Author Topic: As a Newb, what funny blunders did you commit?  (Read 16347 times)

Luna Eclypse

• New Efforts # 9,000!
  • Boss
  • Follow my on Twitter @LunaEclypse
    • Luna Eclypse on VirtueVerse
Re: As a Newb, what funny blunders did you commit?
« Reply #80 on: October 20, 2013, 10:17:41 PM »
My very first character, an Assault Rifle/Devices Blaster (between Issue's 2 and 3)... I had no idea you could slot more than one of the same kind of enhancement on a power.  I was around level 24 and couldn't understand why so many other people were doing more damage than I was. Also, I took Taser when it was still the original melee-range hand taser.
"The Remarkable Dazzling"
Luna Eclypse

Sajaana

• Boss
« Reply #81 on: October 26, 2013, 07:25:33 PM »
As a noob, I tried to follow another player through a door, thinking that there must be something good in there!

But the game said "you are not allowed" or something like that...so I kept on wondering, "what do I need to do to get through that door?"  It then dawned upon me that this was part of the mission-selection process.

Ohioknight

• Celebrating Columbus Day
  • Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
« Reply #82 on: October 26, 2013, 11:34:22 PM »
I started up during the 2006 Halloween event and thought it was rather strange that it was always nighttime in Paragon City
"Wow, a fat, sarcastic, Star Trek fan, you must be a devil with the ladies"

r00tb0ySlim

• Boss
« Reply #83 on: October 27, 2013, 02:32:40 PM »
I was a stupid noob. I used training enhancements until my 30s. I didn't know you could delete enhancements from your trays until level 20s or 30s, so I pretty much used no enhancements because they were all red. And this was when SO enhancement drops weren't common.

This.  I did the same thing; however, prior to learning how to screw up slotting I didn't now how to level up and went thru a load of levels before asking someone for help  :-[  Fun times!!!

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
  • CoH global: @Kristoff von Gelmini
« Reply #84 on: October 28, 2013, 03:42:52 AM »
Happily, my friend who introduced me to CoH was a veteran player and I soon met other veteran players, so this helped me avoid numerous noob errors, but certainly not all.  My main character at the time was a dark defender whose background was that of a vampire sorcerer.  After doing a bunch of missions, my avatar was hanging out at Wentworths for a really long time (probably I had just learned about IO set recipes or something).  Anyhow, he'd dropped Shadowfall, was there a really long time and suddenly bursts into flame!  I later figured out he was simply the recipient of some thermal buffing but at the time I thought maybe he'd been shopping too long and that was why he'd burst into flame!  So promptly logged out!  Imagine my relief when I logged back in and my character was still there, unharmed, no longer ablaze.   :roll:
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine

Catstiel

• Underling
  • Circle of Thorns Bakery - Try our new Oranbagel!
« Reply #85 on: October 28, 2013, 09:56:55 AM »
My favorite area was always Kings Row because i used to love saving the people being sacrificed by the Circle of Thorns. However...in my early days i thought that because i was of Magic Origin that they would be my personal nemesis throughout the game. So many bug reports/petitions because i was fighting skulls/hellions. Around level 8-ish they finally explained things, boy did i feel stupid.

antarcticaa

• Lieutenant
« Reply #86 on: November 02, 2013, 02:33:40 AM »
I started on day one, i1.  It was so new that on my ice/ice blaster, Antarcticaa, you could see her nips in her white costume.  They fixed that soon, lol but my hubby didn't mind when he'd look over my shoulder and ask me what I was doing.  Then running around in PP, lost and scared, trailing thugs I had inadvertently aggro'd and screaming for help, not realizing I had a power toggled that caused the aggro.  I hated PP till we got maps from Titan helping us.   ;)

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #87 on: November 02, 2013, 07:24:15 PM »
"you could see her nips in her white costume.  They fixed that soon"

I remember that so well....the lady 'gumdrops' were very pronounced and showed through a lot of tops. They were changed so the rating could remain for teens and above. (A site named Coldspot's had a mod you could download that gave them back, but only you could see them. It was an overlay like the Vidiotmaps.) These are pics I saved from my earliest times of playing.

Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

yoreverend

• Underling
« Reply #88 on: November 05, 2013, 02:40:19 AM »
Well, one of my earliest toons was a Mind/Storm controller (yeah, mistake enough, right?), and I remember being like level 4, jumping up the side of a building in KR, and gleefully blowing a ring of CoTs off the rooftop to heroically save the sacrificial victim with the Gust power or whatever it was...

... and then finding out that the fall down fifteen floors to the street below DIDN'T KILL THEM and having them all run up the fire escape after me.

Floride

• Elite Boss
  • Badgehunter Extraordinaire
« Reply #89 on: November 06, 2013, 08:39:20 AM »
Well, one of my earliest toons was a Mind/Storm controller (yeah, mistake enough, right?), and I remember being like level 4, jumping up the side of a building in KR, and gleefully blowing a ring of CoTs off the rooftop to heroically save the sacrificial victim with the Gust power or whatever it was...

... and then finding out that the fall down fifteen floors to the street below DIDN'T KILL THEM and having them all run up the fire escape after me.
LOL! I remember wasting some clockworks in atlas, feeling all proud, then arrogantly "taking a knee" (resting) over their broken bodies. And surreptitiously getting one-shotted by a returning "runner".
History shows again and again
How nature points out the folly of men

Castegyre

• Elite Boss
« Reply #90 on: November 07, 2013, 05:38:10 AM »
The first time I went in a mission with multiple floors I petitioned because I thought it was broken. Turned out I just needed to use the elevator to get to the next floor. >.>

Randomvector

• Lieutenant
« Reply #91 on: November 08, 2013, 02:10:44 PM »
In KR: What is this funny little tree? <stands looking at it reading its description> Devouring Earth who are they? <turns around> OH GOD! <annihilated by returning DE ambush spawn 20 levels higher than me>

AnjoVII

• Underling
  • Angebastian (Super strength/Regeneration/Brute)
« Reply #92 on: November 20, 2013, 07:46:05 PM »
In memory of Angebastian (Super strength/Regeneration MeleeDamage/Brute) City Of Heroes I am ex hero player from Freedom server and now I lost my friends and my COH is been shut down.
A.Z.P

Second Chances

• Minion
« Reply #93 on: November 24, 2013, 06:16:12 PM »
When I started, my first character was an invuln tank, and based on the description text, I decided to pass on Unyielding. >_>  Fortunately, I teamed with someone who clued me in on what I was missing. :)

But, actually, I stopped playing that character entirely at around 20, anyway, since by then I had fallen in with some other newbs, and we ended up forming the most ridiculously broken team structure. They were pretty much all blasters (aside from one that had rolled a stormy... he didn't play as often as the rest, but you can imagine how handy he was when he did), and I rolled an emp def. Even better, they treated being defeated like a thing that should never happen to them. So, every battle ended up consisting of a minigame where my eyes were always fixed on the team list and I was just hitting keys to change team targets and to fire off this heal or that. To get an idea of how stupid it was, I found out afterward that I had been the number two healer on the server that month (I had played the character with them for about three weeks of that month, as we went from level 1 to up into the 30s, before I burned out so bad that I couldn't play him anymore). The person who pointed it out (I hadn't known about the info terminals) knew a 50 who had been intentionally going for the number one distinction, and who had been frustrated since they spent most of the month neck and neck with me. :/

Anyway, after that I rolled a scrapper, and started playing CoH for realz. It was so awesome to go through the same content I had before, but to actually -see- it this time. ^_^7

corvus1970

• Elite Boss
  • A true ruler is as moral as a Hurricane.
« Reply #94 on: November 30, 2013, 02:13:18 AM »
You know how the "R" key was the default for running? Well, I was running with a PUG, doing a Frostfire mish, and as we waited for our end to return in a hallway leading to one of the rooms filled with baddies, I started chatting. Well, I hit the R key while clicked off the chat bar, and my character happily jogged into the room of death, and was promptly defeated.

"What did you do that for?" asked one of the PUG members.
"Nailed by the auto-run key." I replied.
"Ahhh, sorry man. We'll be in there in a minute!" he said.

After that, I started setting my auto-run to be the "+" on my number-pad :D

... ^o^CORVUS^o^
"...if nothing we do matters, than all that matters is what we do."
http://corvus1970.deviantart.com/

Megajoule

• Lieutenant
« Reply #95 on: November 30, 2013, 10:27:07 AM »
When I started, I didn't realize you could combine enhancements from the tray - I thought that both of them had to already be slotted in the power.
My slotting in those early levels was really weird.

(and then I got to DOs, and Terra Volta came out, and it all became moot.)