Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7524329 times)

Noyjitat

• Elite Boss
  • Guess who cares?
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #3040 on: July 05, 2014, 05:05:05 AM »
Until you reached the incarnate content, at which point it became a pure repetitive grindfest.

If you knew how to work the system and had good groups it could hardly be considered a grind. You could easily have tier2 powers in just a couple hours of play and burn threads on incarnate xp.

Fanta

• New Efforts # 2,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3041 on: July 05, 2014, 05:14:46 AM »
I wouldn't hold my breath for getting our characters back, I sincerely doubt any of our past loot will be restored... Its just far simpler all the way around that way, and the vast majority of us will play no matter what anyway.

And personally, I prefer that method.  I just hope we don't have an issue with thousands of the one word 3-color-style names getting camped and then never used.

In terms of simpler, I'd have to ask for whom? Saying it's simpler implies you know what's involved to restore that information, if you do I'm all ears. 

There has not been a clear explanation of that to date. No one knows the details as of yet. I'll wait for an announcement, but thanks :D
I am an ass, but don't we all love a good ass!

Talner

• Underling
« Reply #3042 on: July 05, 2014, 05:15:07 AM »
I did the same thing!

At least you guys did that. I just turned off hover and fell from the top of Atlas statue.

Thirty-Seven

• Elite Boss
  • Keeper of the Sacred Number
« Reply #3043 on: July 05, 2014, 05:32:17 AM »
In terms of simpler, I'd have to ask for whom?
The developers, who else?

My logic being that not having to implement it gives them far more options and less to worry about. One example: I think we all agree that they're likely to be fewer servers available to help consolidate the much smaller playerbase... That being said if they don't have data (or choose not to use it) they don't have to figure out how to deal with name conflicts and equitable methods to combine servers (I can see people bitching because their favorite server got merged with Freedom for example).

Also they have all of us starting in the same place, which may allow them more time to get things like the market, Incarnates, etc. set up for us, which might enable them to get the early game running earlier since they needn't have every moving piece fully functional.  Also, there's the issue of the Paragon Market and how implementing past data might make it harder for them to get that setup properly (it was maintained by a 3rd party which means if they have want to reinstate it, it will likely be done totally differently) since people'd be running around with purchases from there while they are maybe implementing a different validation system chafing people who may not be able to make a purchase but see someone else run around in what they wanted.

All of these are just random ideas and all or none of these things might occur.  There are a huge number of interlocking systems involved in the game, and it may just be that making them work might be easiest in an environment where the only versions of things are the ones that existed only within their new infrastructure.  But as you pointed out quite rightly, none of us know.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 05:38:40 AM by Thirty-Seven »

Fanta

• New Efforts # 2,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3044 on: July 05, 2014, 05:56:49 AM »
The developers, who else?

My logic being that not having to implement it gives them far more options and less to worry about. One example: I think we all agree that they're likely to be fewer servers available to help consolidate the much smaller playerbase... That being said if they don't have data (or choose not to use it) they don't have to figure out how to deal with name conflicts and equitable methods to combine servers (I can see people bitching because their favorite server got merged with Freedom for example).

Also they have all of us starting in the same place, which may allow them more time to get things like the market, Incarnates, etc. set up for us, which might enable them to get the early game running earlier since they needn't have every moving piece fully functional.  Also, there's the issue of the Paragon Market and how implementing past data might make it harder for them to get that setup properly (it was maintained by a 3rd party which means if they have want to reinstate it, it will likely be done totally differently) since people'd be running around with purchases from there while they are maybe implementing a different validation system chafing people who may not be able to make a purchase but see someone else run around in what they wanted.

All of these are just random ideas and all or none of these things might occur.  There are a huge number of interlocking systems involved in the game, and it may just be that making them work might be easiest in an environment where the only versions of things are the ones that existed only within their new infrastructure.  But as you pointed out quite rightly, none of us know.

So screw the base in the name of simplicity, great plan!  8)

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3045 on: July 05, 2014, 06:15:45 AM »

I agree with Thirty-Seven.  Unless they bring it back EXACTLY the way it was, they would have to start over because you couldn't have some things that were this way and others that are now this way.

I would love to have my main blaster back.  He was my favorite MMO character ever made, and I have made a lot of them.  But I think it would be cool to run through the game again like its a new game too.  CoH was never too hard to get to max level in so it wouldn't be long before the game was swarmed with 50's again.

Thirty-Seven

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3046 on: July 05, 2014, 06:15:51 AM »
That's certainly the most negative way possible to read it, but... thanks for being so open-minded.

Dannii

• Minion
« Reply #3047 on: July 05, 2014, 06:20:13 AM »
The way I see it, we were screwed when the game was shut down.  Most of us will be happy with whatever we can get.  Our choices if this buy goes through, is to be happy and and go home to our city, or complain about what we didn't get and not play.  I for one will be happy with what we get.  I will be able to fly once again.

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
« Reply #3048 on: July 05, 2014, 06:21:12 AM »
I'm fine with starting over, but maybe they could start fresh and then possibly restore account data later? Issue a rename token in case of duplicates? Restore slots and vet powers and costume sets as they can re-add them?

Not the best case but better than nothing.

Please understand, nothing will stop me from playing this game again if I can. I just want the best deal I can get, the same as they do and the same as anyone else.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!

Takinalis

• Boss
« Reply #3049 on: July 05, 2014, 06:23:12 AM »
Hoping... lurking... hoping... lurking... hoping... lurking... posting!
Valkyrie Blade - Virtue Server

Fanta

• New Efforts # 2,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3050 on: July 05, 2014, 06:26:07 AM »
That's certainly the most negative way possible to read it, but... thanks for being so open-minded.

I'm sure if someone worked at it they would find a worse scenario, but being open minded and only going the "start from scratch" way is that much better. I'm glad you can see it our way too!

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3051 on: July 05, 2014, 06:36:39 AM »
Fanta, most of us have no leverage at all having stated repeatedly that we would play no matter what. if they have been reading this thread, they know how desperate some of us are to play again.

Since the game closed I have been saying and will keep saying, I just want to play the game again before I die.
If they let me, I'll play.
If they say. No you can only have 8 slots, I'll play.
If they say, NO, you can only the basic costume parts, I'll play.
If they say NO! the level cap is 40 for now. I'll play.

Yes, for me it's that damn bad.

I, and others like me, at at the mercy of the owners. I can't imagine not playing if I can. Maybe in years to come I'll feel like I got screwed, but I doubt it.

I hope we get some of what you want for us, but nothing I can think of will stop me from playing if I can. Nothing.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 06:43:26 AM by TheDevilYouKnow »
AKA TheDevilYouKnow

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3052 on: July 05, 2014, 06:37:22 AM »
I'm sure if someone worked at it they would find a worse scenario, but being open minded and only going the "start from scratch" way is that much better. I'm glad you can see it our way too!

Would you not play if you don't get your character back?  Because it really doesn't matter which way it goes for most of us.  He isn't saying that's the best way he's saying its the most logical way and the best way to avoid extra complications in the future (More then your average amount of MMO problems)  All of us would obviously like our characters back.  All of us would like our builds that cost billions of inf back.  But when it comes down to it it may not be doable.  If we can't get the whole game as it was, which it sounds like we can't, then there might not be a way to bring back old characters.  If you have to change the game then you have to change the game plain and simple.  Then the next best option is starting over.  Seeing how the third option is not having the game at all.

EDIT:  Also what TheDevilYouKnow said.  We have no say in this.  Either we play by their rules or we don't play.  Its good enough news already we have a chance at getting our game back.  I don't think we should start getting into with each other over things that no one has any say in at all.  Thirty-Seven doesn't have the final say on if we do or don't get our characters back.

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3053 on: July 05, 2014, 06:52:47 AM »
My current plan, assuming we get no data back and have to start from scratch.

Log in, buy as many slots on whatever server I can get one with my two accounts, three counting my sister, and get the names of all my characters back. I don't even care if better versions are available. I want the names I had, if I can get them. Once I get as many of them as I can, Then I'll start with my main  A DP/MM blaster and play for as long as I can keep my eyes open.

I already told my boss that I would need a few days off for this event whenever it happens.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow

Thirty-Seven

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3054 on: July 05, 2014, 06:53:11 AM »
Nope, I sure don't.

But rest assured that if I did, I'd prolly push for having folks getting their stuff back, even though I personally would kinda like a full restart.  As I said up-thread the most important thing for me is the creating and the path all the way up to and through the Incarnate system.  What I love most of all is rolling a brand new alt and digging into the game with him!  I can do that no matter what stuff I get back...

It'll just suck if there are costume and power restrictions, but I'd deal with it.

Thirty-Seven

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3055 on: July 05, 2014, 06:56:51 AM »
Yeah, the time-off thing will suck, apparently we now need to put in for time-off 9 weeks in advance!?  I'm thinking that I may just need to put in for a week and make sure they know its subject to change, but that may nor fly.  We'll see, I guess.

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3056 on: July 05, 2014, 06:57:51 AM »
Thirty Seven, an aside,

If possible, could you, or someone like you, update the lore for the incarnate stuff? I would love to read about exactly what was happening. The only story I know is the Dark Astoria arc (which was freaking awesome).

I'm sure it was epic, but I never led one so have no idea what was happening except the cut scenes.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow

Scendera

• Boss
  • Faith Manages.
« Reply #3057 on: July 05, 2014, 06:58:24 AM »
I'd cheerfully play from nothing again. I never made it to the high end...the game was always about having fun killing stuff in new and inventive ways for me. Getting to kill more stuff? Sure, bring it!

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3058 on: July 05, 2014, 06:59:10 AM »
Yeah, the time-off thing will suck, apparently we now need to put in for time-off 9 weeks in advance!?  I'm thinking that I may just need to put in for a week and make sure they know its subject to change, but that may nor fly.  We'll see, I guess.

My boss is pretty cool about this kind of thing. She has to be. I have covered her ass so much I'm like a pair of slacks!
AKA TheDevilYouKnow

Thirty-Seven

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3059 on: July 05, 2014, 07:23:12 AM »
Thirty Seven, an aside,

If possible, could you, or someone like you, update the lore for the incarnate stuff? I would love to read about exactly what was happening. The only story I know is the Dark Astoria arc (which was freaking awesome).

I'm sure it was epic, but I never led one so have no idea what was happening except the cut scenes.
(Someone like me!? Unpossible!)

Man, I'd love to... But as much as possible we like to document missions and trials with the full text that is used in-game.  I could go back and put in some sort of "storyline summary" on each of the pages, but I don't know how accurately I remember all that stuff.

I'll run it past some other editors and see if we can't get something worked out.

Calling all Agges, Blondeshells, Sekoias, and EABraces!