Author Topic: As a Newb, what funny blunders did you commit?  (Read 16353 times)

GenericHero05

• New Efforts # 7,000!
  • Boss
As a Newb, what funny blunders did you commit?
« on: September 13, 2013, 07:02:47 PM »
When I began this amazing game in 2004, I kept hearing from my friends that "you get your travel power at 14."  I never took the time to ask about the trams, I didn't even know they existed.  I ran to every mission, at times trying to take shortcuts through zones that I was woefully inexperienced to go through.  I remember trying to cut through IP from Steel Canyon to Kings Row.  Not a happy ending.  I entered IP and thought "Hey... why don't I just make a quick left and cut through the back of these buildings."  I jumped over the fence and landed right in the middle of a bunch of guys all dressed in three-piece suits.

I woke up in the hospital.
If I was a Jedi, there's a 100% chance that I'd use The Force inappropriately.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
Re: As a Newb, what funny blunders did you commit?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 07:10:18 PM »
first regen scrapper. Forgot to take the heals and no enhancements playing like a tank and wondering why I'm faceplanting against +3s. lmao. Those were the days. Made it all the way up to level 30 like that.

therain93

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 07:11:40 PM »
When I finished missions, I ran back to the entrance, not realizing that little "exit" button ever existed on the navigation bar.  Didn't realize it until someone asked why I was taking so long to get out of a mission ( ' :
@Texarkana - March 5, 2004 - December 1, 2012 -- Imageshack |-| Youtube
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You don't know what it's like.... |-| Book One. Chapter one...

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2013, 07:27:19 PM »
Kept hunting for Clockwork Paladins in King's Row... by going there every few minutes and looking for them. There was a massive facepalm when I was told there was such a thing as zone event notifications.
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

wyldhunt

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2013, 07:28:21 PM »
Jump Kick
Wyldhunt
Guardianite since I2
Playing as Wyldhaunt on Rebirth

Lucretia MacEvil

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2013, 07:54:01 PM »
The classic "train exit is not the same as the entrance" blunder had me confused and very very frustrated for a while (I almost broke my keyboard in rage).

Another one was having a whole bunch of 2-color costumes because I didn't know how to un-link the colors.

Hitting "Passive" instead of "Defensive" on a mastermind before charging into a mob.  Ouch.  (I normally picked defensive to keep my minions from charging into the next mob too soon).

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2013, 08:38:38 PM »
My first character I 6 slotted rest and sprint.

Mantic

• Boss
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2013, 08:53:42 PM »
The first character I rolled up was a fire/fire brute. After a few levels I decided this had to be the worst possible build in the game and outright deleted the character, rolling up a Dark/SR Stalker instead... Nearly two years later that Stalker and an Energy/Energy blaster became my first two level 50s.

Slow learner.

Eventually I did create another fire/fire brute. It turned out not the worst build in the game. That title may be held by SR Stalkers...

Jump Kick

That's not a mistake. Just a stylistic choice. Spider-Stan would not have been the same character without it and he was the most fun and effective scrapper I ever built -- almost always running with jump kick on auto (also took Weapons Mastery just for the web grenades).
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 09:07:07 PM by Mantic »

Justice Blues

• Minion
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2013, 09:09:03 PM »
When I finished missions, I ran back to the entrance, not realizing that little "exit" button ever existed on the navigation bar.  Didn't realize it until someone asked why I was taking so long to get out of a mission ( ' :

Definitely this. Although that exit on the tram was somewhat confusing at first also.

Woodsfire

• Underling
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2013, 09:42:51 PM »
The classic "train exit is not the same as the entrance" blunder had me confused and very very frustrated for a while (I almost broke my keyboard in rage).

After standing there a while waiting for it to let me back on, I /bugged it.

How embarrassing.
 :P

ukaserex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2013, 09:53:13 PM »
I got my first character, an elec/elec blaster up to level 26 or 27 before I realized that just because several different enhancement types could fit into a power, it did not mean that I had to use each possible enhancement type in each power.

I would choose to give a slot to a power based on the number of enhancement types I could put into it. Eventually, there was a power that could accept seven different type of enhancements. I was confused for a good while as to how I could get the 7th slot.

Eventually, I ended up deleting that character as it had easily 4 or 5 levels worth of debt. I rerolled the same character name as an ice/ice blaster, based on @olepi's guide.
Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2013, 10:35:37 PM »

Another one was having a whole bunch of 2-color costumes because I didn't know how to un-link the colors.

Oh jeez. Yep, I'm guilty of these two.   ...and probably more once I think about it! hehe

wyldhunt

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2013, 01:46:08 AM »
That's not a mistake. Just a stylistic choice. Spider-Stan would not have been the same character without it and he was the most fun and effective scrapper I ever built -- almost always running with jump kick on auto (also took Weapons Mastery just for the web grenades).
I never took Jump Kick after that again. Some things are stylistic choices for particular characters, and some are gimping choices for that style. Let me share some context for this being a funny blunder. It was Issue 2, CoH was my first MMO, I started an Inv/Mace Tanker, and took Jump Kick. With weapon redraw, Unyielding Stance, and slow as molasses stunning weapon and jump kick, it was funny, and it was a blunder. I rerolled as an Inv/Ax Tanker (keeping Superjump but ditching Jump Kick), and finally got him to 50 long after CoV came out and an SS/WP Villain Brute finally fit my style enough so that I learned to play well.
Wyldhunt
Guardianite since I2
Playing as Wyldhaunt on Rebirth

Cinnder

• Boss
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2013, 04:21:28 AM »
CoH was my first MMO, so I didn't know anything about standard abbreviations.  As I was wandering around Atlas in awe, I occasionally saw certain characters with a particular 3-letter designation above their heads, and for some reason decided they were probably devs or mods.  I finally decided to ask one of them to be sure -- keep in mind at this stage the idea of being able to talk to a real person in a game was still blowing my mind -- but despite my apologising for bothering them, they refused to even acknowledge my presence.  After a few attempts to engage the character in conversation, I walked away, utterly deflated.

The 3-letter abbreviation above the character's head?  You guessed it: "AFK".

Reiraku

• Boss
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2013, 04:55:32 AM »
I took temperature protection instead of fire shield on my fire tank. I mean, both resist damage but only one used endurance, so why not?

Shidan

• Minion
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2013, 05:25:14 AM »
I got my first character, an elec/elec blaster up to level 26 or 27 before I realized that just because several different enhancement types could fit into a power, it did not mean that I had to use each possible enhancement type in each power.

I would choose to give a slot to a power based on the number of enhancement types I could put into it. Eventually, there was a power that could accept seven different type of enhancements. I was confused for a good while as to how I could get the 7th slot.

Eventually, I ended up deleting that character as it had easily 4 or 5 levels worth of debt. I rerolled the same character name as an ice/ice blaster, based on @olepi's guide.

Heh, you did better than me I got a character all the way to 28 before realizing I had to actually put enhancements in the slots, I just added slots thinking that increased the strength of my powers.

TerminalVelocity

• Minion
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2013, 05:26:43 PM »
This.

When I was very new, maybe the first week (though I'd like to think that's a stretch. I don't remember the specifics), if I died in a zone I would wait around for someone to rez me instead of going to the hospital, not realizing that there was no penalty. And I don't mean when I was on a team. Just any time I died outside of an instance. Contrast the later years of my CoH experience, where on a team I would sometimes hosp before people actually got a chance to rez me.

Oh jeez, I'm cringing just thinking this. The very first day I played, I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to quit the game. I was completely oblivious to the menu button, and I actually ctrl+alt+del'd to leave the game.

Looking back, I was a troubled n00b.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 05:44:47 PM by TerminalVelocity »
@Bullet Barrage
I left the forums with 1,337 post.

Optimus Dex

• Boss
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2013, 01:44:29 AM »
I started playing in September of 2004. One of my many noob mistakes was trying to walk a 4th lvl defender solo around Kings Row - just to explore.  I eventually 6 slotted said defender for damage.

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2013, 02:43:21 AM »
Mine was also the event which made me want to actually get the game, while playing a trial. Started in Galaxy, ran out of missions to do there. Next contact I was introduced to was in Kings Row, so since I didn't yet know about the trains off I went to the tunnel at the south end of the zone through to Kings Row. The north end of Kings Row, as we all know, is full of level 9-10 Skulls. I was, I think, level 5. But it wasn't the Skulls that got me, them I managed to go around. And in the process of going around them I ran face-first into a Clockwork Paladin.

I woke up in the hospital a moment later wondering what happened. And then I got invited to a team to kill that same Paladin, which was my first introduction to the amazing and awesome concept that is sidekicking, and to the amazing and awesome group of people that is the CoH community.

SentaiRed

• Underling
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2013, 03:46:55 AM »
Tried to solo Dr. Vahzilok.