Author Topic: NC West FB Page  (Read 19158 times)

Tanklet

• Boss
NC West FB Page
« on: April 03, 2013, 10:50:04 AM »
So, NC$oft West has decided to take action of their own, on their NA/EU Facebook page. Anyone posting anything about CoH gets ultimately banned & their comment removed.

Now, we're not talking flame war comments. We're talking about peaceful protests, simply stating that the still ever present CoH community will not patron NC$oft until they release/sell the IP. As it stands, they've disabled timeline posting, so commenting (while they allow it) is only on whatever they post (which hasn't been much since the shut down - I say GO US).

Take a look at their Wildstar post. You'll see somewhere along the lines of 120 comments, but only half of them are actually there because the rest were removed. There are a handful there now, but I don't expect those to last the day.

Why am I posting this? Not to incite a riot (plsz don't think that) ... What I'd like to know is what, if any action, we can take to continue to make our voices heard on that page, without violating Facebook's EULA and without turning our prominent movement into something bad.

If this thread is inappropriate, no worries, please remove it & let me know. I just like that our voices continue to be heard, and I see it as unfair that potential future victims of NC$oft are possibly being kept from knowing the true ramifications of putting any time or money into anything this company markets.

NC had their chance to be reasonable. They should suffer the consequences of their decision to do otherwise.

Thoughts?

PS - the NC East page is quite open and active with our posters. I say GO US!

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
  • Crime doesn't pay, evildoers!
    • CoH Faces Profile
Re: NC West FB Page
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 11:09:58 AM »
NC had their chance to be reasonable. They should suffer the consequences of their decision to do otherwise.

Thoughts?

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 11:28:21 AM »

Thoughts?

My thoughts are of COURSE they're pulling the comments down: Honey Badger just don't care. They are the boss and you, puny human worm of a player, had best not forget it.

Well, this is the 21st century and they are the ones who had best get used to the plebes speaking their minds. Stalin-era Russia is OVER. I'm not on FB, but just sayin'. If only deleting comments would change people's minds! Hahaha. Its pretty funny when you think about it.

Lightslinger

• Elite Boss
  • @Lightslinger, Virtue
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 01:39:48 PM »
Have comments been disabled or do they just disable them for the offenders? Because I'm pretty sure I got banned, I could see posts but not post on anything at their page.

Once I discovered that I unliked them, I had only liked them to begin with to pester them with CoH stuff :)

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 02:31:35 PM »
So, NC$oft West has decided to take action of their own, on their NA/EU Facebook page. Anyone posting anything about CoH gets ultimately banned & their comment removed.

Now, we're not talking flame war comments. We're talking about peaceful protests, simply stating that the still ever present CoH community will not patron NC$oft until they release/sell the IP. As it stands, they've disabled timeline posting, so commenting (while they allow it) is only on whatever they post (which hasn't been much since the shut down - I say GO US).

Take a look at their Wildstar post. You'll see somewhere along the lines of 120 comments, but only half of them are actually there because the rest were removed. There are a handful there now, but I don't expect those to last the day.

Why am I posting this? Not to incite a riot (plsz don't think that) ... What I'd like to know is what, if any action, we can take to continue to make our voices heard on that page, without violating Facebook's EULA and without turning our prominent movement into something bad.

If this thread is inappropriate, no worries, please remove it & let me know. I just like that our voices continue to be heard, and I see it as unfair that potential future victims of NC$oft are possibly being kept from knowing the true ramifications of putting any time or money into anything this company markets.

Thoughts?

Well it's like any other facebook in a way. If someone post something I don't like or not wanted on my page even if I agree with them or feel their pain, I remove it.

Do we have our own facebook page? If not is there plans to create one?

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 04:47:23 PM »
1st, I suspect former CoH players posted enough to drive other poster's comments off the page.

2nd, that page is a front to communicate with their customers.  It's a form of advertising in the social media age.  So called peaceful comments can be seen as the equivalent of defacing (to strong), modifying billboards to put out our message.  So they are forced to go out and scrub off our "graffiti".

3rd, we aren't their customers any more and therefore we are essentially intruders there.  Digital trespassers so to speak.  Would a restaurant or bar accept a peaceful protest where people occupy all the seats/tables and just order water?  This isn't comment bombing on a neutral site, this is comment bombing on their site.

The one negative aspect for the movement is we can start to look more and more like crackpots protesting like ... fluoride in water or owning pets (we can't own animals, we are merely caretakers) if we post bomb every message board or NCSOFT site that allows open comments about how we aren't going to buy their product anymore.

I think the notion of a FB page in protest is appropriate.  It would be like putting up our own billboard next to theirs or by a house across the street and paint it in rainbow colors.

However there may be a problem using any artwork, icons, possibly even screenshots from the game since legally they still all belong to NCSOFT.  If they want to get nasty about it then it could get messy, not just there but even here.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 05:21:55 PM »
3rd, we aren't their customers any more and therefore we are essentially intruders there.  Digital trespassers so to speak.  Would a restaurant or bar accept a peaceful protest where people occupy all the seats/tables and just order water?  This isn't comment bombing on a neutral site, this is comment bombing on their site.

Devil's advocate hat, for a minute: There are members of this community who still play NCSoft games and are still, therefore, customers. Those individuals are not intruders. They are paying customers. Would your "restaurant" accept a comment from a paying customer lamenting the loss of a favorite menu item?

As to whether there would be problems using artwork from the game, has anyone run afoul of NCSoft over fansites and fanpages still up? I'm asking honestly, here. I know that "New City of Heroes" one was taken down, but I also know they were reported for attempting to run a scam.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

HarvesterOfEyes

• Lieutenant
  • Mine is to collect from the wicked.
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 05:23:59 PM »
I say make your protest page, use their art and make them be the bad guy by forcing you to take it down. That's pitch-perfect Gandhi right there.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2013, 05:26:54 PM »
If they ding you for using copyrighted material, do you then replace it with a "banner" stating "image removed at the request/insistence of the copyright holder"? :)
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2013, 05:27:18 PM »
Devil's advocate hat, for a minute: There are members of this community who still play NCSoft games and are still, therefore, customers. Those individuals are not intruders. They are paying customers. Would your "restaurant" accept a comment from a paying customer lamenting the loss of a favorite menu item?

As to whether there would be problems using artwork from the game, has anyone run afoul of NCSoft over fansites and fanpages still up? I'm asking honestly, here. I know that "New City of Heroes" one was taken down, but I also know they were reported for attempting to run a scam.

I don't think they have yet but I think they could if the chose to. If not bothering them or antagonizing them they probably eont guve s crap. But then using their work in a work that is designed to steer their customers away on the biggest social network, then they might not take too kindly to that. Even facebook have a policy against using others works. It don't even have to be ncsoft to report it but can be a random person that may not care about us.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2013, 05:29:00 PM »
I say make your protest page, use their art and make them be the bad guy by forcing you to take it down. That's pitch-perfect Gandhi right there.
Not sure how it makes someone or something a villian for protecting their copyrighted works. How about we just create our own?

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2013, 05:29:17 PM »
I know that "New City of Heroes" one was taken down, but I also know they were reported for attempting to run a scam.

The website was, but the Facebook page wasn't.

The "main" site could have just as easily been removed for lack of payment as any other reason.

HarvesterOfEyes

• Lieutenant
  • Mine is to collect from the wicked.
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2013, 05:34:37 PM »
Not sure how it makes someone or something a villian for protecting their copyrighted works. How about we just create our own?
Anyone upholding standards or laws in modern society is the bad guy.

Gandhi understood this perfectly.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2013, 05:41:15 PM »
Anyone upholding standards or laws in modern society is the bad guy.

Gandhi understood this perfectly.
Hm.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2013, 07:16:15 PM »

No, but the OP's comment wasn't about poor service on a comment card that's only seen by management.  It's making a scene and drawing attention of other customers about it.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2013, 07:19:53 PM »
No, but the OP's comment wasn't about poor service on a comment card that's only seen by management.  It's making a scene and drawing attention of other customers about it.
yeah causing a scene in a restaurant usually result in ya removal from said establishment and probably not welcomed back.

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2013, 11:05:28 PM »
The website was, but the Facebook page wasn't.
??? Funny. When I tried to check on it a couple days ago, it was inaccessible and apparently scheduled for deletion.
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

Steele Magnolia

• Minion
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2013, 11:09:32 PM »
I've already been banned from pretty much everything NCSoft.

Tanklet

• Boss
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2013, 12:58:39 AM »
Have comments been disabled or do they just disable them for the offenders? Because I'm pretty sure I got banned, I could see posts but not post on anything at their page.

Once I discovered that I unliked them, I had only liked them to begin with to pester them with CoH stuff :)

Nope, comments aren't disabled across the board. Only for the offender.

All in all just curious if there was a way around that. I think it'd be nice to see just how long they can keep that up. At what point do they possibly realize that it's not worth the effort and either a) leave the comments up there or b) discontinue the page.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2013, 01:08:36 AM »
Nope, comments aren't disabled across the board. Only for the offender.

All in all just curious if there was a way around that. I think it'd be nice to see just how long they can keep that up. At what point do they possibly realize that it's not worth the effort and either a) leave the comments up there or b) discontinue the page.
Depends. They may tire but its probably someone's job to maintain that page. The other side at least with personal pages people got banned permanent rim facebook for doing stuff like that. It may or may not work same way for pages of that type.