Author Topic: That One AT...  (Read 23025 times)

Floride

• Elite Boss
  • Badgehunter Extraordinaire
Re: That One AT...
« Reply #140 on: September 18, 2013, 05:52:22 AM »
I was having much the same problem in reverse with my Archery/TA Corruptor; I'd wanted to see if the powerset combination was better with Archery as the primary than with a TA/Arch Defender (whom I'd gotten to 50 at the cost of about 80% team play after about the mid-30s), but despite having all kinds of flexibilty with soft controls, she never really had the outright damage to stand on her own; it got better after I got her to 22 and could stuff her full of SOs, but she still underperformed compared to my other Corruptors. And redside being underpopulated meant that I was going to have to flip her blueside to get decent teaming, and I never got around to it before shutdown; there didn't really seem to be any point in making the effort for a character I wasn't going to be able to see through to 50.

Yeah, most of my dark/dark 'fender's levels were made during events when peeps just wanted to go nuts on ol' Snaptooth.
The one AT I never did roll was a Corruptor. I always figured I'd have time to roll one eventually.
History shows again and again
How nature points out the folly of men

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #141 on: September 18, 2013, 04:22:46 PM »
I think I managed to do okay with most of the archetypes. being ambidextrous and having the type of brain that comes along with that probably helps in being able to pay the trinity of close in, ranged and support equally well. But I just never ever got the hang of pets. Being able to manage my own powers, manage my pet's powers and targeting, and monitor my health just seemed to elude me. I enjoyed watching other people who herded masses of demons, robots, or zombies with ease, but I just never was able to do it myself.
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

Yoru-hime

• Minion
« Reply #142 on: September 18, 2013, 05:13:37 PM »
I really tried to love my dark/dark defender. She had a killer backstory, and a fantastic name. But she was totally unsoloable until about 25. Even then it was a grind, at least for me (I was partial to scraps and tanks).
But I miss her just as much as the rest of my toons.

My dark/dark def was always my favorite, but I can understand this. Soloing a Dark/dark takes some patience, particularly at low levels when your pet hasn't shown up yet and protections are still maturing. Even at high levels, it's more of a slow, steady, but safe progression rather than death personified (Incarnate powers aside). For just unleashing raw destruction solo, I went with a scrapper, but for turning almost any team into a pantheon of gods and an AV into a sniveling infant, the dark/dark was my character of choice.

Floride

• Elite Boss
  • Badgehunter Extraordinaire
« Reply #143 on: September 19, 2013, 05:40:30 AM »
My dark/dark def was always my favorite, but I can understand this. Soloing a Dark/dark takes some patience, particularly at low levels when your pet hasn't shown up yet and protections are still maturing. Even at high levels, it's more of a slow, steady, but safe progression rather than death personified (Incarnate powers aside). For just unleashing raw destruction solo, I went with a scrapper, but for turning almost any team into a pantheon of gods and an AV into a sniveling infant, the dark/dark was my character of choice.
Oh yeeaaah. When my dark/dark fender was on a Giant Monster hunt once, sidekicked to level 49, I realized dark/dark was quite possibly the coolest of all support toons. If I had started her out just following around some tank in the Hollows instead trying to solo her, in hindsight, I would've realized how immensely cool dark/dark really was.
History shows again and again
How nature points out the folly of men

Stormy Weathermaker

• Minion
« Reply #144 on: September 20, 2013, 03:58:47 AM »
I tried a scrapper a few times....forced myself to bring them up to lvl 20 (didn't matter the combo)  I just could stay interested in them.  I've played fire blasters, fire tankers....they were fun for sure....but my fav is controller.  After I built my controller (illusion/storm) the way I wanted, I could solo.  Took her to the arena and competed against sg mates to see where strength and weaknesses were....went to PvP....never was a match for a stalker.....assassin strike wins every time.....