Author Topic: For the old timers in the game: Remember when....  (Read 60933 times)

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
Re: For the old timers in the game: Remember when....
« Reply #220 on: April 26, 2013, 02:34:06 AM »
Heh, don't get me started on that. I don't think there's an Empath player out there who hasn't had a few thousand experiences where a player had to use Team chat to call for help because nobody noticed they were being held.

MaidMercury

• Elite Boss
« Reply #221 on: April 26, 2013, 05:55:31 AM »
Part of the challenge of being an Empath was to keep up with Team mates.
It was easy to monitor everyone's healthbars but in the heat of Battle, Team mates tended to go off in separate directions. <-  ->

....I was hoping the next Issue would allow Empaths to heal around corners :roll:

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
« Reply #222 on: April 26, 2013, 06:16:54 AM »
Part of the challenge of being an Empath was to keep up with Team mates.
It was easy to monitor everyone's healthbars but in the heat of Battle, Team mates tended to go off in separate directions. <-  ->

....I was hoping the next Issue would allow Empaths to heal around corners :roll:

YES. The tendency for groups to behave like a pack of dogs in a park full of squirrels, prompted me to choose Superspeed for my Empath (to run around healing at 3 different locations in a matter of seconds). She also then ended up getting Recall Ally for the one idiot who always ran the wrong way and would be within an inch of death long before I could get to him.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #223 on: April 26, 2013, 01:28:47 PM »
She also then ended up getting Recall Ally for the one idiot who always ran the wrong way and would be within an inch of death long before I could get to him.
Unless, of course, they had the prompt turned on.

"TimtheEnchanter would like to teleport you..." *splat*.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #224 on: April 26, 2013, 02:25:37 PM »
YES. The tendency for groups to behave like a pack of dogs in a park full of squirrels, prompted me to choose Superspeed for my Empath (to run around healing at 3 different locations in a matter of seconds). She also then ended up getting Recall Ally for the one idiot who always ran the wrong way and would be within an inch of death long before I could get to him.

Hey they want to show how awesome their GM killer toon is.

SerialBeggar

• Elite Boss
    • Serial Beggar
« Reply #225 on: April 27, 2013, 01:16:26 AM »

That's why I picked up Superspeed too to supplement my Fly.  And I trained for over half a year at the Hollows (when it was still very populated) by covering EVERYBODY in a 4 block radius around the Atlas Gate.  Setting the "Show Player Health Bars" to = Always really helped since I wasn't on anyone's team.  Having to visually keep track of several active street sweeping groups and/or soloists, and rushing back and forth between them was a pretty intense solo mini-game.  From that time on, I favored using Heal Other over the Aura for most situations.
Teams are the number one killers of Soloists.

Fifth

• Underling
« Reply #226 on: April 27, 2013, 02:21:33 AM »
I totally remember spending hours in the Hollows XD I hated Frostfire with a passion because my team couldn't kill him :(

so what constitutes as old timers? 6 yrs? I was playing for a mere 3 :D....which is why a piece of my soul died when the servers went down.

Safehouse

• Elite Boss
  • Sometimes it's harder to let go than to hold on.
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #227 on: April 27, 2013, 02:29:51 AM »
I totally remember spending hours in the Hollows XD I hated Frostfire with a passion because my team couldn't kill him :(

so what constitutes as old timers? 6 yrs? I was playing for a mere 3 :D....which is why a piece of my soul died when the servers went down.

I played for about 3. The amount of changes they implemented in the last 3 years however I think makes you worthy :)

And Frostfire was such a pain in the butt!! So tough to solo!
Name: Safehouse     Origin: Magic
Powers: Energy Blast/Electricity Manipulation/Flame Mastery/Teleportation
Security Level: 50+
Last Seen: Wandering the empty streets of the evacuated Paragon City.

silvers1

• Boss
« Reply #228 on: April 27, 2013, 03:01:43 AM »
I can see you didn't play from the beginning as if you did you would have experienced the "We can't do this mission / TF unless we have a healer!" I have been on teams that would cancel doing a mission or TF if they could not find an empath.

It was much later in the games life that people finally realized that most of the defenders actually were more useful then an empath.

And the people begging for PL were bad but I hated people that got to level 50 without ever leaving Atlas Park. Then had no idea what the hell to do.

Of course this was for first time players, only because without real experience in the game 95% of the time they would be useless doing missions or TFs.

I even was on some TF's where an AE baby would quit to change toons thinking he can just come back to the team like in AE, and then get really upset when he finds he can't get back in to the TF.

I've played the game since pre-order beta.  I've NEVER been on a team where they wouldnt start without a healer.  Healing has never been a big need in this game, and this was fairly obvious from the beginning.  IMO, I'd rather have an extra troller or buffer/debuffer.
--- Hercules - Freedom Server ---

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #229 on: April 27, 2013, 03:58:45 AM »
I can see you didn't play from the beginning as if you did you would have experienced the "We can't do this mission / TF unless we have a healer!" I have been on teams that would cancel doing a mission or TF if they could not find an empath.
i was on at least a couple TFs where the healing and medicine pool focused Empath quit because they felt that they had nothing to do and got miffed. As in actually stating that they felt there was nothing to do and promptly quitting the team. Which was true, but also totally their fault. Buff-focused Empaths were a blessing, but always far too rare.

It was much later in the games life that people finally realized that most of the defenders actually were more useful then an empath.
i fell in with a bad crowd early on in the game (and read the forums), so i apparently came to that realization well before most other players. Playing a Bubbler around Issue 2 was positively broken. Random PuGger:"We need a healer." Me:"Uh, why?"
So far so good. Onward and upward!

MaidMercury

• Elite Boss
« Reply #230 on: April 27, 2013, 04:29:05 AM »
Tanks, Scrappers loved my Endurance Boost....others liked 'Clear Mind' during Rikti invasions. They were life savers.
I didn't always have to Heal people to be a relevant empath.

...If all fails, one can get invited for the villian spawn :P

AlphaFerret

• Boss
« Reply #231 on: April 27, 2013, 04:37:42 AM »
On the flip side, I was running a rad defender, when my team told me to quit "tossing around that green stuff, and concentrate on heals."  It was on Freedom, so I let it slide without any retort...

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
« Reply #232 on: April 27, 2013, 05:22:43 AM »
I've played the game since pre-order beta.  I've NEVER been on a team where they wouldnt start without a healer.  Healing has never been a big need in this game, and this was fairly obvious from the beginning.  IMO, I'd rather have an extra troller or buffer/debuffer.

It was probably the need for healers that made me roll one so soon. I've always been a community support sort of guy, I saw a huge need for them, so I rolled one and learned the ins and outs. And I must say there has NEVER been a game besides CoH where I so thoroughly enjoyed being a healer.

Those were amusing times. I couldn't have her logged on for more than five seconds before someone nabbed me.

"Gather for RA!"  8)

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #233 on: April 27, 2013, 03:16:38 PM »

I guess you were just lucky or teamed with smart people. I had made 3 defenders that were not empathy and always had a hard time getting teams. Once I made an Illus / Empath controller - the invites poured in.

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #234 on: April 27, 2013, 07:22:02 PM »
I guess you were just lucky or teamed with smart people. I had made 3 defenders that were not empathy and always had a hard time getting teams. Once I made an Illus / Empath controller - the invites poured in.

My only defender was a Kinetic/Sonic, and even if all I did was keep up speedboost (which was a priority yes, but hardly rhe only thing I did) people loved me to death. Aiming heals could be tricky given the way Kin's heal works, but even before leveling up enough to get everyone's favorite buff I was adored and invited onto teams when I was standing around in Talos trying to fix colors on my costume. It never felt quite right...

edit: or I was completely out of context! My heart was in the right place? I'm going to go hide in a corner...
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 09:20:26 PM by Kistulot »
Woo! - Argent Girl

Golden Girl

• One Liners and Winky Faces
  • Elite Boss
    • Heroes and Villains
« Reply #235 on: April 27, 2013, 09:14:35 PM »

That was just WoW brain-washing.
"Heroes and Villains" website - http://www.heroes-and-villains.com
"Heroes and Villains" on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
"Heroes and Villains" on Twitter - https://twitter.com/Plan_Z_Studios
"Heroes and Villains" teaser trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnjKqNPfFv8
Artwork - http://goldengirlcoh.deviantart.com

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #236 on: April 27, 2013, 11:24:47 PM »
That was just WoW brain-washing.
My main defender was a Bubble/Rad, never had issues getting on teams. Although people laughed because his name includes the word "Doctor" and he lacked any heal-other.

Minotaur

• Elite Boss
« Reply #237 on: April 27, 2013, 11:46:11 PM »
I played for about 3. The amount of changes they implemented in the last 3 years however I think makes you worthy :)

And Frostfire was such a pain in the butt!! So tough to solo!

Frostfire was easy to solo (hint: maneuver what you kill to ensure you level up off another mob in his room then bury him under a hail of inspirations), I never failed to solo him on anything I tried using this method.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #238 on: April 27, 2013, 11:55:38 PM »
Frostfire was easy to solo (hint: maneuver what you kill to ensure you level up off another mob in his room then bury him under a hail of inspirations), I never failed to solo him on anything I tried using this method.

One didn't always get the Insp bonus at level up. 
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Safehouse

• Elite Boss
  • Sometimes it's harder to let go than to hold on.
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #239 on: April 28, 2013, 12:23:32 AM »
One didn't always get the Insp bonus at level up.

My issues always came with his imps and frost thingies, combined with his controlling powers. Sometimes if I leveled up mid battle I stillll had trouble :(

Then again I had a lot of blasters. Blasters died fast.
Name: Safehouse     Origin: Magic
Powers: Energy Blast/Electricity Manipulation/Flame Mastery/Teleportation
Security Level: 50+
Last Seen: Wandering the empty streets of the evacuated Paragon City.