Author Topic: WildStar Online  (Read 57730 times)

Lightslinger

• Elite Boss
  • @Lightslinger, Virtue
Re: WildStar Online
« Reply #100 on: April 02, 2013, 09:22:21 PM »
It's good to hear the beta is expanding quickly, hope I hear something soon. Can't wait to roll up a Spellslinger named Lightslinger :)

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #101 on: April 12, 2013, 06:38:37 AM »
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #102 on: April 12, 2013, 08:24:20 AM »
I love that pic. I love the WildStar logo. I have no idea why.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
« Reply #103 on: May 23, 2013, 08:45:11 PM »
Some new videos have been posted about Paths -- one an animated flick, the other a Devspeak episode. Wildstar's definitely keeping up the sense of humor in this game, which is kinda refreshing to me.

http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/the-game/paths/

Heroette

• Elite Boss
  • Penelope Pistol lives forever in my heart.
« Reply #104 on: May 23, 2013, 08:50:35 PM »
I got invited to the stress test for this weekend.  I am really looking forward to it.  Of course, I agreed with the NDA so I won't say anything specific but I will be able to tell you if I like it or not.

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
« Reply #105 on: July 11, 2013, 09:41:18 PM »
The latest DevSpeak video talks about the aiming system, which appears to be a hybrid of sorts. On a side note, the relatively small size of the ability tray seems disappointing to me.

http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/media/videos/devspeak/?utm_campaign=devspeak&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&utm_content=devspeak_aiming

WWE-Tazz

• Underling
Wildstar online
« Reply #106 on: December 27, 2013, 10:20:27 PM »
I am beta testing the up and coming NC Soft title WildStar online, most of the Devs from Wildstar are the old COH devs along with the original vanilla WoW crew, it's pretty fun. Heck the Executive Producer is Jeremy Gaffney, who was the Executive Producer of COH. So anyways I am playing along and I start to notice suspicious COH references hidden in the game, I was thinking "nah couldn't be... that has got to be a coincidence"  and then I come across "You have unlocked the achievement - Bughunter".

I know many people can't find it in their hearts to forgive NC Soft,  this game is great and if there was any game that is worth putting "The Band" back together for it's WildStar. Anyways I hope to see some of my old friends there and I hope we can set up a great community like we had back when having a community was cool.

Drauger9

• Elite Boss
    • My gaming blog
Re: Wildstar online
« Reply #107 on: December 27, 2013, 10:32:57 PM »
Sorry but I wont be trying WildStar. I had thought about it for awhile and it does look like fun. Part of it is guilt on my part. Cause I played GW2 after City of Heroes shut down and GW2 just isn't for me. Part of it is because I really don't believe that I'd play WildStar long term. Mostly though, besides City of Heroes NCSoft doesn't have any games that really appeal to me and since then I've learned more about them. I've started thinking are they in general a good company to invest ANY kind of money into?

Look at the last time they updated any info on Blade and Soul...... it's been a year since any news updates on the official site. Sound like good "business" practices to you?

I wish all the COH devs the best but I will not be running into them in-game playing Wild Star.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #108 on: December 27, 2013, 11:04:42 PM »
Sorry but I wont be trying WildStar. I had thought about it for awhile and it does look like fun. Part of it is guilt on my part. Cause I played GW2 after City of Heroes shut down and GW2 just isn't for me. Part of it is because I really don't believe that I'd play WildStar long term. Mostly though, besides City of Heroes NCSoft doesn't have any games that really appeal to me and since then I've learned more about them. I've started thinking are they in general a good company to invest ANY kind of money into?

Look at the last time they updated any info on Blade and Soul...... it's been a year since any news updates on the official site. Sound like good "business" practices to you?

I wish all the COH devs the best but I will not be running into them in-game playing Wild Star.

That's because of two things.

1) B&S was way behind in their major update for the game in Korea.  They lost a lot of players from the start since nothing new was being released.  They finally did even publicly apologizing for the delay.

2) Looking how well their Korean MMOs have done in the west, they decided to focus on China and it's taking a lot longer to get approval for that and was "required" to tone down the over sexuality of their female characters.  So a lot of the outfits were redone as well as cut scenes, and the jiggle is disabled or extremely minimized.  A lot of development cost is being spent on that port but the rewards could be much greater.

Now upside is all that work for China may make it easier to port to the west especially if they choose to go for a T rating over an M.  Plus the additional content will help as well if it's initially included or just waiting for later release.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Drauger9

• Elite Boss
    • My gaming blog
« Reply #109 on: December 27, 2013, 11:10:56 PM »
WOW lol. I want to say I'm sorry. For what ever reason. I didn't see that this was a long thread. I thought it was a new thread with only one post. LOL!

So I hadn't read the entire thing. Though I do stand by what I've already said. As far as not playing Wildstar.

Take care. :)

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
« Reply #110 on: December 27, 2013, 11:15:43 PM »
TBH, I had merged the topic you had posted in with the previous long-running discussion, if only to keep it all together for reference.

WWE-Tazz

• Underling
« Reply #111 on: December 27, 2013, 11:21:22 PM »
you're quick like that

Drauger9

• Elite Boss
    • My gaming blog
« Reply #112 on: December 27, 2013, 11:24:24 PM »
Ah lol, I thought I was really just that tired and was pondering a nap. :P

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #113 on: December 27, 2013, 11:48:14 PM »
I am beta testing the up and coming NC Soft title WildStar online, most of the Devs from Wildstar are the old COH devs along with the original vanilla WoW crew, it's pretty fun. Heck the Executive Producer is Jeremy Gaffney, who was the Executive Producer of COH.
Uh, Brian Clayton was the exec producer of CoH. Gaffney founded Turbine.

Are you trollin' us? lol
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
  • Crime doesn't pay, evildoers!
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 28, 2013, 01:59:20 AM »
Gaffney was Executive Producer of COH on the NCSoft side several years ago, before Cryptic sold the game to NCSoft. That part is true (but it's a dated fact).

However, this is the first I've heard of any of COH's devs working on any game under NCSoft after the shutdown. But there was a staff of over 80 devs at Paragon Studios; I suppose it's possible that many of the non-core devs might have retained their employment under NCSoft. The studio was shut down, yes, but the studio was just a name and group of people employed by NCSoft.

Even in that case I think it's misleading to say most of the old COH devs are working at Wildstar, even if it's technically true (and I remain skeptical). The core dev team who the community associated with COH are most certainly not working at NCSoft or Carbine.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 02:05:42 AM by Captain Electric »

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #115 on: December 28, 2013, 02:00:26 AM »
I am beta testing the up and coming NC Soft title WildStar online, most of the Devs from Wildstar are the old COH devs along with the original vanilla WoW crew, it's pretty fun. Heck the Executive Producer is Jeremy Gaffney, who was the Executive Producer of COH. So anyways I am playing along and I start to notice suspicious COH references hidden in the game, I was thinking "nah couldn't be... that has got to be a coincidence"  and then I come across "You have unlocked the achievement - Bughunter".

I know many people can't find it in their hearts to forgive NC Soft,  this game is great and if there was any game that is worth putting "The Band" back together for it's WildStar. Anyways I hope to see some of my old friends there and I hope we can set up a great community like we had back when having a community was cool.

What is the game about?

Although I thought the devs went else where? But no matter many people said "Old COX devs are working on STO" and only about two or three are there so I guess it's fair. And depending on how many devs there are two or three may consist of most of the devs working on Wildstar with a couple of WoW thrown in there. Although looking at it again it don't look like saying most o the COH devs are there and more so most of the team are ex COH devs.

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #116 on: December 28, 2013, 02:21:29 AM »
I do like Carbine Studios, and I was interested in the game before CoX was closed.  My position has changed since, of course and I don't want to bring up what has been repeated endlessly the last 16 months since the closure announcement.

So why am I bothering to post at all?  I do like the fact that some companies are willing to take a risk with an MMO concept.  It's odd that it tends to be in MMO's that the more money involved, the less creativity in concept seems to take place.  I wish them luck.
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #117 on: December 28, 2013, 01:04:36 PM »
What is the game about?

Last I checked, it's the usual 'remake vanilla WoW + add ultimately minor features to make it look like we're innovative' completely generic MMO. The setting looks interesting and I'll admit to liking the art style, but I'm fully expecting the game itself to be terrible.

Dollhouse

• Boss
  • "What will happen? Will I dream?"
« Reply #118 on: December 28, 2013, 04:30:22 PM »
Wildstar is one of the few times I've seen humor done well in an MMO (or at least in this one's promo materials...haven't seen the actual game). With the obvious and delightful exception of Melissa Bianco's superb writing in CoH, MMO humor is almost invariably arch, poorly integrated, and generally cringeworthy. Developers create a mostly "serious business" world, then tack on fourth-wall-breaking attempts to be funny.

Wildstar starts with an appropriately cartoonish graphical look, establishes an irreverent, comical approach to the writing from the get-go, and clearly has writers who know what they're doing. Also, establishing a cartoonish look at the start actually makes that whole "gigantic sword" thing not suck. Words can scarce express how much I despised Titan Weapons in CoH, but here they don't seem so ridiculously out of place.

I like how they've set up the class system, too. If you're going to have a class system at all (and TSW shows very clearly it's not necessary), the ability to tweak each of the classes into a wide range of team roles and approaches is way, way better than rigid adherence to the Holy Trinity. CoH showed that the Trinity isn't a given, and Wildstar seems to be doing the same thing, albeit with a different approach. Ironically, while TSW's classless, level-less system mixes things up well in most situations, in the dungeons, the "3 DPS, 1 tank, 1 healer" setup is basically mandatory (and in fact certain specific powers at specific times are essentially required in Nightmare level dungeons).

All in all, I'm actually pretty intrigued by  this game...which I will never play. Because NCSoft.

Exxar

• Lieutenant
« Reply #119 on: December 28, 2013, 11:05:27 PM »
Last I checked, it's the usual 'remake vanilla WoW + add ultimately minor features to make it look like we're innovative' completely generic MMO. The setting looks interesting and I'll admit to liking the art style, but I'm fully expecting the game itself to be terrible.
Having had a short beta run a couple weeks ago, I'd say that Wildstar has more in common with Guild Wars 2 or even The Secret World than with WoW in regards to character building. If I remember correctly, each class has about 40 abilities and you must choose 10 of them to carry on your action bar at any time. So it's kinda like The Secret World with classes and the abilities being unlocked at certain levels instead of according to your priorities. Additionally, there should be some kind of a passive skill tree with branching node lines that was not yet available during my run, so I can see quite a bit of potential there. I still don't forsee the need to roll more than one character of each class, but unless they decide to implement a variation on one of WoW's talent systems instead of the branching tree that was hinted at during my run, the game should end up pretty good. The only real gripe I had was that like in SWTOR each class could use only a single weapon (claws for the stalker, dual... close-range mediguns for the medic etc.) but everything else was screaming awesomness. I was actually so impressed with the game that I decided to buy it for launch after a mere couple days of closed beta, and I'm a guy who waits for MMOs to go into the 20-30 dollar range before committing.