Author Topic: If we could bring COH back what would you change?  (Read 36278 times)

Chance Jackson

• Lieutenant
If we could bring COH back what would you change?
« on: March 19, 2013, 09:25:09 PM »
- Full Proliferation(wherever it made sense)
- Full MM customization so that I can finally create a mafioso style Thugs MM(preferably with age of piracy style traps)
- Remove equip time penalty
- Make it offline/stand alone capable like Phantasy Star Online add the ability to host other players and run a dedicated server
Chance Jackson was my Global, I mostly played on Triumph Toons: LIEGE CHEETATRON X - Bots/Traps/Mu lvl 50 +3; DOWN RIGHT FIERCE - SJ/Fire/Soul Brute lvl 50 +3; FIGHT OF YOUR LIFE -KM/Nin/Fire Stalker lvl 50 +3; TIME MAY CHANGE ME - Time/Sonic/Dark; INFERNAL SAMURAI - DB/Fire/Fire lvl 50 +3 replaced by "NITORYU" - DB/WP probably a brute; THUNDEROUS BRUTE - Elec/Shield Scrapper; And Many More!

Kyriani

• Elite Boss
Re: If we could bring COH back what would you change?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 09:38:29 PM »
If I could bring it back (assuming I was disgustingly rich) I'd rehire the entire paragon studios team whatever it took. Then I'd put them back to work doing what they were doing.

If I put my two sense in for anything? I might ask them to make globals be our unique identifier and not make character names unique. Let the players use the names they want to use (within reason of course. no copyright infringements or vulgarity). If I suggested anything beyond that sure proliferation, more customization etc are givens.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 09:51:28 PM »
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 01:53:58 AM by JaguarX »

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 10:29:47 PM »
I would make player names tied to ACCOUNTS.

So I you could have more than one Ironwolf on a team and the names would shown like this:

Ironwolf (@iron)

So duplicates would never be an issue and you could make the global hidden if wanted.

Golden Ace

• Boss
  • Moon Zone Damn it!
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 11:48:28 PM »
one of the things I think Guild Wars II did correctly was their pvp.  every week 3 different servers would fight.  so instead of pvp zones of heroes against villains I think i would make a zone of servers against servers. so every week you would have two new opponents to battle.  new being relative as you would end up fighting at least one of them again a month or so later (because of the limited number of servers).

kind of a marvel vs DC vs dark horse thing where only one universe can win or the multiverse will be destroyed.   

i would spend a lot of love on Bases making things useful. 

I spent years on my base.  it was a solo thing but I was darn proud of it.  second largest map, bowling alley, movie theater, flight deck, library, stadium, operations center, hospital, arboretum, teleport room, and SG housing. but i digress.

I would add a feature to the game where you could edit and make items for the base.  once made they would be submitted to the dev's and if approved they would show up in the base editor for anyone to use.  new wall panels, statues, kitchen appliances etc.

I would also add a size scroll bar for all base items.  be able to change the size of everything including stretching.

change the location of your base entrances.  keep the default in the same area, but if you want you can change the base entrance in each zone.  Top of the globe, warehouse, make it show up on the map for SG members, and glow / stand out so it can be seen by SG and team members only.

make more items that would be useful

raise the storage for salvage up to 100.  30 was way too low.

Names.

I like the idea of names that several people came up with so you could have multiple names on the same server.  my only change would be something that would say "there are 336 other people with that name"

Characters/costumes

Moving lips...

Symbols on capes.  (SG and otherwise)

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 01:12:18 AM »
One thing I thought would have been really cool is a 'secret identity mode'.

You could change into civilian clothes and you would have access to no powers at all, but the mobs would also register you as a NPC so you could roam around and not get attacked every 3 seconds if you were the right level for the zone.

But you could only change if you were alone or out of sight of any mobs, and never inside or during a mission or TF. This would prevent you from just popping into your secret id to avoid a fight or escape. Though if you were chased around a corner and had a few seconds out of the mobs view - you could change and they would ignore you thinking you were just an average John or Jane on the street.

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 02:00:28 AM »
Something that occured to me tonight. A costume creator that would work with 3D Figure printing so I could buy statues of my characters. :D

Ice Trix

• Boss
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2013, 07:19:57 AM »
Online/Offline mode.

...with environment& rewards equal to MA Test mode when offline.

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2013, 08:40:06 AM »
Incarnate mode for normal content and TFs. Difficulty raised to +4, threads drop instead of shards, and an option for incarnate salvage instead of merits at the end of a story arc or TF.

Removal of travel suppression in PvE. It was added because of PvP initially and should've been removed in I13 when they gained the ability to apply different rules for PvE and PvP.

Original Atlas and Mercy missions available in Ouroboros.

All maps and enemies available in Architect, and new ones added as they're made rather than three or four issues later. Also, ability to directly set spawn locations in Architect - this specific spot rather than front/middle/back.

Offline mode, not really but a promise to make the game playable offline in the event of another shutdown.

Revamped base editor. Part of the reason not to do it was the need for backwards compatibility with existing bases, so now is the time. Doorways not taking a full square or rooms directly next to each other. Ability to build walls and floors at arbirtrary locations. Objects from newer maps available in editor - Praetorian stuff mostly. Ability to set in-world location rather than base portals. Secondary solo bases in addition to SG bases.

Customisable pets for Masterminds. Even just a predetermined set of models with colours customisable.

More of a developer mindset thing than a change to the game, but: Risk vs reward not only applied when currently out of balance in favor of reward.

And probably a few more things I can't think of right now.

DarkCurrent

• Boss
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2013, 10:01:01 AM »
Powerset development would be themed so that all ATs received a new set at the same release date.

For example, water blast came out, but there also should have been water control, water melee, water armor, etc.  The animations and power set balancing would have been easier to coordinate as everyone is working on the same theme.

I would have also liked to see the themed sets be released with a new zone and new faction.  Again, water sets could coincide with a water zone (Atlantis would have been a nice Greek tie-in with the lore) with water-powered foes.

Kuriositys Kat

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2013, 12:28:13 PM »
Everything mentioned is a good idea but one thing that bothered me given the wealth of options we had for our costumes is we couldn't choose our eye colour separately. A small nagging detail and just my idea to correct.
"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, and somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do!" - The Doctor

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2013, 12:42:49 PM »
I'd like a TF/SF challenge mode.  The difficulty level of each mission would rise until somebody dies.  Obviously, a set of cool badges for getting to the end without any dying.

Kyriani

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2013, 01:34:30 PM »
Everything mentioned is a good idea but one thing that bothered me given the wealth of options we had for our costumes is we couldn't choose our eye colour separately. A small nagging detail and just my idea to correct.

I can at least explain why this was the case. Our textures were limited to 2 colors and your skin color was one of them while the face paints/makeup were the other. The same applies to body parts. It's why when using "with skin" options you could only choose one color (cause skin color was using the other). To make costumes with more than two colors you had to be creative and have an eye for opportunity. Like using accessories such as belts, shoes, chest bits, gloves head bits for your 3rd color and keeping your primary 2 colors for the overall.

For example:

To get a broader variety of colors I chose purple and silver as my primary colors and pink as an accent. I also wanted some skin showing too. This is what I came up with! Technically speaking my chest is just silver and skin. But the chest detail part adds purple. Technically speaking my upper arms should be skin but using the robotic arms option that looks more like armor, I got more purple there. But when you break it down each piece is still only 2 colors.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 02:12:41 PM by Kyriani »

TerminalVelocity

• Minion
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2013, 01:56:19 PM »
Free form-ish powers. You'd still be locked into your archetype and the archetype's available powersets, but you could chose your tier 1 from A powerset and then your tier two power from B powerset. You could only chose the teir power you were getting from any powerset,  so I couldn't have all of the tier 9s or something.

They'd still have to do something to stop people from further breaking the game, especially with buff/debuff powers.
@Bullet Barrage
I left the forums with 1,337 post.

srmalloy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2013, 04:29:05 PM »
Something that occured to me tonight. A costume creator that would work with 3D Figure printing so I could buy statues of my characters. :D

Like the deal Blizzard made with FigurePrints to give them read-only access to the character data so they could offer custom figures of any player's characters.

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2013, 04:46:42 PM »
No accuracy roll. Never seen a comic book hero spend most of the fight whiffing.

"Missing" in CoH meant several things, not all of them "whiffing". It could mean that the opponent dodged the attack (a la Super Reflexes, or the Combat Jumping and Weave pool powers), or it could mean the opponent completely blocked the attack in some way before it got to him (a la Energy Aura, Stone Armor, Shield Defense, Force Field, etc).  It could also actually mean you missed (due to inexperience with the power - in game terms, no enhancements - or because your aim has been hindered in some way)

I could see removing the 95% accuracy cap so that you could always hit if the opponent had no way of avoiding or blocking the attack (and no way of impairing your aim), but removing the roll entirely would make for a very different game.

GuyPerfect

• Mary Poppins
  • Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2013, 05:11:36 PM »
Who says we can't bring CoH back?

Also...

To make costumes with more than two colors you had to be creative and have an eye for opportunity. Like using accessories such as belts, shoes, chest bits, gloves head bits for your 3rd color and keeping your primary 2 colors for the overall.

Only three colors?

Tannim222

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2013, 05:44:25 PM »
Incarnate mode for normal content and TFs. Difficulty raised to +4, threads drop instead of shards, and an option for incarnate salvage instead of merits at the end of a story arc or TF.

This should've been done when they changed to threads.

Removal of travel suppression in PvE. It was added because of PvP initially and should've been removed in I13 when they gained the ability to apply different rules for PvE and PvP.

This isn't quite true. Travel suppression was also put into live because some crafty players were strafing giant monsters and other encounters, defeating them solo with practically normal builds with very minimal risk.

Original Atlas and Mercy missions available in Ouroboros.

All maps and enemies available in Architect, and new ones added as they're made rather than three or four issues later. Also, ability to directly set spawn locations in Architect - this specific spot rather than front/middle/back.
*snip*
Revamped base editor. Part of the reason not to do it was the need for backwards compatibility with existing bases, so now is the time. Doorways not taking a full square or rooms directly next to each other. Ability to build walls and floors at arbirtrary locations. Objects from newer maps available in editor - Praetorian stuff mostly. Ability to set in-world location rather than base portals. Secondary solo bases in addition to SG bases.

This. And gut the base building assests and put them into Architect. One tool for both base building and player made missions. Further more, I'd expand the entire toolset into a city builder, allowing players to make their own zones, which leads to:

Offline mode, not really but a promise to make the game playable offline in the event of another shutdown.

Tie offline mode to the city builder and players can continue to not only play, but create their own content, host it and invite others to play.

Customisable pets for Masterminds. Even just a predetermined set of models with colours customisable.

This. I'd also make all pets the same level as the PC, but still have them seperated by mob-rank of T1 Minion, T2 LT, T3 Boss, so each teir would have better stats over the next.

I'll add to the statements already made about proliferation of all sets except those that wouldn't automatically work. I'm looking at Ninjitsu to Brutes, Scrappers, Tanks. If I could edit and create my own powers, then I'd make it happen. This goes for Shield for Stalkers. And Illusion for Dominators, with one major change. Phantom Army would instead become dopplegangers of the PC, starting with one, the second and third appearing at later levels. They'd be destructable (but have adequate build-in resistances and status protection), the amount of damage a Dom could put out with it's squad of impervious tanks would (imop) just be too much.

Kyriani

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2013, 05:47:56 PM »
Who says we can't bring CoH back?

Also...

Only three colors?

He he I stuck with 3 cause just going past 2 colors and keeping the outfit cohesive is hard enough in CoH but kudos for pulling off more than 3 cohesively. Still it's true that each piece will only allow for 2 colors. To have a complete outfit using more than that requires creativity!

InOnePiece

• Minion
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2013, 05:52:52 PM »
ED - not that I am against the concept, just the implementation. I'm not a hardcore numbers junkie or anything, so it was actually a while before someone pointed out to me that 6 damage SOs is not 6 times as good as 1 damage SO. It just needed to be clearer, and the game needed to prompt you before 4 slotting something that only took 1 enhancement type, just to be sure that's what you wanted.

Also, voices. I'd probably find them annoying and turn them off after the novelty wore off, but it seems like most MMOs have that now.