Author Topic: WildStar Online  (Read 57097 times)

damienray

• Lieutenant
Re: WildStar Online
« Reply #80 on: March 27, 2013, 08:20:30 PM »
If "dodge/block" and "PvP" are what the current gamers are looking for, then I am spoiled by CoH... never touched PvP, and do not like "dodge/block" in these newfangled excuses for mmo's. Bah humbug.

Mistress Urd

• Elite Boss
« Reply #81 on: March 27, 2013, 08:52:29 PM »
Its not easy to keep a PVE and PVP in the same game happy. Although some might disagree, I thought CoH did the right thing by cutting off its losses and abandoning PVP. If anything they already wasted too much on it.

There are many good focused PVP games with no PVE which is actually my preference. TF2 for example. If a game does PVE well, it should stick with what it does well, not try an create something that it wasn't designed for.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #82 on: March 28, 2013, 06:31:24 AM »
If "dodge/block" and "PvP" are what the current gamers are looking for, then I am spoiled by CoH... never touched PvP, and do not like "dodge/block" in these newfangled excuses for mmo's. Bah humbug.
WildStar does not have block - or at least does not rely on it, as I have never used it (don't even know if it exists!). It encourage you to "dodge" stuff, but they are really well telegraphed. The combat is very dynamic, and the enemies will move around so you'll have to move around for your attacks to be more effective anyway, so you'll already be active in combat - the attack telegraphs are just another reason to keep moving.

Honestly, my default attack sequence in any fight in WildStar (when I got to play - I have compatibility issues with my hardware atm so can't play) was attack, strafe or turn, attack, strafe or turn, repeat, repeat, repeat. It very quickly became second nature instead of feeling awkward like it did at first.

And you don't HAVE to dodge most stuff. If you're want, you can heal up or kite enemies until you naturally regen from most telegraphed moves. Note there are some moves that will totally lay waste to you, if not kill you outright, but they are few and far between - mostly archvillain equivalents or world bosses.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #83 on: March 28, 2013, 12:42:08 PM »
Since you seem to have played it, one question. How does it handle teaming, do you know? Does anything scale at all, or is it the same as most MMOs where a single teammate renders 99% of the game trivially easy?

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #84 on: March 29, 2013, 08:44:34 AM »
Since you seem to have played it, one question. How does it handle teaming, do you know? Does anything scale at all, or is it the same as most MMOs where a single teammate renders 99% of the game trivially easy?
Not trivially easy, but it doesn't scale like City did. Newer spawns seem to spawn bigger and/or faster with more people around - and most of the content is NOT instanced so even if you're not teamed, having people in your area seems to generate more dudes.

Note my repeated use of 'seems' - the devs haven't said one way or another...in fact, I'm not even sure the question's been asked, to be honest.

Additionally, I have only ever teamed a few times, and once was for a dungeon so I'm not the best judge of it. I have weird hours, so when I was able to play, I was often either the only person online or one of a tiny handful. I also level excruciatingly slow (my game time involves lots of exploring and poking things, less killing and exp - this is more pronounced during beta testing, because most people are there to test the combat, story lines, mechanics, etc), so I was rarely of a decent level to team up.

I also never teamed up with someone either much higher or much lower than me, so I don't know how the game handles that. Whether or not there's sidekicking, whether or not a high-level person on your team guts your rewards, or what. I don't know.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Lightslinger

• Elite Boss
  • @Lightslinger, Virtue
« Reply #85 on: March 29, 2013, 04:52:59 PM »
Ahem.

So a key feature I keep hearing a lot of people hyped about is housing. The videos are definitely awesome. Anyone got any hands on experience with the housing system?

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #86 on: March 29, 2013, 07:11:52 PM »
They added housing after I couldn't play anymore due to hardware issues so I don't have any first-hand experience, but the talk has been pretty much entirely positive among the testers posting on the sekrit forums.

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Golden Girl

• One Liners and Winky Faces
  • Elite Boss
    • Heroes and Villains
« Reply #87 on: March 29, 2013, 07:56:58 PM »
Other than CoH it was very self evident to anyone that those games were or became money sinks and NCsoft had every right to close them.  Do you blame Ford for discontinuing the Edsel?  How about Chrysler with their K-cars?  Products that are no longer profitable or profitable enough get canned.  Fact of life.

Ford and Chrysler didn't take away those models from people who were still using them.

"Heroes and Villains" website - http://www.heroes-and-villains.com
"Heroes and Villains" on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
"Heroes and Villains" on Twitter - https://twitter.com/Plan_Z_Studios
"Heroes and Villains" teaser trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnjKqNPfFv8
Artwork - http://goldengirlcoh.deviantart.com

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #88 on: March 29, 2013, 08:41:29 PM »
Ford and Chrysler didn't take away those models from people who were still using them.

Hey there she is.  ;D

True, poor analogy since the game fits more as a service than a product.  It's more like your gym, favorite bar or restaurant closing than a discontinued product.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

UruzSix

• Lieutenant
« Reply #89 on: March 30, 2013, 01:37:01 AM »
Hey there she is.  ;D

True, poor analogy since the game fits more as a service than a product.  It's more like your gym, favorite bar or restaurant closing than a discontinued product.

I miss Ecto-Cooler and pudding pops. :(

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #90 on: March 30, 2013, 02:24:24 AM »
Not trivially easy, but it doesn't scale like City did. Newer spawns seem to spawn bigger and/or faster with more people around - and most of the content is NOT instanced so even if you're not teamed, having people in your area seems to generate more dudes.

Note my repeated use of 'seems' - the devs haven't said one way or another...in fact, I'm not even sure the question's been asked, to be honest.

Additionally, I have only ever teamed a few times, and once was for a dungeon so I'm not the best judge of it. I have weird hours, so when I was able to play, I was often either the only person online or one of a tiny handful. I also level excruciatingly slow (my game time involves lots of exploring and poking things, less killing and exp - this is more pronounced during beta testing, because most people are there to test the combat, story lines, mechanics, etc), so I was rarely of a decent level to team up.

I also never teamed up with someone either much higher or much lower than me, so I don't know how the game handles that. Whether or not there's sidekicking, whether or not a high-level person on your team guts your rewards, or what. I don't know.

Sounds like typical MMO fare to me, IE: not really 'multiplayer' at all. Single player spawns for almost all of the game except the small designated spots where you're forced to have a team because the mobs that probably look exactly the same as the mobs a couple of spawns over have massively increased health and damage for no good reason. And for extra annoyance, apparently a respawn rate that becomes more and more infuriating the more people are nearby, whether they're teamed or just happen to be nearby for their own reasons.

But maybe I'm looking at it more pessimistically than I need to.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #91 on: March 30, 2013, 04:46:54 AM »
Sounds like typical MMO fare to me, IE: not really 'multiplayer' at all. Single player spawns for almost all of the game except the small designated spots where you're forced to have a team because the mobs that probably look exactly the same as the mobs a couple of spawns over have massively increased health and damage for no good reason. And for extra annoyance, apparently a respawn rate that becomes more and more infuriating the more people are nearby, whether they're teamed or just happen to be nearby for their own reasons.

But maybe I'm looking at it more pessimistically than I need to.
Yeah, you're unnecessarily pessimistic.

1) Your first complaint is a nonstarter. The only difficult open-world spawns are World Bosses (very obvious to spot - usually ginormous) and the occasional "elite" area (maybe one small part of a zone, some zones don't even have one), which is very obviously NOT a normal place (you're only taken to "elite" spots by "elite" quests that are very obviously labeled "elite") and they do NOT look the same as non-"elites".

And there is always a good reason to have pockets of harder enemies - MMOs are supposed to be team centric (with the allowance and occasionally the encouragement of soloing - and I say this as a die-hard soloist) - having pockets of difficult enemies encourages team play, and it also gives those minmax crazies a place to test their ridonkulous builds against enemies that are supposed to be taken down by multiple players.

Dungeons are where you find most of the difficult enemies. I solo'd almost entirely and never had trouble with surprise "elites". Of course, I think maybe I am more observant than the average MMO player, so maybe YOU might have trouble with surprise "elites".

2) I never once had any trouble with the ramping-up respawn rate in high-traffic areas. After all, like most MMOs out there that do it, the ramp-up mechanic only activates when people are killing them faster, so to keep up with the people in the area. So more critters in the area is balanced by more people killing them.

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #92 on: March 30, 2013, 04:51:48 AM »

Stop talking about NCsoft. This thread is for talking about WildStar. Please talk about WildStar.

You've been repeatedly asked to not talk about NCsoft in the game threads. It applies to every single NCsoft game thread, not just the ones where we have come in to berate you guys for it.

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #93 on: March 30, 2013, 08:45:32 AM »
Sounds like Wildstar is another game I have to check out.

Maressa

• Boss
« Reply #94 on: March 30, 2013, 12:21:18 PM »
My dear husband wrote about WildStar after we played with it a bit and went to the panel at PAX. I'm still not sure how I feel about it.

Edit: Here's a link to the article he wrote http://www.onrpg.com/MMO/WildStar-Online/news/WildStar-PAX-East-Coverage--As-Long-as-I-Laugh

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #95 on: March 31, 2013, 12:04:47 AM »
1) Your first complaint is a nonstarter. The only difficult open-world spawns are World Bosses (very obvious to spot - usually ginormous) and the occasional "elite" area (maybe one small part of a zone, some zones don't even have one), which is very obviously NOT a normal place (you're only taken to "elite" spots by "elite" quests that are very obviously labeled "elite") and they do NOT look the same as non-"elites".

Having not played this game, I wasn't aware of that. I was referring to other games I have played, most notably WoW, in which elite enemies almost never look any different from the non-elite enemies nearby, and have no determinable reason for being ten times as strong.

And there is always a good reason to have pockets of harder enemies - MMOs are supposed to be team centric (with the allowance and occasionally the encouragement of soloing - and I say this as a die-hard soloist) - having pockets of difficult enemies encourages team play, and it also gives those minmax crazies a place to test their ridonkulous builds against enemies that are supposed to be taken down by multiple players.

At the same time having the difficult enemies confined to these little pockets, which are never anywhere near as numerous as the entire rest of the game with easily soloable enemies, encourages people to never team up unless they have to. Compare to CoH where outside of a few rare exceptions there was never a penalty for teaming up. While in most MMOs, and apparently this one as well, if you team up when you're not supposed to everything suddenly becomes trivial, usually to the point that they may as well not bother spawning the mobs at all for how much challenge they present. Because, you know, why would I ever want to keep doing what I was doing rather than stop and do something else just because a friend wanted to join me?

Dungeons are where you find most of the difficult enemies. I solo'd almost entirely and never had trouble with surprise "elites". Of course, I think maybe I am more observant than the average MMO player, so maybe YOU might have trouble with surprise "elites".

I don't, usually. I just disagree with elite mobs as a concept. CoH's method of throwing larger groups of the same guys at you was infinitely superior, in my opinion.

2) I never once had any trouble with the ramping-up respawn rate in high-traffic areas. After all, like most MMOs out there that do it, the ramp-up mechanic only activates when people are killing them faster, so to keep up with the people in the area. So more critters in the area is balanced by more people killing them.

That's just me taking the worst possible outcome. Again, I haven't played this so can't directly comment on it, but I've played games with stupidly fast respawn rates and it's just as infuriating as I said. As an example, in some places in Guild Wars 2 it's possible to stand in one place and fight the same three enemies literally forever, because they respawn almost instantly after you kill them. I doubt this game is that bad, but still.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 09:37:13 AM by General Idiot »

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #96 on: March 31, 2013, 03:24:45 AM »
Yeah, I'm just going to not respond to that because you are incredibly jaded on this topic (not WildStar in particular, but the bug-in-the-bonnets you seem to have). :)

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #97 on: March 31, 2013, 09:36:34 AM »
Sorry. I'll stop beating this dead horse now and go bury it.

UruzSix

• Lieutenant
« Reply #98 on: April 01, 2013, 02:20:28 PM »
Since we have an actual beta tester (of sorts) on board...

Does Wildstar go back to first-come-first-serve mob tagging and resource gathering? GW2 spoiled me horribly on everyone getting XP, loot, and nodes, I'd have a harder time going back to the older methods at this point.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #99 on: April 01, 2013, 06:26:02 PM »
Since we have an actual beta tester (of sorts) on board...

Does Wildstar go back to first-come-first-serve mob tagging and resource gathering? GW2 spoiled me horribly on everyone getting XP, loot, and nodes, I'd have a harder time going back to the older methods at this point.
The player pool was small enough and polite enough that I never actually competed for enemies or crafting nodes, so I'm honestly not sure. I really wish I could get back in to play now that the number of testers is bigger (about double what I came in with).

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal