Author Topic: One Thing I Miss  (Read 19927 times)

Osborn

• Boss
One Thing I Miss
« on: January 04, 2013, 03:47:20 PM »
One thing I really miss, and didn't think I'd ever miss or never thought about it much, from City of Heroes were decent emotes and /em boombox.

It seems silly, I guess. But I really find that, I've been playing some other games to pass the time, and any time I'd get frustrated (but not angry) at waiting for something or another, I really missed good, varied persistent emotes.

I've found playing a game, while waiting for one team member or another to stop juggling their inventories or the stores or vault or.. whatever, I would default to Popdance or Boombox, rather than have my character stand there like the emotionally dead soul they are.

And I really miss it being gone. Like 75% of the emotes in most other games don't do anything other than "Osborn dances with Bob!" in the chat window, or they last a second or so before you have to keep putting them back up.

And for some strange reason, and it's probably just me, but I really... really... miss those.

The amount of times I've idly typed in /em boombox in other games while waiting for somebody to stop juggling what pair of pants has better numbers is surprisingly a lot.

Quinch

Re: One Thing I Miss
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 03:52:03 PM »
I miss...

I miss...

I don't miss the candy cane grind.

I miss everything else.

Knight Light

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 06:38:02 PM »
I met a couple of friendly girls one night while giving Champions Online its eleventh undeserved shot. The girls started going through a number of the game's emotes during our lengthy conversation.

I tried DC Universe Online and know that it also has a number of emotes.

Both games have very clumsy, awkward emotes that seem, to me, deeply lame on a scale so large that it cannot be measured.

City of Heroes spoiled us rotten. It was too good at nearly everything. As video games go, City of heroes was an elegant tool. Everything else now feels like a rock tied to a stick.

Sugoi

• Boss
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 07:04:53 PM »
When you've played the best, it's hard to stomach the rest.

I tried the other Super-Hero games out there again, but due to combat mechanics and teaming constraints, I end up soloing 95% of the time.

I finally decided that if I had to solo in an MMO, I might as well not bother with it.

I've got tons of games I haven't touched in the last 8 years due to a pre-occupation with the best Super-Hero game available.  So, until we get some really good news about CoH, it's back to the solo strategy and flight sims that I've enjoyed as well as the newer stuff that's come out since 2004.

But I'll be keeping an eye out here, with hope for a Super Future!

Osborn

• Boss
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 09:15:18 PM »
When you've played the best, it's hard to stomach the rest.

I tried the other Super-Hero games out there again, but due to combat mechanics and teaming constraints, I end up soloing 95% of the time.

I finally decided that if I had to solo in an MMO, I might as well not bother with it.

I've got tons of games I haven't touched in the last 8 years due to a pre-occupation with the best Super-Hero game available.  So, until we get some really good news about CoH, it's back to the solo strategy and flight sims that I've enjoyed as well as the newer stuff that's come out since 2004.

But I'll be keeping an eye out here, with hope for a Super Future!

I think that one thing CoH did very well was being very casual and very PUG friendly, without requiring it for advancement.

Teams could, pretty much any set of characters, from any power sets, as long as people trusted in the powers to work well (characters could be made terrible sorta by taking 3000 pool powers that don't really do much together, but you kind of had to work at being terrible like that). And for the most part, the powers did work as advertised. You didn't have to pour through arcane texts to figure out if the power was BSing you or not. As long as somebody remembered the general rule to only take 3 SOs of the same thing, they could make a decently slotted character with minimal knowledge of the game system and it'd work out for ED fine. Optimization worked as an optimal factor, something to do to tweak up your high level guys, and not as the de-facto only way to play.

I'd never been in a team that absolutely had to kick people would because they decided to roll Fire or something, except maybe on ITF.

There was never really like "Oh god, you rolled a stalker, ugh, just quit the game". There wasn't like "Oh, you're only in orange IOs? Oh god, just leave the super group already.".

The sidekicking and later 'Super Sidekicking' systems really made it so that if you had consistent friends you played with, you were already go for a game. You didn't have to plan your  games out around everybody's life because if your guy got a few levels higher, guess what? Nothing happens. Only somebody vain would care that somebody else's guy was a higher level.

I haven't found a game yet that does teams right. Every game falls into one pit trap or another, that I've played.

Champions Online limits your teams to 5 guys, and pretty much PUNISHES you for teaming for the most part. Because it relies on so many 'outdoor' missions and not instances and the game counts everybody's kills and objectives separate, often 'collect 10 of this' became 'collect 50 of this', because you had 5 team members. It basically BEGGED everybody to split up and solo that content.

If there wasn't anything that would make me want to never talk to another player in a game better, it's a guy jumping in line to start a quest as you're clearing out the mobs around it so that they don't interupt your quest dialogue. UUuugh.

Star Trek Online basically just straight up punished you full score for being in a team for anything other than the fleet actions, which were only really then good if you just didn't feel like doing the story, by making all your Bridge Officers up and vanish from the world. You could build up a team that was pretty much better than what most players had to offer out of NPCs.

At least those games cribbed the super sidekick system.

Star Wars TOR isn't much better, either. Sure, it rewards you in XP rather than deducting you, but it has the same 'outdoors' problem that Champions had, and it punished your story if you rolled with anbody who wanted to roll a different alignment, or the same class or what not.

Then Star Wars completely fails to have any way for people of different levels to play together, so if you have friends in the game, you better get used to playing with them and NEVER on your own, otherwise you're going to basically tank the whole balance of the game entirely.

That and 4 character per team is PRETTY weak. My consistent gaming group can't even all play the game together because one of us will have to sit out because of the team limitation. That's pretty weak. Not to mention that none of us can play it without everybody anyways without throwing everything off the rails.

Then you get overly item dependent games like the 500 pound gorilla where if you're basically not kitted out perfectly then nobody wants to play with you, or if you don't roll THE OPTIMIZED guy, the game basically just drops you like a hot coal.

Uuugh.

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 10:36:18 PM »
I miss it all...I miss being able to just log in for whatever reason I wanted. (Sometimes to try something new, work on a specific character, get my mind off of real life for a while, meet up with friends and laugh a lot, etc.) I miis it ALL.
Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

Electric-Knight

• Elite Boss
  • E-K and Malfaz taking a break, drinking tea
    • www.pauldamonthomas.com
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 11:03:28 PM »
Emotes were always hugely important to me. Seriously. :)
I've always felt a little more like my characters are puppets or, at the least, action figures. And being able to pose and animate them was a large key to me enjoying playing (movement and powers are also included in that).

I love CoH, no question, and the animations and emotes in it were wonderful, but I came from Star Wars Galaxies, before I switched to CoH in 2006 and I think it's safe to say that SWG's emotes may have even been better... so, yeah, I can't accept worse than CoH, hehe (and I mean all of that with the utmost respect towards CoH!). ;)

Whether we're using them for some in-depth role-play, for our own immersion within the world of make-believe or just because it looks cool, fun, more-interesting... control of our characters' behaviors and animations can be a pretty large factor of fun.

For me, many characters had a specific emote or two that were somewhat signature poses and/or animations for them - somewhat akin to the poses they might have within comicbook panels, trading cards or cover pictures.
:)
--
"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
- Baron Munchausen

http://www.pauldamonthomas.com/

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2013, 02:39:57 AM »
I miss a game that puts up with my crap connection.  Sure, I would get rubber-banding and that was frustrating, but at least I could still play.  I cannot even connect 2 out of every 3 times I try for CO.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

LT. Couper

• Boss
  • The battle won't end until it's won!
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2013, 04:18:52 AM »
I miss the emotes too. They were all amusing in their own way, and every one of them had some sort of animation. Other games emotes are often just a bunch of emotions that most dont even have an animation for and it just says what your toon is doing in the chat box.

Heh, I remember when I discovered the Bat Smash emote. That was an amusing day!
"Heroes may die, but heroism never shall." ~Cyrus "Breakneck" Thompson

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2013, 04:27:35 AM »
I miss the emotes too. They were all amusing in their own way, and every one of them had some sort of animation. Other games emotes are often just a bunch of emotions that most dont even have an animation for and it just says what your toon is doing in the chat box.

Heh, I remember when I discovered the Bat Smash emote. That was an amusing day!

Bat smash react was even better!

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2013, 05:03:06 AM »
Bat smash react was even better!

alakazamreact. Hey wanna see a trick? POOF! I'm a table! ;D

Heh, I remember one time me and a new player went around typing in random stuff just to see if it might do something. I was bopping around Galaxy and happened across this new kid, doin' new kid stuff, so I says hi. I'm waving and whatnot, and he seems pretty impressed with the emotes so I start pulling out some of the fancier ones... kata, robotdance, bringit, juggleelectricity. He's crackin' up he likes 'em so much. So we just kinda farted around Galaxy for the next couple hours, playing pranks on the NPCs and dancing on everything we could find. At one point we started trying to find new emotes, maybe some easter egg stuff that noone had found yet or whatever. We're typing in all kinds of wacky pancake, stuff like riverdance and jugglepuppies and jugglechainsaws and macarena. Dunno if that new kid ever upgraded from the trial or not, but man that was one awesome night in Galaxy City :D

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2013, 05:06:47 AM »
alakazamreact. Hey wanna see a trick? POOF! I'm a table! ;D

My daughter *loved* that one.

Terwyn

• Plan Z: Business/Marketing Lead
  • Elite Boss
    • Missing Worlds
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2013, 05:14:10 AM »
Ten things I miss from City of Heroes:

1. Flying

2. Snappy outfits

3. The ability to fly.

4. Saving the world from a wannabe god.

5. Saving the world from being consumed by an ancient god.

6. Slalom in Steel Canyon.

7. Saving the world from a wannabe god from another dimension.

8. Watching the world move about its daily affairs from 200 feet in the air without needing an air craft.

9. Helping new arrivals to Paragon find their way.

10. Did I mention flying?
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction.
- Albert Einstein

http://missingworlds.wordpress.com

houtex

• Elite Boss
  • I was the turkey all along! MEE!
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2013, 05:33:55 AM »
I miss...

I miss...

I don't miss the candy cane grind.

I miss everything else.

Funnily enough, I *DO* miss the candy cane grind.  But I was exceedingly good at doing it in AP, and Talos, and Perigrine even, and really enjoyed bouncing around opening the presents... I was a master, a king among kings, at the Candy Cane Grind.

Man, I seriously could go for that right now.

/And yeah, just about everything else too.

antarcticaa

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2013, 05:40:24 AM »
I was lost awhile in a memory haze thinking about flying today- the view from the blimp in AP when you flew alongside, flying around SC looking for presents, scanning for Eochai or Jack or Sally in Croatoa, the works.  When CoV came out flying made travel so much easier in the Rogue Isles.  It was aesthetically and emotionally beautiful. 

And for someone "directionally challenged" in game it was a lifesaver.  I wanna go flying again.

Terwyn

• Plan Z: Business/Marketing Lead
  • Elite Boss
    • Missing Worlds
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2013, 06:03:35 AM »

This, I miss.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction.
- Albert Einstein

http://missingworlds.wordpress.com

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2013, 06:17:04 AM »
Cryptic games have some nice dance emotes, but it's not the same. The biggest thing I miss is Sprint.

What's odd to me (I'm saying this to VV because her situation is note-worthy, but there are more than a handful to whom this applies) is how I see things on the news, weather mostly, and wonder if someone I know here is left in the dark, literally or figuratively.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Perfidus

• Elite Boss
  • "I, ah.. understand."
    • My arts.
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2013, 06:47:05 AM »
Sprint. Yes. God yes.

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2013, 09:10:19 AM »
I miss knowing a game so well I don't have to look at the map to get around. At least in CO I can scan the skyline and find Ren. Center, but that's about it and I do still have to look for it. In CoH I could just go.

Mister Bison

• Elite Boss
  • *psychotic grin*
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2013, 01:41:27 PM »
Yeeessss....