Author Topic: WildStar Online  (Read 56496 times)

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
Re: WildStar Online
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2013, 11:01:24 PM »
That said, if the thread is causing too much disruption then I'm happy for the moderators to nuke it from orbit. Their call, I'll support either way.
It's not. You're safe. WildStar looks amazing. :)
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2013, 01:51:33 AM »
Man this game looks freaking GOOD.  Damn you NCSoft!!!!! DAMN YOU!!!!!!!!!!

Mistress Urd

• Elite Boss
« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2013, 02:48:59 AM »
Wait for open beta and see how they plan to run things.

Let the math folks break down the game mechanics.

JetFlash

• Boss
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2013, 07:21:05 PM »
I'd love to give WildStar a swing, but I cannot in good conscience do so.   :-X

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2013, 06:23:59 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=fn8648VGMKM

I found this on Facebook today.  It looks like a totally awesome game.  Yes, I will try it out, even though NCSoft is involved.

*looks at video*

Ok, super-annoying NPCs, overstylization of humanoids plus the knowledge that it is an NCIdiocracy title = zzzZZZZzzzzZZZZzzzzz.............

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2013, 06:55:31 PM »
New trailer is up.

Oh my!
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2013, 09:13:36 PM »
I think things just got pancaking real!

DarkCurrent

• Boss
« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2013, 10:25:55 PM »
Don Bluth called.  He wants his Space Ace IP back.

Lightslinger

• Elite Boss
  • @Lightslinger, Virtue
« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2013, 12:03:46 PM »
Love the latest trailer, they're definitely nailing it with the stylized design and comedy for me, looks fantastic.

I know a lot don't like how they've styled the game, but to me stylized stuff works fine when its done well. This had a clear vision and it appears to be carried out by very good artists and has resulted in a pleasing design.

Contrast this with Champions Online, I believe they legitimately wanted a "comic book" styled MMO, they just ended up with a bunch of play-doh looking people running around in cartoonish landscapes.

Rotten Luck

• Elite Boss
  • "I'd rather go out a hero than a coward."
« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2013, 01:51:49 PM »
Sigh why does it have to look fun.  The Studio did a great job.  It's the publisher I despise.  CURES YOU NCSOFT!
One way or another... Heroes will fly again!

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2013, 12:39:44 AM »
I know a lot don't like how they've styled the game, but to me stylized stuff works fine when its done well. This had a clear vision and it appears to be carried out by very good artists and has resulted in a pleasing design.

I dunno about that, personally I think it looks like they went 'hey, let's rip off WoW's art style'. Which I doubt they actually did, but intentionally or not the game looks a hell of a lot like WoW visually. On a modern engine rather than one from 2004, but almost exactly the same style.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2013, 03:38:59 AM »
Well the Carbine Studios was founded by a bunch of ex-Blizzard WoW developers a year or so after WoW's release (yes they've been around since 2005).  I'm not surprised the art style followed.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2013, 03:42:02 AM »
I dunno about that, personally I think it looks like they went 'hey, let's rip off WoW's art style'. Which I doubt they actually did, but intentionally or not the game looks a hell of a lot like WoW visually. On a modern engine rather than one from 2004, but almost exactly the same style.
In the sense that "WoW is pseudo-techno fantasy and WildStar is techno-fantasy" yes, you are correct. As someone who's played both, WoW extensively and WildStar several times, they're not much the same otherwise. It's like saying Titan A.E. (Don Bluth - Dragon's Lair, Land Before Time, etc.) has the same style as Cinderella - they're both cartoons, so obviously the later one is a rip-off, right?
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #53 on: March 23, 2013, 12:24:05 PM »
In the sense that "WoW is pseudo-techno fantasy and WildStar is techno-fantasy" yes, you are correct. As someone who's played both, WoW extensively and WildStar several times, they're not much the same otherwise. It's like saying Titan A.E. (Don Bluth - Dragon's Lair, Land Before Time, etc.) has the same style as Cinderella - they're both cartoons, so obviously the later one is a rip-off, right?

Admittedly, I've never been good at subtle differences. Overall, the game's visual style reminds me of WoW to a fairly large degree. All I'm saying. My opinion, nothing more.

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #54 on: March 25, 2013, 01:20:24 AM »
Honestly something about this trailer felt like it was trying too hard to convince me I should care.
Woo! - Argent Girl

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #55 on: March 25, 2013, 04:40:16 AM »
I just posted a reply on the new Trailer at Youtube.

This is not to diss the game or it's creators Carbine. Because it does look good. But I'd remind anybody who wants to buy this that it's being published under NCSoft - who have a TERRIBLE track record of killing MMOs.

Dungeon Runners
Auto Assault
Tabula Rasa
ExTeel
City of Heroes

At any time, for any reason - or for NO reason, NCsoft can close a game. Don't pre-order. Watch and wait to see how it does. Then if you must buy it, don't get too attached. Caveat Emptor.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #56 on: March 25, 2013, 04:41:56 AM »
If everyone "watches and waits" - no one will buy it - and it will rightfully tank without NCsoft's meddling. That's just terrible advice.

If it looks cool, buy it. I will be, twice over (myself and my husband) - and several of my friends are likely to join me. It's frankly a pretty awesome game from the limited amount I've been able to play.

Just don't sink your hopes and dreams into it because NCsoft can meddle with them.

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #57 on: March 25, 2013, 04:56:07 AM »
If everyone "watches and waits" - no one will buy it - and it will rightfully tank without NCsoft's meddling. That's just terrible advice.

If it looks cool, buy it. I will be, twice over (myself and my husband) - and several of my friends are likely to join me. It's frankly a pretty awesome game from the limited amount I've been able to play.

Just don't sink your hopes and dreams into it because NCsoft can meddle with them.

So you're in the Beta for it?

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #58 on: March 25, 2013, 05:40:43 AM »
I am, but I can't currently play due to hardware issues.

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #59 on: March 25, 2013, 08:25:34 AM »
This is not to diss the game or it's creators Carbine. Because it does look good. But I'd remind anybody who wants to buy this that it's being published under NCSoft - who have a TERRIBLE track record of killing MMOs.

Dungeon Runners
Auto Assault
Tabula Rasa
ExTeel
City of Heroes

At any time, for any reason - or for NO reason, NCsoft can close a game. Don't pre-order. Watch and wait to see how it does. Then if you must buy it, don't get too attached. Caveat Emptor.

Auto Assault and Tabula Rasa were straight up failures.  Dungeon Runners was on odd duck, low subscription rate, then F2P.  ExTeel isn't even an MMORPG but it's income was inconsistent and was waning both here and Korea from it's peak.

Other than CoH it was very self evident to anyone that those games were or became money sinks and NCsoft had every right to close them.  Do you blame Ford for discontinuing the Edsel?  How about Chrysler with their K-cars?  Products that are no longer profitable or profitable enough get canned.  Fact of life.