Author Topic: If we could bring COH back what would you change?  (Read 36273 times)

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
Re: If we could bring COH back what would you change?
« Reply #160 on: May 30, 2013, 08:21:10 AM »
NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! $$e grief :gonk:

That junk was the only reason I had a gravity controller. In fact, Propel was the only reason I had a controller of any kind. Hucking random crap at people made life worth living!

If you want to put Propel somewhere else, or add an entire powerset based around throwing random junk, well okay then, bring it on. (That singularity thing actually sounds pretty good.) Otherwise you can have my Propel when you pry it from my cold, dead arrested hands! :P

I'd get behind adding an alternate animation that had an effect like that instead of the random junk, but replacing the random junk entirely? Hell no.

MindBlender

• Boss
  • My Main was a healer, wish he was here now.
« Reply #161 on: May 30, 2013, 11:20:59 AM »
Online/Offline mode.

...with environment& rewards equal to MA Test mode when offline.

Not to create a firestorm here, but does the idea of the Xbox One not seem like a good platform for this?  Yes it is a console and I can't imagine trying to function on CoX the way I used to on a console, but I know they are good for online/offline switching.  Never tried an MMO that I could switch to offline so please explain how this works/worked.  I R A n0ob.
All my computer skill was used up on my Commodore 64 decades ago...

HeatSpike1

• Boss
  • CoH Global: @HeatSpike1
« Reply #162 on: June 09, 2013, 01:38:11 AM »
I wouldn't change much, but one real obvious

1) The biggest hindrance of CoX was by far it's slightly outdated graphics.
  - New content graphics/costume pieces were incredible! but a 7-8 year old game is going to have outdated graphics in some of it's content unless you have the resources to do an entire overhaul. 

- CoH as a whole was incredible.  All the Archetypes, Powersets, and ability to fine tune your character for your specific play style needs with the Invention system and enhancement pool was incredible in itself.
- Having the ability to team or solo significant missions, self or others created AE missions, or anything really that was more meaningful than just mindless grinding for hours. 
- The costume creator.. enough said.
- All the incredible zones, each having something unique to offer even if it was only different enemy groups.
- I could go on for days but the game itself was wonderful as far as I'm concerned.  A simple graphic update would have blown every other game out of the water. 

OzonePrime

• Elite Boss
  • Never Give Up! Never Surrender!
« Reply #163 on: June 09, 2013, 12:42:02 PM »
Loved the game as is. Graphics could stand tweeking, but overall wouldn't change a thing.
In fact, I wish the Plan Z projects all of the luck they are going to need, but I'd rather just have a private server of CoH. That is, if NCSoft never lets go of the IP.

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #164 on: June 09, 2013, 02:39:31 PM »
I wouldn't change much, but one real obvious
1) The biggest hindrance of CoX was by far it's slightly outdated graphics.
  - New content graphics/costume pieces were incredible! but a 7-8 year old game is going to have outdated graphics in some of it's content unless you have the resources to do an entire overhaul.

Yeah, a full overhaul in the style of WoW Cataclysm was one thing CoH really did need. Not even any major changes, just redo all the old content so it matches the higher standard set but the newer stuff. Sadly, while Blizzard had the resources to pretty much rebuild their entire original game, Paragon didn't. Not that it stopped them redoing stuff at a slower pace.

HeatSpike1

• Boss
  • CoH Global: @HeatSpike1
« Reply #165 on: June 09, 2013, 10:26:23 PM »
Right.

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #166 on: June 14, 2013, 11:39:56 PM »
I'd very much like for them to get rid of Matthew Habashy, and bring back the origin-specific first contacts. Running every new toon through him got so boring that, even if I didn't run the new toon through Death From Below, I still did whatever I could to out-grow Matthew, and pass him by.

Speaking of which, if I had to re-start a toon after messing him up (especially on a free account with no respec), DFB was handy for getting his replacement up to where the original had been. Otherwise, I think I'd like for that to go, too. Far too many new players probably ended up thinking that that was all there was to the game, and they missed out on some really great content.

If they insist on keeping the 5th Column, they should also make an adaptation so that 5C don't interfere with street-hunting the Council nearly as much as they did. They made it frustratingly difficult to complete those missions, especially in Steel Canyon.

I still don't understand why passer-by NPCs got hard hats, but my construction-worker-turned-earth-dominator couldn't have one. Also, my private eye needed a cloth trench coat; the leather one looked silly. But this paragraph is negotiable. :)

Oh, and please let us opt out of the show-offy gun-twirling in Dual Pistols; that got old really fast.

--Super Firebug

Incoming munitions always have the right of way.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 06:05:16 PM by Super Firebug »
Linux. Because a world without walls or fences won't need Windows or Gates.

0nehanklap

• Lieutenant
« Reply #167 on: June 16, 2013, 05:23:51 AM »
1- The reason for the NEED for DFB runs was not all the new people coming in, but rather that so many had been through the standard starter missions so many times it became tiresome, yet for so many with alt-itis, we still wanted new lowbies coming in.  Make it so that after running through the origin arcs a dozen times or so, you have the OPTION to simply bypass with enough xp to start at a slightly higher level.  This works fine in other games and means you don't have to keep adding new starter material to keep it interesting.

2- Badges:  love them, hate having to do entire mission arcs with 30, 40, (ok 80) alts to badge them all...  I'd like more of those badges to be account-wide.  Not all... some things with bragging rights need to be per-character.

srmalloy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #168 on: June 17, 2013, 04:35:48 PM »
If they insist on keeping the 5th Column, they should also make an adaptation so that 5C don't interfere with street-hunting the Council nearly as much as they did. They made it frustratingly difficult to complete those missions, especially in Steel Canyon.

Actually, all that needs to be done is to apply some proliferation to the spawns. When the devs brought back the 5th Column, virtually all of the spawns that had been 5th Column, then Council, turned into mixed 5th Column/Council spawns, and they'd start fighting the moment you got close enough to attack them, so it was a race between you and whichever side you weren't hunting to take down the rest. What we need is to have the spawns broken out so that most of the spawns are either all 5th Column or all Council, with a small number being a mixed spawn of both that start fighting. Or, for an increased effect, make all the spawns uniform as all 5th Column or all Council, and set up a bunch of spawn points for an in-zone event like the one in Nova Praetoria between the PPD and the protesters, where 5th Column and Council would show up and start fighting.

It might be ugly to make the AI handle it, but it would add to immersion if the 'fighting' spawns had additional aggro logic so that if you were to come up to a mixed spawn of, say, Rikti and Carnies and began attacking the Rikti, the Carnies would stay neutral to you as long as there were Rikti left and you didn't attack any of the Carnies (a sort of 'enemy of my enemy' thing). Certain mob groups, like the Rikti, could automatically be hostile, giving some additional variation. One of the things that would make this ugly to implement is how Taunt effects worked; it wouldn't be even across ATs if Tankers were unable to make use of it because their punchvoke aggro'd everyone in the spawn regardless of which side they attacked.