Author Topic: If we could bring COH back what would you change?  (Read 36277 times)

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
  • Crime doesn't pay, evildoers!
    • CoH Faces Profile
Re: If we could bring COH back what would you change?
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2013, 02:48:35 AM »
What would I change? I'd change my underwear and put it back on the outside, WHERE IT BELONGS.

Lucretia MacEvil

« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2013, 04:53:13 AM »
Much of what I wanted was already forthcoming, namely the insta-snipe capability and crashless nukes.  I don't know if they ever planned to revamp the crash on most of the armor powersets' T9s, but if they did, I would've had a reason to try something besides WP.  Even switching to WPs "half-crash" would've been good.

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2013, 06:51:54 AM »
Futurist thread warning!!!

Awesome videogame + futurist changes = disapointment

if a futurist  company bys and runs CoH and sees this thread you have here, they will intentionally misinterpret every word you say, cause we all know that futurism isn't arond to make games better! nope it's to make a name for the developers by doing thier own unique Ideas. so anything you tell them to do they wont bring themselves to do it exactly like you said. infact it may be undesireably different.
There is always another way. But it might not work exactly like you may desire.

A wise old rabbit once told me "Never give-up!, Trust your instincts!" granted the advice at the time led me on a tripped-out voyage out of an asteroid belt, but hey it was more impressive than a bunch of rocks and space monkies.

Golden Ace

• Boss
  • Moon Zone Damn it!
« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2013, 12:44:32 PM »
Oh yeah.

Adding Moon Zone to my list.

Cinnder

• Boss
« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2013, 07:12:48 PM »
I'd revamp the starting game "improvements" they made in i21.  The only thing I liked about the changes were the use of phasing, a feature that never got enough subsequent use for my taste.
  • Give heroes and villains separate starting experiences so they can feel really heroic or villainous from the start.  I thought Outbreak and Breakout set the tone much better.
  • Add early origin-based missions like we used to have, but better executed.
  • Eliminate mobs in Atlas that respawn on top of you -- the absence of this was always something that made CoX stand out from the MMO crowd.
  • Get rid of anything relating to Twinshot and her group, or at the very least change them from caricatures to characters and make the plot something heroic and not just being duped by a higher level hero.
  • Make the wide variety of original starting missions available again, even if they were not the most finely crafted missions.  Allow players the choice.

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2013, 12:40:47 AM »
I'd like to see zones that changed with a character's level or achievements.

For example, you'd get the original Dark Astoria up to a particular level or achievement and then you'd get the new Dark Astoria.

This helps foster the idea that the game is a long on-going story.

DarkCurrent

• Boss
« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2013, 02:46:46 AM »
Yeah, I was really pumped about the introduction of the dynamic zone changes based on character actions that got introduced with the revamp of AP and MI.  Too bad it never went further than that.  Was hoping that some day the servers would be merged and the zones would appear as instances to various characters based upon their past achievements.  Sort of an alternate path book.

Cinnder

• Boss
« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2013, 07:10:48 AM »
They did go slightly further with phasing: if you completed the story in new DA, there was a graphical change in the zone that indicated your success.
But as far as I know, that was the only other use of phasing, and it was subtle enough that a lot of people didn't even notice it.

When I see a feature like this that is introduced offering so much opportunity but then gets ignored, I always wonder if it was the idea of a dev who left after initial implementation.

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2013, 11:25:48 AM »
They did go slightly further with phasing: if you completed the story in new DA, there was a graphical change in the zone that indicated your success.

Ooh yeah, the glowy runes on the red war walls. That was a nice touch. Simple in appearance but it really made you feel like you'd accomplished something every time you saw it. Like Matthew Habashy in Atlas Park... after you saved his wife, she would be standing beside him outside City Hall.

I guess that' ssomething I'd change then. More little touches like that. They wouldn't need to affect gameplay, just have a visual and storyline impact. Little reminders, every time you passed, of the difference you were making in the city. "This is MY city. I protect (own) it. If you want to mess with this city, you go through ME."

Okay, one other thing I'd do is change the spawning code for open zones a bit. Each different neighbourhood within the zone would have a silent counter for the different enemy groups within it, and when one group's counter reached a certain number defeated, that neighbourhood would spawn a lot less of that group, and a lot more of other groups. For example, in the places where Council and Fifth Column were fighting, if the players took out enough of one side the balance of power would shift and the other side would replace the defeated side's spawns. After a while it would switch back to an even mix, but for a while you'd really see one group thriving because their competition had been eliminated. That difference might even trigger zone events like Hellion arsons and Troll raves. (*hits preview, and snickers at the term "unicorn raves"*)

I'd also tie the radio/newspaper missions to those counters. The heavier the presence a group has in that zone, the more often that group comes up in the list of available random missions.

okami

• Minion
« Reply #49 on: March 26, 2013, 09:34:18 PM »
Incarnate slots beyond Alpha would only function in designated Incarnate content.

DA/solo/small team progression would be on par with raids, not the one weekend of raids takes a month or longer of DA time difference as it ended with.

Alpha component system would be extended to all slots.

Set IOs would all exemplar and level like the store bought ones.

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2013, 06:49:45 PM »
The new tutorial was utterly pointless AND it actually attempted to train people to speed through the content with its constant calls to hurry up.

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2013, 09:59:55 PM »
Incarnate slots beyond Alpha would only function in designated Incarnate content.

DA/solo/small team progression would be on par with raids, not the one weekend of raids takes a month or longer of DA time difference as it ended with.

Alpha component system would be extended to all slots.

Set IOs would all exemplar and level like the store bought ones.

See that would make me unhappy. I loved me some tossing around lightning bolts and heals out for myself and teammates on toons that weren't heal-specific.

Chance Jackson

• Lieutenant
« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2013, 02:14:24 PM »
See that would make me unhappy. I loved me some tossing around lightning bolts and heals out for myself and teammates on toons that weren't heal-specific.
This, earning incarnate abilites is worthless if they cant be used in 99% of the game's content
Chance Jackson was my Global, I mostly played on Triumph Toons: LIEGE CHEETATRON X - Bots/Traps/Mu lvl 50 +3; DOWN RIGHT FIERCE - SJ/Fire/Soul Brute lvl 50 +3; FIGHT OF YOUR LIFE -KM/Nin/Fire Stalker lvl 50 +3; TIME MAY CHANGE ME - Time/Sonic/Dark; INFERNAL SAMURAI - DB/Fire/Fire lvl 50 +3 replaced by "NITORYU" - DB/WP probably a brute; THUNDEROUS BRUTE - Elec/Shield Scrapper; And Many More!

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #53 on: March 30, 2013, 07:46:55 PM »
I'm sure that if CoX had continued on, at some point after the Omega slot opened, Incarnate content would have become 'legacy' content and become available to F2P.  Once that happened, I imagine most new content would have been Incarnate enabled.

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #54 on: March 31, 2013, 12:12:51 AM »
I suspect eventually they'd have started making incarnate slots that only worked in incarnate content, much like how the second and third level shifts only worked in trials.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #55 on: March 31, 2013, 04:05:13 AM »
Personally, I wanted some Incarnate abilities that were tailored to/different for each of  the individual ATs.  And I would've preferred more of them to be passive (or even toggles) rather than active click powers.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

DarkCurrent

• Boss
« Reply #56 on: March 31, 2013, 11:50:16 AM »
Personally, I wanted some Incarnate abilities that were tailored to/different for each of  the individual ATs.  And I would've preferred more of them to be passive (or even toggles) rather than active click powers.

Yeah, the continued homogenization of the game was becoming a turn-off for me.  Seemed a lazy way to get the incarnate powers in-game sooner.   For instance, the judgement powers turned everyone into a ranged blaster.  I would have liked to see distinct powers for the various ATs.  Wouldn't a melee character have preferred a judgement 'sword' attack or something?  I look at Statesman's lightning storm fist attack.  PB AoE doom for all.

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #57 on: March 31, 2013, 02:48:31 PM »
I'm still sad that the Fist of Zeus wasn't an option for judgement powers. That and a giant oribtal death beam, for the techy types.

I would've liked to have seen judgement powers that did much higher damage than the others, but were small radius aoes like most melee sets had or really thin cones like dual pistols' piercing round, and capped at 5 targets. Just for the variety.

I still remember on the forums though, someone suggested a Fleet Judgement which was essentially what we later got as Vorpal Judgement. Another person suggested instead that a Fleet Judgement should toss an aircraft carrier at someone, like Propel turned up to eleven. I always kinda wanted that power, too. Just for the sheer absurdity.

MaidMercury

• Elite Boss
« Reply #58 on: April 01, 2013, 12:33:23 AM »
I would like to see an 'Automobile' as a Travel power. Or motorcycle. I wouldn't think it would be hard to create that ability.

DarkCurrent

• Boss
« Reply #59 on: April 01, 2013, 01:48:18 AM »
I would like to see an 'Automobile' as a Travel power. Or motorcycle. I wouldn't think it would be hard to create that ability.

Defiance has some nice vehicles in it.  Paragon and the Rogues had the beginnings of with the arachnos flyer and longbow chaser you could summon with team mission tp.