Author Topic: Ko's Twitter 'Rant' About #COH, #SaveCOH, and What the Community is Becoming...  (Read 52466 times)

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
Yes, very interesting. Looks like China isn't quite the no-brainer they thought it was going to be.

There is a deadening sameness to GW2. No matter what weapon you use, its just like all the other weapons everyone else has, except in appearance. If you meet another Guardian, guess what? They do pretty much the same thing your Guardian does.

I terribly miss the richly multifacted experience CoX had, where you got to pick what strengths you wanted to enhance, and which weaknesses you wanted to bolster via IOs. We had a few different types of swordspeople. We had different types of healers. We had all sorts of different things. And you had total control over what your character became.

Not in GW2. Everything is the same. I also dont understand what universe the following is supposed to be fun in: I enter a mission, trigger a spawn of fifteen NPCs that come running and swarm me, each of which hits like an Elite Boss. I'm level 15 myself, by the way. In what universe am I supposed to come out on top, in that situation....? I am currently dealing with it by clearing the mission after leveling up at least four times, then going back in. FAIL!

*big sigh*

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
I enter a mission, trigger a spawn of fifteen NPCs that come running and swarm me, each of which hits like an Elite Boss. I'm level 15 myself, by the way. In what universe am I supposed to come out on top, in that situation....?
The Freeemiverse.

Adelante

• Boss

There is a deadening sameness to GW2. No matter what weapon you use, its just like all the other weapons everyone else has, except in appearance. If you meet another Guardian, guess what? They do pretty much the same thing your Guardian does. ....
Not in GW2. Everything is the same..... I'm level 15 myself, by the way. In what universe am I supposed to come out on top, in that situation....? I am currently dealing with it by clearing the mission after leveling up at least four times, then going back in. FAIL!

*big sigh*

Well, to be fair you mentioned being 20-something in a previous post.  You don't really have enough Trait points to specialize your character until post-40.  In GW2 your Traits are much more the way for your character to stand out than just your weapons/armor.  Tying half of your skills to your weapon(s) is actually pretty slick, a Hammer wielded by a Warrior is very different from a Hammer wielded by a Guardian.  Same goes for all the other weapons, aside from probably the underwater weapons, those are not nearly as diverse.

As far as all characters within a class being the same, entirely untrue post-40 depending on how you build your character to suit your playstyle.  Yes, most Warriors will gravitate towards "Berserker" builds focusing on critical chance & damage, but there are so many different builds out there that it's extremely difficult to 'gimp' yourself.  That Warrior could also be an effective group healer, group buffer,  controller, etc.

On the missions being hard:  Yeah, they can be.  Experiment with different weapons and try to kite the enemies with ranged attacks if you can.  Don't stand in the red circles, and actively dodge enemy attacks.  Most powerful enemy attacks are telegraphed and its up to you to spot those key animations and dodge at the appropriate time.

I have a number of level 80 characters (2 warriors, a necro, a ranger, a guardian, and just recently a thief) and they all play pretty differently from eachother.  I actually made and leveled the second warrior because I got tired of respecing and re-equipping my one warrior for different roles that I enjoyed (first is a berserker-ish build, second is built for group buffs & condition damage).

You can fast travel to any place you've already been if you've unlocked the waypoints.   Also, if you're having trouble finding people in-game to play with feel free to PM me here and I'll send you my info - I typically guest on Dragonbrand (my home server is Devona's Rest) but I'm willing to help out a fellow CoH'er anytime.

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
I have three GW characters, levels 22, 20 and 15 respectively, each of a different class. i think the problem is going to be KEEPING my interest until level 40; right now its an almighty long slog. I'd look you up for sure, but I'm on Gate of Madness.

The longer i am away from it, the more I miss CoX. I sure do miss feeling powerful. I dont feel powerful anywheres else, my characters feel like wet tissue paper.

Excuse the thread-jack, people.

Samuraiko

• Honorary Paragon Dev and
  • Elite Boss
  • EVERYONE LOOK AWESOME - I'M FILMING!
    • The Wandering Crane
I have three GW characters, levels 22, 20 and 15 respectively, each of a different class. i think the problem is going to be KEEPING my interest until level 40; right now its an almighty long slog. I'd look you up for sure, but I'm on Gate of Madness.

The longer i am away from it, the more I miss CoX. I sure do miss feeling powerful. I dont feel powerful anywheres else, my characters feel like wet tissue paper.

It's okay. For myself, I find myself vastly enjoying LORD OF THE RINGS ONLINE and RIFT. My characters there are VERY different, obviously, than any of my COH characters. Still, I went into both games with the hopes of them continuing to inspire my creativity and to just enjoy myself along with several friends. And virtually our ENTIRE LotRO kinship is formed of former COH players, so we tend to laugh and reminisce as we play.

And really, the point of the thread HAS been made - directing any ill will at the appropriate target, in a civilized fashion, so as not to taint the rest of the gamer world's perception of the game and the community that we all love.

Michelle
aka
Samuraiko/Dark_Respite
The game may be gone, but the videos are still here...
http://www.youtube.com/samuraiko
http://cohtube.blogspot.com

Adelante

• Boss

I have another slot free for guesting, so I can come to Gate of Madness if you want to group.  I mostly play in the evenings.  My in-game title/name/whatever is adelante.5763.

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
This past Saturday, I posted a 'rant' on Twitter that came out of reading the comments section on a gaming site in which, as per usual lately, the closure of COH came up. Said comments (on both sides) being rather negative, I found myself posting the following:

On Sunday, I followed it up with:

I know I have a lot of followers on Twitter (many of whom played COH), and since posting those, yes, people have apparently unfollowed me, although no one has outright refuted me for saying any of this. And a couple of folks supported the idea of me sharing it here.

So, here it is. I'm not pointing fingers, I'm not naming names, I'm not saying any one person is to blame. I'm just saying that this is what I see. And I don't like it. At ALL. We're better than this, guys.

Michelle
aka
Samuraiko/Dark_Respite

oh... ummm *redirects orbital lance from carving NCSoft hate slogans into the moon into space instead*

yeah.. I suppose even praetorians should have a bit of self respect before venting out what we feel for NCSoft.

I know sometimes even here on titan I have been a bit heavy in my language towards them.

BUT... GRRRRR... sometimes I .. hate them sooooooo very much.... I apologize for those times of extreme anger.

words cannot truely express the pain NCSoft has brought to me and I'm sure others.
There is always another way. But it might not work exactly like you may desire.

A wise old rabbit once told me "Never give-up!, Trust your instincts!" granted the advice at the time led me on a tripped-out voyage out of an asteroid belt, but hey it was more impressive than a bunch of rocks and space monkies.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
oh... ummm *redirects orbital lance from carving NCSoft hate slogans into the moon into space instead*

yeah.. I suppose even praetorians should have a bit of self respect before venting out what we feel for NCSoft.

I know sometimes even here on titan I have been a bit heavy in my language towards them.

BUT... GRRRRR... sometimes I .. hate them sooooooo very much.... I apologize for those times of extreme anger.

words cannot truely express the pain NCSoft has brought to me and I'm sure others.
The issue is less about how one feels, less about how one chooses to express that feeling, and more about whether one feels compelled to express that feeling to people who have not asked to be exposed to that feeling.

Consider that I would be seen as just as obnoxious if I constantly posted how much I like french fries in every forum anyone mentions anything remotely related to food.

Also:

Team Lead: Anyone have any friends that could fill the last spot?
(the 5th person on our party had to leave because his kids were acting up)
Me: Let me ask my guildmates.
Member: What guild?
Me: JC.  A bunch of us came over from City of Heroes.
Member2: I love French Fries.
Me: Err... me too?
Member: Don't eat french fries, I'm a vegetarian.
TL: Any replies?
Me: Not yet.
Member2: I really really love french fries.  Mostly McDonalds fries.
Me: Uh, yeah.  Sure.
Member2:  Do you go to McDonalds?
Me:  Err... sometimes, but I often eat the curly fries at Jack in the Box.
Member2:  So in other words you are a [bleeping] traitor.
Me:  No, I ... wait, what?
TL: Whoa
Member: I like Chili!  Vegetarian chili of course.
Member2: You go on and on [I don't remember everything he said, but it was a bile-filled verbal rampage calling my sexuality, my ancestry, and potential progeny's feelings towards me into question] but when it comes down to it you are supporting the company that makes horrible french fries!
Me:  What the heck?  Can we stop talking about french fries and get to this mission?
Member2: [ All capital letters, swears ] YOU [bleep] YOU [bleep] YOU
TL boots Member2, asks if we can break for lunch.

See, pretty obnoxious.  Or what used to pass for an average Saturday on Triumph's global channels.

pewlagon

• Boss
Arcana... I need a lunch break now...

Kuriositys Kat

• Lieutenant
Dang I miss the drama of Triumph Globals......

Not only  do I need lunch I need a cuppa too
"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, and somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do!" - The Doctor

Cobra Man

• Boss

I know I have a lot of followers on Twitter (many of whom played COH), and since posting those, yes, people have apparently unfollowed me, although no one has outright refuted me for saying any of this. And a couple of folks supported the idea of me sharing it here.

So, here it is. I'm not pointing fingers, I'm not naming names, I'm not saying any one person is to blame. I'm just saying that this is what I see. And I don't like it. At ALL. We're better than this, guys.

Michelle
aka
Samuraiko/Dark_Respite

First off, I've been a fan of your work for years, but I feel the need to respond here.

Blame is an easy word to use, but in this case it's incorrect.

Betrayal - by NCsoft - is far more appropriate.

You may not like the negativity towards ArenaNet and Carbine etc but I find myself hoping for nothing but total failure for them, such is my utter disappointment with the actions of NCsoft.

I could care less what anyone else thinks of my position on that.

NCsoft can go to Hell  - and so can any company that associates itself with them.

Not one penny of mine will go to any company that does business with NCsoft.

If that makes you uncomfortable then so be it.

I know that I'm better than them.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
Cobra, that's not what she's talking about. She's not talking about your feelings. She's not talking about voicing your feelings where and as appropriate.

She's talking about going off on NCsoft in every article, every thread, every conversation that even comes remotely close to being related. Bashing NCsoft at every opportunity. Calling names and being mean. Disparaging and insulting people who either a) support NCsoft or b) support a game that happens to be published by NCsoft.

None of that is called for. None of that shines a welcome light on our cause. NONE OF THAT IS HELPFUL.

PS; the grammar bitch in me points out that 'could care less' means you care a little, and you could reduce the amount of caring you feel. 'Couldn't care less' means you don't care at all, and there is no way for you reduce the amount of caring you feel. Since you are so adamant about your opinion of NCsoft, I'm sure you'd want to be clearer that you couldn't, in fact, care less. ;)
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

houtex

• Elite Boss
  • I was the turkey all along! MEE!
Yes, Cobra, it makes me uncomfortable, but only because you are negative to not only NCSoft, but the poor bystanders that had nothing to do with the CoH closure, and who's products were established and/or being built way way before this closure happened.

Be like saying "I hope that ALL the Home Depots go out of business because I got a crappy Black and Decker power drill, and Black and Decker won't fix it when it broke.  Screw Home Depot."

Or maybe "I hope All the Ford Dealerships in the lands go out of business because I bought one, and Ford's warranty program won't cover the brake pads.  Frack them all."

I mean, really.  Kinda harsh, man.   Although if it happens, you'll sort of have your wish.  If NCSoft fails, they will automatically fail with them.  It is MORE likely that NCSoft will cut them off before NCSoft fails.  Whether that's shutdown or sale, who knows.  But yeah, they'll be the victims before NCSoft is of failure.

I must say, though, that you are definitely NOT "better than them" if that's your attitude about it.  You have sunk a little lower, in fact, in advocating a scorched earth issue like that.  I'm glad you don't care about my opinion on this, though, so I expect you to not respond to this at all. 

/I wonder what'll happen now... *look of pondering*

Cobra Man

• Boss
Cobra, that's not what she's talking about. She's not talking about your feelings. She's not talking about voicing your feelings where and as appropriate.

She's talking about going off on NCsoft in every article, every thread, every conversation that even comes remotely close to being related. Bashing NCsoft at every opportunity. Calling names and being mean. Disparaging and insulting people who either a) support NCsoft or b) support a game that happens to be published by NCsoft.

None of that is called for. None of that shines a welcome light on our cause. NONE OF THAT IS HELPFUL.

PS; the grammar bitch in me points out that 'could care less' means you care a little, and you could reduce the amount of caring you feel. 'Couldn't care less' means you don't care at all, and there is no way for you reduce the amount of caring you feel. Since you are so adamant about your opinion of NCsoft, I'm sure you'd want to be clearer that you couldn't, in fact, care less. ;)

Honestly?

I could care less what anyone thinks of my position on this.....

To clarify matters about NCsoft ... I wouldn't piss on them if they were on fire.

ArenaNet and Carbine .... others can do what they want with their products.

Me? I'll have nothing to do with their products - or any other company that deals with NCsoft.

I won't simply roll over here and pretend that everything's hunky dory.

Screw that.

I've used the time since the game ended to have a think about what happened - and why it happened.

The net result is always the same.

NCsoft betrayed every single one of us, and if they have their way we will never get to play the game ever again.

The time for subtlety is over.

Let NCsoft and their collaborators know that what they have done is inexcusable and unacceptable - by whatever means. 

I'll say it again .... NCsoft have zero intention of releasing the IP for CoH and they fully expect the Save CoH movement to slowly fade away over time.

Personally, I choose to take exception with that and if it makes people uncomfortable then ... that's their problem.

Cobra Man

• Boss
Yes, Cobra, it makes me uncomfortable, but only because you are negative to not only NCSoft, but the poor bystanders that had nothing to do with the CoH closure, and who's products were established and/or being built way way before this closure happened.

Be like saying "I hope that ALL the Home Depots go out of business because I got a crappy Black and Decker power drill, and Black and Decker won't fix it when it broke.  Screw Home Depot."

Or maybe "I hope All the Ford Dealerships in the lands go out of business because I bought one, and Ford's warranty program won't cover the brake pads.  Frack them all."

I mean, really.  Kinda harsh, man.   Although if it happens, you'll sort of have your wish.  If NCSoft fails, they will automatically fail with them.  It is MORE likely that NCSoft will cut them off before NCSoft fails.  Whether that's shutdown or sale, who knows.  But yeah, they'll be the victims before NCSoft is of failure.

I must say, though, that you are definitely NOT "better than them" if that's your attitude about it.  You have sunk a little lower, in fact, in advocating a scorched earth issue like that.  I'm glad you don't care about my opinion on this, though, so I expect you to not respond to this at all. 

/I wonder what'll happen now... *look of pondering*

Harsh?

How much harsher can it get?

Our game has been shut down and NCsoft are happy with that situation.

Sometimes a stand has to be made.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
And once again, you've failed to read what people are saying. And you've also said, again, that you could care less - when in reality you mean you couldn't. Words have a meaning, and it's best to use the one that means what you are trying to say. It's also best to read what people are writing instead of glossing over things and then talking about something sort of related.

No one is saying you can't feel that way. No one is saying you can't talk about feeling that way. No one is saying you're a bad person.

What we're saying is that there are some people that are going apeshit overboard about it and need to calm the fuck down.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Lightslinger

• Elite Boss
  • @Lightslinger, Virtue
I'm coming at this from a strange viewpoint: NCsoft was well within their rights to close CoH, they only went wrong by hoarding the IP.

Disclaimer: I believe the shutdown was premature and hoarding the IP has bought NCsoft way too much bad press. I have a twitter account just for #SaveCoH and making fun of NCsoft for this.

Let me elaborate. I own a catering business and my Dad runs a restaurant. People love our food. In some cases I'd say people are addicted. It's unique too, can't get what we cook just anywhere. As business owners we may one day decide to retire and selling out may not be worth it, or maybe we don't want our food/recipes/legacy in someone else's hands so we just close. Should our customers now hate and despise us for that? Should the government force us to stay open or make us hand over all our recipes? No, we own that business and that's that. Yeah some people might be sad we're closing but why hate us now?

NCsoft bought CoH and in my opinion kept it alive years beyond what Cryptic would have. Cryptic had slashed CoH down to the sub-skeletal 15 dev crew, CoH was being put out to pasture. Then NCsoft bought out CoH and invested in it in a BIG way.

Then we come to the closure. NCsoft wants games that perform well in all markets, CoH didn't fly in Korea. CoH was making a profit, but NCsoft felt they could get a bigger return on their investment in other games. CoH was an older, visibly aging game, they might have felt it was all downhill from here so why not close while on top.

For whatever the reason, NCsoft was well within their rights to close CoH. It was unfortunate, it sucked, I miss it every single day, but being mad at them accomplishes nothing. For me I take those emotions and make them into hope. Hope for a Plan Z, hope for a Task Force Hail Mary that finds a buyer and convinces NCsoft to sell, hope for a coder working their ass off to rebuild our game from scratch as a community server.

There's a lot of things to be hopeful about. Hope is what CoH is now. If all CoH has become is hating NCsoft...no thanks.

Cobra Man

• Boss
And once again, you've failed to read what people are saying. And you've also said, again, that you could care less - when in reality you mean you couldn't. Words have a meaning, and it's best to use the one that means what you are trying to say. It's also best to read what people are writing instead of glossing over things and then talking about something sort of related.

No one is saying you can't feel that way. No one is saying you can't talk about feeling that way. No one is saying you're a bad person.

What we're saying is that there are some people that are going apeshit overboard about it and need to calm the pancake down.

I have certainly not failed to read what people are saying

I understand precisely what people are saying here. I just don't agree with what's being said.

As for the grammar Nazi thing ... I could care less :)

Cobra Man

• Boss
If all CoH has become is hating NCsoft...no thanks.

It's not about hating NCsoft.

It's entirely about disagreeing with their actions regarding the closure of CoH - and by what means you can express that.

I have taken it upon myself to boycott any company that has dealings with NCsoft. It's a small gesture, but it's mine to make.

If more people take a similar stand then perhaps the message will get to NCsoft.

Anyways .. it's late here (05:20) and I'm off to bed ....

« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 05:21:39 AM by Cobra Man »