Author Topic: If City of Heroes came back what might stop you?  (Read 61370 times)

Plinkyplonk

• Minion
Re: If City of Heroes came back what might stop you?
« Reply #180 on: November 13, 2014, 09:38:23 AM »

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
« Reply #181 on: November 13, 2014, 12:11:49 PM »
a major organ exploding unexpectantly
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"

erich

• Minion
    • Art of War Gaming
« Reply #182 on: November 13, 2014, 09:11:24 PM »
Nothing! With the ESO and ArcheAge failures...I can't use a word to describe how badly I'm ready for my COH game to return.
Art of War Gaming
A friendly community of gamers

silvers1

• Boss
« Reply #183 on: November 13, 2014, 10:42:48 PM »
1.  Unreasonable charges way out of line with what the game was charging at close.

2.  Major changes to gameplay that put it out of line with what I enjoy.

3.  Introduction of any pay2win elements that are so common in the newer games.

4.  Not sure if this would stop me, but it might give me pause.  If they promise to bring the game back and it stays static
with no further releases.   I quit GW1 because of this.

--- Hercules - Freedom Server ---

Burnt Toast

• Elite Boss
  • Tastes Good!
« Reply #184 on: November 13, 2014, 11:14:44 PM »

1. Highly doubtful... they want to entice as many players to play Issue 23 CoH as possible.

2. They won't be making changes... the game will be just like it was the day the servers shut down.

3. See 1 & 2.

4. CoH when it comes back WILL be a static game... stuck in Issue 23... UNTIL CoH 1.5 (Atlas Park Revival) is completed.

1.  Unreasonable charges way out of line with what the game was charging at close.

2.  Major changes to gameplay that put it out of line with what I enjoy.

3.  Introduction of any pay2win elements that are so common in the newer games.

4.  Not sure if this would stop me, but it might give me pause.  If they promise to bring the game back and it stays static
with no further releases.   I quit GW1 because of this.

silvers1

• Boss
« Reply #185 on: November 14, 2014, 12:48:09 AM »
4. CoH when it comes back WILL be a static game... stuck in Issue 23... UNTIL CoH 1.5 (Atlas Park Revival) is completed.

Oh well, then I guess I'll wait for 1.5 - unless there's a character transfer option from the static game over to 1.5

--- Hercules - Freedom Server ---

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #186 on: November 14, 2014, 03:54:47 AM »
character transfers are unlikely, that would either require knowledge of the server data or a static import system like titan.

the former would violate the proposed terms of the IP sale, the latter would be a huge backdoor into cheating AP1.5 by uploading artificially enhanced toons or accounts.
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

Ultimate15

• Boss
« Reply #187 on: November 14, 2014, 04:36:52 AM »
1. Highly doubtful... they want to entice as many players to play Issue 23 CoH as possible.

2. They won't be making changes... the game will be just like it was the day the servers shut down.

3. See 1 & 2.

This pretty much quiets any fears I might have with the re-release of COH. Totally willing to pay month-to-month (within reason, obviously - and there is no doubt in my mind that it will be) and I could care less about starting over with all of my characters. I was a 7 year veteran, but the character's were only part of the experience for me - it was the world I was able to immerse myself in, and the community of players I met in game that reeeeeeeeally weigh heavily on my mind even to this day.

ALSO...and I dunno if Irish Girl will see this or not...but just from a marketing/PR standpoint? I would just title the re-vamped version of COH @ I23 ported over to Unreal for further development as City of Heroes 2. There's something about 1.5 that just sounds kinda elementary/silly to me? Or City of Heroes: Freedom Reborn. I DUNNO. I'M JUST SPITBALLING HERE.

Are we there yet? :D
Viva la Virtue!

Takinalis

• Boss
« Reply #188 on: November 14, 2014, 11:50:08 PM »
A SWAT Team might stop me. A super villain maybe...I don't want to think about it. A heart attack would probably stop me...
Valkyrie Blade - Virtue Server

ukaserex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #189 on: November 16, 2014, 03:41:48 AM »
Currently, what would stop me is a lack of free time.

Things change. New job, new patterns of behavior. I hope that the game comes back, and I have time to play it.
Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #190 on: November 16, 2014, 05:43:25 AM »
Since it looks like we might start all over at level 1, not a deal breaker.
Adding "fun" new features, not a deal breaker.
Open world PvP, I'd hate it but not a deal breaker.
Removing key elements, AE, invention, the market, incarnate stuff, SG bases, not a deal breaker.

Deal breaker ---
Losing chat, chat channels, people with a sense of humor who can take a joke.

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
« Reply #191 on: November 16, 2014, 06:02:14 AM »
-Sonny and Cher remarry
-Being crushed by a meteor
-Held for ransom in the middle of the Congo
-Torn apart by rabid, mutant bottle-nose dolphins on a meth binge
-I convert to an ultra-orthodox, vegan, glue-sniffing Amish man with a fungal infection on his big toenails
-Adopted by uppermiddle-class orangutans seeking to justify their career and life choices by living vicariously through a child with whom they have no real commitment
-Something else comes up
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"

blacksly

• Elite Boss
« Reply #192 on: November 16, 2014, 03:00:28 PM »
character transfers are unlikely, that would either require knowledge of the server data or a static import system like titan.

the former would violate the proposed terms of the IP sale, the latter would be a huge backdoor into cheating AP1.5 by uploading artificially enhanced toons or accounts.

I can think of several ways around this. For starters, there is already some knowledge of the server data and how it affects characters, so it's likely that much of the character's data can already be translated. The rest would have to be figured out, but there would be plenty of time for that, I think, given the end payoff (full transfer of characters).

In the second issue, the idea of throwing all of your IOs into one character, transferring him over, then swapping the IOs to the next and repeating, there is probably a way around it. We don't know what server commands are included, but if there is a "delete character" command from the outside (as in, other than the owner of the account deleting it), and there probably is such a command, then it would be possible to set up the transfer command so that it deletes the character when making the transfer. That way all possessions are transferred over only once.

I'm not sure how the auction houses would be handled. Again, it depends on what handles are available for character/auction house interaction from outside of the account. Same goes for possessions in a base or vault. Still, I doubt that anyone would have too many problems about transferring even if they could only take what their character carries, especially since you'd just fill up your character slots with IO mules to carry IOs for you.

I think that, in general, everyone who is saying "this can't be done, this won't be done, etc", is probably underestimating the resourcefulness of gamers who are also programmers and are given a free license by the company to figure out the data and code for the company's own benefit (ie: character transfers, adding new powers & powersets, etc). I will be personally surprised if, a year after CoH 1.0 is active again (if it is, of course), we do not have someone who has figured out how to add new powers using existing graphics. Maybe even actual powersets, though I don't know enough about how those are indexed to be sure.

KosmicKnight

• Underling
« Reply #193 on: November 25, 2014, 05:37:56 AM »
Pretty much nothing would stop me.

I doubt unavoidable PvP would ever be an issue, if NCIdiocracy was running the game, that would mean too much investment in the game. If someone else were running it, it would mean a complete redo of the game anyways.... so I dont ever see that happening.

I would remake everyone from the ground up if I had to.

I often wonder exactly WHAT NCIdiocracy actually DID with our servers. Are they wiped? I would not bet a dollar that the info is stil intact. The mere thought enrages me. But what can be done once, can be done again.

The servers are being used for wildstar. Ain't that a kicker?

Noyjitat

• Elite Boss
  • Guess who cares?
« Reply #194 on: November 25, 2014, 10:07:33 PM »
Currently, what would stop me is a lack of free time.

Things change. New job, new patterns of behavior. I hope that the game comes back, and I have time to play it.

Oh I'm sure you'll find time ;) No matter what I intend to and I'll probably take a vacation day from work the day it's playable.... Probably a few days.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #195 on: November 26, 2014, 02:26:13 PM »
I was thinking what would stop me from playing and I could only come up with a Mongol Horde invasion - which immediately led me to a new alt - Yak Attack.

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
  • Crime doesn't pay, evildoers!
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #196 on: November 26, 2014, 05:54:44 PM »
I actually think it's a testament to City of Heroes, Cryptic and Paragon Studios that I might not come back to a world in which my story, my history, my characters have been irretrievably erased. Before City of Heroes, I played at least a dozen other MMOs. I'm an old-schooler. My first account in an MMORPG was created in November, 1997 (Ultima Online). I still play Ultima Online occasionally, when the itch visits me, despite having nuked my stable of characters half a dozen times. So what's so different about COH? What's different is, COH turned out to be the game that I was always looking for; one in which my stable of characters didn't feel like disposable units of stats, casually overlaid on top of game fiction that was just as disposable--just an excuse for boss fights and XP.

I'm well aware that COH is exactly that for many other players and well-loved for it. I'm not hating. That's more or less what I'd done in many other games. But I always wondered what a more immersive experience would feel like, just like pre-launch ads always promise. In COH, I was finally given all the customization tools I had ever dreamed about. I saw each new character as fresh paint on the same canvas the game's story was painted on. And almost immediately I was lucky enough to fall in with a group of other players who approached roleplay just as creatively and imaginatively. Without that final piece, I probably would have lost inspiration, eventually, caught up in the same mad rush for XP that can be found in every class-based MMO on planet Earth.

COH made this veteran MMOer less-jaded about MMOs than he had any right to be. Which is why, "just roll some more alts", isn't a respectable solution to the empty holes left on that old canvas. Remember the cartoon that was circulating around after the game closed? With the kid having his old dog taken away, his parent saying, "Here, you'll like one of these newer ones?" I took great care in character creation to carve something meaningful and worthwhile into my corner of that universe. Believe it or not, I never deleted a character, and I knew mine and my friends characters very well, like people in a story that you don't want to end. NCSoft deleted every single one of them. If they could simply be replaced, after everything I just told you, what would that say about me?

I'm not one of those people who came up with an apocalyptic tale to excuse NCSoft's digital book-burning. After all, the world of COH was an apocalypse--of epic proportions, zombies and extradimensional aliens and giant monsters--and yet we didn't think of it like that; places like Paragon City sat in the middle of it all, well-defended by our heroes, even by our villains. And in my mind, that's where I left them--defending that oasis, cleaning up Primal Earth.

Before COH closed, I easily could have played for another five years, maybe more. I don't generally put that many years into one MMO; that's testament to the game being able to keep people invested. But if I ever went back to a COH without my characters in it, there'd have to be a reason for my doing so that made sense in-universe. There are many ways that that could happen, creatively speaking. But will it serve the story, or just serve as an excuse to go back?--As an author or director might say, one of these isn't good enough. Also by that time, the launch of one or more of the game's successors might be imminent, too.

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
« Reply #197 on: November 27, 2014, 06:19:05 AM »
I was thinking what would stop me from playing and I could only come up with a Mongol Horde invasion - which immediately led me to a new alt - Yak Attack.

with his battle cry: "Yakity Attack! Don't talk back."
Cogito, Ergo... eh?

Floride

• Elite Boss
  • Badgehunter Extraordinaire
« Reply #198 on: November 29, 2014, 06:14:48 AM »
An EMP. A really big EMP.
History shows again and again
How nature points out the folly of men

MaidMercury

• Elite Boss
« Reply #199 on: November 29, 2014, 11:10:00 PM »
What would stop me from playing CoH?
the same perpetrator that ended CoH to begin with...NCsoft.