Author Topic: As a Newb, what funny blunders did you commit?  (Read 16356 times)

Night-Hawk07

• Elite Boss
Re: As a Newb, what funny blunders did you commit?
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2013, 05:42:38 AM »
The classic "train exit is not the same as the entrance" blunder had me confused and very very frustrated for a while (I almost broke my keyboard in rage).

This, though I was still doing that even in the final days...

Other than the tram thing, nothing sticks out in my mind. I'm sure I had moments of scrapperlock, ninja running into a room with 20 mobs standing at the door. I did have one incident with my first Praetorian character where I tried ninja jumping from one building to another; a feat easily accomplished by my main, a well slotted level 40-something (at the time) hero. Not so for this poor, lowly level 6 nooblet. I think I missed my mark by about 150 yards, but thankfully you could only lose all but 1 HP from falling damage. ;D

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2013, 09:01:35 AM »
Tried to solo Dr. Vahzilok.

To be fair, past whichever issue it was that made the game scale AVs down to EBs if you were solo, that was perfectly doable with the right build or a pile of inspirations. Or did you try to solo the one in the Positron TF, post revamp?

SentaiRed

• Underling
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2013, 09:11:49 AM »
To be fair, past whichever issue it was that made the game scale AVs down to EBs if you were solo, that was perfectly doable with the right build or a pile of inspirations. Or did you try to solo the one in the Positron TF, post revamp?

True story, but I think I started just after they added Arena so whatever Issue that was. He was definitely an AV at +0 difficulty. It hurt. And yeah, it was the end of the Vahzilok story arc, not the TF.

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2013, 12:05:01 PM »
LOL, these all brought back memories for me. CoH was the very first mmo I ever played, and I knew NOTHING. It wasn't until I got my only/first character (Healix) to level 14 that I found out what enhancements/slots were! In those days, trollers were super squishy anyway, so I died a LOT.
Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

Floride

• Elite Boss
  • Badgehunter Extraordinaire
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2013, 02:12:28 PM »
CoH was my first MMO too. I started around i11. I wasn't leveling up and figured I must have missed some game trigger that would allow me to level up. So with 1 xp left to go, I ran every arc available to find that "trigger" (The Hollows, Steel Canyon, Faultline, etc). After grinding for 2 weeks, I told my friend who got me into CoH that the game was waaay too broken and not worth paying for. When I told him why, he laughed and explained "trial accounts max out at level 14, noob!" (This was true back then). I paid, eventually leveling that toon (and many others) to 50, and didn't stop paying until NC no longer wanted my money.
History shows again and again
How nature points out the folly of men

pewlagon

• Boss
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2013, 05:37:39 PM »
I can sum up my stupidity in two words:

Spawn Camping

ROBOKiTTY

• Boss
  • KiTTYRiffic
    • KiTTYLand
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2013, 10:05:11 PM »
On my first character (katana/regen scrappa), I skipped all the clickies and took three travel powers (flight, superjump, superspeed). The fourth pool was stealth. Granted, that was back when phase shift was useful, and IH was a toggle.
Have you played with a KiTTY today?

Cinnder

• Boss
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2013, 11:27:46 PM »

It was also possible back when he still spawned as an AV.  Doc Vahz was actually the first AV I ever defeated solo (with my BS/Regen scrapper).  Took forEVER, though.  My hands were cramped claws by the time I beat him.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2013, 01:07:53 AM »
When I was a newbie?  I thought healers were needed...oh the horror.  Man was I an idiot back then....
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

ROBOKiTTY

• Boss
  • KiTTYRiffic
    • KiTTYLand
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2013, 01:50:41 AM »
I made a rad character because I heard rad healed.
Have you played with a KiTTY today?

DJMoose

• Missing His Jeep
  • Boss
  • To believe in the heroic makes heroes.
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2013, 02:32:28 AM »
When I was a newbie?  I thought healers were needed...oh the horror.  Man was I an idiot back then....
First mission group I ever got together I did the same thing.  And then I realized we didn't need a healer with a tanker, controller, and defender in the group.  Derp. :P
Serkana The Wise
Primal Praetorian

SentaiRed

• Underling
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2013, 08:58:20 AM »
It was also possible back when he still spawned as an AV.  Doc Vahz was actually the first AV I ever defeated solo (with my BS/Regen scrapper).  Took forEVER, though.  My hands were cramped claws by the time I beat him.

Hm, interesting. I was a MA/Regen, and he pretty much one-shotted me as an AV. Oh, actually this reminds me of a blunder I made even before attempting to solo Doc Vahz. Skipping Dull Pain. What on EARTH was I thinking, you might ask? Weeeeell:

"+HP? That's silly. MOAR ATTACKS PLZ"

Oh, silly n00b-me.

Harlequin565

• Lieutenant
    • Shuttercount - A Photography site...
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2013, 09:05:52 AM »
Enhancements. All my attacks as an En/En blaster were slotted for Acc/Dam/Rech/End/KB. Then someone mentioned you could have more than one damage enhancement.

Wow.

Thinking back it was a bit yo-yo like. Hasten with one recharge in it. Then six. Then three.

-H

Ellscry

• Minion
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2013, 02:44:38 PM »
My very first hero, a Fire/Fire Tank named Celestine Phoenix, started in Galaxy City. A real life friend wanted to play, and sent me a message asking to meet in Atlas Park; so I open my map, see that all I have to do is get across Perez Park, and set out. Ten seconds after enter Perez I ran into a group of Skulz or some such, and die horribly. Go back to Galaxy, level up to get Hover (that's how new I was) and then take to the Skies and hover my ass to Atlas. I never even realized there was a train. I felt so dumb after I found out.  :P

Justice Blues

• Minion
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2013, 03:22:32 PM »
My very first hero, a Fire/Fire Tank named Celestine Phoenix, started in Galaxy City. A real life friend wanted to play, and sent me a message asking to meet in Atlas Park; so I open my map, see that all I have to do is get across Perez Park, and set out. Ten seconds after enter Perez I ran into a group of Skulz or some such, and die horribly. Go back to Galaxy, level up to get Hover (that's how new I was) and then take to the Skies and hover my ass to Atlas. I never even realized there was a train. I felt so dumb after I found out.  :P

At least it was just Perez. I tried a shortcut through Skyway once before I started using the trains. I was level 4 or 5. It didn't end well.  ;D

Then there was the time a couple of us were in Perez, in the right level range. One of us had used group invisibility on us, because someone had a level 50 ambush spawn there. It was the first time we saw Rikti, so I went up close to get some screen shots, and selected one of them to get info. But I forgot that I had Brawl on auto-attack. I clicked on him, then BAM! I hit the ground wondering what the heck had happened.

Floride

• Elite Boss
  • Badgehunter Extraordinaire
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2013, 08:45:05 PM »
I spent all my influence every time I leveled, just to fill my characters with training inventions, thinking they would make me a total badass  :D
History shows again and again
How nature points out the folly of men

TerminalVelocity

• Minion
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2013, 08:55:24 PM »
Did anyone else make the treacherous journey across Steel Canyon to get to the tailor?  Or just me? If you stayed in the middle of the road you were safe for the most part.
@Bullet Barrage
I left the forums with 1,337 post.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2013, 10:02:05 PM »
Did anyone else make the treacherous journey across Steel Canyon to get to the tailor?  Or just me? If you stayed in the middle of the road you were safe for the most part.
I did so many times and in the beginning not knowing what the colors meant in the beginning, was a little too froggy at times for my own good.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2013, 10:10:12 PM »
I made that run on most of my characters. :)

I'm another one for whom CoH was my first MMO. I don't remember what word it was that I used, but, in my first pick up team that was all, er, old enough to drink, I used one of the more mild words in chat that triggered the profanity filter, which I didn't know was controlled by an options setting. I thought it was so neat, the next time the team leader was talking to the contact, I decided to test it out, until one of the other team members asked what the **** I was doing. :)
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

goodtime

• Boss
    • my videos
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2013, 01:28:58 AM »
Oh, really early on the middle of the road wasn't safe, but I think they cleaned up the spawn locations so that it would be. 

Back in the olden days with separate metrolink lines and no travel powers until L14, and never having enough INF on your lowbies 'cause trading was a pain.