Author Topic: That One AT...  (Read 23023 times)

Safehouse

• Elite Boss
  • Sometimes it's harder to let go than to hold on.
    • My Deviantart
That One AT...
« on: April 23, 2013, 04:12:55 PM »
So a question occurred to me today and I thought I'd ask it here: which archetype(s), for you, just didn't seem to click when you played it? What I mean is, there was not a single archetype I disliked, let alone hated.

However I could never keep my interest in the mastermind archetype. I didn't dislike it, I even rolled an MM ( heehee matt miller; self joke) or two. I just... lost interest quickly and never got very far.

Meanwhile, with Kheldians, I got great EXCITING ideas, but my interest similarly fizzled.

My account was littered with blasters and tankers - really enjoyed both a lot.

When MM (I mean Matt Miller for real here) said in the post mortem that they'd been working on the striker AT (melee/range) I yelled at my computer. I probably would have been all over that, and my favorite toon would've benefitted from being a striker...

But again I don't mean favorite/least favorite AT... just that one that you wanted to try but lost interest in
Name: Safehouse     Origin: Magic
Powers: Energy Blast/Electricity Manipulation/Flame Mastery/Teleportation
Security Level: 50+
Last Seen: Wandering the empty streets of the evacuated Paragon City.

Night-Hawk07

• Elite Boss
Re: That One AT...
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 05:25:38 PM »
Anything other than Scrapper/Stalker and Tank/Brute. I had a Mastermind and a few Blasters, but never felt quite right playing them.

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 05:33:13 PM »
I could never really 'get' Controllers. Don't get me wrong, they were great to team with, and I loved their locking the enemy down and their supportive abilities (or debuffative... that's not a word...) but if I played one I just felt like I was a mastermind with 7 pets if I had a full team.

Never really felt good playing MMs either, I wanted to be the one throwing the punches. I was happy to support them (even during the time when Magisterium trials nerfed you for having MMs, I insisted on playing with them anyway) but I never felt good being one. I recall one bots/ff Mastermind netted me a MoITF and MoTLG badge on the same night, so they'll always have my approval in the hands of those who know how to keep them out of my doorways! :)
Woo! - Argent Girl

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 05:50:28 PM »
While I tried others, Masterminds were the only ones that did "click" for me.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 05:57:09 PM »
COntrollers.

Since I was a solo player most of the time, controllers just didnt work. Good control, but terrible damage. It's like the choices became down to illusion if I wanted any sort of damage. Granted though, this was before all the fancy IOs and recipe stuff when I tried it. Even after, probably wouldnt made much difference as I didnt have billions to spend anyways. It was a very slow roll solo especially compared to the dominator who locked down mobs just as well, did more damge, cool secondaries that wasnt near useless solo, and had a way to be immune to holds and the likes with domination when fights got tough and guaranteed mob boss losck down with domination at the click of button., unlike the controller in CoT maps where the extra hold mag never hit at the proper moment for me and usually I end up running around trying to not get one shotted by the boss and hoping to keep it held down while I wittle the health down slowly.

Controller may not be an issue much on a more populated server but at the time was on Victory, and overseas meaning I ended up catching every time but peak so no choice but to solo most of the times and needed a toon that could solo efficiently and team ok, for those rare occasions I could find a team. The controller just didnt cut it for me.

Blasters were ok just too squishy in most situations and my playstyle. MMs were good, I liked them until I got bored of the low hp and ambushes homing in on me and not being able to withstand much damage but this was tried when they first hit, heard they came out with body guard to toughen them up later. Although even with bodyguard, the hp too low.

I mostly stuck with tanks/brutes. Scrappers were good but felt like a brute with less hp and didnt hit a hard as the levels of fury I usually maintained. The crits didnt come often at all. 5% in COX might as well meant 0.005% chance for me.  So scrappers were a bit overshadowed in my stable by brutes, more hp and guranteed damage. None of that luck based extra damage with seems to happen only on minions with a sliver of health hand wasting that crit and not on bosses and AVs I needed to take down fairly quick before they take me down. Unfortunately I have no data on the actual crit thing or if I was jsut bugged. But last time I seen someone post data after they said they wasnt critting much, even les than me it seemed, they got flamed so I figured after seeing that, there would be no point in going there. The community didnt seem receptive of talking about that as it seemed the system was infallible. Even though I think it's very possible to not crit very often so I didnt makea fuss about it. Besides 5-10% isnt much. It means with each roll, there is a 90-95% chance of not critting. The chances of being in serious car crash is about 30% and I havent been in one yet. While some individuals been in dozens. And here we are talking about 5% so I didnt think much of it and just assumed that crits were not likely to happen and chose the brute where the damge is alot easier to calculate and I know exactly when and how that damage will do.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 06:11:54 PM by JaguarX »

Absolute

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 07:18:43 PM »
VEATS

I just felt as if I could run a Claw/SR scrapper (for NW) or Psi/Dev/Ice blaster (Fort) instead.

Then I saw spiders as either weird stalkers or weird MMs.

I was fine with peacebringers for the most part. They were like another type of blaster. With that recent buff, they started to actually outshine a lot of other ATs. I don't think most people knew the potential PBs had at the end.

Warshades, on the other hand, were just plain broken looking back. Sure they had their flaws but the stats you could gain on it, especially in a recharge+defense IO builds, was crazy. It was probably the hardest AT to use to its full potential, and maybe that's the only reason it was allowed. Highest skill cap ever. Even at level 44 with SOs I'd sometimes show up the IO'd builds.

I also didn't like how VEATS had to reach level 24 to start their big transformation, but HEATS had level 6 + level 20 for theirs.

adarict

• Boss
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2013, 07:34:22 PM »
I could never get into ANY of the villain archetypes.  The best I did was got a Mastermind up to around 45.  Hero-side, I pretty much always gravitated back to Defenders or Scrappers.  I kept trying to stick out a Blaster to 50, but I think he topped out at 40.  I WANTED to have a kick ass blaster, but I was so used to my playstyle as a Defender or a Scrapper, that Blasters pretty much spent most of their time on the floor when I played them.

Peacebringers and Warshades were an AT that I REALLY wanted to like.  They just were too complicated for me.  Needing a bunch of binds/macros to be really effective, and the fact that they never seemed quite as good at anything as the dedicated ATs.  They were just a cool AT that I couldn't get into.  Yes, I know they weren't ACTUALLY all that difficult to use, but again, after spending untold hours on my Kat/Reg scrapper and my Emp/Elec sapper, I just didn't feel all that super playing them.

Ultraamann

• Minion
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2013, 07:44:45 PM »
Defenders.  I made many many defenders, and they just never lasted.  I only ever got two up to 50, and i think those were the only two i even managed to get out of the 20s.  I just couldn't do defendering.

Now tankers on the other hand... I'll tank all day long and twice on sunday.

Garble

• Boss
  • Shy Weirdo
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2013, 07:52:27 PM »
My first "main" toon was a Blaster and he was also basically my last.

For me, the damage just wasn't enough to make up for the complete lack of everything else, and so it was just frustratingly difficult to play.

Also, only ever played one Defender. I felt more like a babysitter than a hero and found myself getting annoyed at teammates who didn't stay *right* next to me.

Corruptors, however, seemed to hit the right medium for me. So I ended up rolling a lot of them when new Ranged and Support sets came out.

Safehouse

• Elite Boss
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2013, 08:37:41 PM »
I can definitely relate to the blaster issues. With all of my love of the blaster, I learned quickly that rolling one the wrong way (powersets, etc) or using IOs/SOs unwisely could turn them from the "glass cannon" archetype into just plain "glass." The result is that blasters can feel kind of hit or miss (sometimes literally) - some builds I spent more time focused on enhancing range/accuracy/endurance than on offense/recharge.

Tankers meanwhile, I loved almost as much as blasters. There was nothing to me like diving headfirst into a mob and causing serious mayhem (or in hero terms, opposite of that). And it was nice to be able to deal some damage, without having the fragility of a scrapper (acknowledging that scrappers weren't necessary "fragile," just moreso than tankers). Scrappers were pretty fun in that respect too - not as much mob capability but still fun damage potential.

I can totally relate to the EAT aspect, both H and V. I always felt like I was SUPPOSED to really like them and I was SUPPOSED to be all about rolling them, and as I said, sometimes I got really excited about Peacebringer and Arachnos soldier options. I had one character storyline where my soldier was a high ranking member of Arachnos, and then switched over to the side of good, taking the tech that he had with him. It was not as fun as I would have liked. I also think I built my Arachnos soldier wrong because he spent the vast majority of time in the hospital.

I had a couple pretty intense defenders - they were pretty neat to me :)

I had one controller - not that I didn't enjoy using it! This archetype actually clicked nicely for me. But, I was a pretty shy player and only teamed up rarely. I didn't roll my first controller until a couple months before the shutdown was announced when I started to come out of my shell a bit more. I loved playing him and regret not trying out controllers earlier on (illusion/time actually worked REALLY well).

JWBullfrog

• Elite Boss
  • I didn't leave Paragon City. They threw me out!
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2013, 08:53:35 PM »
I never could get the hang of either of the Kheldians. Nothing against them, they just never clicked. Rarely did they get past lv 15 for me.
As long as somebody keeps making up stories for it, the City isn't gone.

Safehouse

• Elite Boss
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2013, 08:57:59 PM »
I never could get the hang of either of the Kheldians. Nothing against them, they just never clicked. Rarely did they get past lv 15 for me.

Same here - I always wanted to get to high enough level to go into lobster mode. I only think I managed that once, and I don't think I got a single one to 50.

Aura Controller

• Minion
  • "Hey, is there room in that head for one more?"
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2013, 09:22:55 PM »
In the early years I could not stand to play blasters, then a few years past and I couldn't stand to play tanks even though I was good at the job (And got a lot of compliments >.> <.<) Then I eventually met a guy called Xion and took after him. Don't worry so much about the AT but about the char, what fits them best blaster, tank, scrapper etc etc.
http://www.youtube.com/user/AccidentalPsychopath

Look I'm on YouTube!
Is it OK to advertise that down here? O.o
Also does anyone ever read these?

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2013, 09:28:13 PM »
Tankers. I forced myself into the low 30s with one. If I'm playing melee, I'd rather be a brute (almost as survivable with more damage capabilities) or scrapper (moderately survivable with potentially WAY more damage).

Stalkers. I also forced myself into the low 30s with one. I didn't get back to her after the last round of changes; it might have changed my mind with her but I had already mentally and emotionally moved on.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Chance Jackson

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2013, 09:31:49 PM »
Tanks, Controllers and Blasters, but I was warming up to tanks with my Toon "Hot Blooded Youth" after they proliferated MA to them
Chance Jackson was my Global, I mostly played on Triumph Toons: LIEGE CHEETATRON X - Bots/Traps/Mu lvl 50 +3; DOWN RIGHT FIERCE - SJ/Fire/Soul Brute lvl 50 +3; FIGHT OF YOUR LIFE -KM/Nin/Fire Stalker lvl 50 +3; TIME MAY CHANGE ME - Time/Sonic/Dark; INFERNAL SAMURAI - DB/Fire/Fire lvl 50 +3 replaced by "NITORYU" - DB/WP probably a brute; THUNDEROUS BRUTE - Elec/Shield Scrapper; And Many More!

Minotaur

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2013, 10:04:24 PM »
I struggled with MMs, finally got a 50 when demons came out, long after I'd got all the others, most of them several times over.

I ended up with a double figure number of 50 tanks, scrappers and brutes with varying numbers of the other ATs, the only singles were MM, PB, WS, Widow I think.

Tanklet

• Boss
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2013, 10:18:00 PM »
I only really 'clicked' with controllers. I LOVED being a controller. I had more of them than I did anything else, though I didn't have problems with most other ATs

VEATS I couldn't really click with. At all. Warshades I also couldn't really click with. And I was never really a fan of being squishy when on a blaster.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2013, 10:28:29 PM »
You know, I played a semi-petless MM. Found out petless MMs were mostly frown upon. Hell MMs in general it seemsed on teams. I'm not sure what other MMs do to tick off players or what or I just got lucky and always found easy going people or people that was tooo busy smashing stuff to notice what I was doing in the corner air running (DCing). Or when I had pets out, I had very good control of them and good situtiational awareness as many times people actually complimented me on that aspect and I just reply thanks just doing my job.

It was RP mostly where they only called out the pets when they needed "back up".

Although I think I got question one time on a team. "Are you a petless MM?"

My reply: "Yes, I am. I am my own man, I can stand on my own."

Their reply: :(

So the mission went on things melting away, buffing people and shooting, buffing people some more shooting.

Someone at some point: "thanks for the buff. Most petless MMs dont take their buffs."
My reply: Thanks. I said I was petless, not useless.
Their reply: lol.

Then get to the Hero.

So I called out all my pets and the gang war.

Someone: WTF! I thought you was petless?"

My Reply: "I'm a villain. I lied."

Their reply: LMAO.

Safehouse

• Elite Boss
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2013, 10:32:10 PM »
In the early years I could not stand to play blasters, then a few years past and I couldn't stand to play tanks even though I was good at the job (And got a lot of compliments >.> <.<) Then I eventually met a guy called Xion and took after him. Don't worry so much about the AT but about the char, what fits them best blaster, tank, scrapper etc etc.

Yah I had a char who was an elec/regent scrapper. I'd read a bit of criticism of elec melee, but I loved him! That said, I never could do masterminds even when I had awesome character ideas. It was strange to me

Safehouse

• Elite Boss
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2013, 10:35:22 PM »
Tanks, Controllers and Blasters, but I was warming up to tanks with my Toon "Hot Blooded Youth" after they proliferated MA to them

Wait I totally think I saw you once! That name is mighty familiar