Author Topic: Ko's Twitter 'Rant' About #COH, #SaveCOH, and What the Community is Becoming...  (Read 52465 times)

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
When heated ranting and raving becomes public, you need to take a step back and take a deep breath.

In such a situation, what would Statesman do?
Technically speaking, the last time that happened Statesman tried to fix the problem all by himself and got killed.

The lesson is, of course, when people think they are fighting the good fight but they are just drawing the ire of the world upon themselves alone, its never a good thing.  Because the devs hate tankers.

Samuraiko

• Honorary Paragon Dev and
  • Elite Boss
  • EVERYONE LOOK AWESOME - I'M FILMING!
    • The Wandering Crane
Technically speaking, the last time that happened Statesman tried to fix the problem all by himself and got killed.

The lesson is, of course, when people think they are fighting the good fight but they are just drawing the ire of the world upon themselves alone, its never a good thing.  Because the devs hate tankers.

*barely manages to avoid spewing water all over her desk*

Michelle
aka
Samuraiko/Dark_Respite
The game may be gone, but the videos are still here...
http://www.youtube.com/samuraiko
http://cohtube.blogspot.com

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
Sorry for getting up on my soap box here, but this is an all too common misconception that is a major pet peeve of mine.

This has aboslutely nothing to do with "free speech."  In the USA, Freedom of Speech as guaranteed by the Constitution, is the right to protest the actions of the governemnt without fear of reprisal or punishment from that government, or the government being able to silence your opinion.  Once upon a time, those who disagreed with the government and it's laws, and voiced thier opinion, were imprisoned or executed; it is this sort of thing that Freedom of Speech is intended to protect against. 

Internet forum posts about computer games and those who play them is not "free speech," and there is no right being exercised here.  Referring to it as such demeans the actual right and obsucres the importance of its purpose.
Actually, that's an incorrect interpretation of the first amendment to the US Constitution.  The first amendment does not explicitly grant free speech nor does it have anything to do with protesting the government.  The first amendment actually grants the free exercise of speech to be unimpeded by government restriction.  Or to put it more directly, it doesn't grant the right to free speech, it actually limits the right of the government to restrict speech.  Because its a government limitation, not a declaration of a right, there is no specific constitutional protection of free speech itself.  My employer, for example, could restrict my right to say anything at all within the workplace.  They would not be violating a Constitutional right, because I have no right to free speech.  My sole right under the First Amendment is to be free of governmental restrictions. 

The First Amendment makes no reference to protest speech.  Speech need not have a political element or be directed at the government to be protected from government restriction.  For example, the famous Miller Test, flawed though it may be, articulates the principle that the government cannot pass laws that restrict speech even if it is found offensive, unless that speech lacks "literary, artistic, political, or scientific value."  Political speech is only one kind of speech protected by the Miller principle.

Also, like all clauses in the US Constitution, the right described within the First Amendment is not absolute.  Where it contradicts other rights and powers proscribed within the Constitution, its up to judicial review (the courts) to arbitrate the difference.  That is where the power to limits expression comes from: the Constitution directs Congress to pass laws necessary to protect its citizens, and is the principle behind the "shout fire in a theater" rule.  Congress can pass laws that restrict speech when, like in the apocryphal case of shouting fire in a theater, such speech poses a "clear and present danger" to people Congress has both a right and a responsibility to safeguard against.

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 02:30:09 AM by JanessaVR »

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
Case in point.
Ok...wow.  I...kind of...lack the words here...

Triplash

• Elite Boss

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
Ok...wow.  I...kind of...lack the words here...
Did you know that a 0.022 scale Deathstar made from Lego can not be build on the planet Earth? It would have to be assembled in Space.

All you need to know about building a Lego scale Deathstar.
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

houtex

• Elite Boss
  • I was the turkey all along! MEE!
Case in point.

I LOLed here:
What colours will the Open Source Death Star be?
If we let everyone choose the colour of one piece it'll pobably look grey anyway so we'll either have a poll or paint it rainbow colours. Yes there will be a smiley on it.

Awesome.  I *almost* clicked donate for this alone. :)

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 07:12:05 AM by JanessaVR »

Adelante

• Boss
As an amusing (and rather more clever dig than I would have given them credit for) follow-up I received in my mailbox yesterday 30 pieces of silver from that particular person I posted about here. 

Samuraiko

• Honorary Paragon Dev and
  • Elite Boss
  • EVERYONE LOOK AWESOME - I'M FILMING!
    • The Wandering Crane
As an amusing (and rather more clever dig than I would have given them credit for) follow-up I received in my mailbox yesterday 30 pieces of silver from that particular person I posted about here. 

Just think, at the rate that NCsoft's stock is dropping, you can buy the company with that. :)

Michelle
aka
Samuraiko/Dark_Respite
The game may be gone, but the videos are still here...
http://www.youtube.com/samuraiko
http://cohtube.blogspot.com

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 07:45:55 AM by JanessaVR »

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 08:45:01 AM by Taceus Jiwede »

Knightslayer

• Elite Boss
    • Monster Game!
Also look at it this way, when NCSoft killed off other games before CoH, the players probably felt the same way as we did.  They probably told people to boycott NCSoft and many people probably did and they were justified to do so, and all of those players never had the chance to take part in the magic that was City of Heroes.

Considering no NCSoft article can appear without -someone- saying something bad about them I'd say that what goes around comes around.
For every game they've shutdown there is a portion of that playerbase that will always hold a grudge against them - the CoH player base just happens to be larger than the previous games they shut down - y'know, with it still being profitable and all that  ;)
Of course for every one of those that does avoid them they probably have two or three that either didn't care about what they did, or have never heard about NCSoft, or don't put much stock in the opinion of some random strangers on the internet.

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
Its just too bad the only way to support these developers is by somewhat supporting NCSoft even if you aren't actively supporting them, you just have to ask your self is it more important that hundreds of thousands employees remain employed and developers having a chance to make their hard work and dreams come to life with NCSoft getting some on the side, or that NCSoft pay and burn for what they have done.
Problem is, none of those developement studios currently attached to NCSoft is safe from the chopping block.

I believe I have determined NCSofts decision making paradigm.

Dice

Only they think that every decision is a trivial one, and it doesn't seem to be an experiment.

It boggles the mind.
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
Problem is, none of those developement studios currently attached to NCSoft is safe from the chopping block.

I agree, I am even sure that at this point most of the development studios attached to NCSoft recognize it is a very real possibility they will get the chop.

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
FX: $50 retail (NCsoft doesn't get all of it) once is a lot less than the $140 a year I was spending on CoH.  So it's slightly more than zero the boycotters are giving but NCsoft is still losing money from me for shutting down CoH.  Their loss.  Plus if you want to think about it, for how long does their share of my retail purchase help pay for my use of their servers and bandwidth?  I'm costing them money in the long run.

I hear GW2 is about to release an expansion. I couldn't WAIT to see CoX expansions, and when I had the opportunity, paid for them in advance - happily.

I am not purchasing this, or any other GW2 expansion. Nope. For one thing, my highest level character is level 22.... but even had I seen all the content so far, I still won't be buying.

I am hoping the game gets more interesting in higher levels, but right now I am playing occasionally and sort of having to force myself to do it. I LIKE my character, I just find the game rather boring... jog, jog jog everywhere. This does not bode well for my spending freely in the cash shop, my problems with NCSoft to the side.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
I hear GW2 is about to release an expansion. I couldn't WAIT to see CoX expansions, and when I had the opportunity, paid for them in advance - happily.

I am not purchasing this, or any other GW2 expansion. Nope. For one thing, my highest level character is level 22.... but even had I seen all the content so far, I still won't be buying.

I am hoping the game gets more interesting in higher levels, but right now I am playing occasionally and sort of having to force myself to do it. I LIKE my character, I just find the game rather boring... jog, jog jog everywhere. This does not bode well for my spending freely in the cash shop, my problems with NCSoft to the side.

Actually...
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot