Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7524353 times)

Tubbius

• Fun Title
  • Elite Boss
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #2980 on: July 04, 2014, 06:57:03 PM »
10  Get game back
20  goto 10
30  REM I don't mind the idea of starting over to throw money at our new overlords to get my account up to speed.  Could sell it back along with a special lifetime subscription fee.
40  REM Gimme the "reanimated" badge to show my support through it all.  Maybe with some temp power like 100% bonus to rech and unlimited end for 60 sec up every 30 min until lvl22
50  REM Just saying would love to have i23 back with all my stuff with 24 being polished, but whatever gets game first wins.
RUN

I remember having to learn BASIC.  :)

Thirty-Seven

• Elite Boss
  • Keeper of the Sacred Number
« Reply #2981 on: July 04, 2014, 06:59:30 PM »
Selling calendars sucks.. did that as a boy scout.. Girl Scouts got cookies.. Cookies rocked..
I sold yummy popcorn as a Scout.

Thirty-Seven

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2982 on: July 04, 2014, 07:08:35 PM »
30  REM I don't mind the idea of starting over to throw money at our new overlords to get my account up to speed.  Could sell it back along with a special lifetime subscription fee.
40  REM Gimme the "reanimated" badge to show my support through it all.  Maybe with some temp power like 100% bonus to rech and unlimited end for 60 sec up every 30 min until lvl22
Yeah, no.  There should NEVER be a badge associated with a real money purchase.  I'm about as steadfast against that as I can be.

(Or for that matter a temp power of that magnitude.  Talk about defiling CoH's memory...)

Golden Girl

• One Liners and Winky Faces
  • Elite Boss
    • Heroes and Villains
« Reply #2983 on: July 04, 2014, 07:12:28 PM »
Yeah, no.  There should NEVER be a badge associated with a real money purchase.  I'm about as steadfast against that as I can be.

(Or for that matter a temp power of that magnitude.  Talk about defiling CoH's memory...)

If the buyers are genuine CoH fans, they'd never even consider doing that.
"Heroes and Villains" website - http://www.heroes-and-villains.com
"Heroes and Villains" on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
"Heroes and Villains" on Twitter - https://twitter.com/Plan_Z_Studios
"Heroes and Villains" teaser trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnjKqNPfFv8
Artwork - http://goldengirlcoh.deviantart.com

Spadra

• Underling
« Reply #2984 on: July 04, 2014, 07:13:59 PM »
So I just told my life long friend and former SG teammate about the updates and progress we have been seeing here and his response was the same as mine...

"So they thought they had it closed by it was actually in the final negotiating stage?"
"Yes, if things don't fall apart they are looking within that projected timeline of end of August."
"That... Is AMAZING. A day, a week, a month who cares! It might actually come back. This is amazing but wait, account information?"
"It's being discussed heavily on the thread if you want read but I personally doubt it. I'm anticipating we would need to reroll characters if we want them back."
"Oh... So I would have relive the fun of FrostFire runs and so forth and fall in love with the game all over again to get my lvl 50s back? That is the best Losing scenario I have ever heard!"

Needless to say I full agree with my friend's outlook and regardless of when the game would go live after a completion of a successful purchase the Forever Men and G.U.A.R.D.E.S. will be looking forward to fighting along side all you heroes.

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2985 on: July 04, 2014, 07:15:10 PM »
Divorce him.

While he has many sterling qualities, he is a foolish non-gamer. He does not understand, no not one bit.

That's ok. I will re-DL a copy of the game onto his computer for easy access, just like I did back in the day.  8)

Goddangit

• Daisy Duke's
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2986 on: July 04, 2014, 07:18:07 PM »
10  Get game back
20  goto 10
50  REM Just saying would love to have i23 back with all my stuff with 24 being polished, but whatever gets game first wins.
RUN

I'm glad I'm not the only dinosaur here.   8)

Mageman

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2987 on: July 04, 2014, 07:18:19 PM »
10  Get game back
20  goto 10
RUN
Shouldn't it be more like:
10  Get game back from NC Soft
12 Get at least 1 server online
14 Create Character
16 Play Game
18  If bored with character THEN GOTO 14
20 GOTO 16
RUN

P.S. I think the Reanimated badge should be given to those characters created within 3 months of getting CoX back online. It shouldn't be a "purchase" badge.

Just my 2₵
My Reality:
#1 I love my wife!
#2 I miss CoX!
#3 Refer to rule #1!
#4 I seem to have an itch!

Thirty-Seven

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2988 on: July 04, 2014, 07:19:49 PM »
"Oh... So I would have relive the fun of FrostFire runs and so forth and fall in love with the game all over again to get my lvl 50s back? That is the best Losing scenario I have ever heard!"
I like how he thinks.

Golden Girl

• Elite Boss
    • Heroes and Villains
« Reply #2989 on: July 04, 2014, 07:21:28 PM »
So I just told my life long friend and former SG teammate about the updates and progress we have been seeing here and his response was the same as mine...

"So they thought they had it closed by it was actually in the final negotiating stage?"
"Yes, if things don't fall apart they are looking within that projected timeline of end of August."
"That... Is AMAZING. A day, a week, a month who cares! It might actually come back. This is amazing but wait, account information?"
"It's being discussed heavily on the thread if you want read but I personally doubt it. I'm anticipating we would need to reroll characters if we want them back."

Needless to say I full agree with my friend's outlook and regardless of when the game would go live after a completion of a successful purchase the Forever Men and G.U.A.R.D.E.S. will be looking forward to fighting along side all you heroes.

Word of mouth is going to be important for helping to get as many people back as possible - quite a few players weren't gamers, and only played CoH, so that means they could easily miss news of a restart.
"Heroes and Villains" on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
"Heroes and Villains" teaser trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnjKqNPfFv8

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2990 on: July 04, 2014, 07:34:18 PM »
Word of mouth is going to be important for helping to get as many people back as possible - quite a few players weren't gamers, and only played CoH, so that means they could easily miss news of a restart.

I havent even mentioned this to my SG group or any of my friends who played. Until its a done deal Im not saying a thing.

WolfSoul

• Lieutenant
    • Writing portfolio
« Reply #2991 on: July 04, 2014, 07:38:10 PM »
And all this stuff happened while I was away from my PC....  ;D

So things from me on this:

1. Regardless of whether or not COH comes back, I will still play the "successor games" if they make it to publication. If there's one thing the shutdown taught me, is that we need more options because no game can last forever, even with the best of intentions.

2. In some ways, I think everyone starting over would be fairer and more equitable for everyone involved. If we want new blood-- and I think everyone agrees that COH will need new players in addition to returnings vets-- then having everyone on an equal footing at start up would be a good thing. IMO, at least.

3. I fully acknowledge The 'Ko as the Supreme Queen of COH videos, but with all due respect I think the perfect video for a COH return has already been made. It would just need an announcement of COH as an end credit:

"Unity" by Angelis Animi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyn_YuMLSNc

I agree so much. What a great vid. I choke up at the end with the torches. *sigh*

Rayderoth

• Underling
« Reply #2992 on: July 04, 2014, 07:53:39 PM »
I've been lurking this thread for a few weeks now. Fingers crossed that CoX makes a comeback.

Figured I'd add my CoX story to the pile.

I don't remember what issue I started playing. But I started with the free trial of CoV. I couldn't tell you what kind of toon I played. What I can tell you, was that CoX was, and still is, the best MMO I've ever had the joy of experiencing.

I finished the trial and a few weeks later went out and bought the collector's edition. My main pretty quickly switched from the toon I played in the trial, to a Tech Stalker/Supersonic. I have so many vivid memories of exploring that beginning Island, sneaking through caves, shipping containers, and rooms to backstab mobs. I had so much fun in that first month. I got to about 20, and really started having trouble soloing.

I didn't have the funds to keep paying for game time, though. I was still a teen, and didn't have a job. So $15 a month was pretty difficult to keep up with.

Then I got a summer job about a year or so later. I noticed new releases of CoX, with the whole "Architech Entertainement" thing. So I paid up for more game time. This time, I stocked up on game time cards.

I remade the toon from when I played the trial and got to about 30 with some help of a friend of mine. Then we discovered AE and just started grinding to 50.

I got bored of that, so I decided to check out CoH. Boy, was I in for a treat.

My friend got pretty bored of CoH (he'd always been more of the "villains are awesome" type) and stopped playing. But I got hooked. Without him rushing through all the instances and just murdering mobs, I had time to read the story. I got absolutely immersed in my toon's storyline. It was amazing. For once in an MMO, I felt like I really connected to my character. I wasn't just some part of a faction or race, being told to take care of the pancakey menial work by my superiors; I was a superhero struggling to do good by a city that was overrun with bad guys.

It felt... Like I was playing a comic book, where my toon was the hero.

It was wonderful.

If I logged off in the middle of a quest chain, it wasn't so much "ugh next time I log in I gotta kill some boars" as it was "I can't wait to see what happens in the next issue!" Quests chains were arcs in my toon's story. I even remember certain arcs would be referenced in later arcs. It really hit home.

That was the summer Going Rogue was announced. I held off for a couple of weeks, and then caved on pre-ordering it for the new Powersets. Regrettably, my story ends more or less right after GR's release. I played a little bit, but then I was let go from my job. No cashflow meant no more CoX. I bought a couple of game time cards after that, but never got to use them because my videocard busted a capacitor. Combine "not enough money" and "this computer is bloody ancient and nobody uses PCI or AGP bus slots for videocards anymore" and you pretty much just give up on PC gaming.

My most cherished memories of CoX though, are all about how unique the game and the community was. No other MMO allowed players to be so creative. Out of the thousands of toons I saw, and the hundreds I grouped with, no two looked even REMOTELY alike. Every quest chain I did felt like it had meaning in my toon's journey. I even loved doing AE missions because of how great some of the player-made storylines and missions were. Combat was always fun and engaging. But best of all, there was no "definitive" powerset/AT combination. Yes, some were better than others (no MMO can truly be balanced) but I never saw anyone one say that someone else was "playing the wrong powerset" (or things along those lines). I even got into exploration by badge collecting.

I usually dread partying with people in MMOs. That's why I tend to solo. But in CoX, grouping with people was awesome. As a Scrapper (... or Defender... I really don't remember which it was...), I got front row seats to the awesome powerset combos other players had come up with. If they RP'd I got to learn about their character, too. It was always great to find a PUG that had space for an extra Melee-based toon and just help people complete quests (in keeping with the comic-book thing above, I kind of liked to imagine that PUGs were the one-off crossover issues).

Now, I have a shiny new dedicated gaming rig (with more than enough power to play 10 simultaneous clients I'm sure), a steady job, and a new batch of friends whom I'm sure would love to jump into CoX.

So good luck to IronWolf and his team. You can bet that when the servers come back up, you'll see The Exploding Condenser (more likely to be renamed "The Exploding Capacitor" this time) keeping the streets of Paragon safe again!

EDIT: I'm so sorry that this post is a huge wall of text... I just... Needed to let it out.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 07:59:18 PM by Rayderoth »

Spadra

• Underling
« Reply #2993 on: July 04, 2014, 07:58:55 PM »
I havent even mentioned this to my SG group or any of my friends who played. Until its a done deal Im not saying a thing.

I am with Heatstroke on this. There is no reason at this point to spread the word of a "maybe". I know I would personally feel terrible to pop back into any of my SG members lives just to raise hope and ultimately see them dashed again. I can sit tight on being the messenger. My friend I did inform is a close friend in RL who was an active participant in the initial Save City of Heroes campaign. Although I will say this, Golden Girl has it right about word of mouth. Once the game is back I see this community being crucial in spreading the word former players who have moved on. Very exciting stuff.

Perplexite

• New Efforts # 6,000!
  • Minion
« Reply #2994 on: July 04, 2014, 07:59:31 PM »
I remember going through the entire (old) tutorial of my trial account redside without knowing you could use the spacebar to jump.

And I thought you had to run all the way back to the start at the end.

Then like at lv 14 someone told me. The most epic D'OH Sweden has ever heard.
@.Q on Union Server

Golden Girl

• Elite Boss
    • Heroes and Villains
« Reply #2995 on: July 04, 2014, 08:09:16 PM »
I am with Heatstroke on this. There is no reason at this point to spread the word of a "maybe". I know I would personally feel terrible to pop back into any of my SG members lives just to raise hope and ultimately see them dashed again. I can sit tight on being the messenger. My friend I did inform is a close friend in RL who was an active participant in the initial Save City of Heroes campaign. Although I will say this, Golden Girl has it right about word of mouth. Once the game is back I see this community being crucial in spreading the word former players who have moved on. Very exciting stuff.

Yeah, I wasn't meaning we should start broadcasting about it yet - but if the deal does go through,l then we'll all need to do as much as we can to help let the scattered community know what's going on.

Harpospoke

• New Efforts # 4,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2996 on: July 04, 2014, 08:24:31 PM »
Oh and my 2inf on the account info debate - I wouldn't be at all unhappy to start again from scratch. Actually it could really be a benefit in terms of bringing a shared experience to the playerbase. I have a lovely mental image of Atlas Park spawning instance after instance as thousands of fresh faced level 1 toons start logging in at the relaunch. Kind of like the AP33 thing but with less em torch and far more DFB's!
That may be the motivation for quite a few players for liking the idea of everyone starting over.

But I'm predicting it won't work that way at all.   I predict there will be lvl 50s in the game within a few days. (first day?)  I'll be one of them if I can figure out how to PL properly.   I simply enjoyed the lvl 50 game with my finished characters more than anything.

I also predict those who thought we were all going to level up brand new characters on Frostfire missions will be on the forums complaining about the "dirty PL'ers" as soon as it's obvious not everyone was onboard with the "clean slate" thing.  ;)

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2997 on: July 04, 2014, 08:27:47 PM »
If CoH returns, news will spread like wildfire.  It will send a shockwave of publicity throughout the MMO community as the game that, rightfully, refused to die...supported by a community that refused to give up hope.

It's an event of such magnitude...that the 'new owners' of the game and the CoH community should, of course, ride the shockwave out to generate as much publicity to reach new, and old, gamers alike.

As mentioned above, it will a priority to rapidly re-install the 'scattered' fragments of 'non-gamers' (who perhaps made up a surprising amount of the 'pick up and play' legend that was/is CoH...and by non-gamer, I count myself...whose last 'hard core' foray into gaming was the C64 era...) who may not be following this thread and the zeitgeist of recent events.

I see an installed player base of 100k and then 200k+ players as very achievable.  Perhaps even higher.  But the CoH community will have to put their words into actions and get their MMO playing buddies in other games to give CoH a try.  It's amazing the amount of people who are curious about CoH but never gave it a try.  (Especially in the context of the amount of MMO junk out there that people DO try and even stick with.)

If even this thread is any indicator, word is beginning to catch on...that the 'Phoenix' may well be rising...

Azrael.

PS.  As for Champions.  It sucks.

PPS. 
Now, I have a shiny new dedicated gaming rig (with more than enough power to play 10 simultaneous clients I'm sure), a steady job, and a new batch of friends whom I'm sure would love to jump into CoX.

Enjoyed reading your story, 'Ray...'  RPG element is cool.  Taking your time to enjoy the story rather than 'nomming' mobs.  *doffs cap.  I always fancied making my own AE story arcs for all my alts.  I just never got around to it.

What I fancied doing (not sure if AE was up to it...) was to create a 1-50 'Sun Storm' PB style arc for my main alt.  And run the whole story for my 1-50 journey...
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 08:34:07 PM by Azrael »

Eskreema

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2998 on: July 04, 2014, 08:27:59 PM »
Never wanted the badge/power to be bought.  I just wanted it for the peeps who were still active at shutdown.  Probably should have switched order of 30 & 40
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 08:49:52 PM by Eskreema »
Global: Iron Smoke.  Boards: Kractis Sky. Server:  Champion.  Main:  Eskreema

I don't always get sucked into a jet engine and live to talk about it, but when I do I use the new ICD-10 V97.33XD code.  Because things like that need to be trended by your insurance company and your money!

Harpospoke

• New Efforts # 4,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2999 on: July 04, 2014, 08:32:05 PM »
For me its not getting them to 50.. thats easy.. if I can get a few PL guys together. rock some missions and Get all the toons back to 50... Thats the easy part..

Its all the IO's and Hami-O's !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yeah that will be tougher to gather.

But I'll certainly join you in that PL group.   I'll reroll my old Fire/Kin for that very reason if I have to.