Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7527814 times)

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #3080 on: July 05, 2014, 06:58:44 PM »
I think Halloween might be a bit optimistic - there's going to be a heck of a lot of work for any new team to do before the game would be in a stable and usable state.

I was thinking Dec/January at the earliest actually..

Wyrm

• Stop Dragon My Heart Around
  • Boss
« Reply #3081 on: July 05, 2014, 07:17:57 PM »
I'll worry about all that stuff if/when it happens. Until then, I've put my money where my mouth is with MWM. Choosing between the two will be a wonderful problem to have.
Same here, although it'll more be a "time allocation" thing for me if they co-exist.  If I need to drop a few hundred on a rebooted CoX to start with, to get back up to key "vet rewards" and to re-acquire costume pieces for some of my favorite re-rolls, I will.  If I need to drop other non-supe games entirely, so be it.  I'll be playing both CoT and CoX if we get both.

kiario

• Boss
  • CoH Fanboy
« Reply #3082 on: July 05, 2014, 07:21:32 PM »
How would the new team aquire the game if the final signature signed?
Would someone physicaly go to NCsoft HQ and get the game on discs/USB?

I dont think it will take as long as a half year to get it running. Perhaps 3 months tops.
Its in everyones interest and also from a commercial point to get it up as quickly as possible.

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3083 on: July 05, 2014, 07:39:26 PM »
How would the new team aquire the game if the final signature signed?
Would someone physicaly go to NCsoft HQ and get the game on discs/USB?

I dont think it will take as long as a half year to get it running. Perhaps 3 months tops.
Its in everyones interest and also from a commercial point to get it up as quickly as possible.

I think people dont realize this isnt going to be...flip a switch and it runs..

Your studio has to be in place.. maybe it is.. maybe it isnt.. we dont know.
You need to assemble your development team and create positions and responsibilties for them...
You need to acquire all the data..
You need to upload it and hope nothing breaks...
You need a new login system.
You need servers...
The servers need to be tested for latency issues.
You need a maintance team..
You need a website and web managers..
You need community liasons.
You need to make an announcement to media outlets..
You desperately need a marketing team...
You need internal tests run..
You need a beta test...
You need a launch..
We know the game runs on XP.. Windows 7?? Windows 8?? Linux ??? whatever Mac version is out now ??
What about the Paragon market.. that was run by a third party company if I remember.. that would need to be re-established

And thats off the top of the head of guy who knows ZERO about building a game..

I am sure there are tens to hundreds of other things that need to be in place so that it is a successful return..

Scendera

• Boss
  • Faith Manages.
« Reply #3084 on: July 05, 2014, 07:46:34 PM »
It runs on 7. 7's been around since 09.

Perplexite

• New Efforts # 6,000!
  • Minion
« Reply #3085 on: July 05, 2014, 07:48:14 PM »
When I was new, CoX was my 1st MMO as well. I had no idea how to lower altitude when Hovering; I would fly over to a building, jump to a lower roof, then a lower one and so on until it was safe to jump to the ground. LOL. I was an idiot.  8)

I miss Jenkins  :-\

Haha I did that too! I would also run actually sneak on my stalker, and try and attack the mobs from behind, like a total child of the zelda generation ;) And I was afraid of two enemies at once.

CoX helped me through so much of my RL-jazz!
@.Q on Union Server

Harpospoke

• New Efforts # 4,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3086 on: July 05, 2014, 08:02:19 PM »
I would love to have my main blaster back.  He was my favorite MMO character ever made, and I have made a lot of them.  But I think it would be cool to run through the game again like its a new game too. 
I'm just spitt-balling here, but I think I came up with a solution for those who like the idea of starting over.

Delete your old toons and start over?

Seems like that would work without people like myself being forced to "join the fun of starting from scratch".   8)

Harpospoke

• New Efforts # 4,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3087 on: July 05, 2014, 08:03:32 PM »
The way I see it, we were screwed when the game was shut down.  Most of us will be happy with whatever we can get.  Our choices if this buy goes through, is to be happy and and go home to our city, or complain about what we didn't get and not play.  I for one will be happy with what we get.  I will be able to fly once again.
People will complain no matter what.   I'm getting the sense that some who prefer we all start over from the beginning will complain if we get our old toons back.

Harpospoke

• New Efforts # 4,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3088 on: July 05, 2014, 08:04:35 PM »
I'm fine with starting over, but maybe they could start fresh and then possibly restore account data later? Issue a rename token in case of duplicates? Restore slots and vet powers and costume sets as they can re-add them?
The problem I see with that is that you've got a new account with new toons....how do you merge them if you get your old account back later?

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3089 on: July 05, 2014, 08:04:59 PM »
I'm just spitt-balling here, but I think I came up with a solution for those who like the idea of starting over.

Seems like that would work without people like myself being forced to "join the fun of starting from scratch".   8)

well we might be forced to regardless..  however I dont see the FUN in starting an 8 year journey ALL OVER again just to get back where I was at shutdown..

What I forsee is a lot of AE PL'ing and the Gold Farm Spammer people back in spades..

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3090 on: July 05, 2014, 08:11:15 PM »
well we might be forced to regardless..  however I dont see the FUN in starting an 8 year journey ALL OVER again just to get back where I was at shutdown..

What I forsee is a lot of AE PL'ing and the Gold Farm Spammer people back in spades..

I already have plans for fast leveling without farms, it's called force multipliers.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Harpospoke

• New Efforts # 4,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3091 on: July 05, 2014, 08:13:42 PM »
Well....however it pans out, it will be okay. Some of us were hashing over the notion of reacquiring all those badges, lol. Badges! Some would no doubt be lost forever, and I'd be just fine with that, I think.
I just remembered one of the more time consuming (and expensive) badges...the crafting badges which allowed you to have the portable crafting table!   Seems like it took me forever to get that one. 

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3092 on: July 05, 2014, 08:18:23 PM »
I already have plans for fast leveling without farms, it's called force multipliers.

My issue isnt leveling.. Usually my trick is to get to 35 and then run non speed kill as we go ITF's over and over @ +2... Great XP and Influence.. works well for me.. the issue isnt getting to level 50.. I know how to do that.. and can do it quite fast actually..

Its the 40 Plus Fully IO'd toons.. THATS the problem for me..

All The Luck of the Gamblers.. gone..
All the Kinetic Combats.. gone..
All the Numina Regen/Recovery Gone..
All the Purples Gone..
All the Miracle Recovery's Gone..
All the ATIO's gone..
All the Positrons Blast... gone
All the Decimations.. Gone..

All the Hami's.... OMG ALL THE HAMIS !!!!!

i need to go lay down and cry now...

Golden Girl

• One Liners and Winky Faces
  • Elite Boss
    • Heroes and Villains
« Reply #3093 on: July 05, 2014, 08:20:00 PM »
I just remembered one of the more time consuming (and expensive) badges...the crafting badges which allowed you to have the portable crafting table!   Seems like it took me forever to get that one.

What about the Ouroboros ones? :P
"Heroes and Villains" website - http://www.heroes-and-villains.com
"Heroes and Villains" on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
"Heroes and Villains" on Twitter - https://twitter.com/Plan_Z_Studios
"Heroes and Villains" teaser trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnjKqNPfFv8
Artwork - http://goldengirlcoh.deviantart.com

Wyrm

• Stop Dragon My Heart Around
  • Boss
« Reply #3094 on: July 05, 2014, 08:46:26 PM »

Seems like rather than dividing ourselves into camps over hypotheticals, we ought to agree to be happy about the possibility of the game returning at all, then see how it gets handled if the sale goes through.

Starting over from scratch doesn't seem like something most folks would want to do.  Would I rather have my purpled/hami'd characters back?  Yes, especially since there's never going to be a way to re-build them exactly, since I used upgraded level 52++ Hami-O's on several of them, and those weren't ever supposed to be available and wouldn't be likely to come back.

I find it vanishingly unlikely that, if account data were available and if it were possible to re-enable former characters, new owners wouldn't find a way to use that to create a revenue stream.  I wouldn't worry about anybody forcing you to re-roll if there are other options. 

Harpospoke

• New Efforts # 4,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3095 on: July 05, 2014, 08:54:47 PM »
What about the Ouroboros ones? :P
Ooo....I didn't even have all of those...great point.

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #3096 on: July 05, 2014, 08:56:33 PM »
It runs on 7. 7's been around since 09.

It runs through Icon on Windows 8, and 8.1 just fine.  So does the ancient Issue 0 that SEGS is using.

However.

Step #1.  GET THE GAME FIRST!  Worry later. ;)

Harpospoke

• New Efforts # 4,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3097 on: July 05, 2014, 08:57:39 PM »
Starting over from scratch doesn't seem like something most folks would want to do.
I wouldn't think that either...but I'm seeing several people express a preference for that in this thread.   And not just for themselves....they want everyone to start over. (the ultimate nerf-herder?)   I was just putting out that option so they can see it's not necessary for everyone to start over for them to achieve this goal.

Golden Girl

• One Liners and Winky Faces
  • Elite Boss
    • Heroes and Villains
« Reply #3098 on: July 05, 2014, 08:59:46 PM »
Ooo....I didn't even have all of those...great point.

And I probably shouldn't even mention the anniversary badges :P
"Heroes and Villains" website - http://www.heroes-and-villains.com
"Heroes and Villains" on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
"Heroes and Villains" on Twitter - https://twitter.com/Plan_Z_Studios
"Heroes and Villains" teaser trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnjKqNPfFv8
Artwork - http://goldengirlcoh.deviantart.com

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
« Reply #3099 on: July 05, 2014, 09:01:47 PM »
The problem I see with that is that you've got a new account with new toons....how do you merge them if you get your old account back later?

If you have enough slots, it could be the same as transferring a toon from server to server. If a toon with that name exists you get a rename token. Easy Peasy.

This assumes that the account data is accessible of course.

Look, I get that some people want their old characters, I do too. Heck I actually know people who WON'T play if they can't get everything back. I certainly don't care if others have 50's and I don't.

Let me ask this. What if they could get the game up and running without old data restored in 2 months but if they have to restore data 6 to 8 months.

Would you rather have it in 2 months or 6-8 months?
AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!