain feel similar to Nolan's Batman arc: its not just an origin story but almost the building of a myth.  I've said before that Nolan's movies aren't exactly about Batman, its about a guy named Bruce Wayne creating the Batman myth.  He has a personal story, but part of that story is that from the very beginning he intended to create this legendary figure that criminals would talk about like the boogeyman.  What we saw was a man: Nolan's Batman is actually that statue they unveil at the end of Rises: a legend that grows with each telling of the story.  In a sense, Daniel Craig isn't just a reboot, its almost the same thing: a story arc that sort of tells how a man went from being a gritty amateur to a seasoned veteran to James freaking Bond.

Most of the time, you're not going to get that kind of result, true.  But on the other hand, if you don't allow people to try, you'll never get them at all.

Agreed, and the same could also be said for Amazing Spiderman and it's one of the more hated origin stories, but with AS2 we see that they are clearly going a different route with the story and wanted to involve Peter's parents in his origin, unlike Raimi's films. On one hand that's admirable, they're doing something different, on another hand we get another origin story which frustrates people. Batman Begins also happened on the precipice of this superhero genre explosion. Batman hadn't been on screen since Batman and Robin and they very, very clearly needed a complete restart after...that. At that point in cinema Batman did need an origin story, badly in fact.

You are right in that origin stories are important for setting up these characters, I just think for a lot of characters they'd be better served like Bond was all those years. Just do another story, don't reboot just because your talent and production crews change, just keep on with more great stories. It hasn't happened yet, but Marvel has hinted that's how they'll function, just recast and carry on when an actor decides to quit a role.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #52 on: May 15, 2014, 06:49:09 PM »
Yeah, but one of these days I'll get exposed to a radioactive origin story while being struck by lightning that reacts with the mixture of heavy butter and artificial sweetener I was holding and then you'll see...  you'll ALL see.

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #53 on: May 15, 2014, 09:07:21 PM »
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #54 on: May 16, 2014, 09:10:31 AM »
Hooray for Buttery Pat!
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov