Author Topic: One Thing I Miss  (Read 19928 times)

Osborn

• Boss
One Thing I Miss
« on: January 04, 2013, 03:47:20 PM »
One thing I really miss, and didn't think I'd ever miss or never thought about it much, from City of Heroes were decent emotes and /em boombox.

It seems silly, I guess. But I really find that, I've been playing some other games to pass the time, and any time I'd get frustrated (but not angry) at waiting for something or another, I really missed good, varied persistent emotes.

I've found playing a game, while waiting for one team member or another to stop juggling their inventories or the stores or vault or.. whatever, I would default to Popdance or Boombox, rather than have my character stand there like the emotionally dead soul they are.

And I really miss it being gone. Like 75% of the emotes in most other games don't do anything other than "Osborn dances with Bob!" in the chat window, or they last a second or so before you have to keep putting them back up.

And for some strange reason, and it's probably just me, but I really... really... miss those.

The amount of times I've idly typed in /em boombox in other games while waiting for somebody to stop juggling what pair of pants has better numbers is surprisingly a lot.

Quinch

Re: One Thing I Miss
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 03:52:03 PM »
I miss...

I miss...

I don't miss the candy cane grind.

I miss everything else.

Knight Light

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 06:38:02 PM »
I met a couple of friendly girls one night while giving Champions Online its eleventh undeserved shot. The girls started going through a number of the game's emotes during our lengthy conversation.

I tried DC Universe Online and know that it also has a number of emotes.

Both games have very clumsy, awkward emotes that seem, to me, deeply lame on a scale so large that it cannot be measured.

City of Heroes spoiled us rotten. It was too good at nearly everything. As video games go, City of heroes was an elegant tool. Everything else now feels like a rock tied to a stick.

Sugoi

• Boss
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 07:04:53 PM »
When you've played the best, it's hard to stomach the rest.

I tried the other Super-Hero games out there again, but due to combat mechanics and teaming constraints, I end up soloing 95% of the time.

I finally decided that if I had to solo in an MMO, I might as well not bother with it.

I've got tons of games I haven't touched in the last 8 years due to a pre-occupation with the best Super-Hero game available.  So, until we get some really good news about CoH, it's back to the solo strategy and flight sims that I've enjoyed as well as the newer stuff that's come out since 2004.

But I'll be keeping an eye out here, with hope for a Super Future!

Osborn

• Boss
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 09:15:18 PM »
When you've played the best, it's hard to stomach the rest.

I tried the other Super-Hero games out there again, but due to combat mechanics and teaming constraints, I end up soloing 95% of the time.

I finally decided that if I had to solo in an MMO, I might as well not bother with it.

I've got tons of games I haven't touched in the last 8 years due to a pre-occupation with the best Super-Hero game available.  So, until we get some really good news about CoH, it's back to the solo strategy and flight sims that I've enjoyed as well as the newer stuff that's come out since 2004.

But I'll be keeping an eye out here, with hope for a Super Future!

I think that one thing CoH did very well was being very casual and very PUG friendly, without requiring it for advancement.

Teams could, pretty much any set of characters, from any power sets, as long as people trusted in the powers to work well (characters could be made terrible sorta by taking 3000 pool powers that don't really do much together, but you kind of had to work at being terrible like that). And for the most part, the powers did work as advertised. You didn't have to pour through arcane texts to figure out if the power was BSing you or not. As long as somebody remembered the general rule to only take 3 SOs of the same thing, they could make a decently slotted character with minimal knowledge of the game system and it'd work out for ED fine. Optimization worked as an optimal factor, something to do to tweak up your high level guys, and not as the de-facto only way to play.

I'd never been in a team that absolutely had to kick people would because they decided to roll Fire or something, except maybe on ITF.

There was never really like "Oh god, you rolled a stalker, ugh, just quit the game". There wasn't like "Oh, you're only in orange IOs? Oh god, just leave the super group already.".

The sidekicking and later 'Super Sidekicking' systems really made it so that if you had consistent friends you played with, you were already go for a game. You didn't have to plan your  games out around everybody's life because if your guy got a few levels higher, guess what? Nothing happens. Only somebody vain would care that somebody else's guy was a higher level.

I haven't found a game yet that does teams right. Every game falls into one pit trap or another, that I've played.

Champions Online limits your teams to 5 guys, and pretty much PUNISHES you for teaming for the most part. Because it relies on so many 'outdoor' missions and not instances and the game counts everybody's kills and objectives separate, often 'collect 10 of this' became 'collect 50 of this', because you had 5 team members. It basically BEGGED everybody to split up and solo that content.

If there wasn't anything that would make me want to never talk to another player in a game better, it's a guy jumping in line to start a quest as you're clearing out the mobs around it so that they don't interupt your quest dialogue. UUuugh.

Star Trek Online basically just straight up punished you full score for being in a team for anything other than the fleet actions, which were only really then good if you just didn't feel like doing the story, by making all your Bridge Officers up and vanish from the world. You could build up a team that was pretty much better than what most players had to offer out of NPCs.

At least those games cribbed the super sidekick system.

Star Wars TOR isn't much better, either. Sure, it rewards you in XP rather than deducting you, but it has the same 'outdoors' problem that Champions had, and it punished your story if you rolled with anbody who wanted to roll a different alignment, or the same class or what not.

Then Star Wars completely fails to have any way for people of different levels to play together, so if you have friends in the game, you better get used to playing with them and NEVER on your own, otherwise you're going to basically tank the whole balance of the game entirely.

That and 4 character per team is PRETTY weak. My consistent gaming group can't even all play the game together because one of us will have to sit out because of the team limitation. That's pretty weak. Not to mention that none of us can play it without everybody anyways without throwing everything off the rails.

Then you get overly item dependent games like the 500 pound gorilla where if you're basically not kitted out perfectly then nobody wants to play with you, or if you don't roll THE OPTIMIZED guy, the game basically just drops you like a hot coal.

Uuugh.

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 10:36:18 PM »
I miss it all...I miss being able to just log in for whatever reason I wanted. (Sometimes to try something new, work on a specific character, get my mind off of real life for a while, meet up with friends and laugh a lot, etc.) I miis it ALL.
Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

Electric-Knight

• Elite Boss
  • E-K and Malfaz taking a break, drinking tea
    • www.pauldamonthomas.com
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 11:03:28 PM »
Emotes were always hugely important to me. Seriously. :)
I've always felt a little more like my characters are puppets or, at the least, action figures. And being able to pose and animate them was a large key to me enjoying playing (movement and powers are also included in that).

I love CoH, no question, and the animations and emotes in it were wonderful, but I came from Star Wars Galaxies, before I switched to CoH in 2006 and I think it's safe to say that SWG's emotes may have even been better... so, yeah, I can't accept worse than CoH, hehe (and I mean all of that with the utmost respect towards CoH!). ;)

Whether we're using them for some in-depth role-play, for our own immersion within the world of make-believe or just because it looks cool, fun, more-interesting... control of our characters' behaviors and animations can be a pretty large factor of fun.

For me, many characters had a specific emote or two that were somewhat signature poses and/or animations for them - somewhat akin to the poses they might have within comicbook panels, trading cards or cover pictures.
:)
--
"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
- Baron Munchausen

http://www.pauldamonthomas.com/

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2013, 02:39:57 AM »
I miss a game that puts up with my crap connection.  Sure, I would get rubber-banding and that was frustrating, but at least I could still play.  I cannot even connect 2 out of every 3 times I try for CO.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

LT. Couper

• Boss
  • The battle won't end until it's won!
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2013, 04:18:52 AM »
I miss the emotes too. They were all amusing in their own way, and every one of them had some sort of animation. Other games emotes are often just a bunch of emotions that most dont even have an animation for and it just says what your toon is doing in the chat box.

Heh, I remember when I discovered the Bat Smash emote. That was an amusing day!
"Heroes may die, but heroism never shall." ~Cyrus "Breakneck" Thompson

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2013, 04:27:35 AM »
I miss the emotes too. They were all amusing in their own way, and every one of them had some sort of animation. Other games emotes are often just a bunch of emotions that most dont even have an animation for and it just says what your toon is doing in the chat box.

Bat smash react was even better!

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2013, 05:03:06 AM »
Bat smash react was even better!

alakazamreact. Hey wanna see a trick? POOF! I'm a table! ;D

Heh, I remember one time me and a new player went around typing in random stuff just to see if it might do something. I was bopping around Galaxy and happened across this new kid, doin' new kid stuff, so I says hi. I'm waving and whatnot, and he seems pretty impressed with the emotes so I start pulling out some of the fancier ones... kata, robotdance, bringit, juggleelectricity. He's crackin' up he likes 'em so much. So we just kinda farted around Galaxy for the next couple hours, playing pranks on the NPCs and dancing on everything we could find. At one point we started trying to find new emotes, maybe some easter egg stuff that noone had found yet or whatever. We're typing in all kinds of wacky pancake, stuff like riverdance and jugglepuppies and jugglechainsaws and macarena. Dunno if that new kid ever upgraded from the trial or not, but man that was one awesome night in Galaxy City :D

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2013, 05:06:47 AM »

My daughter *loved* that one.

Terwyn

• Plan Z: Business/Marketing Lead
  • Elite Boss
    • Missing Worlds
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2013, 05:14:10 AM »
Ten things I miss from City of Heroes:

1. Flying

2. Snappy outfits

3. The ability to fly.

4. Saving the world from a wannabe god.

5. Saving the world from being consumed by an ancient god.

6. Slalom in Steel Canyon.

7. Saving the world from a wannabe god from another dimension.

8. Watching the world move about its daily affairs from 200 feet in the air without needing an air craft.

9. Helping new arrivals to Paragon find their way.

10. Did I mention flying?
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction.
- Albert Einstein

http://missingworlds.wordpress.com

houtex

• Elite Boss
  • I was the turkey all along! MEE!
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2013, 05:33:55 AM »
I miss...

I miss...

I don't miss the candy cane grind.

I miss everything else.

Funnily enough, I *DO* miss the candy cane grind.  But I was exceedingly good at doing it in AP, and Talos, and Perigrine even, and really enjoyed bouncing around opening the presents... I was a master, a king among kings, at the Candy Cane Grind.

Man, I seriously could go for that right now.

/And yeah, just about everything else too.

antarcticaa

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2013, 05:40:24 AM »
I was lost awhile in a memory haze thinking about flying today- the view from the blimp in AP when you flew alongside, flying around SC looking for presents, scanning for Eochai or Jack or Sally in Croatoa, the works.  When CoV came out flying made travel so much easier in the Rogue Isles.  It was aesthetically and emotionally beautiful. 

And for someone "directionally challenged" in game it was a lifesaver.  I wanna go flying again.

Terwyn

• Elite Boss
    • Missing Worlds
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2013, 06:03:35 AM »

This, I miss.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction.
- Albert Einstein

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2013, 06:17:04 AM »
Cryptic games have some nice dance emotes, but it's not the same. The biggest thing I miss is Sprint.

What's odd to me (I'm saying this to VV because her situation is note-worthy, but there are more than a handful to whom this applies) is how I see things on the news, weather mostly, and wonder if someone I know here is left in the dark, literally or figuratively.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Perfidus

• Elite Boss
  • "I, ah.. understand."
    • My arts.
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2013, 06:47:05 AM »
Sprint. Yes. God yes.

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2013, 09:10:19 AM »
I miss knowing a game so well I don't have to look at the map to get around. At least in CO I can scan the skyline and find Ren. Center, but that's about it and I do still have to look for it. In CoH I could just go.

Mister Bison

• Elite Boss
  • *psychotic grin*
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2013, 01:41:27 PM »
Yeeessss....

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2013, 02:25:09 PM »
VV have you tried a new Verizon MiFi unit? With a simple Yagi antenna and a MiFi you can get some amazing results. I also live in the backend of Nowhereville and I now can connect with extremely fast speeds. 4G is amazing.

Lightslinger

• Elite Boss
  • @Lightslinger, Virtue
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2013, 10:26:51 PM »
I miss so much about Paragon City, but the one thing is definitely Flight.

I still remember getting Hover on Lightslinger, then Flight at 14. That was freaking magical. The biggest overall thing about CoH I miss the casual with depth nature of the game.

Stay casual with SO and easy teaming, fantastic. Or delve into IOs and Task Forces as deep as you want.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2013, 02:31:51 AM »
VV have you tried a new Verizon MiFi unit? With a simple Yagi antenna and a MiFi you can get some amazing results. I also live in the backend of Nowhereville and I now can connect with extremely fast speeds. 4G is amazing.

Well, the crap connection is going to be solved, and it might be soonish.  We went and spoke to our ISP and since we are literally one of their first five customers (from many years ago) AND we have tech-heads on premises...

We are alpha-testing their new tower-building machine, which will elevate our new receiver to the point where it can see their new tower.  We are getting our very own transmitter on that tower.  Which will connect directly to...fiber.  5mps up, 15mps down, they tell me.

Just not sure how many weeks this is going to take.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Terwyn

• Elite Boss
    • Missing Worlds
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2013, 02:57:30 AM »
Well, the crap connection is going to be solved, and it might be soonish.  We went and spoke to our ISP and since we are literally one of their first five customers (from many years ago) AND we have tech-heads on premises...

We are alpha-testing their new tower-building machine, which will elevate our new receiver to the point where it can see their new tower.  We are getting our very own transmitter on that tower.  Which will connect directly to...fiber.  5mps up, 15mps down, they tell me.

That is a decent connection. Hopefully quickly!
- Albert Einstein

Osborn

• Boss
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2013, 10:48:14 AM »

My old 'ye olde local cable' before my last move a year ago was slower than that and played most games fine, so I hope when that connection hits you'll see a massive difference in your ability to browse and play games, especially if all you've had in the past was DSL or dial up.

Though I never trust their sales pitch on the speeds, and always do speedtest.net's test.

It's pretty terrible there are still spots left out of broadband. Really people need to just accept that the internet is too important to be left up to chance in these areas and accept some amount of intervention to get areas that Comcast and the like have washed their hands of some broadband, same as what happened with television and phone lines way back.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2013, 03:05:07 PM »
Simple speed isn't the only factor. I don't fully understand it, but satellite technology didn't allow for a gaming experience as well as ground-based broadband. It was something to do with the transmission being in bursts, or something. Basically, browsing and streaming were fine because of how the data was handled, but realtime back and forth like an MMO was clunky. This was a little over five years ago or so, but, if I was in a hotel with satellite, the game would lag and rubberband a lot. I will say it worked better than WoW, which was nearly unplayable.

Of course, my information is technically second hand. I wasn't playing either game, at the time, but two of the guys I traveled with were playing WoW and one was playing CoH.

What VV has sounds a bit like a large scale point-to-point wireless system, like one of the ISPs here uses. I don't know where she is, in terms of terrain, but, if I had to guess, she's probably not in as hilly a place as I am, so her ISP is probably pretty reliable. :)
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2013, 04:01:48 PM »
I actually spent $10,000 a few years ago on a Wisp startup.

The weak point is always the backbone and how they manage traffic. I stopped in my area because Verizon 4G is damn good and now it is faster than I could provide with limited startup money.

The new 700mhz range is awesome for penetration of foliage and trees. The old range is in the 1900 mhz area and rain, trees and leaves block it and also you get a much higher ping rate - normally 250 each way overhead + connection to server - so if you get a ping of 300 to the game server you get a total of 800 round trip. This makes most games unplayable except MMO's.

Now 4G management makes this far less of a problem - I was playing on Left for Dead the other day and had a ping of 110 - which is good for a wired connection. Now Verizon also has a new service called Home Fusion that uses a large sealed antenna mounted outside of the house and gives you a VERY fast connection with a 20 gb cap. So most gaming is no problem just watch out downloading a bunch of Youtube stuff.

http://youreguide.vzw.com/a2/homefusion-broadband-verizon-4g-coverage-lte-web-access/

If you can get this in your area it will blow away most WISP speeds.

Osborn

• Boss
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2013, 08:49:17 PM »
Simple speed isn't the only factor. I don't fully understand it, but satellite technology didn't allow for a gaming experience as well as ground-based broadband. It was something to do with the transmission being in bursts, or something. Basically, browsing and streaming were fine because of how the data was handled, but realtime back and forth like an MMO was clunky. This was a little over five years ago or so, but, if I was in a hotel with satellite, the game would lag and rubberband a lot. I will say it worked better than WoW, which was nearly unplayable.

I'll try to explain that. When you send data, you always do so over bursts, but the bursts are relatively close together, so it's a constant 'stream', for all intents and purposes.

If the transmission bursts are farther apart, then there are 'gaps' in that information. Now, if you're downloading something, it doesn't matter so much if the download starts and stops like that, if the overall AVERAGE speed is the same. You, the user, won't be able to tell. Even a 'streaming' movie downloads parts of the movie before you get to it, so if the AVERAGE speed is alright, then you won't run into parts of the movie you haven't seen yet, because you view the movie at a static rate of 1 second per 1 second. So while you're watching the movie, the movie can have more of itself loaded and ready to watch faster than you can watch it. So it doesn't matter so much if there's small dead times as long as the live times are fast enough to make up the difference.

If that even makes sense?

But if you're playing a game, if the 'dead times' are long enough, it can cause lag, even if the 'live' times are sufficiently fast or even more so.

Older wireless cards had this problem a lot, and I don't even mean like, over a cell phone or anything. Even if the average speed was good, or even way better than the game required, it didn't matter so much because the game can't preload a lot of data if it constantly has to check to see if you've made a move or not.

I'm not sure though how well the technology has improved though because I don't own a smart phone. I know wireless cards and adaptors and stuff are now not that bad, as long as you have a house that is small enough and not filled up with enough things to disrupt the signal.

Of course, my information is technically second hand. I wasn't playing either game, at the time, but two of the guys I traveled with were playing WoW and one was playing CoH.

What VV has sounds a bit like a large scale point-to-point wireless system, like one of the ISPs here uses. I don't know where she is, in terms of terrain, but, if I had to guess, she's probably not in as hilly a place as I am, so her ISP is probably pretty reliable. :)

A lot of places in the country don't offer broadband connections, or they do but the term for what is and isn't broadband is so old as to almost be meaningless anymore. I could see some connection in the middle of Tennessee not keeping up with most games. Especially particularly 'twitch' based game play.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2013, 10:27:13 PM »
I miss the character creator and watching the concept work against enemy forces.

I never could draw worth a crap and this allowed my brain to be creative and transfer that creativeness into the virtual world. Many concepts that been floating around in my head since the late 90s were able to finally come to realization with that game, which was the first online game I played and first game where I could play my own creation. Other games got old and dull controlling someone else's concept and being limited by someone else's concept.

I could finally create a heartless hero that saved people because they felt that humans were a species that were primitive and needed saving because they wasnt capable mentally to do it themselves. Or I could make a villian that didnt really enjoy being a villian but had a family to feed and just trying to make ends meet. Or I could (later on especially with Rogue) create Crieghton Nox who went with the highest bidder good or bad and didnt give a crap about anyone unless they could be used to further Nox's personal goal.

My hobby has always been "drawing" pictures with words. Maybe one day I'll dust off a few manuscripts and submit them for publishing. But COX allowed me to create a visual using visuals. .

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2013, 10:49:39 PM »
If that even makes sense?

It does, thank you. It's a better explanation than the one I got from my boss when i was working for a DSL-based ISP (long story).

I came into online gaming pretty recently. CoH was my first subscription-based game. Before that, I had played Baldur's Gate and the occasional Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory over dial up. :)

And, yes, those hotels were usually in (or "out by the interstate" near) small, rural towns.

Osborn

• Boss
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2013, 11:01:00 PM »
It does, thank you. It's a better explanation than the one I got from my boss when i was working for a DSL-based ISP (long story).

I came into online gaming pretty recently. CoH was my first subscription-based game. Before that, I had played Baldur's Gate and the occasional Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory over dial up. :)

And, yes, those hotels were usually in (or "out by the interstate" near) small, rural towns.

Oh, one thing that modern appliances will do now better that old ones didn't do as well, and I forgot to mention, was that they'll stream several different 'bursts' at a time, so that you get a more continuous signal, sorta like how old Gatling guns fired faster by rotating to a new fresh barrel. I'm not sure how well smart phones deal with that because, again, I don't own one.

Ironwolf might have more up-to-date information on all of that. My last service provider before the one I'm on now, which is Xfinity, was some local BS cable company, but it was literally that or dial up or DSL that's older than Jesus, so there wasn't much choice.

Not to mention that the DSL was owned by some local BS company too, and ended up being more expensive anyways because they more or less only sold it in packages so if you wasn't buying a mortgage, car payment and Vietnamese slave child all at once, they wasn't going to sell anything at a reasonable price.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2013, 04:20:28 AM »
Satellite is not only bad for gaming because of the inherent lag but because after you download a ridiculously small amount, they throttle you.

What I have is my ISP's OLD large scale point-to-point wireless system; we share a transmitter, and the feed is bought from Cox cable.  As more people have come on the system, our connection has degraded.  And then there is the guy with the ham radio on the hill behind us, who talks to Spain every Sunday....basically trampling our signal with his noise.

The NEW point to point will give us our own transmitter and the feed is from fiber.

Verizon 4G is not available in our area.  AT&T was generously going to give us 4G for a $10,000 initial cost and $1200 a month.  I want what they are smoking.

DJMoose

• Missing His Jeep
  • Boss
  • To believe in the heroic makes heroes.
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2013, 04:45:36 AM »
I miss nearly all of the things that have been said already, and many more that have not been mentioned.

But to touch on the emote subject I loved the default idle animation; hands on hips and then crossed arms.  All I had to do was let my character sit there and I felt heroic.  Also, the sheer amount and variety of emotes was staggering;  as an avid screenshotter I was completely spoiled.

Serkana The Wise
Primal Praetorian

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2013, 04:55:15 AM »
/macro CPR "say Don't worry, $target, I know Brooklyn CPR$$e batsmash"
So far so good. Onward and upward!

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2013, 12:37:20 PM »

I loved alakazamreact when it turned you into a pumpkin. That was great.

I had no interest in turning into a lamp or table though, so when that change happened I stopped using the emote.

You know what I miss? Being able to make any costume I wanted, and I could wear it anytime without it affecting my stats. The game I am in now, how you look = your stats and I HATE IT. Also, having to go to some NPC to "repair your armor" SUCKS. God what a waste of time.

Tiger

• Underling
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2013, 11:28:29 PM »
I actually spent $10,000 a few years ago on a Wisp startup.

The weak point is always the backbone and how they manage traffic. I stopped in my area because Verizon 4G is damn good and now it is faster than I could provide with limited startup money.

The new 700mhz range is awesome for penetration of foliage and trees. The old range is in the 1900 mhz area and rain, trees and leaves block it and also you get a much higher ping rate - normally 250 each way overhead + connection to server - so if you get a ping of 300 to the game server you get a total of 800 round trip. This makes most games unplayable except MMO's.

Now 4G management makes this far less of a problem - I was playing on Left for Dead the other day and had a ping of 110 - which is good for a wired connection. Now Verizon also has a new service called Home Fusion that uses a large sealed antenna mounted outside of the house and gives you a VERY fast connection with a 20 gb cap. So most gaming is no problem just watch out downloading a bunch of Youtube stuff.

http://youreguide.vzw.com/a2/homefusion-broadband-verizon-4g-coverage-lte-web-access/

If you can get this in your area it will blow away most WISP speeds.
With all due respect, my dad was making about $75,000 a year 15 years ago working for an ISP company. So when the company went bankrupt, he did not have that job, but he only worked for that company and was not an investor.
So what I do not get is that you only spent $10,000 but then you said you completely gave up ie you said "I stopped in my area because Verizon 4G is damn good and now it is faster than I could provide with limited startup money." With out knowing anything about you, was $10,000 way way too little an amount to invest.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2013, 01:44:50 AM »
I agree that $10,000 was too little but I bought the T1 and tried to set 2 back haul antennas to carry the load to the far end and then buy the radios to feed each overlapping zone.

The trouble was the high amount of trees in the area and the fact that Verizon was starting to saturate it with 3G and then switching to 4G. The 2100-1900 mhz range is very poor for going through trees. The 700 range that they purchased from the old analog TV signal is far better for this and I can tell you at my house even with only 2 bars my air card is faster than the 10 mbps dsl my brother has.

People come here and ask what type of cable do you have this is blazing fast!

The trouble is the 10GB cap is painful for starting a new game. I will download the Secret World once my month starts again but until then my grand daughter and her Youtube downloads kill me.

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
  • CoH global: @Kristoff von Gelmini
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2013, 02:47:07 AM »
Verizon 4G is not available in our area.  AT&T was generously going to give us 4G for a $10,000 initial cost and $1200 a month.  I want what they are smoking.
LMAO!  Yeah, must be good stuff!

Re: missing CoH, I'll just say "everything" other than lag and rubber-banding or bugged missions.  Otherwise, I'd just come up with a copious list and still omit things worth including.  /em holdtorch
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine

Osborn

• Boss
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2013, 03:03:19 AM »
Satellite is not only bad for gaming because of the inherent lag but because after you download a ridiculously small amount, they throttle you.

What I have is my ISP's OLD large scale point-to-point wireless system; we share a transmitter, and the feed is bought from Cox cable.  As more people have come on the system, our connection has degraded.  And then there is the guy with the ham radio on the hill behind us, who talks to Spain every Sunday....basically trampling our signal with his noise.

The NEW point to point will give us our own transmitter and the feed is from fiber.

AT&T offered you a house payment for 4G internet  connection? Hah, that's almost so bad it's not even funny, but wrapped around to being funny again.

mikoroshi

• Boss
  • Author, Owner of Dogs
    • My Twitter
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2013, 05:37:53 AM »
When I have $10k to spend on my internet connection, I will instead spend it on good food.

Because I am getting real tired of Ramen.
If you see me posting here, you need to tell me to stop it and get back to writing.

Knight Light

• Lieutenant
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2013, 01:18:51 PM »
I miss my properly cultivated affliction.

You can think what you want.

I still maintain that acute altoholism saves more lives than it risks.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2013, 01:55:32 PM »
Wel the $10k was on trying to start up a new Wisp (Wireless ISP). It was a lot of work and I learned a great deal of stuff including how most of the wireless stuff works as well as how to better manage a business startup.

I would say overall it was worth the $10k for the lessons learned that no college in the country could teach for 5 times that amount.

I plan on starting up a pewter jewelry casting business and slowly buying my equipment and also a printer for making prototypes:
http://www.additive3d.com/3dpr_cht.htm

Some of the printers can print over 8 inch square products out of 10 colors of ABS plastic. One of the best sells for less than $2k.

Osborn

• Boss
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2013, 08:55:47 PM »
Wel the $10k was on trying to start up a new Wisp (Wireless ISP). It was a lot of work and I learned a great deal of stuff including how most of the wireless stuff works as well as how to better manage a business startup.

I would say overall it was worth the $10k for the lessons learned that no college in the country could teach for 5 times that amount.

I plan on starting up a pewter jewelry casting business and slowly buying my equipment and also a printer for making prototypes:
http://www.additive3d.com/3dpr_cht.htm

Some of the printers can print over 8 inch square products out of 10 colors of ABS plastic. One of the best sells for less than $2k.

They really need a new word for that than 'printer' as that sounds dumb as heck. Fabricator or something, maybe.

mikoroshi

• Boss
  • Author, Owner of Dogs
    • My Twitter
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2013, 11:20:57 PM »
They really need a new word for that than 'printer' as that sounds dumb as heck. Fabricator or something, maybe.

Awesomolator?
If you see me posting here, you need to tell me to stop it and get back to writing.

DashaBlade

• Underling
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2013, 12:22:44 AM »

I was going to say, "Just use the Star Trek word, and call it a replicator," but then I remembered that Replicators are Very Bad Things in Stargate SG-1.

Combobulator. *nods*

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2013, 12:35:26 AM »
I was going to say, "Just use the Star Trek word, and call it a replicator," but then I remembered that Replicators are Very Bad Things in Stargate SG-1.

Combobulator. *nods*

I always liked "matter compiler" from The Diamond Age.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2013, 05:47:28 AM »
Awesomolator?

Maybe an Aweseblator?  :o
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

Osborn

• Boss
« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2013, 06:36:43 AM »

Combobulator. *nods*

I chose fabricate because that's what it does. Replicate sort of makes it sound like it actively creates matter from thin air.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2013, 09:48:04 AM »
Plasticator?

Osborn

• Boss
« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2013, 05:20:07 PM »
Plasticator?

Hah, I guess that would very narrowly fit for this one specific type of 'printer'.

Nilbog

• Minion
« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2013, 08:49:04 PM »
I miss my BS/SR scrapper Slayer
The combination of speed and damage I do not believe I will be able to replicate in any other game quite as cleanly
I could solo, TF and pvp and always be valuable and deadly
All my builds and costumes to go with it were tweaked divinely to my liking
The emotes I miss as well
When a group was waiting for others to enter a mission, many times I would play look out and crouch on a high ledge, low cowl and cape flowing. One could roleplay and stay in character through the emotes without saying too much
I miss flying as well, I would dream about it occasionally as it is so much fun it enters your sub-conscience
I loved the fact that I was a god in pve but there was always more room to get more powerful in pvp and there is always someone better than you

I guess, like previously stated, I miss everything... I miss my virtual home

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2013, 11:20:35 PM »
The one thing that I have missed is a global friends list.

Without knowing exactly which character my altaholoc friends are playing on at any point in time, I find it difficult to play with my friends.

Especially if they make a new character.

CoH really spoiled me with the global friends list.  :'(

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2013, 06:46:49 AM »
CoH really spoiled all of us with a lot of ideas that were genuinely amazing and should by all rights have become expected standard features in every MMO the way WoW's dungeon finder did. Sidekicking, missions scaling to team size, global chat and friends lists, multiple builds (We had them before WoW had dual specs), etc... The list just goes on and on.

Osborn

• Boss
« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2013, 07:04:31 AM »
Sidekicking, in particular needs to become standard MMO feature. Also teams of 8, or at least 6. I really, really hate not being able to play with friends due to team restrictions or level restrictions.

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #54 on: January 12, 2013, 04:27:59 PM »
'But WoW hasn't done it yet so clearly it's a bad idea!'

God, I wish I could murder some of the apparently mindless sheep that seem to run the mainstream gaming industry sometimes.

Quinch

« Reply #55 on: January 12, 2013, 04:37:55 PM »
They're not sheep.

They're shearers.

Osborn

• Boss
« Reply #56 on: January 12, 2013, 06:55:26 PM »
The one thing that I have missed is a global friends list.

Without knowing exactly which character my altaholoc friends are playing on at any point in time, I find it difficult to play with my friends.

Especially if they make a new character.

CoH really spoiled me with the global friends list.  :'(

I think about the only real thing I did like about CO over CoH was that the global friends list was your only friends list, and the only unique name you had or needed was your global name, and the fact there was no real separated servers, just instances grown as demand needed.

I think CoH would had benefited a lot from both. Or maybe a "Role Playing" slash "Casual/PvE" slash French or German language server, but that's it.

I know some people were like 'Whaa, but people would crib off me and have the same name as me. I don't want 50 copies of me", but I never saw that as an issue.

Because let's be frank, if there's 50 guys with the exact same name as you because you named your guy Fire Man, chances are your name isn't really that original in the first place, you just happened to be the first one to sit down in the chair. And if your name is something like "Selena Guerette von Kliethermes", then chances are nobody's going to have the same name even if you let them.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #57 on: January 12, 2013, 07:45:38 PM »
Counter to that, and only because it was really creative, IMO, was the group of players on Virtue (I believe) who all named their characters some variation on "Ensign Red Shirt." I think they were Arachnos soldiers. That concept would play very well on the system that CO uses, particularly for a SG.

Osborn

• Boss
« Reply #58 on: January 12, 2013, 08:14:54 PM »
Counter to that, and only because it was really creative, IMO, was the group of players on Virtue (I believe) who all named their characters some variation on "Ensign Red Shirt." I think they were Arachnos soldiers. That concept would play very well on the system that CO uses, particularly for a SG.

I'd be totally cool with that sort of thing too. That actually sounds kind of cool. My RP Arachnos soldier's bio was just the NPC information for a Wolf Spider copied and pasted into his biography and I tried to make his text the same shade of blue that generic NPCs used.

I'm not, personally, worried that somebody in the whole of existence, now, before or after has the same name of 'Osborn' as me. I actively thought the idea that the universe has an enforced One Steve Limit was kind of dumb or odd. If I happened to be the first person to get the name 'Osborn' somewhere it's not because I'm original.

I mean, I recognize that for friend list and billing purposes that every Global user name has to be unique, but I really liked the freedom to have a non-unique character name.

Barring that I tend to put my character's last names in their name, which works for me but not for like, 90% of anybody else who doesn't want their character's name to be a 'realistic' name, and wants it to be a 'superhero' name.

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #59 on: January 13, 2013, 01:33:31 AM »
I'm not, personally, worried that somebody in the whole of existence, now, before or after has the same name of 'Osborn' as me. I actively thought the idea that the universe has an enforced One Steve Limit was kind of dumb or odd. If I happened to be the first person to get the name 'Osborn' somewhere it's not because I'm original.

When I was in high school, I was in a class that had 3 students named Jason.

I will agree that CO does have a good naming system. But, I don't think they have a global friends list like CoH did.
At least STO doesn't. I can't check my friends list and see that Bob@accounttemps is online instead of Weave@accounttemps, if I don't have Bob@accounttemps on the list.
If it listed any of the characters on the @accouttemps account that happened to be online at the time, then I would call it a global friends list.

Quinch

« Reply #60 on: January 13, 2013, 02:25:36 AM »
One way to deal with it would be to implement "First!" bragging rights with names - thus, while everyone could be a Bob, the very first Bob's name would have an unique identifier, like a special symbol or a different color. Something to identify, at a glance, that he was Bob before it was popular.

Osborn

• Boss
« Reply #61 on: January 13, 2013, 02:34:13 AM »
When I was in high school, I was in a class that had 3 students named Jason.

I will agree that CO does have a good naming system. But, I don't think they have a global friends list like CoH did.
At least STO doesn't. I can't check my friends list and see that Bob@accounttemps is online instead of Weave@accounttemps, if I don't have Bob@accounttemps on the list.
If it listed any of the characters on the @accouttemps account that happened to be online at the time, then I would call it a global friends list.
I'm pretty sure @Accounttemps is the ONLY way they're on my friend's list. Also, then that name is the same if they're on Champions, Star Trek Online, or even just on Jabber. You can talk to people in public and supergroups even if you're not in the game over Trillian or other clients that accept whatever the protocol is.

So you can be on Trillian and talk to people over a public chat who are in Star Trek Online, who are talking to people in Champions online.

Tater Todd

• Underling
« Reply #62 on: January 13, 2013, 04:09:32 AM »
I just finished watching a farewell COH vid and again I cried my eyes out.  I miss everything.

Steelhelm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #63 on: January 13, 2013, 06:20:58 AM »
Top 10 Things I Miss...

10. Badges
9. Inspirations (Those saved me hundreds of time in-game)
8. Enhancement System
7. Giant Monsters
6. Archetype System
5. Travel Powers (Flying was the best!)
4. Trials and Taskforces
3. Incarnate System
2. All the Zones of CoH (Especially Atlas Park)
1. Everything Else in City of Heroes I Didn't Put in this List.

Little Green Frog

• Boss
  • @Little Green Frog
« Reply #64 on: January 13, 2013, 10:06:03 AM »
I miss the ambient sounds, especially those from city zones, but also from certain maps like Arachnos bases or hi-tech laboratories. It was a diminutive thing that helped me feel immersed deeply in the surrounding world. But not only that. Sometimes when I needed to relieve a little bit of everyday stress, I was logging in just to hop around in one of my favourite zones and listen. It felt so soothing. I never picked up meditation, but I imagine that how it feels when you learn to do it properly.

Primantis

• Minion
« Reply #65 on: January 13, 2013, 10:34:05 AM »
I miss the quick, easy-going, casual friendly teams and PUGs.

Teaming just worked so well within CoX.. As long as the leader was on top of grabbing new missions it was nearly non-stop action, hopefully with lots of witty and friendly banter in the team chat box. When one tries to team in most other MMO's you spend all your time trying to sync up quests, having to deal with obtaining even more "Bear asses" since everyone needs their own, and worry more about level gaps (Why isn't something like the side kick/Exemp system more broadly implemented in other games? It's bloody genius!)..

CoH teams also had the added advantage of being easy to fill/easy to leave. If something came up and you had to hope off, no problem. Your team should get along just fine without you, so you don't feel much guilt in leaving.. Not like some other game's I've played where if a certain player throws in the towel the entire team is dysfunctional without them...

I'm finding other MMO's just a drag to play anymore.. No one teams, and if they do its through a group finder in a dungeon, which turns out to be a loot run.. End result being a rushed, super fast run, no one talks, they might as well be bots.

Then I also miss Defenders/Corruptors.. Hot-damn, they were support on steroids. Anyone who complained about those classes probably never played a WHM in FFXI, or a support class in pretty much any other MMO hehe..

mikoroshi

• Boss
  • Author, Owner of Dogs
    • My Twitter
« Reply #66 on: January 13, 2013, 11:13:54 AM »
One day, when I make my own MMO, I will make "bear asses" be a form of currency.  Thank you.  ROFL.

drowdruchii

• Underling
« Reply #67 on: January 13, 2013, 01:04:31 PM »
The look of the game. Some said it was looking worn and tired, but to me it was the best out there. Champions looks terrible even with the lines off, I can't handle the look over there at all, plus the zen costs are ludicrous for a game in maintenance mode.

Playing Avengers Alliance for my superhero fix...  aye, I've fallen that far.  ;D
We are dancing in the dark.

Sugoi

• Boss
« Reply #68 on: January 13, 2013, 01:55:54 PM »
I really, really miss being able to run my Defenders... Emp/Psi and Kin/Rad specialties.

My basic tactic in the later days was to buff the -1 (to team level) members so they'd contribute to the run, with an eye on the tank (who always said they didn't need any buffs) so I could help keep em alive when they bit off more than they could chew.

And Kin/Rads made the whole team killers (if they were smart enough to stay close to the action).  And they turned some of the nastiest AVs in the game into quickly killed creampuffs.  I called em AV Can Openers for a reason.

In CO teams seem to be extraneous... every team I've been on scatters to the wind after forming, so they all get their share of glowies and targets, with little or any cross-support between members.

So I've been soloing my Fire Inferno character Firedoll on CO... of course most of the time I encounter the boss of the mission, I get creamed... I looked it up, and yep, Infernos have a rep as a Glass Cannon.  So I just end the mission when I hit the boss, rather than die time and time again.  I don't get much Questonite, but have been levelling quite nicely otherwise.

Anxiously awaiting the return of CoH in whatever future form it may take.

Quinch

« Reply #69 on: January 13, 2013, 02:24:14 PM »
I miss...

I miss my mind/emp. I miss the championship-difficulty whack-a-mole it played as during the teen levels. I miss confusing Frostfire so he kills himself with his own pets. I miss flying into a mob, popping Fulcrum Shift and living long enough to fire off Hail of Bullets. I miss one-shotting an EB with twenty tripmines on the floor. I miss making posts on the forums how the aggro cap should be increased. I miss logging in and goofing around for half an hour before work. I miss ambushing newbies in Atlas Park with money and Halloween salvage. I miss coming up with character concepts that I almost never got around to roleplaying. I miss the tell hell that followed a LFM broadcast. I miss turning people away because the team was full. I miss the Atta cave. I miss Laura Lockheart. I miss Aaron Walker's last, best, final program.

Madadh

• Minion
« Reply #70 on: January 13, 2013, 04:04:01 PM »
I concur SO much.  About the teaming, and especially about the Defenders/Corrs (tho I always leaned WAY more to Defs, I'd take either in a heartbeat about now).

I miss the quick, easy-going, casual friendly teams and PUGs.

Teaming just worked so well within CoX.. As long as the leader was on top of grabbing new missions it was nearly non-stop action, hopefully with lots of witty and friendly banter in the team chat box. When one tries to team in most other MMO's you spend all your time trying to sync up quests, having to deal with obtaining even more "Bear asses" since everyone needs their own, and worry more about level gaps (Why isn't something like the side kick/Exemp system more broadly implemented in other games? It's bloody genius!)..

CoH teams also had the added advantage of being easy to fill/easy to leave. If something came up and you had to hope off, no problem. Your team should get along just fine without you, so you don't feel much guilt in leaving.. Not like some other game's I've played where if a certain player throws in the towel the entire team is dysfunctional without them...

I'm finding other MMO's just a drag to play anymore.. No one teams, and if they do its through a group finder in a dungeon, which turns out to be a loot run.. End result being a rushed, super fast run, no one talks, they might as well be bots.

Then I also miss Defenders/Corruptors.. Hot-damn, they were support on steroids. Anyone who complained about those classes probably never played a WHM in FFXI, or a support class in pretty much any other MMO hehe..

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
« Reply #71 on: January 13, 2013, 04:41:33 PM »

I'm pretty sure Enson Red Shirt was just one dude with a bunch of accounts. I think he posted here on Titan for a little bit, too.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #72 on: January 13, 2013, 06:14:58 PM »
I still have to dig through my screen shots, but there was one evening where five toons were standing in a clump on the steps, each with a different letter substituted. If it was all one guy, he had somehow gotten five different instances of the game running and parked in Atlas. Not saying you're wrong, just that it displayed a nearly unheard of level of dedication to pull that off.

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
« Reply #73 on: January 13, 2013, 07:09:22 PM »
I still have to dig through my screen shots, but there was one evening where five toons were standing in a clump on the steps, each with a different letter substituted. If it was all one guy, he had somehow gotten five different instances of the game running and parked in Atlas. Not saying you're wrong, just that it displayed a nearly unheard of level of dedication to pull that off.

Yup. That was my thought. Bunch of free accounts on one dedicated dude. I'm pretty sure he said at one point they were all him, too.  ;D

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #74 on: January 13, 2013, 09:18:19 PM »
That actually makes it more impressive... :)

srmalloy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #75 on: January 14, 2013, 04:44:59 AM »

Fabber.

Mister Bison

• Elite Boss
  • *psychotic grin*
« Reply #76 on: January 14, 2013, 06:59:42 AM »
Fabber.
Or UC (Universal Constructor), but in fact, it's just 3d printing.
Yeeessss....

Nafaustu

• Boss
« Reply #77 on: January 14, 2013, 08:20:59 PM »
I miss getting the whole crew 'together' despite distance some Tuesday evening after a bad day at work, turning my settings on +2 x8, and rocking the socks off whatever had the audacity to stand in our way.

Skype calls are much more depressing.

Pinnacle Blue

• Boss
  • Pinnacle Server is best server.
« Reply #78 on: January 15, 2013, 08:14:31 PM »

The day I discovered what /em batsmash looked like in Kheldian Dwarf Form was pretty amusing for me too.
Warshades don't take Alphas.  They give Alphas.

Knight Light

• Lieutenant
« Reply #79 on: January 23, 2013, 10:54:17 PM »
I miss helping lowbies gain a few quick levels by tanking through +4 x8 mobs on Decoy, my favourite scrapper, to the tune of old wrestling entrance themes.

This was one of my favourites to tank to for some reason.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ig5phtP3Z_0

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #80 on: January 23, 2013, 11:51:37 PM »
One thing I really miss, and didn't think I'd ever miss or never thought about it much, from City of Heroes were decent emotes and /em boombox.

It seems silly, I guess. But I really find that, I've been playing some other games to pass the time, and any time I'd get frustrated (but not angry) at waiting for something or another, I really missed good, varied persistent emotes.

I've found playing a game, while waiting for one team member or another to stop juggling their inventories or the stores or vault or.. whatever, I would default to Popdance or Boombox, rather than have my character stand there like the emotionally dead soul they are.

And I really miss it being gone. Like 75% of the emotes in most other games don't do anything other than "Osborn dances with Bob!" in the chat window, or they last a second or so before you have to keep putting them back up.

And for some strange reason, and it's probably just me, but I really... really... miss those.

The amount of times I've idly typed in /em boombox in other games while waiting for somebody to stop juggling what pair of pants has better numbers is surprisingly a lot.

I actually miss this quite a bit my self.  Other MMO's just don't seem to have the huge variety of /em that City of Heroes did.  For example the /em boombox had like what 10 different songs you could play on it?  Some day Primantis
I miss helping lowbies gain a few quick levels by tanking through +4 x8 mobs on Decoy, my favourite scrapper, to the tune of old wrestling entrance themes.

I miss doing this too my tank Flaming Duffle-bag (originally known as Flaming D-bag but of course changed) would just find a group of lowbies and throwing them a few levels just so they knew COH was full of kind fellow gamers that could and would help you out.

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
« Reply #81 on: January 24, 2013, 12:24:21 AM »
For example the /em boombox had like what 10 different songs you could play on it?
Twenty-five songs, actually.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #82 on: January 24, 2013, 12:27:38 AM »
I admit that I spent the bulk of my time in missions and very little on the more social aspects of the game, so I didn't really notice, but the /em list was a work in progress, right? I mean, it wasn't that diverse out of Beta, was it?

Knight Light

• Lieutenant
« Reply #83 on: January 24, 2013, 12:48:40 AM »
I admit that I spent the bulk of my time in missions and very little on the more social aspects of the game, so I didn't really notice, but the /em list was a work in progress, right? I mean, it wasn't that diverse out of Beta, was it?

They added lots of emotes as they went along but when I started near the end of Issue 3, the list was already fairly extensive. I can state that whatever emotes CoH had coming out of the gate were worlds better than all the emotes DCUO and Champions combined have today.

Perfidus

• Elite Boss
  • "I, ah.. understand."
    • My arts.
« Reply #84 on: January 24, 2013, 01:25:33 AM »
That's a fact. Champions is missing even the most basic of emotes, four years after launch.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #85 on: January 24, 2013, 01:40:31 AM »
That's a fact. Champions is missing even the most basic of emotes, four years after launch.

I didnt even bother using any until later and seen a few videos of the new dancing ones near the end . In CO I dont think I used a single emote besides the Crank dat Superman one a couple of times. The rest of the emotes are "meh" to me in both games.

Knight Light

• Lieutenant
« Reply #86 on: January 24, 2013, 01:58:28 AM »
I didnt even bother using any until later and seen a few videos of the new dancing ones near the end . In CO I dont think I used a single emote besides the Crank dat Superman one a couple of times. The rest of the emotes are "meh" to me in both games.

I didn't even go that far, I just chatted with a couple of girls for an hour, watched as they ran through the list of emotes and decided "Yup, I was right the first eleven times; I want nothing to do with this shitty game."

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #87 on: January 24, 2013, 02:06:17 AM »
I didn't even go that far, I just chatted with a couple of girls for an hour, watched as they ran through the list of emotes and decided "Yup, I was right the first eleven times; I want nothing to do with this pancakey game."

What does this pancakey thing means in that context? Been seeing it a while lately, used google and besides the thin, flat, round cake prepared from a batter and cooked on a hot griddle or frying pan food definition, I dont get it used in the context.

Now Urban dictionary meanings dont seem to fit. http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=pancake

And it did not show up in paragonwiki.com-before someone tries to jump down my throat again for not checking there. I checked this time and it isnt there.

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
« Reply #88 on: January 24, 2013, 02:16:32 AM »
It's an auto-text replacement for the expletive that is a synonym for defecate, as unicorn is a replacement for the fantasy creatures that live under bridges.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #89 on: January 24, 2013, 02:19:22 AM »
It's an auto-text replacement for the expletive that is a synonym for defecate, as unicorn is a replacement for the fantasy creatures that live under bridges.

Oooooooh that explains it. Thanks.

Knight Light

• Lieutenant
« Reply #90 on: January 24, 2013, 03:31:08 AM »
Yeah, it's possible that like 10% of my posts contain the word that "pancake" auto-replaces. What can I say; I'm a lifelong pacifist that finally has a reason to be royally pissed off.

Quinch

« Reply #91 on: January 24, 2013, 04:16:25 AM »
Oooooooh that explains it. Thanks.

That, in turn, was inspired by a post in the Rude Tells thread, I think. That or a thread about a particularly funny exchange with a GM, I forget.

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #92 on: January 24, 2013, 12:14:57 PM »
That, in turn, was inspired by a post in the Rude Tells thread, I think. That or a thread about a particularly funny exchange with a GM, I forget.

Yeah, I forget the exact reason but it was definitely a mod replacing some pottymouth language. The one who started it was either Ocho, Freitag, or possibly Moderator Fabulous while he was there.

And it doesn't even have to auto-replace with me, I just type out "pancake" now. Way more funny than really swearing. :D

Knightslayer

• Elite Boss
    • Monster Game!
« Reply #93 on: January 24, 2013, 03:52:14 PM »
I loved alakazamreact when it turned you into a pumpkin. That was great.

I had no interest in turning into a lamp or table though, so when that change happened I stopped using the emote.

You know what I miss? Being able to make any costume I wanted, and I could wear it anytime without it affecting my stats. The game I am in now, how you look = your stats and I HATE IT. Also, having to go to some NPC to "repair your armor" SUCKS. God what a waste of time.
Which is something I love in TSW, clothes are entirely cosmetic - you still need to repair your gear if you die though. (it's just invisible gear :P)

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #94 on: January 24, 2013, 04:23:22 PM »
Which is something I love in TSW, clothes are entirely cosmetic - you still need to repair your gear if you die though. (it's just invisible gear :P)
The weapons aren't invisible, but yeah. clothing is entirely cosmetic.

srmalloy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #95 on: January 24, 2013, 05:05:34 PM »
Yeah, it's possible that like 10% of my posts contain the word that "pancake" auto-replaces. What can I say; I'm a lifelong pacifist that finally has a reason to be royally pissed off.

Just remember that it's all just a hot, steaming pile of fewmets...

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #96 on: January 29, 2013, 01:57:35 AM »
Yeah, I forget the exact reason but it was definitely a mod replacing some pottymouth language. The one who started it was either Ocho, Freitag, or possibly Moderator Fabulous while he was there.

And it doesn't even have to auto-replace with me, I just type out "pancake" now. Way more funny than really swearing. :D
A couple years ago (more or less) on the CoH forums one of the mods altered the language filter so that instead of each letter of a censored being replaced by an asterisk it was replaced by the word "pancake". This wasn't in force for an entire day, but during that time it meant that if, say, "unicorn" was a filtered word it would show up as "pancakepancakepancakepancakepancakepancakepancake" instead of "*******". There was a brief period of puzzlement by forum posters over what was happening. Then hilarity ensued. (Or at least mild amusement.) Walls of pancakes sprang up in many threads.

i suspect that the intent was to replace the banned words with "pancake", but since the filter worked by replacing individual letters of a banned word with the chosen character(s) all banned words became a long string of pancakes.
So far so good. Onward and upward!