Author Topic: WildStar Online  (Read 57084 times)

Nightwatch

• Lieutenant
Re: WildStar Online
« Reply #60 on: March 25, 2013, 11:35:14 AM »
I just posted a reply on the new Trailer at Youtube.

Well done Atlantea.  Wish I'd done that!
I won't buy NCsoft and I'm looking for a superhero MMO.  I'm out.

UruzSix

• Lieutenant
« Reply #61 on: March 25, 2013, 01:30:04 PM »
If it looks cool, buy it. I will be, twice over (myself and my husband) - and several of my friends are likely to join me. It's frankly a pretty awesome game from the limited amount I've been able to play.

I've been getting - for lack of a better term - 'overhyped' vibes from Wildstar, but hearing this from a beta on the ground is building back some optimism.  :D

DarkCurrent

• Boss
« Reply #62 on: March 25, 2013, 06:55:51 PM »
Auto Assault and Tabula Rasa were straight up failures.  Dungeon Runners was on odd duck, low subscription rate, then F2P.  ExTeel isn't even an MMORPG but it's income was inconsistent and was waning both here and Korea from it's peak.

Other than CoH it was very self evident to anyone that those games were or became money sinks and NCsoft had every right to close them.  Do you blame Ford for discontinuing the Edsel?  How about Chrysler with their K-cars?  Products that are no longer profitable or profitable enough get canned.  Fact of life.

You do if you were an owner of those products.  Fact of business.

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #63 on: March 25, 2013, 11:41:01 PM »
Auto Assault and Tabula Rasa were straight up failures.  Dungeon Runners was on odd duck, low subscription rate, then F2P.  ExTeel isn't even an MMORPG but it's income was inconsistent and was waning both here and Korea from it's peak.

Other than CoH it was very self evident to anyone that those games were or became money sinks and NCsoft had every right to close them.  Do you blame Ford for discontinuing the Edsel?  How about Chrysler with their K-cars?  Products that are no longer profitable or profitable enough get canned.  Fact of life.

I don't deny what you're saying is true. And if I had more space to explain that in my youtube comment I might have. But I've only got so much space and I wanted to get out the central idea.

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #64 on: March 26, 2013, 12:02:29 AM »
As far as being "fair and balanced" goes, I responded to someone on that Youtube video who asked:

"They closed City of Heroes for this crap?"

"No they didn't. Let's be fair - Wildstar has been in development for far too long to say that it was intended to "replace" City of Heroes. Carbine Studios isn't responsible for COH closure. And Wildstar is hardly "crap". It looks like a damn fun game.

I am advising caution in investing in this game ONLY because it's being published by NCSoft. If Carbine was working for almost any other publisher, I'd have no qualms about recommending it. (If this were an EA game I'd advise the same caution.)"

I realistically can't stop anyone who wants to play the game from playing it. Nor should that be a goal.

But people looking to buy any NCSoft product need to know what to expect. When the game is done, it's DONE. They won't sell it, they won't let it go, they'll kill it and sit on the IP forever.

My advice is - If you MUST play an NCSoft title - DON'T. GET. ATTACHED.

Sadly, this is probably good advice for nearly any online game. But much more so with NCSoft.

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #65 on: March 26, 2013, 12:08:54 AM »
On a more positive note, I still like everything that I see about Wildstar. It really does look like a fun game and well thought out. The artstyle is a little goofier than I'm used to generally in an MMO, but that's hardly a bad thing. As someone pointed out above it reminds me a lot of "Space Ace" and other Don Bluth projects like Titan AE. Or later 3D CGI stuff from Dreamworks like Monsters vs Aliens and Megamind.

It also reminds me a bit of Borderlands. But with a more cartoon-like, slapstick take.

As I said - no bad thing.

And it's more Sci-Fi than fantasy (though still a mix) which appeals to me.

I'll never play the game, of course. Damn shame, that. Because seriously this really looks right up my alley in many ways.

DAMN you, NCSoft.

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #66 on: March 26, 2013, 06:03:42 PM »

I think the problem is that NCSoft tends to close things on a whim, profitability has little or nothing to do with it. Plus they will do little or nothing to promote this game after launch, then it'll be all "oh it didnt meet our expectations." Well, duh.

As for me, I do not care for the hyper-stylized character art - so this is still an easy pass for me.

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
  • Crime doesn't pay, evildoers!
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 26, 2013, 07:46:40 PM »
"Of course, following last year's high-profile shuttering of "City of Heroes", the involvement of NCSoft seems to be invoking almost as much fear of abandonment as it is hope for commercial success on/after the "WildStar" release date." -- International Digital Times

My comment below the article:
NCSoft doesn't take care of its most valuable asset--the players, the citizens of these online worlds. The NA market is treated like cattle. All advertising is for build-up, but after release, studios are quickly forgotten about as their earnings are funneled away into buyouts, eastern market grind fests or cooking the books. Because NCSoft is owned by shareholders with competing interests, games are shuttered whether or not they're profitable.

NCSoft is unpredictable; business analysts in NCSoft's own country have recently expressed total bewilderment. They fired the studio behind City of Heroes on the spot, hours after releasing teasers for one of the game's biggest ever updates. Earlier, they had hired Richard Garriott, the creator of the Ultima series of games, to help them get a foothold in the NA market; in return they were to help launch and publicize a new game for Garriott. After Garriott helped NCSoft achieve a strong presence in the west, NCSoft shut his game down just a few months after launch, and forced him to sell his stock early. A jury found NCSoft guilty, even after NCSoft appealed, and Garriott was awarded $32 million in all.

NCSoft is the WORST massive online game publisher IN THE WORLD. Just putting that out there before their shill shows up. I will never put my trust, money, time and commitment into another game published by NCSoft. This isn't merely a boycott--this is a total lack of confidence. NCSoft has abused their studios fans investments too many times. Do not fall for their marketing blitz when this game comes out, or you'll regret it later.

If you're in a studio under NCSoft, get out now. Just leave. Find another job. You will never have any warning. Profitability is not job security. NCSoft will NOT let you buy your IP back. They have never budged on this with ANY studio ever.

(Reposted here and on the Titan forums after a member of the International Digital Times staff deleted this comment. Now you see the sort of thing NCSoft uses its money for instead of advertising.)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 08:14:20 PM by Captain Electric »

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #68 on: March 26, 2013, 08:56:54 PM »
(Reposted here and on the Titan forums after a member of the International Digital Times staff deleted this comment. Now you see the sort of thing NCSoft uses its money for instead of advertising.)

I see your comment on there... twice.

Probably they are in moderator-approval mode or something.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #69 on: March 27, 2013, 04:31:37 AM »
"Of course, following last year's high-profile shuttering of "City of Heroes", the involvement of NCSoft seems to be invoking almost as much fear of abandonment as it is hope for commercial success on/after the "WildStar" release date." -- International Digital Times

My comment below the article:
NCSoft doesn't take care of its most valuable asset--the players, the citizens of these online worlds. The NA market is treated like cattle. All advertising is for build-up, but after release, studios are quickly forgotten about as their earnings are funneled away into buyouts, eastern market grind fests or cooking the books. Because NCSoft is owned by shareholders with competing interests, games are shuttered whether or not they're profitable.

NCSoft is unpredictable; business analysts in NCSoft's own country have recently expressed total bewilderment. They fired the studio behind City of Heroes on the spot, hours after releasing teasers for one of the game's biggest ever updates. Earlier, they had hired Richard Garriott, the creator of the Ultima series of games, to help them get a foothold in the NA market; in return they were to help launch and publicize a new game for Garriott. After Garriott helped NCSoft achieve a strong presence in the west, NCSoft shut his game down just a few months after launch, and forced him to sell his stock early. A jury found NCSoft guilty, even after NCSoft appealed, and Garriott was awarded $32 million in all.

NCSoft is the WORST massive online game publisher IN THE WORLD. Just putting that out there before their shill shows up. I will never put my trust, money, time and commitment into another game published by NCSoft. This isn't merely a boycott--this is a total lack of confidence. NCSoft has abused their studios fans investments too many times. Do not fall for their marketing blitz when this game comes out, or you'll regret it later.

If you're in a studio under NCSoft, get out now. Just leave. Find another job. You will never have any warning. Profitability is not job security. NCSoft will NOT let you buy your IP back. They have never budged on this with ANY studio ever.

Show me an MMORPG, other than WoW, that advertises their game outside of 3 months of it's release, going F2P, expansions or the first holiday season in the west.  Does Sony, they have a large cadre of MMORPGs still running.  Perfect World?  Turbine?  And I'm not talking tiny little web ads on MMO and game sites.  Serious year round advertising.  It's simply not done here.  Advertising is done via a stream of news updates sent to MMORPG and game sites.  There isn't an attempt to draw in players who hadn't played an MMORPG before.  WoW can do it simply because they make a BILLION dollars in subscriptions every year.  One game, one BILLLLLLION dollars. (/pinkyfinger)

Yes MMORPGs aren't like ordinary video games or other media.  But at least in the US they are treated that way.  Advertise around the release date, the holidays as a gift idea, and then nothing.  It survives on it's reputation, it's advertised by word of mouth, it only still talked about on MMORPG sites.  Sure it may get mention in the NY Times or Time Magazine when it comes out but you aren't going to find an ad for it at either site in the middle of the summer if it was released the previous fall.  It doesn't happen because there has to be a cost benefit, new players that bring cash Vs the cost of the ad campaign.  Sure you get it in front of a lot of eyes but if it costs you significantly more than the income new players bring in you don't do it anymore.  Game companies when it comes to spending money isn't stupid.  Press releases are free.

And as for your assertions about NCsoft (sorry NCSOFT or so I'm told now), yes they tried to screw Lord British over but they certainly didn't hire him just to get boots on the ground here in the west.  They honestly thought he could deliver on an MMORPG that would be fantastic.  Sure they help to screw it up.  Sure they after 6 years of development and a boatload of money forced it out onto the world in a bad state.  And yes the game was closed down after a year, a bit more than a few months.

And if they bought your company then it's THEIR IP now.  Grow up and smell the world.  You work for someone, it's theirs.  You create something that's patentable, it's theirs (sure your name may be on the patent but it's unlikely you yourself will get a get on any royalties).  That is how business works.  You may hate it but don't single out a company and act if their actions is something unique and out of the ordinary.  They all work like that.  Now if they like you, maybe they would be interesting in selling you the IP you developed for them, but they don't have to.

Yes, they screwed us over.  Yes I'm pissed too.  I loved this game.  I still tear up when I hear a song I associate with this game.  I still think of how a song I hear on the radio could be a good CoH MV.  But I can step back and understand that MMORPGs aren't forever.  It ticks me off that every MMORPG I've come across do not have the character flexibility that CoH had on day one.  It annoys me that attributes are tied to outfits, except that their is a costly way to skin the look of one outfit to the stats of another.  That we could come up with an entirely different backstory than the world we are playing in.  I don't have to be just another random villager with a grudge and an axe.  Or blessed with magic ability.  But no.  This is my world, I have to be of one of these known races/species.  I must choose a playstyle/class.  I'm now boxed in where CoH I started outside the box of conventional MMOs.

We thought, wrong, that after 8 years we were included in the group of MMOs that have moved into immortality.  Games like Everquest, Runescape, UO.  We thought we were safe in our little world.  As long as the regulars show up on the forums or in game.  As long as your SG was still active, the game was still alive and well.  Guess what, it wasn't.  Before Freedom we were down to 60-80K players based on reported income.  And what happen after Freedom?  Well some of us had enough Paragon rewards that we decided to unsubscribe for a while.  Sure we couldn't pay to keep our 1 man SGs open or do incarnate and SS missions but hey we could play our most recent handful of characters.  Level them up to 80.  Craft and work the market.  Look what I can do for free now.  I bet you that hurt the game.  We didn't get enough new or returning players to subscribe or at least buy enough from the item shop to matter.

Now you may want to spin the abandonment angle, good for you, but I now know it's a fact of MMORPG life.  Games die and close and the characters that we had invested in are lost.  I now play my MMOs with my eyes open.  I now will never be that attached to a group of characters every again.  I know that game companies don't make decisions out of malice.  They had reasons.  We may not like them.  We may not understand them.  But they didn't make the decision to tick off tens of thousands of paying customers without weighing the consequences of their actions.  They may have underestimated the response for sure.

I rank NCSOFT's decision in closing CoH up there with Fox canceling Firefly or NBC Universal canceling Farscape.  That's just a little niche show that isn't going to deliver the numbers they wanted to see.  They couldn't make enough money to justify renewal in their minds.  Surely this other new thing can do better.  It's more like this or that other successful thing.

But I'm not going to fault them for doing their job, which for any company is to make money for the owners.  Sure they ripped something very dear from me.  Something familiar that I expected to be around for years to come.  I grieved.  But I've moved on.  I hope one of the fan start ups attract the attention of someone who could fund it properly.  I will be expecting a "spiritual successor" to CoH.  I place where I can play a robot pirate from a parallel dimension or an inadvertent time traveler from the 19th century or a half Irish-half Japanese fox spirit who is cursed with an significantly extended life span.  Where I could spin my stories, even if it's only to myself.  Characters fighting the good fight, occupying a common city, a City of Heroes.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #70 on: March 27, 2013, 04:56:04 AM »
Lastly.  Weren't we suppose to keep the NCSOFT hate out of threads about their games?

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #71 on: March 27, 2013, 08:21:12 AM »
Lastly.  Weren't we suppose to keep the NCSOFT hate out of threads about their games?
This is correct. Please keep the NCsoft hate out of the game threads. There are plenty of other threads on this forum where you can voice your displeasure with NCsoft. Please allow the threads about the games they currently publish or are publishing in the future to be about the GAME, not the publisher. Use the threads already established to bash NCsoft. Thanks.

I do allow an occasional comment because it keeps people from being verbally abusive (no joke!) to our moderation team when we constantly remind people of the fact that NCsoft makes games that people enjoy despite the vocal minority here who are verbally abusive toward NCsoft.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Lightslinger

• Elite Boss
  • @Lightslinger, Virtue
« Reply #72 on: March 27, 2013, 09:34:20 AM »
Thanks FatherXmas for yet again detailing why we don't all hate NCsoft with an eternal hellfire. And it was getting old coming to this thread wondering if I was going to be flamed for posting here, thanks Agge.

damienray

• Lieutenant
« Reply #73 on: March 27, 2013, 01:56:07 PM »
Wow, guess the fire to fight for our game is going out... accept and move on ? Wow... just... wow.

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
  • Crime doesn't pay, evildoers!
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 27, 2013, 02:20:50 PM »
Wow, guess the fire to fight for our game is going out... accept and move on ? Wow... just... wow.

I'm going to take off my NCSoft-hating hat for the first time since August 31. I have a feeling this'll be a long post but I don't really have a TL;DR for you. Read until you're bored, then stop.

Originally I came here to say something short and nasty and mean. The "Grow up and smell the world" comment really irked me for some reason. If someone lives their life and pays their bills on time even when they're distressed about something, I think they're grown up just fine. Being a spreadsheet analyst is one way to cope, but it doesn't make you any more grown up than someone who is just real damn angry about it right now.

Of course, "right now" has lasted for several months. I don't know if I'm doing anything useful for this "thing" that used to be a cool part of my routine. There have been five times (off the top of my head) when I was invited to contribute to projects alongside other people who are very focused on the future. I would have been right in my element. Instead I got cold feet and slowly backed away.

I remember when a bunch of us Earth and Beyond fans were helping to bring that game back. This was way back in the early days, when all of us testers had to use LAN servers and the bug reporting tool was, like, screenshots and the forums. Anger toward EA was still fresh, wounds still felt deep. You were either with us or against us in our hatred (okay intense dislike) of EA. Bringing EnB back was more than just bringing EnB back. You also had to go post on EA's forums and harass them whenever new games were coming out. We were a little army. Eventually the mods on EA's main forums gave in and we ended up with a thread that went on for almost a thousand pages. It was glorious.

Well, there was a problem. Some of my friends who came over for big EnB LAN testing parties, finding bugs, exploits, fixes--were absolutely LOVING SPORE, and a couple of them still played Ultima Online. It took all of about one night to figure out that not all of my friends were going to join me and my Internet forum army in our EA boycott. Obviously, I wasn't about to choose between some pals I've known for years and my boycott. So I had to shut up about it, basically.

It got worse when I discovered that some very smart coders had become involved with the project; coders who didn't share everyone's animosity for EA, and didn't want to be held accountable for the perceived crime of liking some EA games. But when I say it got worse, I really mean it got better. At some point, those of us with good sense realized that some of these EA fans were working very hard to bring our game back. They were able to do amazing things, like writing huge gobs of server code from scratch.

That probably prepared us for the time when we had to agree on some necessary rules for the forums anyway. As the project progressed, and more people showed up to download the local server, we gained more attention. Enough talk had circulated onto that thousand-page thread on EA's website--something people were repeatedly asked not to do--and we got a couple of pointed mod responses. So it wasn't like we were hiding anything. Anyone could come read the forums. And this is just the sort of thing that happens. Mark my words.

In gearing up for the first stress test on an actual player server, the community was faced with a choice. We could either continue to spit in the face of the publisher who could shut us down any moment they wanted to...or we could show some humility and respect for those who had once helped make the IP and client a reality in the first place.

Most people chose the latter, because having our game back was more important to us than being angry all of the time. So any mention of the publisher was banned from forum discussion for a long time. Some people didn't like the more "rules rich" environment at first, but no one really left over it either; and if you look at that game today and its community, you'll see a dignified bunch of friendly, helpful people. It also forced us to focus on the future more than the past. (And which kind of community would you rather be stuck with?)

Of course, we didn't just go from A to B overnight. The people who come here and defend NCSoft's decisions and possible motives might be doing the right thing for themselves. Well I'm boycotting NCSoft and I feel pretty darn heroic about that too.

But I also know that a big publisher isn't a supervillain. It's not a person. It's made up of many different people and moving parts. Many of those people and parts don't deserve our ire. I don't believe they're all "guilty by association." That would be tantamount to believing that all of those people should have quit their jobs after August 31. For our sakes. Nevermind any family they have to feed.

In fact, after all of this time, we have no idea who actually deserves our ire. There was speculation early on that Taek Jin Kim might have had less to do with CoH's closure than shareholders or Nexon suddenly becoming the largest shareholder with almost $700 million.

On the other hand, there are people here who still feel honest-to-goodness emotional disress about this. Specific facts may never be important to some of these people, all they care about is their loss. We are one big family here, we're all on the same side, but about the publisher, there is going to be division, and it will be strong for a while. We can't all reason it away. We're only human.

But I have tremendous respect for those who are working on spiritual successors, community servers, ongoing efforts to find a buyer, and anyone who organizes something around a group. They're too busy helping each other to bicker, too busy lifting their friends up to condescend down to them. And I believe, just from watching history, that more of us will take up that stance as the months roll on and people get their fire back.

Lightslinger

• Elite Boss
  • @Lightslinger, Virtue
« Reply #75 on: March 27, 2013, 04:02:12 PM »
Any word on the beta? Wasn't it supposed to start after PAX?

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #76 on: March 27, 2013, 04:29:22 PM »
Wow, guess the fire to fight for our game is going out...
Not even close.  But...

<- (mod hat on)

This isn't the place for it.

(mod hat off)

The only mention I found was toward the end of this article from Massively.

We know the beta is coming soon, probably within the next month or two,
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #77 on: March 27, 2013, 06:10:55 PM »
I'm going to take off my NCSoft-hating hat for the first time since August 31. I have a feeling this'll be a long post but I don't really have a TL;DR for you. Read until you're bored, then stop.

Originally I came here to say something short and nasty and mean. The "Grow up and smell the world" comment really irked me for some reason. If someone lives their life and pays their bills on time even when they're distressed about something, I think they're grown up just fine. Being a spreadsheet analyst is one way to cope, but it doesn't make you any more grown up than someone who is just real damn angry about it right now.

The reason I replied here rather than that other forum to your comment is to keep it in the family.  I'm sorry my "smell the world" comment annoyed you but it was really directed not only at you but at others who seem to think that MMOs run on happy thoughts and unicorn kisses and a business's primary function is to employ people and keep their customers happy.  Maybe I'm coping with the game's closure by becoming overly cynical and critical about other people's thought processes. 

The warning signs were in our face for months if not years but we chose to ignore them.  How many of us tried to get their RL gaming friends back into the game or play it for the first time after Freedom came out?  How many canceled their secondary/tertiary subscriptions because their Paragon Reward status on those accounts were good enough?  How many canceled their primary, if only for a few months?  How many of us subscribed with the 14 month plan or paid our dues with heavily discounted time cards or box editions we hadn't applied before?  Sure it was best for us to subscribe that way but it undercut the game's income.

The theories spun about how NCSOFT "cooked the books" just to make CoH look bad was pure tin foil hat conspiracy theory.  People ignoring the simple fact that the other MMOs that NCSOFT shut down were clear financial flops.  Auto Assault tied for a Mad Max style MMO but barely broke 10,000 subscriptions.  Tabula Rasa lost 1/3rd of it's players once their free month was up.  It's best quarterly income was less our income that same quarter, a niche genre that had been out for three years already.  In both cases the games didn't get stellar reviews and no amount of advertising around release time could combat that.  Don't forget that during that time MMOs were a paid commitment, people were extra careful about which MMO they would subscribe to based only on their first month's experience and many wouldn't even buy the game to try if it didn't have A+ reviews in their favorite magazine or game site.  In the case with EB's Earth & Beyond, to niche, never broke 40,000 subscribers, EA was looking for more.

People also underestimated the results of the failure of Tabula Rasa.  It was NCSOFT's New Coke moment.  Basically it froze any new MMO idea from the west.  I imagine that from that point on any new MMO project had to appeal to the Asian markets with all it's grindy tropes, action combat and PvP centric attitude.  At the very least a studio had to show they could do PvP right.  They set the bar very high, probably too high.  They pulled back from the western markets.  In Europe Aion and Lineage II are now farmed out to third party companies to run them day to day.  The Lineage servers in the US were closed up and if you factored out CoH's income in those last few quarters you can see how little income their other titles brought in from NA.

I know the mods frown upon bring up cultural differences but just look at what Samsung did for the Galaxy S IV event.  It generated more negative publicity about the Broadway show aspect of the event as well as some pretty sexist stereotypes as to why new feature X is so great.  Now if you read any articles about product roll out events in Korea will recognize the style immediately and in Korea, their tech press expect such over the top productions with dancers and pop singers.  Talk about not understanding their audience.  Who here think the hip-hop hamsters are an effective ad for Kia Soul?  But it works in Korea so it should work here right?

Anyways do I think GW2 and Wildstar could go the way of CoH.  There are rumors that when ArenaNet was bought by a fledgling NCSOFT that ANet had the smarts to include an escape clause that included their IP.  Wildstar's WoW/Anime looks mixed with action combat and PvP from the get go may do well enough in Asia to be considered a keeper.  But we don't know yet what business model it's going to use in the west, WoW/Turbine/GW2/Nexon?  If they choose the wrong one it could seriously affect it's success here.

Again I'm sorry if my language ticked you off Electric but if you want to make a case about something or someone than stick close to the facts.  NCSOFT has a history of closing MMOs when they decide it's not worth keeping them open anymore, irregardless to player support.  That their closure of CoH was out of the blue and they themselves admit the game was still making some money.  That NCSOFT's favored games seem to be out of touch with what western gamers are looking for in their MMOs.  That you feel that anyone looking to play an NCSOFT title shouldn't grow too attached to their characters because of this.  This way it doesn't seem like we, ex-CoH players, aren't a group of raving extremists or tin-foil hat conspiracy nut cases.  Separate the game from the publisher behind the game.  Wildstar or GW2 aren't bad games but their publisher can pull the plug on the game when they feel like it.  You (Wildstar/GW2 players) have been warned.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #78 on: March 27, 2013, 06:12:34 PM »

Maybe after PAX proper Aug/Sept.  Open beta that is.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #79 on: March 27, 2013, 06:30:51 PM »

I accept that the CoH we know and loved is gone.  While private server efforts may yield something to allow players to wander through the game world, it simply won't be the same.

As for some white knight come along and pry the IP from NCSOFT and form a new team of devs to work on it, it's a long shot but if it happens I expect that all of our characters are gone.  Maybe they could provide a service that takes the Sentinal+ file and import them but if you didn't use that tool before the plug was pulled, I don't think they survived.

That's why my money is on one of the start ups.  This is a niche genre but a genre that does have a lot of success at the movies right now.  But to be attractive to existing MMO players it's going to need a more up to date game engine that's scalable across a large array of rigs.  It's going to need to be a bit more action based (no rooting) with a possible dodge/block mechanic and AoE hints.  It's going to need some form of PvP day one.  It's going to need an economy that's not out of check, too much inf and loot dropped in CoH and I think we can agree that inflation spun out of control.