Author Topic: As a Newb, what funny blunders did you commit?  (Read 16350 times)

Von Krieger

• Evil Emperor of German Chocolate
  • Boss
  • Silly Dragon
    • VK's FurAffinity Page
Re: As a Newb, what funny blunders did you commit?
« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2013, 04:02:40 AM »
Did anyone else make the treacherous journey across Steel Canyon to get to the tailor?  Or just me? If you stayed in the middle of the road you were safe for the most part.

I did, until I learned that the one in IP could be gotten to quickly and easily.

clancyclown

• Underling
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2013, 05:08:00 AM »
I joined COH two weeks after launch, in those days there was a lot of extreme lag and rubber-banding.  I went to Perez Park for the first time and was solo.  It was late, I was very tired.  Soon I was getting the snot beaten out of me. I repeatedly pushed what I thought was the heal inspiration but the screen had frozen.  My thought was that I would heal and run away.  To my horror, the lag spike ended with a repeating image of my toon dying and rezzing over and over again.  I had mistakenly bought and used rez inspirations.

In those days the penalty for dying was pretty harsh.  I was so disgusted with the stupidity and enormous experience debt that I abandoned that toon and made a joke character and Clancy Clown was born.  Eventually I met some great people and stuck with the game long enough to like it.

srmalloy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2013, 04:29:46 PM »
I spent all my influence every time I leveled, just to fill my characters with training inventions, thinking they would make me a total badass  :D

For a few of my early characters, the group of friends I played with and I obsessed about keeping our enhancements green or blue, to the point where we'd wind up buying a second and third complete set of SOs to combine before we could upgrade to the next tier of SOs, just to keep ourselves tweaked out as far as possible.

My characters' finances did much better once I realized that it was more effective in the long run to only upgrade when I could merge the next higher tier (i.e., waiting until 28 to add 30s, so I could merge them with the 25s I had) or jump to the next enhancement type (i.e., from DOs to SOs at 22), unless I'd gotten mergeable enhancements as drops.

TerminalVelocity

• Minion
« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2013, 06:20:58 PM »
Oh, really early on the middle of the road wasn't safe, but I think they cleaned up the spawn locations so that it would be. 

Back in the olden days with separate metrolink lines and no travel powers until L14, and never having enough INF on your lowbies 'cause trading was a pain.
Eh? The middle of the road was safe before the joined metrolink lines and earlier travel powers.
@Bullet Barrage
I left the forums with 1,337 post.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2013, 10:32:33 PM »
too many to count, but I remember when I caused I caused my 1st team wipe :D. a also remember when after a mission ended I ran all the way to the mission entry point; until someone about the exit button :)
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Stormy Weathermaker

• Minion
« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2013, 04:05:29 AM »
When I first jumped in to the game in April of 2007, someone advised me to have a primary power set to auto, so I did.  Now, keep in mind that at this point, this is the first MMO that I have attempted........ever!   I didn't know any better.  I was blind invited to a team, think there was only 3 or 4 of us.  Anyways, we were doing missions in Faultline (you remember Fusionette right? LOL)  Couldn't figure out why mobs were coming at us and we kept getting team wiped.  After the 5th wipe, someone asked me if I had a power on auto.  Obviously I responded with "yea...why?"  In big capital letters comes across my screen "TURN IT OFF....IT'S KILLING US!!!" 

Yep :-)  Lesson 1: Never set a primary or secondary to auto unless it's healing aura.....

Mouse-Man

• Minion
« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2013, 02:45:58 PM »
My very first character somehow ended up in Skyway at level 2. Had no idea that trains existed, so I hot footed it across the freeways trying to get my ass back to Galaxy without getting curb stomped by big freaking robots.

JKPhage

• Lieutenant
« Reply #47 on: September 23, 2013, 03:25:28 PM »
I took Hover.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2013, 04:03:22 PM »
I remember a guy who teamed with me who exclusively used hover to get everywhere....he certainly didn't get to level 14 anytime soon to get flight..admittedly some friends told me "don't get your travel till later"....ugh I hated that, my later toons always had something far sooner for it.  I suspect I still got my travel long before him though with the fact it took him FOREVER to get to the missions...
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Night-Hawk07

• Elite Boss
« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2013, 07:34:55 PM »
I was quite proud of myself once I figured out Hover + GvE jet pack = normal flight speed. For 30 seconds, anyway.

And I also made the treacherous journey to SC for the tailor at all of about level 5 or so. I really didn't like my first costume...

Optimus Dex

• Boss
« Reply #50 on: September 23, 2013, 10:37:56 PM »
I remember getting hover and navigating the Hollows for the first time and thinking wow I'm going to get to live.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 12:49:47 AM by Optimus Dex »

MindBlender

• Boss
  • My Main was a healer, wish he was here now.
« Reply #51 on: September 24, 2013, 04:28:31 AM »
Low level and OVER using Absorb Pain til I died.   :o
All my computer skill was used up on my Commodore 64 decades ago...

Justice Blues

• Minion
« Reply #52 on: September 25, 2013, 02:23:52 AM »
Low level and OVER using Absorb Pain til I died.   :o

That was actually fun to do in Atlas under the statue when there were a bunch of new players around. They didn't know what happened, but you were lying there dead.  ;D

goodtime

• Boss
    • my videos
« Reply #53 on: September 25, 2013, 03:36:57 AM »
That was actually fun to do in Atlas under the statue when there were a bunch of new players around. They didn't know what happened, but you were lying there dead.  ;D
I have a screenshot somewhere of a character named The Suicidal One lying in the lower level near all the contacts in Atlas Park City Hall.  I laughed.

goodtime

• Boss
    • my videos
« Reply #54 on: September 25, 2013, 03:39:32 AM »
This, probably too many times to remember.   At least it was the olden days of May, 2005.

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #55 on: September 25, 2013, 03:55:27 AM »
It isn't really funny, kind of sad really, but I didn't realize there was a mission exit button until my first character was around level 10.

HarvesterOfEyes

• Lieutenant
  • Mine is to collect from the wicked.
« Reply #56 on: September 26, 2013, 06:37:30 AM »
Before there was such a thing as ICON, I made a character without unclicking the "link colors" button, so his hair was the same blue as his costume.

Before there were respecs, I took Teleportation as my travel power.

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
« Reply #57 on: September 27, 2013, 08:05:59 PM »
My first day: I got lost in Atlas Park. I kept trying to complete my mission but getting killed and lost and didn't realize I needed to train so when I finally figured it out I went all the way to 4th level.

Other mistake; selling luck charms to vendors instead of the market.

Best.Day. Ever!!!!
AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!

MaidMercury

• Elite Boss
« Reply #58 on: September 28, 2013, 11:47:29 PM »
I joined COH two weeks after launch, in those days there was a lot of extreme lag and rubber-banding.

I HATED rubber banding...uggg, having to run all over again to a destination.....I never noticed it watching over players, though.

I did remember having to wait on an occaisional player to arrive after opening a door to a mission....we'd tap our toes.
I can't imagine people played thru a modem.

Ohioknight

• Celebrating Columbus Day
  • Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
« Reply #59 on: September 29, 2013, 01:20:34 AM »
How did everybody else on the mission get out already... I'm still running back to the mission entrance!  What? you're at the next mission, I still have 3 floors to go before I get out!
"Wow, a fat, sarcastic, Star Trek fan, you must be a devil with the ladies"