Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7527819 times)

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #2820 on: July 03, 2014, 09:17:44 PM »
"Also it would REALLY help accommodate our possibly smaller community now scrunched down from 16 servers to whatever the new owners can afford to handle."

If they are scrunched down.

Don't expect more than one or two servers to start with.

Kallandra

• Underling
« Reply #2821 on: July 03, 2014, 09:31:43 PM »
I just hope folks don't forget about the EU community, and that we like being on our own little server.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2822 on: July 03, 2014, 09:37:31 PM »
I tend to look at it as being slightly behind the times - as in it was developed back in a period before WoW defined what all "real" MMOs should be like - there was more room for innovation back then, so much less pressure from players and publishers to make a "correct" MMO.

Well when you consider that NOW many people are realizing how stagnant MMORPGS are by copying the holy trinity and the grind in every game when CoX never did that to begin with, it was ahead of it's time.  Much like Marathon, the first person shooter, was ahead of it's time as one of the shooters where you actually had physics, or the Real time strategy game Myth The Fallen lords Or myth 2, also games where physics matter in a genre where they STILL do not prioritize physics.

CoX prioritized variety of play styles so much that it wasn't repetitive or a grindfest due to the fact that it wasn't so repetitive, when every other mmorpg has been about as repetitive as it gets.

Edit: CoX also grew, and moved forward ahead of the times.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 09:43:02 PM by LaughingAlex »
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #2823 on: July 03, 2014, 09:45:32 PM »
CoX prioritized variety of play styles so much that it wasn't repetitive or a grindfest due to the fact that it wasn't so repetitive, when every other mmorpg has been about as repetitive as it gets.

Until you reached the incarnate content, at which point it became a pure repetitive grindfest.

Without_Pause

• Minion
« Reply #2824 on: July 03, 2014, 09:47:21 PM »
Until you reached the incarnate content, at which point it became a pure repetitive grindfest.

Which is why I vastly avoided it.

Tyrannical

• Minion
« Reply #2825 on: July 03, 2014, 09:49:50 PM »

A bit of grinding in the endgame is nothing compared to most games grinding every level as you go along. rather than having everything from A to Z a big old grind, only the optional endgame content was, which made your level 50's feel vastly powerful, and provided a challenge and large-scale team effort.

Silas

• Underling
« Reply #2826 on: July 03, 2014, 09:52:17 PM »
If CoH comes back I'd be psyched. I was looking for a new MMO to get into recently and I got all nostaltic about CoH and how well it handled teaming. All that delicious instancing, the SK/exemplar system and so on.

While I didn't export my character data way back when, (and as such have no horse in this race), I do think it'd be for the best if the game is relaunched with a clean slate as far as characters goes. Yes, I would think it's kindof a bummer to lose all the stuff I had, emphasis is on had.

The characters I had, the IOs I had, the influence/infamy and badges I had were all stuff I earned in game along with good memories of playing.

New game launch, clean slate. Stuff is stuff, you can get new stuff.

I don't know diddly about database integration, how much you can screw with .xml files and all that, but IMO for the sake of a good fair launch and the ongoing health of the potential game, I think it should be a fresh start.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2827 on: July 03, 2014, 10:02:59 PM »

There was more in the game than just incarnate content at level 50, like signature story archs and whatnot.  I didn't spend all day playing Itrials on every toon, I did signature story archs, allignment missions, mission archs and whatnot because doing the same missions over and over, yeah, even the incarnate trials were nothing compared to the grinds you'd encounter in CO.

Incarnate content wasn't anything like the grind I encountered on CO with the fire and ice rampage, where your like to do HUNDREDS of runs of that one to get just the 6 rampage tokens from that rampage.  It was horrible.  I got rares and very rares in far less time and to boot, I had alot more fun in the Itrials cause you had alot more to do in the incarnate trials than just "see boss, kill boss as tank takes all the damage and healer keeps him alive all day" that the on alert system is rapidly turning CO into.  It was about 100 times MORE repetitive than incarnate content.  I actually missed incarnate content funnily enough because of how repetitive it was in CO.

Edit: Corrected a word in there.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 10:11:09 PM by LaughingAlex »
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Mageman

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2828 on: July 03, 2014, 10:05:59 PM »
I am less concerned with the characters and bases, although getting those back would be nice (and some of my base storage for salvage was over-full from when you collected salvage, but didn't use it and storage had a max of 999 items). You could remove stuff, but not replace it until the count got back down.

The main thing I'm concerned with is the account data, veteran rewards, stuff purchased (including character slots, powers, etc.). Either that, or allow you to spend $50.00, get 2 months subscription, and everything that was available for purchase at some time in the game. I realize there are probably a few things I didn't purchase (like the Wedding Costumes - just didn't feel like something I wanted).

Yesterday, I found my Statesman figurine that was part of the CoH CD edition (CoH originally came out on floppy, and you got a cape and Prestige Power Slide (another run power you couldn't get anywhere else - even in veteran rewards or at the store) for that edition). My computer desk has the mouse mat from the pre-order of Going Rogue and my wife found the box for CoV (I pre-ordered that too, but wasn't really interested in the Helms).

Final thought - I just hope that Iron Wolf has been honest with us. I hate to see a post like "April Fools!"
My Reality:
#1 I love my wife!
#2 I miss CoX!
#3 Refer to rule #1!
#4 I seem to have an itch!

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #2829 on: July 03, 2014, 10:07:56 PM »
Uhh.. "Floppy"? no it didn't.. It came out on DVD, and then later, digital download.

Mageman

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2830 on: July 03, 2014, 10:08:21 PM »
I do have a friend who purchased enough character slots to fill one server (I think that was 30). I bought a few (I think 5 or 10 when they were on sale), but was happy to wait for the Veteran Rewards.
My Reality:
#1 I love my wife!
#2 I miss CoX!
#3 Refer to rule #1!

Mageman

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2831 on: July 03, 2014, 10:09:43 PM »
Uhh.. "Floppy"? no it didn't.. It came out on DVD, and then later, digital download.

It's been a long time, maybe it came out on CD and later on DVD edition for the cape and Prestige Power Slide. Strange, somehow, I remember having lots of CoH Floppy disks......
My Reality:
#1 I love my wife!
#2 I miss CoX!
#3 Refer to rule #1!

Golden Girl

• One Liners and Winky Faces
  • Elite Boss
    • Heroes and Villains
« Reply #2832 on: July 03, 2014, 10:13:42 PM »
At launch it was around 1.5 gb, I think - so that would be a lot of floppies :P
"Heroes and Villains" website - http://www.heroes-and-villains.com
"Heroes and Villains" on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
"Heroes and Villains" on Twitter - https://twitter.com/Plan_Z_Studios
"Heroes and Villains" teaser trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnjKqNPfFv8
Artwork - http://goldengirlcoh.deviantart.com

Harpospoke

• New Efforts # 4,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2833 on: July 03, 2014, 10:19:46 PM »
Kind of exciting to read.   :D

Gamerchamp

• Come from the Land Down
  • Lieutenant
  • City of Heroes/Villains
    • My Twitter
« Reply #2834 on: July 03, 2014, 10:42:41 PM »
Oh my goodness this is such great news to hear thank you so much for the update Ironwolf most appreciated.

Sending positive energy to the team working on this and also to South Korea.
@Str8Dumpin
Str8Dumpin Level 50 War Mace/Fiery Aura Tanker
Str8Away Level 50 Fire Control/Radiation Emission Controller
Str8Killer Level 50 Spines/Invulnerability Scrapper
Str8Ninja Level 50 Energy Melee/Ninjitsu Stalker

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2835 on: July 03, 2014, 10:44:01 PM »
Strange, somehow, I remember having lots of CoH Floppy disks......

Nope, never happened.

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2836 on: July 03, 2014, 10:45:01 PM »
Which is why I vastly avoided it.

and some of us enjoyed it..

Blackstar5

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2837 on: July 03, 2014, 10:48:13 PM »
UPDATE

Hold on a bit - looks like for once I read a bit too much into the email!

It is in the hands of the final guy but they are still working to get the best deal with the most stuff in it - for the best price. I thought it was at the peak - my fault entirely - but it is at the final stage and now the serious deal making is on and we are 1 signature away again.

This just made my day( hell it made my year) prayers and good wishes, fingers and toes crossed.

Blackstar5

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2838 on: July 03, 2014, 10:50:32 PM »
But that was an optional grindfest, if you didn't want to do it you didn't have too.

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2839 on: July 03, 2014, 10:53:05 PM »
 I really hope a solution to the account data happens. One I want all 40+ Fully IO'd out 50;s with all their enhancements and influence back.. I want all the character slots I purchased.. I want all my Veteran Rewards.. My Merits.. Etc etc...

While its certainly wouldnt be a deal breaker for me.. I wouldnt be as excited to repeat 8 years of grind again. I simply dont have that time anymore.. I am not the man I was 10 years ago.. I dont have the time.. I have a wife and a family now which demands time ( and time I freely enjoy giving )

Having my account the way it was allows me to continue on the journey I started.. building characters to the level with the powers and enhancements planned for them instead of starting ALL OVER again from scratch..

Also I need some assurances this time.. Last time I was told I would be able to play for free FOREVER.. expect that I didnt realize that the word FOREVER in Korean meant One Year.. Before I invest my time.. effort and energy and MONEY (and somewhere around 1800-2100 dollars was spend in CoH over 8 years. and I dont regret that at all) again to THAT degree I need to understand the " exit " strategy of the new ownership...