Author Topic: Ko's Twitter 'Rant' About #COH, #SaveCOH, and What the Community is Becoming...  (Read 52177 times)

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
The picture add-ons are awesome! For some reason, in my head, Member 2 was voiced by Banky, from Chasing Amy. :)
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Electric-Knight

• Elite Boss
  • E-K and Malfaz taking a break, drinking tea
    • www.pauldamonthomas.com

I love this community...
--
"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
- Baron Munchausen

http://www.pauldamonthomas.com/

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
That GW2 encounter is just another example of binary thinking that's unfortunately becoming more and more prevalent in society.  You are not with us you are against us and if you still say you are with us then you are an untrustworthy hypocrite.

The question to ask is where did he acquire this perceived attitude about the CoH supporters.  I imagine that there are some who will very vocally declare a fatwa again NCsoft on as many games sites as possible but it doesn't mean they speak for all of us.  As certain religious and political groups have been painted in a poor light because of the very vocal actions of a few it would be sad if CoH becomes known not for the game or the rise of it's players to try to save it but in the destructive zealotry. 

Titan shouldn't be thought of as just a place where rabid anti-NCsoft bigots are found.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

enderbean

• Underling
I saw Ko making comments in a global channel on LoTRO and must say I was so excited to see another CoH player there. I totally agree with what you said. I also never plan on supporting another NCSoft game because this is what I can do as a consumer, but I do not feel the need to rant about that decision to everyone who will listen. Nor do I blame the developers making games for NCSoft.

Also I would love to have more contact with CoH players on LoTRO. My main there is Kinmothras on Gladden.

Mistress Urd

• Elite Boss
I know *I* won't be supporting anything from NCSoft and the only grass roots thing I can do on my end which is not spend money on things they produce/support etc. Frankly its the only thing I can do, that and tell friends and other gamers about NCSoft's history. If that's too "negative" for some people then we will just have to agree to disagree on "negative". 

Samuraiko

• Honorary Paragon Dev and
  • Elite Boss
  • EVERYONE LOOK AWESOME - I'M FILMING!
    • The Wandering Crane
I know *I* won't be supporting anything from NCSoft and the only grass roots thing I can do on my end which is not spend money on things they produce/support etc. Frankly its the only thing I can do, that and tell friends and other gamers about NCSoft's history. If that's too "negative" for some people then we will just have to agree to disagree on "negative". 

When it comes up like this:

Friend: "You know, I'm thinking about getting into an MMO, but I don't know much of what's out there other than WoW."
Me: "Oh, depends on the genre you like. I play LotRO and RIFT, personally, both of which John plays too, but he also gets his scifi thing from STAR TREK ONLINE and TSW."
Friend: "Hmmm... I've seen a lot I like in GUILD WARS, what do you think?"
Me: "Well, personally, what I've seen looks pretty nice, but I'm not interested in it because I'm boycotting NCsoft and because I'm already in two other fantasy games. But there are a lot of folks who like it, so if you want to try it, give it a go."
Friend: "What? Why won't you play stuff that NCsoft makes?"
Me: "Because of how they handled CITY OF HEROES for the longest time, and then slamming the door on it the way they did. I resent the living hell out of them, personally, so I'm expressing my consumer opinion with my wallet."

To me, that's fine. I'm stating my opinion, but if said friend still wants to try it, that's cool.

It's when I hear stuff like:

Rabid fan: "OMG EVERY OTHER GAME SUCKS AND COH WAS THE ONLY THING WORTH PLAYING AND I WONT BE HAPPY UNTIL WHATSHISNAME RUNNING NCSOFT FALLS DOWN AND DIES AND U SHOULD ROT IN HELL BECAUSE YOU WERENT LOGGED INTO AP33 EVERY MINUTE SINCE THE ANNOUNCEMENT AND..."

You know how this rant goes. This, no. These people I want to smack.

Michelle
aka
Samuraiko/Dark_Respite
The game may be gone, but the videos are still here...
http://www.youtube.com/samuraiko
http://cohtube.blogspot.com

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
Unicorns could also be saying they are from COH when in truth they aren't.  Then again there was a reason some CoH players I know called Freedom, Freedumb.  Lets not forget the Pocket D surprises. 

Yes we as a community is one of the best out there.  (Still is in my book) but that don't mean everyone that played or even considers themselves part of the community lives up to the Image.  We are Human after all and when stressed we tend to be jerks even if otherwise we are good folk.

New hero/villain name.

Pocket D Surprise

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
We must all decide for ourselves if the purpose to our words is in the hearing, or the speaking.

doctorlurkin

• Boss
I don't like ncsoft.  I am not giving them any more money.  I'm not playing any of their other games.  I have about 10 free trials in my master account that I'm never going to use.  I have a friend of mine that wants me to try GW2 but I keep telling her that I refuse to be a customer of them.

HOWEVER, I don't wish ill will towards Arenanet or Carbine Studios.  I hope they do well.  I won't play any games that they publish through ncsoft, though.  It doesn't matter to me if other people play their games.  It's their choice.  I choose not to.  I'm not going to fling insults or say I'm any better because of my own personal feelings.  I may not agree with their decision, but I can respect it. 

And THAT, my friends, is what I believe to be the biggest problem.  The lack of respect of other people's decision on what to do after the closure.
Personally, I started playing the Blizzard juggernaut, but I can't get into it with the same enthusiasm. I guess I'm still kinda searching.

There may possibly be people that disagree with me.  Bring on the hate!!!!
I'm not really a doctor, but I've played one on Television!

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
I don't like ncsoft.  I am not giving them any more money.  I'm not playing any of their other games.  I have about 10 free trials in my master account that I'm never going to use.  I have a friend of mine that wants me to try GW2 but I keep telling her that I refuse to be a customer of them.

HOWEVER, I don't wish ill will towards Arenanet or Carbine Studios.  I hope they do well.  I won't play any games that they publish through ncsoft, though.  It doesn't matter to me if other people play their games.  It's their choice.  I choose not to.  I'm not going to fling insults or say I'm any better because of my own personal feelings.  I may not agree with their decision, but I can respect it. 

And THAT, my friends, is what I believe to be the biggest problem.  The lack of respect of other people's decision on what to do after the closure.Personally, I started playing the Blizzard juggernaut, but I can't get into it with the same enthusiasm. I guess I'm still kinda searching.

There may possibly be people that disagree with me.  Bring on the hate!!!!

I dont think it could have been said much better than this.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
It's been said before but it bears repeating.  ANYONE can use the #COH and #SAVECOH hashtags.  There will be plenty of people who will use them IN ORDER to throw discredit on Titan and the movement.  You see a lot of that in the real world and real world causes too.  For all I know, NCSoft is paying people to try and discredit us.  It's cheaper than losing business, after all.

I feel very sorry for Carbine and Arenanet.  I would like to patronize them, but I won't send a thin dime to NCSoft.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
HOWEVER, I don't wish ill will towards Arenanet or Carbine Studios.  I hope they do well.  I won't play any games that they publish through ncsoft, though. 

Which will never happen because they are owned outright by NCsoft.  Now ArenaNet is rumored to have an escape clause, probably because they were the first western company NCsoft bought and the original founders, who are no longer there if I understand correctly, had the wherewithal to include it in the sales agreement.   ArenaNet does seem to have a much longer leash when it comes to operating more independently than other of their western subsidiaries.

No idea about Carbine.  They may have accepted NCsoft as their sugardaddy blindly.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Cobra Man

• Boss
Personally I could care less what people think about NCsoft.

They won't be getting any more of my cash unless they do the honorable thing and allow the CoH IP to be used.

Yes it initially annoyed me to see a GW2 thread here, but I accept that some people will react differently to being shafted by NCsoft and not think anything of playing another NCsoft game.

srmalloy

• Elite Boss
Friend: "Hmmm... I've seen a lot I like in GUILD WARS, what do you think?"
Me: "Well, personally, what I've seen looks pretty nice, but I'm not interested in it because I'm boycotting NCsoft and because I'm already in two other fantasy games. But there are a lot of folks who like it, so if you want to try it, give it a go."
Friend: "What? Why won't you play stuff that NCsoft makes?"
Me: "Because of how they handled CITY OF HEROES for the longest time, and then slamming the door on it the way they did. I resent the living hell out of them, personally, so I'm expressing my consumer opinion with my wallet."

For myself, I would also add "...and from NCSoft's track record, having closed more MMOs than any other company, I think that the risk of having NCSoft decide that Guild Wars isn't 'profitable enough' or doesn't 'align with their corporate plans' and close it is too high for a game that I would want to play over a protracted period; NCSoft yanked one game out from under me, and I would rather not give them the chance to do it again. But that's my experience, and my choice; if you decide that you like Guild Wars and want to play it, it's your decision.

JWBullfrog

• Elite Boss
  • I didn't leave Paragon City. They threw me out!
NC Soft doesn't get my money. Not that I'm trying to boycott or anything like that; they simply do not carry a product I want anymore. That puts them on the same level as the grocery store that doesn't have the ice cream I prefer, or the restaurant that doesn't make the dishes I like, or the gas station that always seems to have their prices a bit higher than everyone else.

I don't love NC Soft. But, I never did.  I don't hate NC Soft either. Right at this point I'm far more apathetic. I simply no longer care (with one small but vital exception) what happens to them or their business.
As long as somebody keeps making up stories for it, the City isn't gone.

LadyShin

• Elite Boss
When heated ranting and raving becomes public, you need to take a step back and take a deep breath.

In such a situation, what would Statesman do? The icon of Paragon City never allowed his allies to succumb to bickering, infighting and overall nastiness. They were, and YOU ARE, better than that.
"Frank! It's the love boat to Cuba! Shuffle board and pineapples filled with rum. Know what they do? They put little paper umbrellas sticking out the top so that when it rains, it don't thin out the liquor."

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
Personally I could care less what people think about NCsoft.

They won't be getting any more of my cash unless they do the honorable thing and allow the CoH IP to be used.

Yes it initially annoyed me to see a GW2 thread here, but I accept that some people will react differently to being shafted by NCsoft and not think anything of playing another NCsoft game.

yeah. if thye come out with another game that is of my interest, I'll play it. In 2005 when I started, I came in knowing I was paying rent. A flag went off when they closed down a game in 2007, reminding me they can close down a game any moment. Then in 2009 that big fiasco let me know they wasnt exactly the best company on the block, but yet I stayed. It was only a matter of time before the game I was playing time is up. Then two more casualties in 2010 at thta point it was certain to be a matter of time. Then it hits in 2012. The ride was over. They did what they track record have shown since 2007. I didnt fool myself into thinking COX was different or untouchable. Profitable or not, all they needed was some reason any reason and then they will close even if it's as small as they didnt like Statesman hair color anymore and didnt want to bother changing it so thus the entire game must go. I think it might have been a bigger shock if it was the first game, period, first game period regardless of the reason a closed game is closed game, if it was their first game closed and they never did it before. But they did it numerous times in the past and thus it was matter of time. Just as it's a matter of time for their current line up. It's the nature of the MMO beast. But I hope with these projects, the people will change that nature into something that can be there for the people while being successful at the same time and will attract people that been waiting for that buisness model where they are in it for the people or have the customers in their minds as they operate. If either of these project Z plans pull it off, they have potential to be the industry changer and the big dog on the street if better customer service is what people are truely looking for. On the other end though they have much at stake. They know what it's like to be burnt and thus if they burn people they will be considered worse than NCSoft.

Colette

• Elite Boss
"...what would Statesman do? The icon of Paragon City never allowed his allies to succumb to bickering, infighting and overall nastiness. They were, and YOU ARE, better than that."

Point taken. However, it is in the heroic nature to take fierce, even violent exception to others' sins, especially sins that have a profound effect upon others. That is perhaps what separates a hero from a saint, two very different archetypes. So, while I haven't gone blind judgmental vigilante yet, I make no apologies for taking NCSoft to task.

As to those who spread bickering, infighting and overall nastiness, that is also their nature. I don't believe they can help themselves, and there's no point preaching to the perverted. A dismal and fatalistic view, I admit.

no hero

• Lieutenant
  • Regens "do it" solo! :)
In such a situation, what would Statesman do? The icon of Paragon City never allowed his allies to succumb to bickering, infighting and overall nastiness. They were, and YOU ARE, better than that.

Bingo! Pokeno!
Samantha:  "I have to ask you a question. It's a good one so think about it. If a Player and a Game love each other, but they just can't seem to get it together, when do you get to that point of enough is enough?"

Jerry:  "Never."

Blackbird71

• Minion
Congratulations on using you right to free speech responsibly and reasonably. The Internet is a woderful tool for establishing the good or bad name of the people and organizations in our world. NCSoft was very foolish to so provoke us for a quick buck.

Sorry for getting up on my soap box here, but this is an all too common misconception that is a major pet peeve of mine.

This has aboslutely nothing to do with "free speech."  In the USA, Freedom of Speech as guaranteed by the Constitution, is the right to protest the actions of the governemnt without fear of reprisal or punishment from that government, or the government being able to silence your opinion.  Once upon a time, those who disagreed with the government and it's laws, and voiced thier opinion, were imprisoned or executed; it is this sort of thing that Freedom of Speech is intended to protect against. 

Internet forum posts about computer games and those who play them is not "free speech," and there is no right being exercised here.  Referring to it as such demeans the actual right and obsucres the importance of its purpose.