Author Topic: Jack Emmert re: CoH - "Tell NCsoft to call me"  (Read 79902 times)

Lightslinger

• Elite Boss
  • @Lightslinger, Virtue
Re: Jack Emmert re: CoH - "Tell NCsoft to call me"
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2013, 04:30:50 PM »
I'm not sure how and don't have the time to try to figure it out at the moment, but if someone could make a youtube clip of just the part where they discuss CoH, especially the "call me" part, that would be fantastic for spreading the word around.

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2013, 04:43:58 PM »
I dont get the idea this person is speaking seriously. Nor do I see one company being willing to run BOTH CO and CoX.

This would truly be a devil's bargain. We'd have the game back, with some reeeeaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllllyyyyyyyyyyy unpleasant baggage: a guy who is proven very uncaring - even hostile - to/of his playerbase.

I will wait till we have a lot more information before one iota of hope is raised over here. If he were really serious, HE'D call NCS. Which I would not bet a dollar on him doing.

Rotten Luck

• Elite Boss
  • "I'd rather go out a hero than a coward."
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2013, 04:47:00 PM »
Witchcraft and Pocket D Warwitch wrestle around some!

IN JELLO!... Oh better yet Oil ... Hmm Toss in Mother Mayhem too!

But I'm with Illusionss.  Yeah the fact that the whole panel thinks the shutdown was dumb is great.  But... Jack be a questionable savor, and with both CO and CoX under one roof maybe not.  However some publishers do have more then one fantasy game under there belts.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 04:52:24 PM by Rotten Luck »
One way or another... Heroes will fly again!

Lightslinger

• Elite Boss
  • @Lightslinger, Virtue
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2013, 04:54:02 PM »
I dont get the idea this person is speaking seriously. Nor do I see one company being willing to run BOTH CO and CoX.

This would truly be a devil's bargain. We'd have the game back, with some reeeeaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllllyyyyyyyyyyy unpleasant baggage: a guy who is proven very uncaring - even hostile - to/of his playerbase.

I will wait till we have a lot more information before one iota of hope is raised over here. If he were really serious, HE'D call NCS. Which I would not bet a dollar on him doing.

So what would be wrong with aiming TF Hail Mary (or a similar effort) at a developer that at least expressed public interest in CoH? We don't know if he was serious or not, but it's more than Google or Disney ever did regarding CoH.

Maybe a nudge and a bit of support from the CoH players could convince Cryptic to get a little more serious about CoH with NCsoft. Who knows, seems to me its one of the best shots we've had yet.

The way I see it, Jack's gone on to build 2 (almost 3) MMOs since City of Heroes. No doubt he's changed and grown a lot. He's also the guy that created CoH, he gets a bit of a pass from me on that one. Looking at CoH in hindsight now, the changes he wanted were, for the most part, good for the game but poorly implemented and his "PR" abilities didn't help either.

Edit: I don't see CoH and CO being under one roof as a problem at all, they'd get to brag they run the top 2 superhero MMOs.

UruzSix

• Lieutenant
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2013, 05:00:36 PM »
Maybe a nudge and a bit of support from the CoH players could convince Cryptic to get a little more serious about CoH with NCsoft. Who knows, seems to me its one of the best shots we've had yet.

We've been nudging him to get a little more serious about CO. So far, nothing but vehicles and a new event every couple months.

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2013, 05:01:29 PM »
Because NCS is capricious - but so is he.

Really dont feel like any more caprice right now, we've been through enough. If this pans out, great. But I have severe doubts. CO is not exactly a well-pruned and artfully-fertilized tree, you know? Not at all.

Quinch

« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2013, 05:01:41 PM »
From my perspective, Jack had a bit of a bum rap. For all the flak and ridicule he got for "Statesman's Vision" {and to be fair, with his stubbornness I myself often joked it was a sweeping vista of his own GI tract}, he was the lead developer for CoH's early stages. For all the needless chores and annoying design decisions Matt, Melissa and all the other devs had to uproot for years since he left, all the awesome things CoH had, from sidekicks, costumes, power varieties and adaptivity were designed and implemented while he was in charge.

Credit where it's due - without Jack, City of Heroes as we know it would probably never have been.

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2013, 05:06:53 PM »
Well, but then enter ED and then a tidal-wave of player-hatred that swept a lot of people out of the game.

Things always seemed to run more smoothly after he left. Many of my favorite features came about after he left.

Don't get me wrong, I would deal with this devil in order to play my game. But he's still wearing horns.  8)

Lightslinger

• Elite Boss
  • @Lightslinger, Virtue
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2013, 05:10:24 PM »
Any ideas on how we can create some momentum from this? Here's my ideas:

-#CallJack - Combine this hashtag with your #SaveCoH tweets to raise awareness that Jack Emmert wants to talk to NCsoft about CoH.

-Edit the video - We need a youtube clip of the PAX panel, the specific part where they discussed no MMO should die, CoH was a great game, and finally Jack saying "Tell NCsoft to pick up the phone, I'm there." Some slick subtitles and we could spread that video around.

-Postcards - Eventually I'd like to see us design a postcard around the #CallJack campaign to write a personal message from each of us and why we want CoH back. Ideally each person would make 3 of these, one for Cryptic, one for NCwest and one for NCKorea. Basically a mini- TF Hail Mary.

Quinch

« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2013, 05:14:13 PM »
Well, but then enter ED and then a tidal-wave of player-hatred that swept a lot of people out of the game.

Things always seemed to run more smoothly after he left. Many of my favorite features came about after he left.

I came past-ED, I think - a little before Help channel, and it took me a while to learn how to tie my hero boots on, speaking metaphorically.

In hindsight, I see his role in CoH to be akin to airplane landing gear - it would have never taken off without him, but it couldn't really get going either until he got out of the way.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2013, 05:16:43 PM »
-Edit the video - We need a youtube clip of the PAX panel, the specific part where they discussed no MMO should die, CoH was a great game, and finally Jack saying "Tell NCsoft to pick up the phone, I'm there." Some slick subtitles and we could spread that video around.
All set to the tune of Call Me Maybe.  *rimshot*
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2013, 05:35:41 PM »
I added it to the original thread, but the PAXEast Twitch video, here, has better sound and video, though I had occasional issues with "skipping," but never more than a second. The fun begins at about 6:40:00 (it's a 14 hour video), that probably puts the CoH discussion at about 7:10:00.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Omega Mark V

• Boss
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2013, 05:37:54 PM »
All I can say is this:

I hope this leads to something good compared to something bad.

I personally do not really like how CO is being treated. It could really be something if it'd be treated well. If CoX has the same treatment... I don't want to think about it.

Not to mention I was not impressed by Cryptic's new D&D MMO in beta.
- Omega Mk. V

Golden Girl

• One Liners and Winky Faces
  • Elite Boss
    • Heroes and Villains
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2013, 05:54:25 PM »
I would instantly become a Jack Emmert fanboy and give him buckets of money.

As it would be run by Perfect World, you'd have to.
"Heroes and Villains" website - http://www.heroes-and-villains.com
"Heroes and Villains" on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
"Heroes and Villains" on Twitter - https://twitter.com/Plan_Z_Studios
"Heroes and Villains" teaser trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnjKqNPfFv8
Artwork - http://goldengirlcoh.deviantart.com

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2013, 06:21:34 PM »
For the record, I was never on the Jack hate train either.  I've defended him and the decisions he made in running the game many times.  Laypeople have little to no idea how hard it really is to design and run a fun and engaging game, one that has to be designed to last for years, probably over a decade or more if you're lucky, as well as the technical skill to actually execute on that plan successfully.  Was he always right?  Of course not, no one ever is.  But he had a really good track record, including making some hard decisions that he was highly criticized for but that I'm convinced saved the long-term health and well-being of the game.

If Perfect World were to acquire City of Heroes and development placed back under Cryptic's purview, that would make me extremely happy.

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2013, 06:42:44 PM »
For the record, I was never on the Jack hate train either.  I've defended him and the decisions he made in running the game many times.  Laypeople have little to no idea how hard it really is to design and run a fun and engaging game, one that has to be designed to last for years, probably over a decade or more if you're lucky, as well as the technical skill to actually execute on that plan successfully.  Was he always right?  Of course not, no one ever is.  But he had a really good track record, including making some hard decisions that he was highly criticized for but that I'm convinced saved the long-term health and well-being of the game.

If Perfect World were to acquire City of Heroes and development placed back under Cryptic's purview, that would make me extremely happy.
Hey, I'd not be against it.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2013, 06:46:02 PM »
Per this post in the Other Games section: http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,8156.msg111249.html#msg111249

At PAX East during a developer panel on the Future of Online Games a question was posed about games being shut down, CoH was cited and Jack Emmert looked to the Wildstar developer and said "Tell NCsoft to call me."

Now Jack could have been just talking but this is by far the best and most public attempt to get CoH yet. Not only that, but it's even being said by one of the most well known MMO developers in the industry and the CREATOR of City of Heroes.

Putting aside Jack hate (seriously, please don't derail with your ED problems, see a doctor), this could be the chance we've been waiting for. As a community we should latch on to this moment and appeal to NCsoft through multiple channels; CALL JACK EMMERT, WE WANT COH BACK.

I never knew Jack from any other Jack. I had dealings with Statesman though and didnt care for that prick. But Jack, dont know him. His statement may be as serious as a heart attack or about as serious as Krusty the Clown but time will tell. Given that he was high up in the day there, he might know someone that know someone that actually can get something and or talk some sense into NCSoft about what they had and shot down. Time will tell but a publci statement like that at an event like that puts COX on a bigger map. A map that I wish it was on when it was running. This is like Emily Dickinson (MS maybe). No one knew she wasa brilliant poet until after death. Except in this case, there is no worries about zombies besides the in game event.

Metal Mountain

• Minion
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2013, 07:27:15 PM »
Woop -  ol' States to the rescue!   ;D

If a jerk hacker is found, we reverse hack-jerk. -Pohsyb

Rotten Luck

• Elite Boss
  • "I'd rather go out a hero than a coward."
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2013, 07:29:59 PM »
If I can have City of Heroes back... I will do anything even watch all the twilight movies and get a Team Edward Tattoo.  Yeah I'm that despite.  I don't care if it gets in Jacks hands and for the rest of my life it's in maintenance mode and never get another update, I be happy.
One way or another... Heroes will fly again!

blacksly

• Elite Boss
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2013, 07:40:27 PM »

I always thought Jack got a bum rap.

ED was pretty necessary to game balance, and since it was his call to make, he had to take the fall in players eyes for making it... but it was a pretty necessary call. Game balance was pretty poor before ED, and while it wasn't great afterwards, it was definitely improved. Yes, this meant that Tankers could no longer go AFK in front of 4 AVs and 40 other mobs. But that was an example of bad game balance, not of how any game should be.

I can't say it was handled well, but frankly... "We have determined that the players are better at breaking game balance than we originally were at setting it up. The fix that we are putting in will nerf the most powerful builds. We hope you will accept this as a necessary step to a glorious future"... well, no matter how you put that, you just KNOW that you are going to piss off a lot of players.