Author Topic: That One AT...  (Read 23042 times)

Stratoburst

• Minion
Re: That One AT...
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2013, 10:58:44 PM »
I did not play redside except to get a corrupter to 20 so I could roll a widow.  Had fun with that one.

So - the hardest for me to get into was the MM.  Tried twice on blueside, never could quite get into it.

Next was the tanker.  I did manage to push one to 50 (Golden Eve, invul/kinetic, Virtue server).  Could take a ridiculous amount of punishment - at the top of hill in the ITF where you save Sister Solaris, all my teammates took a dirt nap during the Black Dwarf attack.  I was still standing when they had come back from their hospital runs.  8)  What I didn't like was the decided lack of offensive punch.

Next was the Controller.  Again, the lack of offense.  However, I did roll a Psi/Mind Dominator (Mindful One, Virtue), and had a blast with that - I got to be a controller AND a blaster at the same time!  Story:  was on a team with 4 dominators (including myself), 3 controllers, and a defender.  Went through the opposition like a buzzsaw through butter!

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2013, 11:04:47 PM »
Scrappers and Stalkers.. tried several.. never liked em.. very boring...

Shenku

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2013, 11:39:30 PM »
I would have to say the one that never clicked for me was my Warshade, which was rather sad because I loved her concept(Nictus mascrading as a Warshade to help hide her evil plots from Paragon's heroes...), but I just couldn't get myself into playing her because of the finicky way that the powers worked combined with no form of flight to help with teleporting around when experiencing heavy lag(pre-mayhem temp travel powers)...

I rolled my Warshade (Ruby Nova) and my Peacebringer (Saphire Nova, and yes her name was misspelled, but the spelling grew on me for some reason...) around the same time when I first unlocked Kheldians just before CoV launched, and I managed to get Saphire to 50 after around a year. Ruby however only made it to about level 14, stalled out, was deleted and rerolled, made it up to 20, then stalled out again and was virtually abandoned for the better part of 3-4 years...

I tried jumping back onto her every now and then to try and get her some levels, especially after Going Rogue with the intention of having her go Red side, but without a good team to keep momentum going, she just wasn't fun, and teams were hard to find with her for some odd reason I could never figure out...

Personally, I blame Vanguard and their anti-alien propaganda ads for the prejudices my Kheldians suffered when looking for teams!

Optimus Dex

• Boss
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2013, 12:13:06 AM »
Controlers, Warshades and Defenders . I had a 50 in eveything but them had a lot of alts spread over MM, srappers , blasters , widows , soldiers and Pb's and brutes.

Brightfires

• Elite Boss
  • ... is *NOT* Groot
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2013, 12:15:22 AM »
Controllers and Warshades, for me...
I had at least one of everything else that I'd played to 50, including a couple of Dominators and a pair of Peacebringers, but both of my Controllers (One Kin/Illusion and one all-about-the-Fire) ended up stalled in their 30's and mostly abandoned. The shade didn't even make it that far.

With the controllers, I've never been sure quite what the problem was. I "got" crowd control well enough (Favoring Dark for defenders and corruptors teaches you all kinds of things about that...  ;D), and I had a great time with my Electric and Mind/Psi doms, but something about the controllers just never quite hit the same level of fun. Eventually I made peace with that and stuck to other ATs.

For the warshade, I can pinpoint EXACTLY what I didn't like. It was too dependant on form-switching, and that didn't really fit my play-style. While I often bounced between two forms with my main PBs (They were both bi-form builds... one human/dwarf and one human/nova-), for some reason adding a third into the mix (One that was more or less required to get certain effects to work properly-) made playing my shade feel very choppy and disjointed. I saw what other people were able to do with them, so I know that the constant shifting was useful, but I didn't find it particularly fun to manage in practice.
Taker of screenshots. Player of bird-things.

Safehouse

• Elite Boss
  • Sometimes it's harder to let go than to hold on.
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2013, 12:37:05 AM »
I did not play redside except to get a corrupter to 20 so I could roll a widow.  Had fun with that one.

So - the hardest for me to get into was the MM.  Tried twice on blueside, never could quite get into it.

Next was the tanker.  I did manage to push one to 50 (Golden Eve, invul/kinetic, Virtue server).  Could take a ridiculous amount of punishment - at the top of hill in the ITF where you save Sister Solaris, all my teammates took a dirt nap during the Black Dwarf attack.  I was still standing when they had come back from their hospital runs.  8)  What I didn't like was the decided lack of offensive punch.

Next was the Controller.  Again, the lack of offense.  However, I did roll a Psi/Mind Dominator (Mindful One, Virtue), and had a blast with that - I got to be a controller AND a blaster at the same time!  Story:  was on a team with 4 dominators (including myself), 3 controllers, and a defender.  Went through the opposition like a buzzsaw through butter!

Ohhh the widows... those were fun! I really liked that - the helmet that totally covered the head was really neat to me. And the dominators were so fun! Mind/Psi kicked serious butt! I also had gravity/energy, which was surprisingly difficult to level while also being a TON of fun. Nothing like throwing around cars with Propel while using the knockback/down/everywhere effects of energy assault to give added kick.
Name: Safehouse     Origin: Magic
Powers: Energy Blast/Electricity Manipulation/Flame Mastery/Teleportation
Security Level: 50+
Last Seen: Wandering the empty streets of the evacuated Paragon City.

Menrva Channel

• Boss
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2013, 12:41:32 AM »
My primaries were my favorite: elec/elec blaster and elec/storm corr. Both were well loved, although the corr got a little more love. He was the favorite I think. :/

houtex

• Elite Boss
  • I was the turkey all along! MEE!
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2013, 01:54:03 AM »
HEATs, VEATs, MMs and Stalkers all just didn't agree with me. 

Omega Force 1990

• Minion
  • Police Officer, National Guardsman
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2013, 02:01:58 AM »
I was a solo player, so I never enjoyed controllers.  I think I got one to the mid teens.  I never tried stalkers because of all the negative publicity they had on the forums, wasn't interested in warshades because they teleported instead of flew, and never had a decent concept for dominators. 

When MM (I mean Matt Miller for real here) said in the post mortem that they'd been working on the striker AT (melee/range) I yelled at my computer. I probably would have been all over that, and my favorite toon would've benefitted from being a striker...
That has been bugging me since the loregasm.  How is that different than a blaster?

Safehouse

• Elite Boss
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2013, 02:32:55 AM »
I was a solo player, so I never enjoyed controllers.  I think I got one to the mid teens.  I never tried stalkers because of all the negative publicity they had on the forums, wasn't interested in warshades because they teleported instead of flew, and never had a decent concept for dominators. 
That has been bugging me since the loregasm.  How is that different than a blaster?

Well from what I heard on the post mortem was that the striker would have melee as the primary powerset and blasting as secondary. It would still have fairly high offensive capabilities but would balance out a lot of the other stats in a way that blasters did. I like to think I could have had a super strength/energy blast striker if the AT had ever come out

MaidMercury

• Elite Boss
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2013, 04:12:44 AM »
I was awful at designing my Heroine when I started. I did not understand IO's, pairs, powers well.
Took me a year or two. Went through characters, deleting my share.
Then I created I studied up on crafting, IO's, advantages of sets of the same, etc. Mids helped a little.
I spent billions in influence for rare recipes, asked fellow players for advice...

I found my niche' with Defender/Healer.
She was squishier than soggy Lucky Charms marshmallows, nil as offense...I didn't bother Battling.
Earned, filled incarnate powers up to Hybrid...(although Hybrid was, kind of useless)
My clockwork were my body guards.  8)
Venus could rez people one after another in very short time periods, Heal from long distances, TP friends/foes.
Hamidon seemed to get ticked off at this ability and shot rays at me more than other heroes....least it felt like that.
I was often told to heal the cannon fodder- i mean,  :roll: Tanker in Statesman Task force against Lord Recluse's attacks.

Golden Girl

• One Liners and Winky Faces
  • Elite Boss
    • Heroes and Villains
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2013, 04:13:47 AM »
Anything that wasn't an MA/Regen Scrapper :P
"Heroes and Villains" website - http://www.heroes-and-villains.com
"Heroes and Villains" on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
"Heroes and Villains" on Twitter - https://twitter.com/Plan_Z_Studios
"Heroes and Villains" teaser trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnjKqNPfFv8
Artwork - http://goldengirlcoh.deviantart.com

Safehouse

• Elite Boss
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2013, 04:19:49 AM »

I liked playing just about any /regen scrapper. Never got to try MA though, now that I think about it

MindBlender

• Boss
  • My Main was a healer, wish he was here now.
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2013, 04:51:11 AM »
I never took to being a blaster.  I could handle any other AT.  I had my fire/fire tank IOd up and he was as powerful a killer as most of my scraps.  My stone/stone tank could handle anything thrown at him (well, not 8 Doms...they took me out...had to love RV). 

It took me 5 years to get a blaster to 50 and I hated every minute of it.  It was my son's first toon he made at age 7, so I had to see it through eventually. 

As for MMs, I found bots to be the best minions and quickly made level 50 solo. 

Had both Khelds and did not spend enough time on them.  VEATS were next on my list, but never made it into my stable of alts.
All my computer skill was used up on my Commodore 64 decades ago...

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2013, 04:58:55 AM »

You've got to admire the kind of focus it takes to only ever play one character. I mean I don't share it, or understand it, and I may not even be physically capable of it... but I respect it. Props, girl. :)

I found my niche' with Defender/Healer.
She was squishier than soggy Lucky Charms marshmallows, nil as offense...I didn't bother Battling.

Yeah I had an emp that ran pretty much exactly that way. Her name was London Rain, empathy/energy. When Water Blast came out I just had to reroll her - to fit the name better, of course ;)   Best choice I ever made! She was so much stronger as empathy/water. I street swept her to 19 in just a few hours, and when I hit Talos I was soloing full spawns of +4 and +5 Warriors with only a few insps to help out. It was glorious.   ...Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure they would've nerfed that after a while. That doesn't seem like something an empathy defender should be able to do.

As for me, the straightforward ATs were the ones that clicked. Scrappers and blasters made up two thirds of my roster, with the rest being one or two of each other kind except Doms or MMs. Never got into MMs; keeping track of them and keeping them fixed up and buffed just always seemed like more effort than fun to me. That's probably why support types never really took either. Just point me at something and let me go whoop its butt already, sheesh! But as time went on and I started to understand the mechanics better I was giving them more of a chance. I had one controller, a gravity that I kept around purely for Propel, and when I finally rebuilt her she felt amazingly tougher and stronger. The difference was unbelievable. So I was prepping my archery defender and my time/beam corruptor for the same treatment. After that I would've gone on to give my EATs and VEATs a fair shake, and then maybe even try out a dominator and a MM.

I think it was having to actively track multiple targets and what effects I had already stacked on them and so forth. I'm a horrible multi-tasker, see. And I do mean horrible. So any playstyle that requires me to keep moving and switching targets and monitoring minions and actively blocking... that's just not gonna work for me. I've tried it, I'm not good at it, it's not fun for me... there's just no point.

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2013, 05:25:28 AM »
You know, I played a semi-petless MM. Found out petless MMs were mostly frown upon. Hell MMs in general it seemsed on teams. I'm not sure what other MMs do to tick off players or what or I just got lucky and always found easy going people or people that was tooo busy smashing stuff to notice what I was doing in the corner air running (DCing). Or when I had pets out, I had very good control of them and good situtiational awareness as many times people actually complimented me on that aspect and I just reply thanks just doing my job.

It was RP mostly where they only called out the pets when they needed "back up".

Although I think I got question one time on a team. "Are you a petless MM?"

My reply: "Yes, I am. I am my own man, I can stand on my own."

Their reply: :(

So the mission went on things melting away, buffing people and shooting, buffing people some more shooting.

Someone at some point: "thanks for the buff. Most petless MMs dont take their buffs."
My reply: Thanks. I said I was petless, not useless.
Their reply: lol.

Then get to the Hero.

So I called out all my pets and the gang war.

Someone: WTF! I thought you was petless?"

My Reply: "I'm a villain. I lied."

Their reply: LMAO.
You sir, are a true villain!

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2013, 05:27:51 AM »
I actually cannot say this, because I did play every AT, and enjoyed them. Now, I did not play them how people expected me to, for instance I ran a FF/Rad defender who was more tankmage than anything else. But I could find a way to play any AT.

LydiaFrost

• Minion
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2013, 09:30:41 AM »
I didnt play many chars and Im more a solo Player, but I gave up early on Controlers and Defenders.
I liked my Ninja/Storm MM wich was my first char to 50 and always did new Content first.
I made a Claw/Regen stalker that I liked and dual Blade/Acrobatics Brute. Somehow the Brute could do evrything.
The Stalker was practically the better Version of my Widow.
I had an Earth/earth Dominator, with a big Hammer, but that char was too powerless against Elite Bosses. I always got killed.
I liked my Corruptors too, but only touched them up near the end of the Game. I also tried the new Poserset for Blasters on Beta. I felt like an action Hero, shooting Pistols and going in with some Kicks. :-)

Lydia Frost MM

silvers1

• Boss
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2013, 11:31:27 AM »
In this order:
1.  Kheldians - instant "meh" when I tried one.
2.  Defenders - I'm just not into playing pure support
3.  Stalkers - Scrapper with invis > Stalker
4.  Masterminds - never could keep minions alive, and the "AI" of minions had me pulling my hair out.
When your blaster minion tries to tank, and the tank tries to blast ....  IMO the AT was unplayable.
--- Hercules - Freedom Server ---

Safehouse

• Elite Boss
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2013, 12:19:09 PM »
In this order:
1.  Kheldians - instant "meh" when I tried one.
2.  Defenders - I'm just not into playing pure support
3.  Stalkers - Scrapper with invis > Stalker
4.  Masterminds - never could keep minions alive, and the "AI" of minions had me pulling my hair out.
When your blaster minion tries to tank, and the tank tries to blast ....  IMO the AT was unplayable.

Hmmm what made you prefer the scrapper w/invis over the stalker? To me I preferred the stalker's stealth (well I always considered it invisibility in my characters' storylines, I had this one who was born with invisibility but developed the other powers later).

I didnt play many chars and Im more a solo Player, but I gave up early on Controlers and Defenders.
I liked my Ninja/Storm MM wich was my first char to 50 and always did new Content first.
I made a Claw/Regen stalker that I liked and dual Blade/Acrobatics Brute. Somehow the Brute could do evrything.
The Stalker was practically the better Version of my Widow.
I had an Earth/earth Dominator, with a big Hammer, but that char was too powerless against Elite Bosses. I always got killed.
I liked my Corruptors too, but only touched them up near the end of the Game. I also tried the new Poserset for Blasters on Beta. I felt like an action Hero, shooting Pistols and going in with some Kicks. :-)

Lydia Frost MM

I never got on board with the "hammer" or "sword" powers when it came to the elemental powersets. I always replaced those with other things, like pool powers and such. I was pretty much equal between the stalker and the widow, but I had more stalker ideas than widow ideas so i went with stalkers more.

Did you ever try to roll a grav/earth dominator? That experience was beastly!