Author Topic: If City of Heroes came back what might stop you?  (Read 61363 times)

CatMan

• Underling
Re: If City of Heroes came back what might stop you?
« Reply #200 on: December 02, 2014, 09:35:36 AM »
I would come back definitely.

So would my kids.

Safehouse

• Elite Boss
  • Sometimes it's harder to let go than to hold on.
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #201 on: December 02, 2014, 11:47:53 AM »
Pretty much the only thing stopping me from coming back would be open world PvP and even that wouldn't stop me, I'm sure.

Outside of that, I think even losing both my arms and my eyes would not stop me.

Boy I hope this deal happens. I'm itching to play, to sit in my three favorite zones - The Hollows, Atlas Park, Steel Canyon - and just shoot the breeze with everyone. For now I have to settle for listening to the soundtrack and writing my fan fiction.
Name: Safehouse     Origin: Magic
Powers: Energy Blast/Electricity Manipulation/Flame Mastery/Teleportation
Security Level: 50+
Last Seen: Wandering the empty streets of the evacuated Paragon City.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #202 on: December 02, 2014, 09:40:10 PM »
Not even the numerous new games I played could really stop me from playing city of heroes.  No, my life would have to be so bad off as to not have any internet access to stop me from playing it.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Harpospoke

• New Efforts # 4,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #203 on: December 09, 2014, 03:54:24 AM »
Kinda scary to read about the people who have developed new habits since shutdown and how that might keep them away.   I get that.   I might struggle to find the same amount of free hours too.   Do I practice guitar less or play less basketball?   Hmmm....
On-topic, the community is what really made the game for me.

In real life, I don't really feel like part of a social group very often.  Even when I'm talking about human beings in general, I tend to say "they" or "people" instead of "we".  After the Save-the-Game campaign began, I noticed something; the CoX community is my "we".  I would give my dad updates on the situation, saying "we're gonna just keep playing until they shut the servers down" and "we have a petition going on-line" and stuff like that.

I want my "we" back.

That's all.
That's pretty damn awesome.    :)
I know people who spent hundreds of hours crafting just a few toons to make them awesome. I can see how they'd be unwilling to come back if it meant having to redo all that.

Me, I was always more interested in the story and trying out new powersets so I'd be happy to start over if it meant I had COH back.
I've got a couple of friends whom I just can't convince to come back unless they get their characters back.  As you said, they spent countless hours working on them.   They were way more into that than I was.   I only had 16 50s from 8 years of playing....that's not impressive at all from reading this forum.   So at first the prospect of losing 8 years was a big deal to me....a lvl 50 represents a huge investment of my life.   

But then various posters described ways to powerlevel characters back to 50 in a matter of days so I should be fine within a month.   I can learn how to do it I'm sure.   So my fears of characters being lost was mitigated. 

But I do get it how others might be too discouraged to come back.   I would never say, "I'm amazed at the number of people who wouldn't go back if they had to remake their characters again" or "It really confuses me too that people wouldn't be thrilled at the chance to have an excuse to recreate their main and do it BETTER that time" or "I also am surprised that so many people are saying a wipe would mean they would not bother with a relaunch".

CoX was different for everyone.   It was more than just the game mechanics to some....they felt it was a world that actually existed in some way and the characters were a big part of that.   There are emotions involved there.   Nerdy?   Yah....but without emotion I wouldn't have played either.

My only real concern now would be the cost.   I want to come back with two accounts again.   But I'm a musician for a living now so the budget isn't what it used to be.
I'd miss my vet perks and powers :-D

I loved logging in with a brand new alt for the first time, and waiting almost a minute for all the popups to stop. Then I'd start claiming all the rewards and sorting my power tray...Pocket D jump pack/VIP Pass, beast/ninja run, sands of mu, nemesis staff, remove fog of war, etc, etc. Not to mention the ability to pick travel powers at 6. I loved that my investment, play and commitment over the years gave me a much better QoL and enjoyable start to the life of an alt. I don't think I could break out of prison again, find Kalinda and go through it all again without those perks.

I also had so many free respecs/tailor tokens that even with a new character, I could probably go through their entire career and never pay for either (or do the trials, though I usually did them for the badges anyway).
That was a great "problem" to have, right?    First thing I had to do was stand there in front of Ms Liberty and sort everything out.   Sands of Mu and Nemesis Staff...sigh...I would miss those for sure.   They made it worth slotting for global acc all by themselves.   :D

AmberOfDzu

• Boss
« Reply #204 on: December 09, 2014, 07:33:18 PM »
It would be daunting to get back the perks earned from years of play and/or Paragon Rewards. I had quite a few too, and I also liked setting my veteran perks up just right once I got to Atlas Park on a new character. Ahh, fond memories. :)

I suppose one thing that could keep me away would be a business model I found to be too pricey or cash-grabby. People will differ on all that, and I'm sure it's far too early to be worrying over it. I would want the reborn City of Heroes to make a little, or at least not cost any, money for the maintainers, and I trust those who're actually involved in all that are fully aware of those issues.

robo40

• Minion
« Reply #205 on: December 20, 2014, 01:18:14 PM »
I would come back definitely.

So would my kids.

Second.  I can't imagine a scenario where I wouldn't come back.

Pearl Dragon

• Lieutenant
« Reply #206 on: December 26, 2014, 03:05:48 AM »

I will be back... I know at least 5 in our family will be back, maybe 7  :)

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #207 on: December 28, 2014, 09:08:58 PM »
Come to think of it, the only thing that would stop me from coming back, concerning the game, would be if it was changed to the point where it would be more like other games like Champions Online or something like that.

The enhancement system in CoX is cool, you get to decide which power gets up to all 6 slots.  And you get to decide what type and kind of enhancement goes into each slot.  Other games have skills or talents or abilities to fill in.  CoX allowed a whole lot more customization.

So, where do I sign?

futch

• Underling
« Reply #208 on: December 29, 2014, 02:22:18 AM »
i would go bck in a flash so would wifey ! :) :) :)

Safehouse

• Elite Boss
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #209 on: December 31, 2014, 02:54:52 PM »
Come to think of it, the only thing that would stop me from coming back, concerning the game, would be if it was changed to the point where it would be more like other games like Champions Online or something like that.

*snip*

After some thinking, this ^

The game I want is CoH, not something called City of Heroes that is unrecognizable.

AmberOfDzu

• Boss
« Reply #210 on: December 31, 2014, 04:11:35 PM »
After some thinking, this ^

The game I want is CoH, not something called City of Heroes that is unrecognizable.

I agree. There is likely good advice to be inferred from this for those making the potential successor games. It's a confluence of the game setting/lore, the mechanics of the engine, the visual style, and the rule-sets. There's room in all of these for improvements, but one would have to be careful not to go too far away. I wish I could advise how far was too far, and what would stay in the zone.

Of course, for a possible relaunch of i23, I have no such concerns. ^_^

Safehouse

• Elite Boss
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #211 on: December 31, 2014, 07:15:16 PM »
I agree. There is likely good advice to be inferred from this for those making the potential successor games. It's a confluence of the game setting/lore, the mechanics of the engine, the visual style, and the rule-sets. There's room in all of these for improvements, but one would have to be careful not to go too far away. I wish I could advise how far was too far, and what would stay in the zone.

Of course, for a possible relaunch of i23, I have no such concerns. ^_^

It's part of why I have a lot of optimism for all of the successor projects, actually. Each and every one of the studios involved is comprised of people who were players and members of the CoX community. The folks involved know what really clicked for this game, and what could use some work. Of all the people into whose hands I would entrust CoX's future, these are the people with whom I'd be most comfortable. They all know that we don't want something that's so far removed from what we know and love as to be unrecognizable.

And since some of these people are involved, even if in just an advisory/sideline capacity, in the negotiations, it gives me a lot of optimism about what we'll see upon the return.

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #212 on: January 01, 2015, 10:11:58 PM »
Ok, the ONLY thing that would keep me away would be, clown costume Wednesdays.
Yes, if each and every Wednesday ALL the characaters and players of City of Heroes were required, by law, to dress up in clown costumes.  I'm allergic to grease paint, and a big red nose would clash with my eyes.

Waffles

• Elite Boss
« Reply #213 on: February 04, 2015, 04:22:32 AM »
Upon hearing the news that we're back in buisness, I run way too fast to my computer, trip over the cat, and faceplant into a pile of conveniently placed landmines, and die @.@

Safehouse

• Elite Boss
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #214 on: February 04, 2015, 03:17:05 PM »
Upon hearing the news that we're back in buisness, I run way too fast to my computer, trip over the cat, and faceplant into a pile of conveniently placed landmines, and die @.@

You would let that stop you?? Clearly you don't love the game as much as I do, because that wouldn't be enough to stop me.

Waffles

• Elite Boss
« Reply #215 on: February 05, 2015, 02:38:47 AM »
You would let that stop you?? Clearly you don't love the game as much as I do, because that wouldn't be enough to stop me.

Indeed. It would stop me.

Temporarily.

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #216 on: February 05, 2015, 07:18:01 AM »
Yes, if each and every Wednesday ALL the characaters and players of City of Heroes were required, by law, to dress up in clown costumes.  I'm allergic to grease paint, and a big red nose would clash with my eyes.

Also, ballarina Thursdays.  I would hate to see Lord Recluse dressed up like a ballarina.

Blackout

• "That guy"
  • Boss
« Reply #217 on: February 05, 2015, 04:44:03 PM »
Also, ballarina Thursdays.  I would hate to see Lord Recluse dressed up like a ballarina.

I'm not so sure about that, I think Recluse would fit a pink tutu rather well :P. I'm also pretty down with the clown thing though, but I'm addicted to killer jester and Harlequin characters so I'm probably (Read, Definitely) biased.

Salud

• Underling
« Reply #218 on: February 05, 2015, 05:00:51 PM »
The only thing that would stop me is the inability to get it running on Linux again.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #219 on: February 05, 2015, 09:59:07 PM »

I totally agree - clown costumes should be Tuesdays or gtfo.