Author Topic: If City of Heroes came back what might stop you?  (Read 61600 times)

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
Re: If City of Heroes came back what might stop you?
« Reply #140 on: July 08, 2013, 06:33:37 AM »
I had some fun on CoH during it's run but theres no way I would play it again.
cool stuff.

Mythic13

• Underling
« Reply #141 on: July 08, 2013, 06:42:00 AM »
Those are fighting words! (Kidding...)

(Maybe...)

I think I remember you on the official forums. I never used them much but I recognize some people.
Accolades obtained: Atlas Medallion, Conspiracy Theorist, Headline Stealer. Freedom Phalanx Reserve Member, Demonic, Bloodletter, Archmage, Watchman, Vanguard

Mythic13

• Underling
« Reply #142 on: July 08, 2013, 06:42:18 AM »
Accolades obtained: Atlas Medallion, Conspiracy Theorist, Headline Stealer. Freedom Phalanx Reserve Member, Demonic, Bloodletter, Archmage, Watchman, Vanguard

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
  • Crime doesn't pay, evildoers!
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 08, 2013, 07:48:40 AM »
I'm sorry but I completely disagree. They say a picture is worth a thousa-- HURRR

(Sort of like the Hulk, I turn into an ill Japanese woman whenever I'm angry.)

LadyShin

• Elite Boss
« Reply #144 on: May 09, 2014, 02:59:52 AM »
If COH comes back I would like the downtime to be woven into the storyline.

You're introduced to a cutscene right off the bat. Radio comm signal loaded with static, from either Longbow or Arachnos, not to you but rather the search & rescue teams that have been dispatched to dig up the remains of those who were caught in the disaster from the rubble.

Wait, what disaster?

That's right, you blacked out the moment the Coming Storm struck.

You were buried under thousands of tons of rubble, but by some miracle managed to survive for god knows how long under fallen structures and other debris.

Your once great powers seem to have dwindled away, seems like the Well has nearly abandoned you.

As you get your bearings, you look up in the sky, and see a disjointed reality: The world as you know it has been partially merged with the realm of Ouroboros, one of the floating continents of that area now resting broken in the heart of the city. The sky is shot through with ribbons of energy, occasionally bits of that other realm fading into view before slowly disappearing.

It's up to you to re-awaken your powers of the Well of Furies, achieve new greatness and go back in time to set things right.

And oh yeah.

Your former allies?

They don't remember you.

Good luck.

8)
"Frank! It's the love boat to Cuba! Shuffle board and pineapples filled with rum. Know what they do? They put little paper umbrellas sticking out the top so that when it rains, it don't thin out the liquor."

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #145 on: May 09, 2014, 04:44:43 PM »
Woven into the storyline?
Easy.
Everyone blacked out for a fraction of a second. According to everything we can tell, Earth has moved forward in time by two years. It's a Nemesis Mender Silos plot
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

Ohioknight

• Celebrating Columbus Day
  • Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
« Reply #146 on: May 09, 2014, 05:18:20 PM »
If COH comes back I would like the downtime to be woven into the storyline.

You're introduced to a cutscene right off the bat. Radio comm signal loaded with static, from either Longbow or Arachnos, not to you but rather the search & rescue teams that have been dispatched to dig up the remains of those who were caught in the disaster from the rubble.

Personally, I think the perfect cutscene would be AA's "Unity" video - Chasing the Shadows Away.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyn_YuMLSNc
"Wow, a fat, sarcastic, Star Trek fan, you must be a devil with the ladies"

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #147 on: May 09, 2014, 10:53:07 PM »
Personally, I think the perfect cutscene would be AA's "Unity" video - Chasing the Shadows Away.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyn_YuMLSNc

I gotta be honest, when I first saw that video it felt like that was what was actually happening. (Symbolically I mean, not literally, heh :P )  The citizens, the NPCs and most of our characters have slipped into a kind of stasis, while a few select supers volunteered to stand guard over the others. Inside their universe they fight together to push back the darkness, draining every last bit of their collective strength just to hold the world together. And from our end, we struggle to reconnect with their world so they can all reawaken and begin to heal. Actually, it's got a bit of an Alpha and Omega Team vibe to it when I think of it that way.

Sajaana

• Boss
« Reply #148 on: May 10, 2014, 08:53:17 PM »
Sajaana might be too out of shape after two years on the couch to run around Paragon City like she used to do.

Solitaire

• Elite Boss
  • Badge Hunting
« Reply #149 on: May 10, 2014, 09:39:28 PM »
I'd certainly love to see CoH come back and I would most likely want to support anyone who decided to stick their neck out and reboot the servers. I was just wondering, what might be a dealbreaker to you coming back to CoH?

1. All player data being reset/lost. We all have to make new accounts and everything we bought, vet powers earned and characters made were lost. Starting over at level 1 with no characters. I would be annoyed but it wouldn't be a dealbreaker for me.
2. No further developments or changes. Game in maintenance mode. (Issue 23) That is tough knowing the game will no longer evolve.
2a. No successor.
3. Radical changes to the game. Adding in or removal of "key" features. Fairly generic catagory but its possible if the game came back the powers to be decieded to add some new feature like open world pvp or say removed bases or inventions. This might be too generic but just a topic of things changed which might make me not want to come back.

Nothing would stop me!

chuckv3

• Elite Boss
« Reply #150 on: May 11, 2014, 01:17:13 AM »
The only thing that would even slow me down is spouse aggro.

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
« Reply #151 on: May 11, 2014, 04:03:56 AM »
Short of my own death, i can think of nothing.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!

KingsGambit

• Underling
« Reply #152 on: May 12, 2014, 01:32:23 AM »
I'd miss my vet perks and powers :-D

I loved logging in with a brand new alt for the first time, and waiting almost a minute for all the popups to stop. Then I'd start claiming all the rewards and sorting my power tray...Pocket D jump pack/VIP Pass, beast/ninja run, sands of mu, nemesis staff, remove fog of war, etc, etc. Not to mention the ability to pick travel powers at 6. I loved that my investment, play and commitment over the years gave me a much better QoL and enjoyable start to the life of an alt. I don't think I could break out of prison again, find Kalinda and go through it all again without those perks.

I also had so many free respecs/tailor tokens that even with a new character, I could probably go through their entire career and never pay for either (or do the trials, though I usually did them for the badges anyway).

Reiraku

• Boss
« Reply #153 on: May 12, 2014, 01:45:22 AM »
The only thing that would even slow me down is spouse aggro.

That would only speed me up, I think. After all, we named our son after Lord Recluse...

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
« Reply #154 on: May 14, 2014, 06:56:15 PM »
I'd miss my vet perks and powers :-D

I loved logging in with a brand new alt for the first time, and waiting almost a minute for all the popups to stop. Then I'd start claiming all the rewards and sorting my power tray...Pocket D jump pack/VIP Pass, beast/ninja run, sands of mu, nemesis staff, remove fog of war, etc, etc. Not to mention the ability to pick travel powers at 6. I loved that my investment, play and commitment over the years gave me a much better QoL and enjoyable start to the life of an alt. I don't think I could break out of prison again, find Kalinda and go through it all again without those perks.

I also had so many free respecs/tailor tokens that even with a new character, I could probably go through their entire career and never pay for either (or do the trials, though I usually did them for the badges anyway).

Yeah, that was awesome! It really made the low level stuff fun.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!

Styrj

• Boss
« Reply #155 on: May 14, 2014, 10:53:14 PM »
The biggest deal breaker for me would be open (I.E., unavoidable) PVP.  Let me play my PVE and I'm a happy camper.

1)  Forced PVP.
2)  Having the game turned into a Pay-to-Win scenario.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 11:11:33 PM by TDGeorge »
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!  Infinity Server...

Stratoburst

• Minion
« Reply #156 on: May 14, 2014, 11:19:37 PM »
As long as no radical changes were made to CoH, the only thing stopping me is that I'm enrolled in an Accounting program right now (Western Governors University), and I'm trying to accelerate through the program.  In other words, gaming time is severely restricted.

After that however....Stratoburst (my Peacebringer) flies again!

Sugoi

• Boss
« Reply #157 on: May 15, 2014, 04:01:01 AM »
Not a darn thing!

A RL friend of mine and I had this very discussion while watching some classic CoH videos on YouTube last weekend.  We both agreed that even if we had to start over fresh, it wouldn't be much different from what we had been doing for years, levelling clones of our favorites on different servers or trying new power concepts as they appeared.

And now that I'm retired, I'd have even more time to help out!

How retired am I?  Well, when I was young, to get to school, I had to fly thru a tornado... both ways!

æhæd

• Underling
  • Oh! Really?
« Reply #158 on: May 15, 2014, 04:51:08 AM »
I'd be in to see the I24 content. After that, "development" might be up to the community to devise. I'd be keen to see where that goes. Player-run events may have some way to expand considering AE. It would likely be a smaller crowd, but could be managed on fewer (one?) servers. I don't mind starting toons over.

blacksly

• Elite Boss
« Reply #159 on: May 15, 2014, 04:03:54 PM »
Out of all of the complaints that I've seen in this thread, I can't think of one that would be a deal breaker and is in any way likely.

The only deal breaker would be open PvP in all areas, and that's not going to happen.

Otherwise... pay "wall", or gated content? I was paying a subscription for years, that wouldn't bother me at all.
Having to re-make characters? A shame to lose the influence and IO collections, but they can be built up again.

As a plus, I would be in the advance login group for sure, and would have a better chance to snag some snazzy names.