Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7516869 times)

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #3020 on: July 04, 2014, 11:51:11 PM »
I remember going through the entire (old) tutorial of my trial account redside without knowing you could use the spacebar to jump.

And I thought you had to run all the way back to the start at the end.

Then like at lv 14 someone told me. The most epic D'OH Sweden has ever heard.

When I was new, CoX was my 1st MMO as well. I had no idea how to lower altitude when Hovering; I would fly over to a building, jump to a lower roof, then a lower one and so on until it was safe to jump to the ground. LOL. I was an idiot.  8)

I miss Jenkins  :-\

gypsyav

• Boss
« Reply #3021 on: July 04, 2014, 11:52:44 PM »
When I was new, CoX was my 1st MMO as well. I had no idea how to lower altitude when Hovering; I would fly over to a building, jump to a lower roof, then a lower one and so on until it was safe to jump to the ground. LOL. I was an idiot.  8)

I am SO happy I'm not the only one who did that.
Imagination is the seed of intelligence. Nourish it and watch it grow.

Mageman

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3022 on: July 05, 2014, 12:01:15 AM »
When I was new to CoH, I had no idea about slotting or what it was used for. I would add slots thinking that they would make that power more powerful without knowing I had to put something in those slots!

Near the end, I found it a waste of Inf to put TOs into slots, you just out-leveled them too fast (unless you had too much Inf to spare (unlikely) or you found a TO you wanted to put in there).

As far a IOs go, I would make the generic (SO replacement IOs) for most of my characters, but trying to figure out the best sets to get to min/max my character was also too much of a waste of time. I would just make the Inf off the auction house from the good set IOs I found, and be able to afford anything else I wanted (like Rocket Boots).
My Reality:
#1 I love my wife!
#2 I miss CoX!
#3 Refer to rule #1!
#4 I seem to have an itch!

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3023 on: July 05, 2014, 12:46:52 AM »
After a while of trying to keep my toons' enhancements up to date, I figured that IOs would be more efficient - I wouldn't have to swap them out every five levels. Then, some time later, I whittled my IO usage down to three levels: 15, 30 and 45. (I decided to stop at 45 when I realized that the level-50 recipes used twice as much influence for only about a 1-2% gain, and decided that that wasn't cost-effective for my budget.)

In about the last year or two of the game, I had a lot of enhancement tables storing IOs I'd bought ahead of time at WW's, a lot of salvage racks storing salvage for recipes, and a lot of real-life paperwork keeping track of which toon needed what IOs at what level, which recipes I already had, which recipes I needed, which recipes called for which salvage, and how many of each salvage I had. I just gave up. I sold the salvage, recipes, IOs, tables and racks, and went back to replacing DOs and SOs every five turns. They did the job nicely, and were a LOT less of a headache!

And I'd happily resume keeping track of all of that headache if that were what it took to get the game back.
Linux. Because a world without walls or fences won't need Windows or Gates.

Nitekilla

• Minion
« Reply #3024 on: July 05, 2014, 01:15:29 AM »
When I was new, somehow my new low level character ended up in Steel Canyon and I died like 10 times trying to run back to Atlas !

Ezuka

• Minion
« Reply #3025 on: July 05, 2014, 01:16:43 AM »
Seeing all of the discussions in this thread is making me smile.
Unlike many of you, I wasn't around from the beginning. I think I started during issue 11 or 12, but I actually stumbled upon City of Villains (for $7!) when I was in Big Lots. My dad had ordered me a new computer, and I jumped at the chance to play a new game on it. It's still the best gaming purchase I've ever made, hands down.

I didn't have any idea of what I was doing in the beginning, but I didn't care because I could fly!

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3026 on: July 05, 2014, 01:44:40 AM »

I didn't have any idea of what I was doing in the beginning, but I didn't care because I could fly!

This is pure awesome...

Risha

• Boss
  • Dancing at the end of the World
« Reply #3027 on: July 05, 2014, 01:50:43 AM »
I am going back and reading all the pages in this...I'm still in April :).  Anyway, you all made me want to run through my toons, and I have many costumes, but not all...but it seemed I saved screenshots.

And my toon that I worked with the most, first 50, was a mind/emp troller, and though I loved her,  I would play her solo often and she simply couldn't take out some of the AVs, esp the Praetorians, so I will have to consider what I make Risha this time.  I don't have her first costume (terrible), either.  I loved mind trollers and I love Healing...but I will need a stronger combo.  Though it looks like I'll have plenty of people to play with. :)

And I was down to needing 1 praetorian to get the badge for her and I hadn't kept track....eeek.  Good times.
Writer of Fantasy and Fantasy Romance

Goddangit

• Daisy Duke's
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3028 on: July 05, 2014, 01:56:28 AM »
hmmm... It appears badge-hunter.com is now about hair.

Golden Girl

• One Liners and Winky Faces
  • Elite Boss
    • Heroes and Villains
« Reply #3029 on: July 05, 2014, 01:57:18 AM »
hmmm... It appears badge-hunter.com is now about hair.

Animated hair?
"Heroes and Villains" website - http://www.heroes-and-villains.com
"Heroes and Villains" on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
"Heroes and Villains" on Twitter - https://twitter.com/Plan_Z_Studios
"Heroes and Villains" teaser trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnjKqNPfFv8
Artwork - http://goldengirlcoh.deviantart.com

mortal prey

• Underling
« Reply #3030 on: July 05, 2014, 02:04:54 AM »
forum lurker. I've been reading this for a while now. I really hope it gets through the finial stages and is brought back. I really miss playing this game. I can't count the number of times I've wanted to just log in and run a few missions since it closed. City was something that helped get me through a lot of tough times in my life. I'd love nothing more than to have it back. Sending positive thoughts that it'll be back soon.

Blackstar5

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3031 on: July 05, 2014, 02:18:41 AM »
I am going back and reading all the pages in this...I'm still in April :).  Anyway, you all made me want to run through my toons, and I have many costumes, but not all...but it seemed I saved screenshots.

And my toon that I worked with the most, first 50, was a mind/emp troller, and though I loved her,  I would play her solo often and she simply couldn't take out some of the AVs, esp the Praetorians, so I will have to consider what I make Risha this time.  I don't have her first costume (terrible), either.  I loved mind trollers and I love Healing...but I will need a stronger combo.  Though it looks like I'll have plenty of people to play with. :)

And I was down to needing 1 praetorian to get the badge for her and I hadn't kept track....eeek.  Good times.
have you tried mind/kin? its a very strong combo.

Without_Pause

• Minion
« Reply #3032 on: July 05, 2014, 02:47:52 AM »
have you tried mind/kin? its a very strong combo.

One of my more favorite ideas was my Mind/kin. I still wish I recorded some of his missions because there were multiple times I seriously wondered how I got out of the situations that I did.

silvers1

• Boss
« Reply #3033 on: July 05, 2014, 02:55:14 AM »
I was going back through my city of heroes files...  I still have the titan sentinel files that I exported for all of my characters. Assuming that we have to start from scratch,  is there any way to convert these to a costume file so that I don't have to recreate all of my costumes from memory?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 03:01:24 AM by silvers1 »
--- Hercules - Freedom Server ---

Samuraiko

• Honorary Paragon Dev and
  • Elite Boss
  • EVERYONE LOOK AWESOME - I'M FILMING!
    • The Wandering Crane
« Reply #3034 on: July 05, 2014, 03:02:44 AM »
Thankfully I still have all my AE arcs (including my Sound Stage), my costume files, and all the stuff I use for making vids. I'd just need to get a Mastermind from 1-50 as fast as possible so I have my own portable film crew again. :)

I admit I'd be sad if I didn't have my badges and costume parts and whatnot, but I know how to demoedit so it's not like it was back when I first started making these. It'd be a setback, but not an insurmountable one.

Michelle
aka
Samuraiko/Dark_Respite
The game may be gone, but the videos are still here...
http://www.youtube.com/samuraiko
http://cohtube.blogspot.com

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3035 on: July 05, 2014, 03:34:36 AM »
I was going back through my city of heroes files...  I still have the titan sentinel files that I exported for all of my characters. Assuming that we have to start from scratch,  is there any way to convert these to a costume file so that I don't have to recreate all of my costumes from memory?

There is actually a utility for that, yep. It's called Senticon.

http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,9637.0.html

Older costumes might have some hiccups, due to costume pieces changing categories or whatnot, but from what I've heard it's pretty good overall. Hope that helps! :D

Fanta

• New Efforts # 2,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3036 on: July 05, 2014, 04:33:55 AM »
If this goes through, I'm betting we get our characters back. If you were a former player trying to buy the IP, you know you'd have to market it to the base. I'd imagine not being able to restore those accounts would give you pause, since you will most likely be counting on those to fund you.

The new team hasn't gone into this blindly. They had the advantage of knowing about past failures. They have former devs in some capacity. Given the formers devs are present indicates they most likely have a time frame mapped out for everything, unless they have unlimited cash.

I'd be surprised if they didn't have some form of a working model somewhere.

People keep saying it will be months if it goes through, I'm not so sure. The biggest obstacle will be setting up the new community, market, and pay system. 
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 04:41:54 AM by Fanta »
I am an ass, but don't we all love a good ass!

Thirty-Seven

• Elite Boss
  • Keeper of the Sacred Number
« Reply #3037 on: July 05, 2014, 04:37:40 AM »
I wouldn't hold my breath for getting our characters back, I sincerely doubt any of our past loot will be restored... Its just far simpler all the way around that way, and the vast majority of us will play no matter what anyway.

And personally, I prefer that method.  I just hope we don't have an issue with thousands of the one word 3-color-style names getting camped and then never used.

Remaugen

• Elite Boss
  • Android Clan of One
« Reply #3038 on: July 05, 2014, 04:42:59 AM »

I did the same thing!
We're almost there!  ;D

The RNG hates me.

Thirty-Seven

• Elite Boss
  • Keeper of the Sacred Number
« Reply #3039 on: July 05, 2014, 04:46:53 AM »
I spent like half an hour trying to figure out how to save my game before I logged out for the first time!