Author Topic: Jack Emmert re: CoH - "Tell NCsoft to call me"  (Read 79912 times)

Lightslinger

• Elite Boss
  • @Lightslinger, Virtue
Jack Emmert re: CoH - "Tell NCsoft to call me"
« on: April 01, 2013, 01:59:49 PM »
Per this post in the Other Games section: http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,8156.msg111249.html#msg111249

At PAX East during a developer panel on the Future of Online Games a question was posed about games being shut down, CoH was cited and Jack Emmert looked to the Wildstar developer and said "Tell NCsoft to call me."

Now Jack could have been just talking but this is by far the best and most public attempt to get CoH yet. Not only that, but it's even being said by one of the most well known MMO developers in the industry and the CREATOR of City of Heroes.

Putting aside Jack hate (seriously, please don't derail with your ED problems, see a doctor), this could be the chance we've been waiting for. As a community we should latch on to this moment and appeal to NCsoft through multiple channels; CALL JACK EMMERT, WE WANT COH BACK.

Lets get some ideas going, I'd love to see TF Hail Mary get in on the brainstorming too. I'd love to see CoH back up and running at Cryptic, it'd be kind of poetic really. Even if it was in a quasi-maintenance mode like CO, I'd be back in Paragon and that's all that would matter really.

Cryptic is about to be flush with NWN money, lets give em something to spend it on; our city.

For the moment I'm just going to campaign with #SaveCoH and #CallJack tweets. Open to hashtag ideas here too.

Noyjitat

• Elite Boss
  • Guess who cares?
Re: Jack Emmert re: CoH - "Tell NCsoft to call me"
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 02:03:09 PM »
I think at this point people want to play city of heroes so badly that we don't care who is running the game. As long as it's still playable. btw is there a video of him saying for ncsoft to call him?

JWBullfrog

• Elite Boss
  • I didn't leave Paragon City. They threw me out!
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 02:05:45 PM »
I never was on the Jack hate train. If the man can get Paragon back on line, I'll be his biggest fan.
As long as somebody keeps making up stories for it, the City isn't gone.

Lightslinger

• Elite Boss
  • @Lightslinger, Virtue
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 02:06:54 PM »
I think at this point people want to play city of heroes so badly that we don't care who is running the game. As long as it's still playable.

And honestly, Cryptic is a good fit. It was once CoH's home, they already run multiple "niche" MMOs, and probably most important, they know the code. I would love to see some movement on this.

UruzSix

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 02:07:24 PM »
We're having a hard enough time getting Jack to listen to us at Champions Online. I don't know how serious he was, or how far he could go in resurrecting City. PWE isn't a bad company, but, uh, I hope you like lockboxes and seasonal events.

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
  • Crime doesn't pay, evildoers!
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 02:08:49 PM »
I would instantly become a Jack Emmert fanboy and give him buckets of money.

Lightslinger

• Elite Boss
  • @Lightslinger, Virtue
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 02:11:16 PM »
Guess I should clarify my confusion regarding Cryptic and PWE...are they the same company now merged but going by PWE? Or are they separate companies? How does that work exactly?

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2013, 02:16:14 PM »
PWE is a publisher. Cryptic is a studio.

NCSoft is a publisher. Paragon Studios was a studio.

Both of those publishers have some of their own in-house titles.

I hear Cryptic also has a lot more autonomy than Paragon Studios had.

Lightslinger

• Elite Boss
  • @Lightslinger, Virtue
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2013, 02:16:32 PM »
PWE is a publisher. Cryptic is a studio.

NCSoft is a publisher. Paragon Studios was a studio.

Both of those publishers have some of their own in-house titles.

I hear Cryptic also has a lot more autonomy than Paragon Studios had.

Good to know, thanks!

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2013, 02:29:57 PM »
Cryptic bought the Champions IP. If Cryptic bought the City of Heroes IP, they'd own both IPs.

CROSSOVER TIME!!!

Positron and Defender test their metal! Synapse and Kinetik get in a race--of puns! Nighthawk and Manticore are like, "I work alone! *grimface*" but are inevitably forced by the writers to work with each other against a common threat! Witchcraft and Pocket D Warwitch wrestle around some!

beveri8469

• Boss
  • still inside atlas park hospital waiting to leave
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2013, 03:12:14 PM »
i agree with yall. i wouldnt care at this point as long as we could play coh again, i would be happy with cryptic having it again.
@Eternal Twilight
Now in Paragon

Cobra Man

• Boss
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2013, 03:22:25 PM »
I'm in if Jack can resurrect COH.

I was never into the whole Jack hate thing. I joined around i5 and all I saw was a guy that created CoH. From what I could read into ED, it was necessary to make CoH the hugely enjoyable game that it turned out to be.

You might even argue that the introduction of Incarnate powers detracted from the overall enjoyment of the game - or not as the case may be :)

If it did go ahead, I would be pushing strongly for Statesman to also get on the resurrection train.

I'm not going to derail this thread but I think the handling of the death of Statesman was an all time low from the devs.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 03:33:27 PM by Cobra Man »

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2013, 03:35:49 PM »
As far as Emmert goes, I came on with Issue 14. So I have no personal beef with Jack. City of Heroes was and is my favorite online game ever, but I like all sorts of super hero games and I enjoy Champions Online as well. I don't think having City of Heroes in Cryptic's stable would adversely impact CO more than it would benefit the studio and all of its games as a whole.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 04:10:35 PM by Captain Electric »

houtex

• Elite Boss
  • I was the turkey all along! MEE!
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2013, 03:57:10 PM »
The thing with Jack is that he wasn't listening very well to his consumers at the time the vitriol towards him got built up.  He came off as a "I know better than you, and I'll do what I want with this." which put off a lot of people.

But... having said that, he is running STO and it is doing pretty well.  I don't play it, can't stand the interface, myself.  Still, I would not have a problem with Jack/Cryptic/PWE gaining CoH.  It seems they actually want to run a game for people, strange as that may sound, and at the end of the day, Jack is probably wiser, and more amenable to what the gamers have to say about things than he used to be... and CoH is already rich in development, if a little hard to deal with, last I heard, to add/change stuff.

I'm all for it.  Go Jack, Go!

---

As far as this... Crossover?
... Witchcraft and Pocket D Warwitch wrestle around some in Jello!

Am I bad for fixing that?  I... I think I'm being bad bad.  Yes.  Indeed I am.  I don't believe I'm sorry though, just being... redside. Yeah, that's it. :)

Mazz vs The World

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2013, 04:05:06 PM »
Why won't they just sell the game already?? Is it because they fear everyone will go to the "new" COH and they would lose their fan base for their new and upcoming games?? If this is this case then why close COH?? This is so aggravating sitting waiting on a game to come back lol. COH is the only mmo I like. I have tried so many others and they just aren't my cup of tea. So what is taking so long for them to bring this game back. They see how unique it was and how people loved the game. We have other developers stating it should have never been shut down so what am I Missing here?? Ok I'm done ranting! I say we continue to submit petitions at change.org every week until they bring it back!!!

Botzo

• Minion
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2013, 04:07:05 PM »
Dear Jack,

Shut up and take my money.

Sincerely Botzo.

Tubbius

• Fun Title
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2013, 04:07:09 PM »
Again, did anyone get this on video or audio?  :)

But yes, if he's serious, and if the guy passes on the message, and IF this isn't an April Fool's gag. . . Cool.  :)

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2013, 04:10:44 PM »
I'd be on board with him bringing it back too. He and Cryptic were before my time, so I have no grudge against him.

If it did go ahead, I would be pushing strongly for Statesman to also get on the resurrection train.

Honestly, I think it would be much more fitting for Jack to take on the role of Praetorian Cole if he did return like this.

Tyrant was supposed to be going to see the error of his ways after reaching Primal Earth, and attempt to atone for his actions by taking up the mantle of Statesman. Think about it... the man that the majority of Paragon City saw as a hateful dictator, becoming its new leader? Under his guidance everything would be tantalizingly familiar, yet... not quite. There would always be an undercurrent of mistrust in everything he did. Every hero in the city would be suspicious of him every second of every day. But what else can they do? Without him there would be NO city. He personally prevented the disaster that nearly wiped all of Primal Earth from existence. Without him, every single hero, villain, and citizen on the planet would have been doomed to oblivion. They can't get rid of him. But they can't completely trust him either. In their hearts he would always be Tyrant.

Given the strong opinions about him, that would equate far more to Jack Emmert reviving the game, than simply resurrecting Statesman ever could.

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2013, 04:24:14 PM »
btw is there a video of him saying for ncsoft to call him?
Again, did anyone get this on video or audio?  :)

Watch the video linked in the OP. Discussion of City of Heroes is around the 33 minute mark.

Tubbius

• Fun Title
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2013, 04:28:04 PM »
Thank you! :)  Will watch later on!